BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-13 2:51 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi everyone

Wondering if i can join in on the fun and camaraderie? 

I am a long time BT-er and sometimes lurker

I am not training for anything right now but trying to keep up some consistency to keep the stress and fluff off.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving - we celebrated today by enjoying the amazing weather (thunderstorm is rolling in right now) - we had an awesome family turkey dinner yesterday! 

I'll poke in tomorrow!

Have a good night!

Jen

Welcome to the crazy Jen

2015-10-13 2:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So after being back at work for the grand total of a day and a half after holidays I have decided that I really need to win lotto so that I dont have to work anymore! I am just so very OVER IT ALL!
2015-10-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True...was gonna say....Trying to explain fly is pretty hard. Best bet is to watch someone do it, then put on some fins and go at it in the pool. The propulsion is really not coming mainly from your arms or shoulders but from core, hips, and legs. (It's clearly not about brute upper body strength--My body's a pretty good refutation of that!) Much easier with fins. They will take away a lot of the cardio load and make it easier to focus on rhythm. Then gradually wean yourself off them. Longer fly is somewhat of a different animal, at least in my mind. Maybe Yanti can (or could) do a 200m as a sprint but I don't. I slow down the whole rhythm and breathe pretty much every stroke. It's actually a really relaxing stroke, once you can deal with the cardio aspect of it. Yep, still doing 500m IM's--I think I did some on Saturday. No 200 fly lately though--that was for one of our "Winter Challenges" a couple years ago at masters, and took some preparation.(The good thing was that the actual challenge was in a yard pool and I train in a meter pool here, so i could tell myself it was shorter.) Last year was just the 3K/one hour time trial. Not sure what's on for this year. Have heard rumors of 5K--I think my designated counter might resign if I suggested that!

As for winning the lottery--that would be nice. Or being a trophy wife maybe. The latter's a running joke with a colleague of mine that I should switch identities with someone she knows. The woman in question lives on the Big Island (Hawaii), is an actual trophy wife, and passes her time training for IM. Presumably gets to recover on the beach eating pineapples or something. A harsh existence. We have a "Future Me" day at school and last year I came as the trophy wife with my Hawaiian dress, IM Vietnam medal, and running shoes.

Ten years ago I never would have said I could be over working but now that I'm older and also have other things to work off my energy, I could be. But I'm no trophy and my only luck so far has been making it alive to age 46.... Somehow think neither lottery win nor "trophy husband" are gonna happen!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-10-13 8:07 AM
2015-10-13 8:02 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Not sure the use of fins came up before. That did help me figure it out some more. Relaxed the cardio demands by way of increasing the effectiveness of the kick. Obviously helped while using fins, but with the better understanding of it swimming without them improved too.

2015-10-13 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hi everyone

I am not training for anything right now but trying to keep up some consistency to keep the stress and fluff off.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving - we celebrated today by enjoying the amazing weather (thunderstorm is rolling in right now) - we had an awesome family turkey dinner yesterday! 

I'll poke in tomorrow!

Have a good night!

Jen

But of course.  I'd admit to asking you to drop in but that might not help any ;-)  I'm sure that Kirsten and Monica will be happy to have another Canadian in our midst.

2015-10-13 8:22 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK So after being back at work for the grand total of a day and a half after holidays I have decided that I really need to win lotto so that I dont have to work anymore! I am just so very OVER IT ALL!

ACK!!!  I know that feeling.  This whole reality thing is for the birds.

2015-10-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK So after being back at work for the grand total of a day and a half after holidays I have decided that I really need to win lotto so that I dont have to work anymore! I am just so very OVER IT ALL!

+3.

Why can't I just play all day?
2015-10-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

+3. Why can't I just play all day?

Manatee Lottery Pool?

2015-10-13 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Manatee Lottery Pool?

Yesterday was my first day back to work after being on vacation for 10 days or so.  It really was horrible!!  Winning the lottery is my retirement plan

2015-10-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatee Lottery Pool?

That would be fun!  If we win, we should have a meet-up because with the payout we could all afford to fly/drive/whatever to see each other!

Unrelated comment - one of my hockey teammates moved to Florida last year and finally witnessed a manatee swimming near the edge of her property!  She took pics, of course, or rather the other teammate who was visiting her took the pics.  I thought of you guys (the manatee group) instantly!

Edited by melbo55 2015-10-13 9:27 AM
2015-10-13 9:52 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jen and Karen, are you on Strava?  If so, we'll add you to the Manatee group over there.

Also, I think Chris may need a bike pic for the photo gallery :-D

2015-10-13 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning - busy day over here too! I do like my job but wish i had less work ... :S  Could we go to, say, a 4 hour work day with only 4 hours of work? 

Anyway, i will dig out a bike photo but i am not on Strava. I have Blackberry still so it's tough ... 

I biked to work today and I think that will be it for activity for today - it's just over an hour of city riding (read: stop and go)  - i have a presentation to do tomorrow after hosting a workshop so i'll likely have to cart my laptop home to finish it up in time. 

2015-10-13 10:49 AM

User image

Master

Welcome, Jen and Karen   I'm Erin, the not racy, but active, mom.

Hey, Pod. Been doing a lot of nurturing kid time lately. Trying to be more "in the moment" with library programs, park time, bike riding and hiking. Their best friends are moving soon, and we've been spending time with them PLUS working on making new friends. Just raising a family kind of busy.

T has gotten on the trails and been pretty impressive. He seems to have a knack for it. This last weekend we met up with a new group of riders for a day. T went out with us 5 times on mostly single track for 20mi total. He loved it.

Mak rode her little bike on a couple of jeep roads. 16" wheels make for hard climbing (she did push some), but those uphills mean downhills "like a rollercoaster"!

(20151010_140613.jpg)

(20151010_154035.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20151010_140613.jpg (66KB - 6 downloads)
20151010_154035.jpg (37KB - 5 downloads)
2015-10-13 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jen and Karen, are you on Strava?  If so, we'll add you to the Manatee group over there.

Also, I think Chris may need a bike pic for the photo gallery :-D

Here is the afore mentioned gallery of bikes. These are the bikes of Manatees old and new, some for riding, some for racing and others for cruising around.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246

If you post yours, it will end up in here  

2015-10-13 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hi everyone

I'll poke in tomorrow!

Have a good night!

Jen

Welcome Jen!!! I hope you get the camaraderie and fun that you are looking for.  This group is good for both (to say the least!)

2015-10-13 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh my goodness!!! I don't stop in for a couple days and all kinds of shenanigans ensue!!

Welcome Jen and Karen.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to our friends up north.

2015-10-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Oh my goodness!!! I don't stop in for a couple days and all kinds of shenanigans ensue!!

Welcome Jen and Karen.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to our friends up north.

You found us!  That's the important thing!

What's up with the (potential) road trip?

2015-10-13 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In a week and a half, I have my first overnight relay, the Tuna Run 200. It's a Ragnar-style event involving 15-passenger vans and running in the middle of the night.  I know that some of you have experience in this area and I am hoping that you can help.  Basically, other that running gear and toilettries, what do you recommend? 

My list is longish and I am hoping that I can pare it down some:

* sleep mask
* sleeping bag
* pillow
* toxic waste bag (aka, trash bag)
* reflective gear
* headlamp
* three running outfits
* team shirt
* two pairs of shoes
* newspapers (to stuff in shoes if wet)
* iPod (for white noise during napping)
* phone, GPS, chargers
* money
* clean between running clothing
* camera
* ID
* toiletries, including toothbrush
* instant shower wipes from REI
* bodyglide-type lube
* a few snacks/real food, coconut water
* sandals/between run shoes
* towel
* The Stick

2015-10-13 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That's a pretty complete list Janyne.  Didn't see extra socks.  If it is cold at night maybe some gloves.  We also had markers for "notching" kills (passing competitors on your leg) on the side of the van. 

2015-10-13 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

In a week and a half, I have my first overnight relay, the Tuna Run 200. It's a Ragnar-style event involving 15-passenger vans and running in the middle of the night.  I know that some of you have experience in this area and I am hoping that you can help.  Basically, other that running gear and toilettries, what do you recommend? 

* sleep mask
* sleeping bag
* pillow
* reflective gear
* headlamp
* three running outfits
* team shirt
* two pairs of shoes
* phone, GPS, chargers
* money
* camera
* ID
* bodyglide-type lube
* towel
* The Stick

One of the things I learned the hard way was to bring a blanket!  While everyone in my van slept nice and warm in the 40* weather I was curled into a fetal position trying to stay warm in my hoodie and yoga pants!! Getting into that position on a van seat is not easy Of course, if you're bringing a sleeping bag, a blanket may not be a big deal, but if you are not tenting it I think I'd choose a blanket over a sleeping bag.

Assuming your garbage bag is just for garbage, I would also bring zip loc bags.  At the very least you can put your smelly clothes in them and help keep your van from smelling like a locker room.  Bring extra in case your van mates didn't bring any!!  If the garbage bag is for your clothes, you may want to consider switching to the zip loc bags so you can pack each legs stuff (clothing, reflective gear etc) into individual bags, so they just have to grab and go. They are also good to keep your food and toiletries in.  Deodorant is also a nice thing.  

2015-10-13 1:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

That's a pretty complete list Janyne.  Didn't see extra socks.  If it is cold at night maybe some gloves.  We also had markers for "notching" kills (passing competitors on your leg) on the side of the van. 

I was mentally putting extra socks with "three running outfits."  Right now it looks like it will be above 50 the whole time so I think that gloves won't be necessary.  On this run, they use the politically incorrect term "kills" and our van has a list of stuff we just need one of -- glass chalk is included.  We just couldn't see having six bottles of bug spray, 60 extra trash bags, etc.

Van list

• sunscreen
  • bug spray
  • cooler
  • first aid kit
  • extra 2 gallon zip top bags
  • bunch of bananas
  • case of water (we are bringing two cases to our van meetup location and stuffing what we can into the cooler, will purchase more en route if needed.  We are operating on a "they have stores there" philosophy)
  • glass chalk
  • extra trash bags

2015-10-13 1:15 PM

User image

Master

* sleep mask
* sleeping bag
* pillow
* reflective gear
* headlamp
* three running outfits
* team shirt
* two pairs of shoes
* phone, GPS, chargers
* money
* camera
* ID
* bodyglide-type lube
* towel
* The Stick

I don't have the experience, but the list is full of small, easily rolled/stored items. Aside from sleeping bag and pillow, seems all would fit in a backpack or gym bag. Personally, would rather have and not need than need and not have. Weather supposed to be clear and cool?
2015-10-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

* sleep mask
* sleeping bag
* pillow
* reflective gear
* headlamp
* three running outfits
* team shirt
* two pairs of shoes
* phone, GPS, chargers
* money
* camera
* ID
* bodyglide-type lube
* towel
* The Stick

One of the things I learned the hard way was to bring a blanket!  While everyone in my van slept nice and warm in the 40* weather I was curled into a fetal position trying to stay warm in my hoodie and yoga pants!! Getting into that position on a van seat is not easy Of course, if you're bringing a sleeping bag, a blanket may not be a big deal, but if you are not tenting it I think I'd choose a blanket over a sleeping bag.

Assuming your garbage bag is just for garbage, I would also bring zip loc bags.  At the very least you can put your smelly clothes in them and help keep your van from smelling like a locker room.  Bring extra in case your van mates didn't bring any!!  If the garbage bag is for your clothes, you may want to consider switching to the zip loc bags so you can pack each legs stuff (clothing, reflective gear etc) into individual bags, so they just have to grab and go. They are also good to keep your food and toiletries in.  Deodorant is also a nice thing.  

I understand what you are saying about the blanket over sleeping bag.  We have both at home and I will pull out one or the other.  I think that we have a "tailgate" blanket that is waterproof one one side.  I need to hunt that down.

Deodorant is in toiletries.  If I forget, I feel certain that my van mates will stop at a store and let me buy more!

2015-10-13 1:19 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

* sleep mask
* sleeping bag
* pillow
* reflective gear
* headlamp
* three running outfits
* team shirt
* two pairs of shoes
* phone, GPS, chargers
* money
* camera
* ID
* bodyglide-type lube
* towel
* The Stick

I don't have the experience, but the list is full of small, easily rolled/stored items. Aside from sleeping bag and pillow, seems all would fit in a backpack or gym bag. Personally, would rather have and not need than need and not have. Weather supposed to be clear and cool?

So far, the weather looks good but it's 10 days out -- highs in the low to mid 70s and lows in the 50s.  I have another weekend to shop and time to mail order if necessary. 

We have been advised that with seven people and their gear, we will have very full vans! 

2015-10-13 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Podmates, I need some healing vibes for my grandma, please. She went into hospital over the weekend for intestinal blockage, and just went into surgery about an hour ago. She's been feeling pretty poorly for awhile, so we need the universe on her side.
Thanks!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54470 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66962 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28161 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11898 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66521 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.