General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trial and Error of taper Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-14 12:41 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Trial and Error of taper

I have 0 experience with what kind of a taper works for me in an XC 6K race.

I've had a fairly intense period of racing (about 6 races in 10 weeks) and because the "A" race falls at the end of the series (mid December.) I haven't tapered much (20-30% reduction in MPW)  for any of these "B" type races leading up.

I have a race next weekend and have the opportunity to maybe experiment with a bigger taper (so that I can implement that for my "A" race if it works for me) because I have a few weeks before the next race. Should I take advantage of this and more greatly reduce miles and see how it goes or should I just continue to train through and reap the benefits of the training for the "A" race?

I should mention, these are XC races so other than how I "feel" (which I have a grasp on, but it can be subjective) it's a little more difficult to gauge if the taper is effective because times in XC are affected by so many variables.

TLDR: I am trying to weigh out experimenting with an actual taper vs just training through and reaping the benefits for an A race

2013-11-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Trial and Error of taper

I'd like to hear the responses to this, also.  I have a 'B' race a few weeks out from my 'A' next spring and would like to see how the taper affects performance at a distance I've never tried before (OLY), or will that taper be a loss of training opportunity during a peak?

2013-11-14 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I've had a fairly intense period of racing (about 6 races in 10 weeks) and because the "A" race falls at the end of the series (mid December.) I haven't tapered much (20-30% reduction in MPW)  for any of these "B" type races leading up.

I have a race next weekend and have the opportunity to maybe experiment with a bigger taper (so that I can implement that for my "A" race if it works for me) because I have a few weeks before the next race. Should I take advantage of this and more greatly reduce miles and see how it goes or should I just continue to train through and reap the benefits of the training for the "A" race?

I should mention, these are XC races so other than how I "feel" (which I have a grasp on, but it can be subjective) it's a little more difficult to gauge if the taper is effective because times in XC are affected by so many variables.

TLDR: I am trying to weigh out experimenting with an actual taper vs just training through and reaping the benefits for an A race

So I have absolutely no experience to answer this question, but I would love to see someone answer it who has a clue, so I'm bumping:)

I think it would depend on how important the A race was to me.  If it was really important (and I think we're talking about Nationals here, right?), I would absolutely experiment with the taper strategy now.  It doesn't seem like you will lose "that" much, if any, in training opportunity or fitness, and you could learn a lot.  Also, because of the strength component of the XC terrain, it strikes me that you could benefit even more from an optimized taper for this kind of race.

2013-11-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

To break it down further, I think a PERFECTLY executed taper will yield 1-2% tops in performance gain. Is it worth dialing back on a weeks worth of training to practice tapering when I don't exactly have an efficient way of measuring how effective the taper was?

2013-11-14 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

In my opinion, I'd think you would get more out of a race from finding an optimal taper than you would from a couple of days of additional hard training.  You are already a pretty finely tuned racer in terms of fitness, speed, etc.  You know where you are with that and probably are not going to gain a whole lot in the grand scheme of things from another workout or two.  But, sounds like you have not found or validated that you have the optimal taper. 

2013-11-14 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

To break it down further, I think a PERFECTLY executed taper will yield 1-2% tops in performance gain. Is it worth dialing back on a weeks worth of training to practice tapering when I don't exactly have an efficient way of measuring how effective the taper was?

Hmm. Is it really only 1-2%?

Still, I think there's a lot to be said for solving for some of the unknowns.  I know you can't reliably measure the effectiveness, but you really are so good at how you "feel" and I think there's a big part to the mental sharpness of taper too.  By practicing the taper you will be able to know not only what better rested legs feel like, but what racing with sharp(er) mental acuity feels like, and I think that could be very interesting for you, especially since you have had some breakthroughs recently in terms of strategy and pushing. 

You could even experience a net training gain by dialing it way back and then racing hard. Stranger things have happened :)

2013-11-14 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

So I've been working my way through Daniel's Running Formula on your recommendation a bit ago...and I think he addresses this. I don't remember exactly what he said (I'll look later tonight), but I seem to remember that you have more to gain from a properly executed taper and that training through will lead to smaller gains. i don't remember exactly what he said though.
2013-11-14 5:18 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by switch

Still, I think there's a lot to be said for solving for some of the unknowns.  I know you can't reliably measure the effectiveness, but you really are so good at how you "feel" and I think there's a big part to the mental sharpness of taper too.  By practicing the taper you will be able to know not only what better rested legs feel like, but what racing with sharp(er) mental acuity feels like, and I think that could be very interesting for you, especially since you have had some breakthroughs recently in terms of strategy and pushing. 

You could even experience a net training gain by dialing it way back and then racing hard. Stranger things have happened

You make some good points in the second paragraph.

And your point about getting a training gain by dialing it back and then racing hard is something I have considered. I would imagine much the way one single hard workout stimulates a small fitness gain. A race ran say, 30 seconds faster because of the 1% gain from taper might yield the same results as a "business as usual" type of week. Or maybe it won't. That's beyond my understanding for sure.

2013-11-14 5:21 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

1-2% compared to what?  

I think the bolded is important - how will you know if it worked or not?  When I swam, I had good tapers and not so good ones.  I could tell when one was nailed as my times would improve significantly.  However, I had a very reliable benchmark to go off as I was swimming the exact same distance every time in the pool.  Unless you have done this particular race before (multiple times really), are you really going to be able to tell? 

On top of that, let's say that you do nail it.  Will following the same taper work again in a few weeks?  Going through that taper week and racing will alter your training load and possibly mean you have to adjust the second taper accordingly.

Just some food for thought.    Personally I wouldn't do a full taper for a non A race just to see if it can be reused in a few weeks.  If you had a longer period between them then I'd give it more thought.

*disclaimer* - none of the above is based on any science!  I'm just thinking out loud.  

2013-11-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by axteraa

1-2% compared to what?  

I think the bolded is important - how will you know if it worked or not?  When I swam, I had good tapers and not so good ones.  I could tell when one was nailed as my times would improve significantly.  However, I had a very reliable benchmark to go off as I was swimming the exact same distance every time in the pool.  Unless you have done this particular race before (multiple times really), are you really going to be able to tell? 

On top of that, let's say that you do nail it.  Will following the same taper work again in a few weeks?  Going through that taper week and racing will alter your training load and possibly mean you have to adjust the second taper accordingly.

Just some food for thought.    Personally I wouldn't do a full taper for a non A race just to see if it can be reused in a few weeks.  If you had a longer period between them then I'd give it more thought.

*disclaimer* - none of the above is based on any science!  I'm just thinking out loud.  

I can't remember where I read that 1=2% but I think it was Daniels, I found this http://www.ausport.gov.au/sportscoachmag/planning/tapering_the_real_art_and_science_of_coaching

Which says 2-4% performance increase. So I would assume an increase in your performance with a taper vs. without? But I can't verify that source either.

And you make some very interesting points here too. And I appreciate the non-science answer  Definitely some things to consider.

2013-11-14 5:46 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by The Chupacabra

So I've been working my way through Daniel's Running Formula on your recommendation a bit ago...and I think he addresses this. I don't remember exactly what he said (I'll look later tonight), but I seem to remember that you have more to gain from a properly executed taper and that training through will lead to smaller gains. i don't remember exactly what he said though.

Yeah, he talks about taper for sure. I don't believe he brings up my dilemma though.

He does mention that runners who haven't reached a particularly high level of training might be better off with little taper because they are still making weekly improvement. I definitely feel as though I have room to make weekly improvement but I'm not sure if that fits the situation I laid out or not.

2013-11-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Personally, if it's not an A race, I would just do a "mini-taper". As in back off of hard training about 3-4 days in advance of the race, just doing some short easy runs and quick, short reps to keep up your muscle memory for speed. Then for the A race, do a real taper. You don't need to experiment. The real taper won't make you worse since you have a good base of fitness. How much faster it makes you depends on the way your body responds to training and rest, and maybe how tired you are from training.

I know two years ago I tapered for an A race (Angkor Wat HM) too late. There were personal and work issues involved as well, but I think. especially considering those, the race would have gone much better had I backed off hard training two weeks prior. For me, if I'm training hard, sometimes a week taper isn't enough. I'll actually end up feeling worse, for some reason, and this doesn't always resolve before the race. This year I'm going to start two weeks out by slightly backing off the run mileage and easing off my maintenance for bike and swim. That will give me time to get a little more sleep/down time and leave me with fresher legs for the run training. Then the following week, do a real taper on the running.

ETA This may be a bit conservative for you. I'm 44. I also work full time at a job that can have me on my feet for most of a 10-hour day, and my A races have a distressing tendency to get scheduled at the end of our school terms, which are the busiest times of the year! But I would still do a mini-taper for a B race, and a real taper of at least a week for an A race. For a "C" race, since by definition it's just part of training, I wouldn't taper, and wouldn't expect the result to reflect my true ability when rested.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-11-14 6:08 PM
2013-11-14 6:31 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I'm full of opinions and I just missed this thread. (It's hit or miss with me, regarding responses in TT or other places in BT. It's too big and too dangerous out there, so I usually stay in my log, safe and sound. )

First of all, you haven't really tapered during your racing season. You have done some 'mini tapers', meaning slight cutback in volume/intensity, but you don't get the real benefit of compensation/supercompensation. To do that, you really have to cut volume/intensity by 1/2 or more. It is a fine skill to hit your taper perfectly, but that's what the Olympic hopefuls try to do and the season must peak exactly when the athlete/coach wants it for full benefit. I was talking about Heather May before because she was engaged in a lively discussion back in 2003 when she was trying to make the Olympic team. (She had a B qualifier at the time, I think)

Yes, there are nuances to tapering, but there are some general rules.

I like graph in this article on compensation and tapering.
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/tapering-allows-olde...

or the one in this one
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/understand-the-gener...

Second, I'd recommend that you fully taper for this race. Your marathon is far out in the training cycle and this is your A race for the rest of the year 2013.

Consider a 2 week taper. Reduce volume by 50% the first week and another 50% the second week (race week). Put a couple of days of full rest prior to the race, unless you just need to run to keep the cobwebs off--do only 1/2 hr of running the day before the race and take the day off 2 days before. You won't detrain but you will ensure complete rest going into the race. And make sure you do a proper warmup on race day. Keep some intensity during the 2 week taper, but again, cut the duration of any quality workout in half. If you usually do 2 Q workouts, only do 1. It is better to perform workouts that are closer to the type of race, so long intervals are probably best for a 6K race.

If you were going to do 5x1000M-do only 3-4x800 at the same-not faster pace or something similar. Keep sharp but let your body rest and reap the true benefit of taper.

Still, I think there's a lot to be said for solving for some of the unknowns. I know you can't reliably measure the effectiveness, but you really are so good at how you "feel" and I think there's a big part to the mental sharpness of taper too. By practicing the taper you will be able to know not only what better rested legs feel like, but what racing with sharp(er) mental acuity feels like, and I think that could be very interesting for you, especially since you have had some breakthroughs recently in terms of strategy and pushing.

You could even experience a net training gain by dialing it way back and then racing hard. Stranger things have happened

And your point about getting a training gain by dialing it back and then racing hard is something I have considered. I would imagine much the way one single hard workout stimulates a small fitness gain. A race ran say, 30 seconds faster because of the 1% gain from taper might yield the same results as a "business as usual" type of week. Or maybe it won't. That's beyond my understanding for sure.

Yes, about 1-2%. Page 216 ,version 1 of Daniel's. (How's that Elesa?!) And you bring up a very good point about experiencing a net training gain. Remember, the object is to race faster. Once you do that, you allow faster training paces and can continue the slow path of improvements-which get harder, the faster you get...Every training stimulus has an immediate cost and you go a bit backwards before you are faster. The reason the formula: stress+rest=improvement works is because the rest period allows the muscles/neural circuits etc to grow and prepare for the next time they are assaulted with the task of faster running and that takes time. Time to rest and rebuild.

Everyone bring a different perspective to the table. I think it's too bad that people don't comment enough because they fear their opinion won't be heard. There have been some very terrific suggestions by people who certainly are not coaches or are trained in physiology.

And Elesa's point about paying particuliar attention to your taper: recording what you did, how it went and whether you think it worked or not...well, that is exactly how we individualize our own taper for best effect.

FWIW
Dale
2013-11-14 6:48 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great post Dale.

2013-11-14 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Yeah, he talks about taper for sure. I don't believe he brings up my dilemma though.

He does mention that runners who haven't reached a particularly high level of training might be better off with little taper because they are still making weekly improvement. I definitely feel as though I have room to make weekly improvement but I'm not sure if that fits the situation I laid out or not.

That sounds more like what I remember. Well...I have no further input. I usually just wing it and do what feels right. Hope you figure something out!

EDIT: I looked it up...I was thinking of something Pfitz said about when a schedule gets interrupted and not being able to complete a planned workout. Oops...

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-11-14 7:07 PM
2013-11-14 7:47 PM

New user

Here is a different experience with taper.

I had an Olympic tri scheduled for last weekend for several months. About one month before the tri I found out work was going to have me working long hours in a different timezone the week before the tri which basically translates into no workouts, no taper.

I am still relatively new to endurance training (a little over a year but not new to fitness) though I have done some reading about endurance training to get me to where I am. But out of paranoia I workout hard up until the day before I get on the plane to travel for work. During the work week the workouts I get in are some light stretching an nothing more. I get back to town and the timezone changes wreck my sleep and no workouts the 2 days before the Olympic distance tri. I figure no big deal at this point.

Race day comes and it turns out I am faster than ever before and especially on the run portion.

I am 46 and maybe the week off was the right amount of rest to prep for the race? i don't know but ideas/input are welcome.

-Mark

2013-11-14 8:32 PM
in reply to: 1Dude

User image

Pro

I watch the high school kids train and race all season........ends up being 8-10 races in about 10 weeks....all 5K.  They just keep working at about the same rate and get faster and faster.  The last 3 weeks are "championship races"......Districts, then Sectionals, then State...get in the top 30 or you don't race next weekend....and then they're right back at it the next week.  Four days before state they back off to the same distances they've been doing with tempo and speed workouts, but all easy running instead.  It worked pretty well.  Then again, you can do almost anything when you are 15-18 and not suffer from it.

2013-11-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by dtoce

I'm full of opinions and I just missed this thread. (It's hit or miss with me, regarding responses in TT or other places in BT. It's too big and too dangerous out there, so I usually stay in my log, safe and sound. )First of all, you haven't really tapered during your racing season. You have done some 'mini tapers', meaning slight cutback in volume/intensity, but you don't get the real benefit of compensation/supercompensation. To do that, you really have to cut volume/intensity by 1/2 or more. It is a fine skill to hit your taper perfectly, but that's what the Olympic hopefuls try to do and the season must peak exactly when the athlete/coach wants it for full benefit. I was talking about Heather May before because she was engaged in a lively discussion back in 2003 when she was trying to make the Olympic team. (She had a B qualifier at the time, I think) Yes, there are nuances to tapering, but there are some general rules.I like graph in this article on compensation and tapering.http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/tapering-allows-older-adults-to-switch-focus-from-fitness-to-skill-training-from-bending-the-aging-curve-by-joseph-signorileor the one in this onehttp://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/understand-the-general-principles-of-periodizationSecond, I'd recommend that you fully taper for this race. Your marathon is far out in the training cycle and this is your A race for the rest of the year 2013. Consider a 2 week taper. Reduce volume by 50% the first week and another 50% the second week (race week). Put a couple of days of full rest prior to the race, unless you just need to run to keep the cobwebs off--do only 1/2 hr of running the day before the race and take the day off 2 days before. You won't detrain but you will ensure complete rest going into the race. And make sure you do a proper warmup on race day. Keep some intensity during the 2 week taper, but again, cut the duration of any quality workout in half. If you usually do 2 Q workouts, only do 1. It is better to perform workouts that are closer to the type of race, so long intervals are probably best for a 6K race.If you were going to do 5x1000M-do only 3-4x800 at the same-not faster pace or something similar. Keep sharp but let your body rest and reap the true benefit of taper.

Still, I think there's a lot to be said for solving for some of the unknowns. I know you can't reliably measure the effectiveness, but you really are so good at how you "feel" and I think there's a big part to the mental sharpness of taper too. By practicing the taper you will be able to know not only what better rested legs feel like, but what racing with sharp(er) mental acuity feels like, and I think that could be very interesting for you, especially since you have had some breakthroughs recently in terms of strategy and pushing.

Yes, about 1-2%. Page 216 ,version 1 of Daniel's. (How's that Elesa?!) And you bring up a very good point about experiencing a net training gain. Remember, the object is to race faster. Once you do that, you allow faster training paces and can continue the slow path of improvements-which get harder, the faster you get...Every training stimulus has an immediate cost and you go a bit backwards before you are faster. The reason the formula: stress+rest=improvement works is because the rest period allows the muscles/neural circuits etc to grow and prepare for the next time they are assaulted with the task of faster running and that takes time. Time to rest and rebuild.Everyone bring a different perspective to the table. I think it's too bad that people don't comment enough because they fear their opinion won't be heard. There have been some very terrific suggestions by people who certainly are not coaches or are trained in physiology.And Elesa's point about paying particuliar attention to your taper: recording what you did, how it went and whether you think it worked or not...well, that is exactly how we individualize our own taper for best effect.FWIWDale
Wow. Excellent! And thank you!!!!
2013-11-14 10:22 PM

User image

Seattle
And thank you all for your fantastic answers and input. I can only speak to my own threads but all opinions are valued with me. At a minimum at least we can talk about why we feel the way we do and perhaps all learn something.
2013-11-15 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

OK - so I'm late to the party here.  

(NB: there is a TLDR at the bottom.  I like that approach, oh salty one)  

LB makes a good point about a short/non-existent taper, and that young-uns can get away with a lot more.  I think the short taper is good for a true B race.  BUT, all of those races you have leading up the A can't be B's - most have to be C's, right?  So...

I got a bit behind this past season as, when looking back, I treated a couple too many races as B's with mini tapers and wound up with a bit less training stress than I would have liked coming into the A's in the middle and end of season.  

To me, and perhaps only FOR me (the standard YMMV disclaimer here), looking at a block of races with an A at the end, I'd want to "train through" most of them leading up to the A.  For one mid cycle B race, a mini-taper, sure.  This gives you a peek at how your body reacts to the taper and can help dial in the length and total cut back amount of the full taper (along with how close you are to peak training - if you haven't the total volume, you'll want less taper/more stress until the final race taper, IME).

I would be wary of a full taper as an experiment, though, as it might scrub more fitness than you want - unless you're already feeling training overload.  In that case, you might back off a bit more (sort of a mini-period).  But, for me this season the couple extra tapers (short ones, but tapers) leading to earlier races scrubbed some fitness that I didn't want to lose before the big races.

One aside, I had a forced taper before my last tri (a local fun sprint) secondary to injury.  I thought I'd be completely dead-legged going into it but drilled it - and surprised the heck out of myself.  I **think** part of that was not having lost a lot of base and being able to "fake it" a little in a shorter race - but my legs definitely worked well (and was I ever sore the next day!).  I could not have made another "withdrawal" from my training bank after that race, but the time off seems to have helped.

TLDR:  don't do too many tapers - even small ones - before the one that really counts.  And, for the one that counts, it depends on how much stress you have coming into the taper and what has worked for you before (and even then it seems hard to hit it just right - gotta have a little luck, too).

I hope you DRILL IT!!

Matt

2013-11-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Hot Runner Personally, if it's not an A race, I would just do a "mini-taper". As in back off of hard training about 3-4 days in advance of the race, just doing some short easy runs and quick, short reps to keep up your muscle memory for speed. Then for the A race, do a real taper. You don't need to experiment. The real taper won't make you worse since you have a good base of fitness. How much faster it makes you depends on the way your body responds to training and rest, and maybe how tired you are from training. I know two years ago I tapered for an A race (Angkor Wat HM) too late. There were personal and work issues involved as well, but I think. especially considering those, the race would have gone much better had I backed off hard training two weeks prior. For me, if I'm training hard, sometimes a week taper isn't enough. I'll actually end up feeling worse, for some reason, and this doesn't always resolve before the race. This year I'm going to start two weeks out by slightly backing off the run mileage and easing off my maintenance for bike and swim. That will give me time to get a little more sleep/down time and leave me with fresher legs for the run training. Then the following week, do a real taper on the running. ETA This may be a bit conservative for you. I'm 44. I also work full time at a job that can have me on my feet for most of a 10-hour day, and my A races have a distressing tendency to get scheduled at the end of our school terms, which are the busiest times of the year! But I would still do a mini-taper for a B race, and a real taper of at least a week for an A race. For a "C" race, since by definition it's just part of training, I wouldn't taper, and wouldn't expect the result to reflect my true ability when rested.

I think you make a really interesting point about all of the outside factors/stresses that come into play.

When I have a taper week I find I tend to cram in all the crap that I had been missing out on due to training. Then pretty soon I'm overbooked with social obligations, errands and side projects.

I am going to try and work on this!

2013-11-15 1:17 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

LB makes a good point about a short/non-existent taper, and that young-uns can get away with a lot more.  I think the short taper is good for a true B race.  BUT, all of those races you have leading up the A can't be B's - most have to be C's, right?  So...

I got a bit behind this past season as, when looking back, I treated a couple too many races as B's with mini tapers and wound up with a bit less training stress than I would have liked coming into the A's in the middle and end of season.  

To me, and perhaps only FOR me (the standard YMMV disclaimer here), looking at a block of races with an A at the end, I'd want to "train through" most of them leading up to the A.  For one mid cycle B race, a mini-taper, sure.  This gives you a peek at how your body reacts to the taper and can help dial in the length and total cut back amount of the full taper (along with how close you are to peak training - if you haven't the total volume, you'll want less taper/more stress until the final race taper, IME).

I would be wary of a full taper as an experiment, though, as it might scrub more fitness than you want - unless you're already feeling training overload.  In that case, you might back off a bit more (sort of a mini-period).  But, for me this season the couple extra tapers (short ones, but tapers) leading to earlier races scrubbed some fitness that I didn't want to lose before the big races.

One aside, I had a forced taper before my last tri (a local fun sprint) secondary to injury.  I thought I'd be completely dead-legged going into it but drilled it - and surprised the heck out of myself.  I **think** part of that was not having lost a lot of base and being able to "fake it" a little in a shorter race - but my legs definitely worked well (and was I ever sore the next day!).  I could not have made another "withdrawal" from my training bank after that race, but the time off seems to have helped.

TLDR:  don't do too many tapers - even small ones - before the one that really counts.  And, for the one that counts, it depends on how much stress you have coming into the taper and what has worked for you before (and even then it seems hard to hit it just right - gotta have a little luck, too).

I hope you DRILL IT!!

Matt

TLDR

Just kidding!  

You are right, those races were more like a series of "C's" because if they were B's, I would likely not only taper but also recover (similar to how I would for a HM in a marathon build-up.)

Do you not feel that a taper provided and increase in performance in your "B/C" race that then provided you an even greater ability to hit harder training paces?

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-11-15 1:21 PM
2013-11-15 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I hope you DRILL IT!!

Matt

TLDR

Just kidding!  

You are right, those races were more like a series of "C's" because if they were B's, I would likely not only taper but also recover (similar to how I would for a HM in a marathon build-up.)

Do you not feel that a taper provided and increase in performance in your "B/C" race that then provided you an even greater ability to hit harder training paces?

The taper for the B races let me go faster during the race, but it was at the cost of a bit less training stress prior.  I don't taper at all for a C race (except maybe to move a light day from midweek to just prior, perhaps).  In these, I didn't go as fast during the race, but I had more total stress that week (and maybe even a bit more so the following week, as I don't need as much recovery from a C as from a B - just that little bit more speed (same effort, more speed) requires some recovery for me for some reason, even when it's the same total work).

So, yes I went faster with even a mini-taper.  But, I didn't notice (at least that I could tell) a difference in the paces I could hit during training.  In some ways, it was almost the opposite in that I went faster in a B race and that tore me down just a bit more, so I needed some recovery afterwards.  In both cases, my training paces picked up - but I THINK for the same reason.  Amount of training stress consistently applied.

It was just applied differently, but evened out (as long as there weren't too many B's - that was my original point: lot's of mini-tapers is lots of stress you don't get, and that led to a slightly slower final A race than I think I could have put together, or at least it felt that way).

My paces got better in a consistent manner all season.  However, they improved more with consistent training.  Note that within that consistency, there was a LOT of variation as to how I applied it (intervals, long steady, tempo, etc.), but the higher the total volume, the faster-er I got.  

I hadn't noticed this same effect as much when I was a single endurance sport focused person (running), as I always seemed able to get consistent work in.  Balancing the load with all 3 was harder, and so I think this effect was more pronounced (although even then only in retrospect).  This was my first FULL season of tri, so I'm really still learning the cause:effect relationship.

IOW, YMMV.

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trial and Error of taper Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To Taper or NOT to Taper.....

Started by bmeere
Views: 853 Posts: 8

2011-07-18 4:57 PM TriMyBest

To taper or not to taper???

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 1252 Posts: 11

2009-02-12 1:15 PM JorgeM

Training Errors

Started by ejc999
Views: 1119 Posts: 11

2008-06-20 10:33 AM hurtin

HR reading correct or user error?

Started by bfritton
Views: 643 Posts: 11

2007-06-20 4:53 PM thewiseacre

And let's not overlook the grammar error...

Started by kelpeng
Views: 987 Posts: 17

2004-07-28 6:14 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
Shin splints occur in up to 13.1% of all runners. Sixty-percent of those presented with this complaint have errors in training.