General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed with how LITTLE calories triathlon training burns. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-05-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3488574

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Disappointed with how LITTLE calories triathlon training burns.

I'm no expert, and I weigh in at 274 currently (down from 350+ a long time ago) - so take this with a grain of water-retaining salt....

How do you know that the calories burned at the gym number is accurate? I didn't see anyone ask this yet, so I will. From what I've seen, the typical digital readouts on equipment, vastly over estimate this number. Heck, my Garmin tells me I burned over 1200 calories on a 12 mile bike ride. It bases this on my weight and distance and pace, but there's no way 1200 is even close. I've heard that gym equipment is usually way off. It overestimates on purpose.

Also, 143 to 115 in 6 months sounds reasonable, but 28 pounds coming off of a 143 pound person is a lot harder than 28 pounds coming off a 300 pound person.

But I've found the facts here bear out in my life. I ate a lot less and dropped weight, but when I stopped focusing on diet and trained harder, I gained endurance, but weight loss stagnated. It's all about the diet.

Edited by TheClaaaw 2011-05-09 7:57 AM

2011-05-09 8:09 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Normal range for my height is 108 lbs - 145 lbs, so admittedly I want to go low.  My body likes 140, I don't.  Fighting it at 1k hasn't worked, so I'm fighting it at 500 and seeing what happens
2011-05-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3488765

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
ajusf16 - 2011-05-09 9:49 AM

if you eat certain foods with low calories you can increase your intake vs 1 big mac and one starbucks frappacino

I can eat 1900 calories and be full thorughout the day and consume more than if I ate the bigmac/coffee combo and not be full for the day

I agree with this; the type of food can make a big difference in how full one feels through the day.

Shane
2011-05-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3488827

User image

Veteran
Columbus
gsmacleod - 2011-05-09 9:13 AM
ajusf16 - 2011-05-09 9:49 AM if you eat certain foods with low calories you can increase your intake vs 1 big mac and one starbucks frappacino

I can eat 1900 calories and be full thorughout the day and consume more than if I ate the bigmac/coffee combo and not be full for the day

I agree with this; the type of food can make a big difference in how full one feels through the day. Shane

This was the point I was trying to get at.  After reading my post again I can see how it would be confusing.  Starting my 2nd coffee IV as we speak so this Monday should perk right up!

2011-05-09 8:37 AM

User image

Regular

Seriously, if you're doing triathlon to lose weight, you're doing it for the wrong reason.  And this is coming from somebody that has lost 45 and needs to lose 20 still.  If your main goal is to burn calories, you may as well go to step class instead.  The goal of most tri activities is to be efficient, not burn the maximum calories.

Also, if you're taking a minute to swim 25 metres, I guarantee you that your form is not very good, which means you are probably working very hard (hence burning a lot of calories) to not go that fast.  I've gotten into a coached swim program and cut 20% off my time.  I am certain that I actually burn less calories going faster.

2011-05-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3488894

User image

Expert
_Deb_ - 2011-05-09 9:37 AM

Seriously, if you're doing triathlon to lose weight, you're doing it for the wrong reason.  And this is coming from somebody that has lost 45 and needs to lose 20 still.  If your main goal is to burn calories, you may as well go to step class instead.  The goal of most tri activities is to be efficient, not burn the maximum calories.

Also, if you're taking a minute to swim 25 metres, I guarantee you that your form is not very good, which means you are probably working very hard (hence burning a lot of calories) to not go that fast.  I've gotten into a coached swim program and cut 20% off my time.  I am certain that I actually burn less calories going faster.

I could not disagree more with this.  Whatever the you need to motivate you, that is what you need to do.

As you move along in your tri experience you will realize you need to adjust other things in your life to improve your times.
To say it is the wrong reason is off base IMO. I enjoy TRI a lot, but my main goal is to lose weight. TRI is what I use to get to that point and it is working. Granted I did adjust my diet to encourage the weight loss.

2011-05-09 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
The type of food doesn't matter when it comes to the number of calories it has and creating a deficit. The type of food will just impact the volume of food, satiety, and performance. So we're all pretty much agreeing . I'm not using tri'ing to lose weight but I do want to lose weight so I have to adjust.
2011-05-09 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Congrats on your weight loss to date.
Regarding your original comments, if you were getting the "calories burned" info from the gym machines such as eliptical, I have heard that those grossly exaggerate the number of calories burned per hour anyways, even with accurate input such as height and weight. I think that tri training burns a lot of calories while giving your body a pretty complete workout, add in some ST and you are pretty much working your entire body and cardio systems on a weekly basis.
It seems that your main goal is weight loss, rather than performance gains in triathlon? If so, the previous posters have given some good insight into diet. If your concern is to get better at triathlon then fuel your body well and train harder. If you are trying to acheive both (weight loss and improvement in s/b/r) at the same time, then you will probably have to accept lower weight loss numbers because it is difficult to train hard while maintaining a significant calorie deficit.
Good luck   
2011-05-09 9:23 AM

"You diet for weight loss, you exercise for fitness" -- sports medicine doc friend of mine

I think this is what is going on:

1.  You are underestimating your calories consumed.  Re-examine your diet.  Nutrition labels can be off by as much as 20% according to the law.  That 20% is your weightloss.

2.  You are overestimating your calories burned.  Gym machine readouts are inaccurate as are Garmin and HRM numbers.  Also, as your weight decreases to do your caloric needs.

3.  You are overestimating your caloric needs.  As your weight drops your BMR drops too.

The bodybugg is not accurate.  It is a neat gizmo to get the morbidly obese moving in the right direction in terms of diet and exercise, but it is not accurately measuring your caloric expenditure. 

Cut your diet by another 250 calories.  You aren't running the deficit you think you are.  Increase time and intensity of tri training.

Change your thinking.  Stop thinking about "deficit" like your bodybugg conditioned you to do, and concern yourself with intake.

Edited by jmot 2011-05-09 9:41 AM
2011-05-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3488614

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

jsnowash - 2011-05-09 6:34 AM  If your primary goal is weight loss, then do what you need to do to reach that goal.

What she said.

What is your primary goal here?  Weight loss?  Completing an Oly?  Completing a century ride?

2011-05-09 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3488775

TheClaaaw - 2011-05-09 7:56 AM

But I've found the facts here bear out in my life. I ate a lot less and dropped weight, but when I stopped focusing on diet and trained harder, I gained endurance, but weight loss stagnated. It's all about the diet.

Quoted for truth

2011-05-09 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stoughton, WI

Another voice of "I'm no expert but...." chiming in.

Are you getting ENOUGH calories? You need X number of calories per day just to breath, blink, walk, etc.

If you fall below this number by diet and exercise, you body will think you are entering a famine, and start "saving" your fat and "eat" your muscles (not literally!). So it's quite possible you need to eat more.

Second, is your weight your only means of measurement of success? You shouldn't be doing it only that way. Measure your upper arm, chest, waist, hips, upper thighs and keep track. Many times you just replacing the fat with muscle, and measuring is a better way of judging progress.

2011-05-09 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

Not entirely sure, but you sure do seem fixated on the number on the scale.

Have you considered % body fat? Body image? Or some other better metric?

2011-05-09 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3489032

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
rcav8r - 2011-05-09 9:37 AM

Another voice of "I'm no expert but...." chiming in.

Are you getting ENOUGH calories? You need X number of calories per day just to breath, blink, walk, etc.

If you fall below this number by diet and exercise, you body will think you are entering a famine, and start "saving" your fat and "eat" your muscles (not literally!). So it's quite possible you need to eat more.

Second, is your weight your only means of measurement of success? You shouldn't be doing it only that way. Measure your upper arm, chest, waist, hips, upper thighs and keep track. Many times you just replacing the fat with muscle, and measuring is a better way of judging progress.

^^^^This

I've lost 20lbs since the first of the year.  The past month I only lost about 2lbs despite my training increasing.  However, during that month I also lost 1/2 and inch from my waist and hips and another combined 1/2 and inch from the rest of my body, plus I dropped a pant size.  Weight shouldn't be the only thing you go by.  Take measurements, get a body fat % reading, go by how your clothes fit.

2011-05-09 12:25 PM

Okay... a lot of what has been said is good info, but...

Unless you go get crazy expensive (and hard to find) tests done, you or I will never know how many calories we burn during an exercise, nor will that number be consistent every time.  Everything you see on a machine or read in a book or hear on the net is probably going to be an estimation of some sort.   Even though I have a degree in this, have certifications for it, and do it for a living, it is still somewhat guesswork (well at least not an exact science).   Everyone is different.

Now, with that being said, you are on the right track.   Trying to figure out calories or (Kcal) expended vs those consumed is a good habit to get into for losing weight.  Though I have not read this whole topic, I noticed you stated something to the effect of your body liking 140 and that you were fighting it to go lower.   This is a very common and true part of weight loss or any other adaptation of the body.  Everyones body tends to have a certain steadystate assuming they ate the exact calories they expended every day.   That goes for all parts of it... the amount of fat you carry, the muscle, the bone, etc.   The further you get from that point the harder it will be to maintain. 

Also, just because you are burning calories, does not mean they are fat calories.   When people say they want to lose weight, they are speaking of fat calories.   If you are training for a triathlon, and you are exercising fairly hard, then you are likely burning more calories from sugar than you are fat.   Oddly enough fat calories are best burned at a slow easy pace over long peroiods of time.    Sometimes your goals for weight loss and goals for triathlons will not go well together.

Anyway, if you want me to go over numbers that are specific to you and your situation, you can send me a message.   Hopefully some of this info will help with general ideas though.

2011-05-09 12:54 PM

User image

Master

Deb, why don't you pick a week and log all your food and workouts here on BT and see if you can get some more focused feedback.

Also, what is your BF%? If you are very lean, losing the last pounds will be harder, and it will have to involve losing some muscle.

2011-05-09 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Wow.....I'm thinking if I was as obsessed with numbers as some people are, I'd be sucking every ounce of fun out of my workout routine. Maybe that's just me *shrug*.

I'm speaking as a 5'5" (when I try to be) 135ish lb female. Could I stand to lose 5 or so pounds? Sure. I don't think I'm built to weigh much less than that without looking like I'm starving. Should I eat as much pizza and snacks and ice cream as I do? Probably not. Could I exercise more? Sure, but (a) I try to keep my life balanced, which includes devoting time to work, my husband, my social life and just plain old down time, and (b) I'm fighting with an overuse injury, so my perspective has changed quite a bit recently.

I've also lost 35 lbs in the past couple of years by making healthy lifestyle changes. I don't eat NEARLY as much crap as I used to, and I work out a lot more. I never thought I could swim a mile or run a half marathon. But focusing on how many calories I'm eating/burning would just make me crazy. I just try to do the things that I enjoy, in moderation, and observe how my body (and mind!) responds to it.

2011-05-09 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

log your food, and when I say log your food I mean EVERY LITTLE THING!

/thread

2011-05-09 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Deb, Congrats on your efforts!  I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here because this particular topic was not mentioned, so...

Over the past few years I've gotten myself in shape and really changed my eating habits.  I didn't want to  go into my 40's fat and unfit.  Last year I discovered triathlon and was hooked, so this is year two for me.  My goal was to get to 150 by race day last year (I'm 5'8") and I barely touched it, for a day, one day prior to race day.  And even through concerted effort and watching my diet, I really hovered around 155-158 all summer.

Then I got injured and the holidays hit, and I was back up to 160.  I started training again and went back to my training diet, but nothing was happening.  I was frustrated.  So I hauled out my "Paleo Diet for Endurance Athletes" book that I had read during the previous summer and got the new cookbook, and started Paleo eating in March.

After no weight budge for weeks, I started losing.  I'm now down to 144 and still losign a little bit.  My body fat is much lower, and my lean muscle is starting to show.  I have tremendous energy and training for my next race in 1 month is going well.

So, my point is, maybe it's time to shake things up a bit.  I'm not sure how old you are, but I know for certain once you hit 40 the game changes and you've got to keep outsmarting your body.  Paleo eating takes some time to get into, but cutting dairy, grains, sugar and salt from my diet has made a huge difference for me.  YMMV!

Good luck!

2011-05-09 2:45 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Some good points here. I'll summarize the important ones and add my own.

1. It is UNLIKELY that your metabolism has slowed down. Yes, this is a popular thing to say, but it really requires extreme conditions, i.e., actual starvation or near starvation for this to happen. So, don't be afraid to take your calorie deficit even lower, unless, as someone mentioned, it affects the quality of your workouts.

2. Some of the sarcastic comments in red are, unfortunately, true. Like the one about gaining more weight leading to increased calorie burn. At a weight of 230, a one-hour mountain bike ride at 14 mph will burn over 1,000 calories. However, my guess is you don't want to go to 230 - heck, I don't even want to be at 230. The harsh reality is that the closer you get to the weight you want the harder it is to lose.

3. Go faster, longer. While you don't need to train for an Ironman, you do need to increase pace and distance. As my good buddy The Bear mentioned, riding at 10 mph is quite leisurely. Unless, of course, you're riding hills, in which case you need a calories-burned formula that adjusts for this increased intensity. Otherwise, it's not accurate.

4. As others have mentioned, add other activities. Lifting weights is a good choice for those seeking fat loss, for many reasons. And before you ask, the answer is no, you will not gain a bunch of muscle from lifting weights, especially if you're in a calorie deficit.

5. Understand that the body tends to do things in spurts. Although we would prefer nice, linear progress, the body doesn't work that way. Implement some of the above suggestions and you will see resumed weight loss.
2011-05-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3489462

Cnorrod - 2011-05-09 12:25 PM

Okay... a lot of what has been said is good info, but...

Unless you go get crazy expensive (and hard to find) tests done, you or I will never know how many calories we burn during an exercise, nor will that number be consistent every time.  Everything you see on a machine or read in a book or hear on the net is probably going to be an estimation of some sort.   Even though I have a degree in this, have certifications for it, and do it for a living, it is still somewhat guesswork (well at least not an exact science).   Everyone is different.

Now, with that being said, you are on the right track.   Trying to figure out calories or (Kcal) expended vs those consumed is a good habit to get into for losing weight.  Though I have not read this whole topic, I noticed you stated something to the effect of your body liking 140 and that you were fighting it to go lower.   This is a very common and true part of weight loss or any other adaptation of the body.  Everyones body tends to have a certain steadystate assuming they ate the exact calories they expended every day.   That goes for all parts of it... the amount of fat you carry, the muscle, the bone, etc.   The further you get from that point the harder it will be to maintain. 

Also, just because you are burning calories, does not mean they are fat calories.   When people say they want to lose weight, they are speaking of fat calories.   If you are training for a triathlon, and you are exercising fairly hard, then you are likely burning more calories from sugar than you are fat.   Oddly enough fat calories are best burned at a slow easy pace over long peroiods of time.    Sometimes your goals for weight loss and goals for triathlons will not go well together.

Anyway, if you want me to go over numbers that are specific to you and your situation, you can send me a message.   Hopefully some of this info will help with general ideas though.

You do this for a living?  Many points here run contrary to other information.

I got a VO2max done, with resting metabolic, for $85.  Some of the information provided included which fuels were being utilized, what percentage and total.  As my exertion climbed, so did the fat oxidation as well as total caloric expenditure.

Can you clarify?

Edited by jmot 2011-05-09 3:22 PM

2011-05-09 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3489462

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Just to add to jmot's comment about "you do this for a living?"

Cnorrod - 2011-05-09 12:25 PM

True but irrelevant. You could say the same thing about the calorie content of food - it's an estimate. An estimate of calories burned and consumed is good enough since the difference between estimated and actual is not likely to be off by hundreds of calories.

Cnorrod

Is this steady state idea still accepted? Any attempt to lose weight will be difficult and met with resistance from the body. No one said this was easy.

Cnorrod

Irrelevant. Let's literally do the math on this:

Suppose you burn 200 calories in 60 minutes in the "fat burning zone." About 50 percent of those calories will be fat. 50 percent of 200 is 100. You've burned 100 calories of fat.

Suppose you go at a higher intensity and train in the "cardio zone." After 60 minutes, you've burned 300 calories. In cardio zone training, about 40 percent of the calories burned will be fat. It is true that 40 percent is a smaller number than 50 percent. HOWEVER...what's 40 percent of the 300 calories that were burned? It's 120! Your total fat-calories burned were 120! This is 20 percent MORE fat burned, than what you did in the fat burning session.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2011-05-09 3:50 PM
2011-05-09 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

From my experience 1600 is too much for you. I am a 6'0" tall 190lbs male and I am at 1,800 a day and losing weight. My mother in law has lost over 40lbs in the last few months, she is 5'5" 140 and she eats 1,200 a day to lose weight.

Also your numbers on tri training are way off. One minute per 25 yards in the pool is dismally slow and 10mph on the bike is beach cruiser strolling.

2011-05-09 3:58 PM

User image

Runner
Calories burned running is generally estimated to be (weight of the runner / .63) * (distance run). Note, this is Net Calories Burned, which estimates basal metabolism. Your actual numbers may be slightly different.

The less you weigh, the fewer calories you expend. The shorter the distance, the fewer calories you expend. Effort does not determine the number of calories burned, only the primary source of those calories. If you do high intensity, you tend to burn more of your glycogen stores than your fat stores. The advantage to higher intensity is that it has a loose correlation with distance traveled (meaning the harder you work, generally speaking the further you've traveled).

If you want to burn more calories, go further. To go further, you will probably have to use a lower effort level, which means it will take you longer.
2011-05-09 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

If the OP is only taking in 1600 calories a day, he is already addressing diet issues.  One problem is that he needs to be in better shape so he can burn off more calories in a day.  I wouldn't encourage setting a goal of more than 4 pounds per month, especially if your workouts are less than 2 hours a day at reallly low intensity.  If you were working out 3 hours a day with good intensity you would be burning 1500 calories ish and that would be fine for creating a stable weight loss plan.  As you are burning 500 or less, yes it will take longer, but any deficit will be helpful.   

Exercise is almost always a smart part of a weight loss program, so to say that it is irrelevent is silly.  I am down 40 pounds and have stayed in the neg 30 to neg 45 range for 3 years, mostly through exercise.  My motabolism is epically low.  Exercise helps it along a bit.  Good luck and keep at it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed with how LITTLE calories triathlon training burns. Rss Feed  

of 6