BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-06-26 4:32 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Mitch and Steve, have you left yet? Have a great trip and some fun too!

2014-06-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Safe travels, guys!!!!
2014-06-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Evening all,

I could have sworn I posted earlier today... can't find the post?

I did 3 miles jog this am - still slow but heart rate in the zone.
This evening did swims. 4 x 25, drills then 4 x50, then cool down. Feeling good in the pool but still not "there".

Tomorrow will be bike in am, then swim in evening.

Where is the competition this weekend? How can we keep tabs?

Good luck, stay safe...
-Dennis

P.S. - already have a road bike.. it is older, will be getting tuned up soon.
2014-06-26 9:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Best of luck at IMCDA guys!

My training isn't where it needs to be right now (should be at 9 hours/wk at this point in my training plan), I went out and ran a training personal best 10k today, at 51:12. Pretty psyched, because this was after 3 Coronas during the USA match (thank you Portugal!), a blackened chicken burrito from Cali Tortilla, and a Starbucks venti white mocha. Imagine my potential without all that junk! Say what you will, but I think getting into soccer has really improved my speed and endurance.

Jay, great job with the running! As for the lifting/run combo, if your body can take it, more power to you! I couldn't do a squat with any respectable weight to save my life (which probably means I should work on that).

Dennis, I hope you're at least throwing some narrow slicks on that mtb. Makes me weary just thinking about knobbies on a century!

Edited by phifatech 2014-06-26 10:53 PM
2014-06-27 7:10 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Dennis -- getting 'there' in the pool takes time. Unlike the bike & run aspects where doing more will usually get you better/faster, swimming is all about technique and muscle memory of your proper stroke. (you've probably heard this from many others). I'm a late bloomer with swimming having taken my first proper swim lesson at age 43, less than 4 years ago. Its taken some work, but I'm doing OK in the pool.

What you'll likely eventually run into are the "a-HA!" moments when it all just makes sense and you make a leap forward. Those moment are awesome and keep you working.
2014-06-27 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Love this article -- applicable to all the sports we do. I re-read it often to ensure I keep getting the message. its all about your mental state, and letting yourself be your best. Read on!

http://running.net/read_feature/what-mental-toughness

2014-06-27 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
OK, I'll cease posting for a while after this one

Went out for another lunch run today and it was spectacular! Weather was perfect, but the best part was how good I felt and how it felt like a bit of a milestone. Did almost 4.5 miles which is as far as I've managed since my 10k race in early April. Felt like I could have kept going for a while. It was a small taste of getting better and feeling a bit of run fitness returning. Very encouraging!
2014-06-27 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Dennis B

Where is the competition this weekend? How can we keep tabs?

Hey Dennis -- Our mentor, Steve, and Mitch, a long time group member, are both doing Ironman Couer d'Alene this weekend. I don't recall their bib numbers at the moment, but you can scroll back through the last week or so of the thread to find them. I know Steve posted his, not sure if Mitch did or not. Then go to Ironman.com, and you should be able to follow them there and even possibly see them come across the finish line via video.
2014-06-27 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
Steve & Mitch,

Have a great race hope you both meet your goals! Look forward to hearing about the experience when you'll are back. Stay safe and healthy.

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend too!
2014-06-27 10:37 PM
in reply to: sinnerman

User image

Thanks Squirt! - Will be looking for our mentors! -

Good day today, 7+ mile bike in the am, good pool session in the evening 10 x 50 then 8 x 25 working on form while fatigued.This will be the long pool for the week.

I will have limited time tomorrow for training (all day Bar Mitzvah) and can do Sunday / Monday - with my second sprint tri on Tuesday evening start time is 6:30.

I will head out for a quick 2 mile run in the am tomorrow. Sunday will look to do pool / bike work, or pool / weights.

Last week I did a minimal session of all 3 events on Monday - 2 mile bike, 1.5 mile jog and about 30 minutes in the pool.

I am thinking that Monday will be "off" and just stretch?

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the information. This site rocks!
2014-06-28 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
1868 is Mitch's #, what is Steve's? Don't see it.

2014-06-28 9:04 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Steve's is 2082.

Dennis, a great way of improving technique is to do drills, if you aren't already throwing those in there.
2014-06-28 4:38 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Tomorrow is the big day. Go Steve and Mitch!!!! Hey Samantha who is going to be hosting some dinners and probably volunteering.

Dennis, you talked about your schedule and asked for advice on Monday. My advice is to find a training plan that you like, tweak it if needed, and then follow it the best you can. You will find that everyone is different. My hubby goes crazy (and makes my life miserable) if he doesn't do something every day. EVERY day. But I like the occasional rest day. Find what works best for you.

Ok, a few months ago I said I was going to look for a new job. I started updating my app - and then stopped. Friday showed me that I really need to finish updating the app and get serious about this. I just don't like the person I have become there. Man I hate job searching. I love lots of things about my work (small shop, the three people I work with, my big private office) but dang, I'm getting tired of seeing the train wreck approaching and being the only one that sees it (except one other coworker). So I guess I'll go thru interview hell (I don'tve think I interview well) and see if I can become a newbie somewhere else.

So sorry for the tangent. I'm just tired. And now I think that I'll only sign up for Soldier's HM in Nov (vs the full) because I don't think I can deal with mary training and home life and job searching and the heat and RL and........ Lord, I'm a whiner.

7.3 miles today running. Started out walking most of it but got into a nice groove towards the end.

But I am looking forward to monitoring Steve and Mitch tomorrow. Go Team Baowolf!!!!!
2014-06-28 4:57 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Linda and Phil for putting the numbers up front so we can stalk Steve and Mitch properly!

Pam, sorry that the job stress is still brewing. Never hurts to look (well, except for that whole interviewing thing). I think the older I get, the less likely I am to interview well because the less I care what people think. But for the right opportunity, I still believe that just being you will serve you well .

Another solid week of workouts for me. Skipped yoga last night because I tweaked my wrist doing hard work and downward facing dog did not seem like a good idea. But good enough to ride 24 miles this morning. I've discovered a little known/lightly travelled road that takes me into the heart of DFW airport. Fun to ride along watching planes take off/land.

Steve and Mitch, hoping you are both ready to hit the start tomorrow, and cannot wait to hear how the day unfolds for you both!
2014-06-28 5:06 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve & Mitch -- have the best day you can imagine tomorrow!! you are both inspirations. Swim, bike, run, have fun, appreciate the day, love that you can do this, and finish with a smile.

2014-06-28 9:37 PM

User image

Thanks for the bib numbers. Will try to keep tabs tomorrow.

This am was able to get in a quick run - 2 miles, w/ intervals (first time doing intervals). Tough trying to keep my heart rate down? I am used to keeping it around 145 - 160 without issue. (I am 46 years old) During my sprint bike heart rate was 170 - 180 through the whole 5 miles (mountain biking) - probably why I was fried and could not jog / run for crap. Afterwards I started really focusing on keeping my HR down and in the aerobic zone.

@Phil - yes, I normally do drills, yesterday had limited time and wanted to get in some distance. Did the 8 x 25 after to keep in form. I am trying to follow the Total Immersion videos.. will re-watch again (and again). During the 10 x 50, if I broke form I would stop and regroup / restart in good form. (still slow..)

I don't seem to be able to carry the glide far enough to make it "perpetual" - it is more like glide, almost stop, stroke, glide, almost stop.. lol.. I need to get quicker, just taking a bit out of me and I want to swim and save energy. I will keep trying

Tomorrow - Bike and swim, need to figure out distances. Will probably be medium distances?? Although if I am taking Monday off, I may do a bit longer on the bike to get in some saddle time.

Training plan - I am just now trying to get a good plan going. I have been working out w/ all 3 disciplines about 8 weeks and already did one sprint. So where do I fit in the training plan? Also, time is an issue, trying to set priorities and schedule workouts around everything.

Thanks for the feedback.. you guys rock!
-Dennis

2014-06-28 10:29 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm, back still bad, started muscle relaxants yesterday. Not sure if I make it more than 10 strokes into the swim. We see how it goes. Mitch is up here we met up with him today. So it looks like a very short or very long day for me tomorrow. Sposed to be 11 mph winds for the swim start.... water temp 62F ish. If the back is too bad in the morning it will be a DNS. Oh well.
2014-06-28 11:29 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Back to training. Lost a lot of time so am shooting for a good time on a sprint as I think an oly is out for Aug, but who knows - maybe having dropped lost of weight I'll make good progress.

Please know that I'm going back and catching up on everyone's posts even if I don't get to respond to them.

Mitzi
2014-06-29 4:15 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Maryland
Mitch have a great race today!!
And Steve, it is better to stay uninjured. You do what you think is best for you. We all here know that you are so well trained but you are hurt. I am sending prayers now that your back feels better.
We are all cheering for you both!
2014-06-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: #5018481

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Good news! Both are IM'ers are out swimming! Hope Steve's back is behaving. Mitch did the first half of the swim in 40 min, Steve in 46. Go, guys!

I had our local sprint today. Was fun but my times were slower than I thought they would be. Run was weird - breathing was good, no struggles but I had these weird cramps on the sides of my shins, and my legs generally felt heavy. Regardless, it's a gorgeous sunny day, I had fun, and am now getting in some solid recovery time on my hammock and about to have a cold beer ??

2014-06-29 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Halleluah, Steve was able to start! Hope he is feeling well and can finish uninjured. Praying, praying, praying, praying for both.

Steve is at 46 min at 1.2 miles of swim and Mitch is speeding along at 40 min at 1.2 of swim.

2014-06-29 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Steve & Mitch are both through the first loop on the swim! So glad Steve got to start, and hoping the swim will loosen the back up.
2014-06-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
The pros in this race are ridiculous. Andy Potts is first out of the water in 47 minutes. Coincidentally, Andy is featured with a handsome age grouper athlete in the photo to the left of this post.

Edited by Mike_D 2014-06-29 10:41 AM
2014-06-29 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Both are out of the water! And yes, Mike, I noticed your bud was leading.
2014-06-29 10:46 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
fantastic they're both out of the water. As Carol mentioned, hopefully the swim helped loosen Steve's back. If he's feeling OK, hopefully he gets off the bike feeling the same way.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.