General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SWIM HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-01-13 3:39 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: SWIM HELP

Ok, anyone who knows me knows how much I love swimming.  I was wondering if maybe there was a place we could get together and 'play' in the water. Maybe if I can 'play' in the water, make it more enjoyable, I might learn to like swimming?

So, we find a place and play, swim some laps, bring a video camera, record, critique....whatcha think?

Anyone know of such a place??   

2008-01-13 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1153199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SWIM HELP
Just a thought for you. Check with like a YMCA near everyone, and then rent the pool, like parents do for their kids birthday parties. If memory serves me right, the cost is fairly low.

Just a thought
2008-01-13 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
I swim at the Flint YMCA (when I can get my lazy butt to the pool). You are always welcome to join me.
2008-01-13 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
I'll bring a floating cooler!
2008-01-14 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
can we swim at the MSU pool?
2008-01-14 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi trixie,

the YMCA Ann Arbor pool seems always full with really good swimmers...
I just recently joined the Ann Arbor Tri CLub and hope that they start weekly swimming clinics.

2008-01-14 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Trixie,

What do you really mean by "play"? Do mean do a few drills, swim a little, not take it seriously?

Or do you mean shoot down a seven story waterslide at mach 2?

Just wondering.
2008-01-15 10:24 AM

User image

I've been going to the Livonia YMCA... its nice and there isn't anyone there.  Plenty of flop around room.
2008-01-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1155513

User image

Champion
Michigan

matt3liv - 2008-01-14 4:13 PM Trixie, What do you really mean by "play"? Do mean do a few drills, swim a little, not take it seriously? Or do you mean shoot down a seven story waterslide at mach 2? Just wondering.
Both I think we should play a little, let me get to LOVE the water and then do real swim stuff....BOOOO.

Liz, O go to the MSU pool on occasion, I'm not sure how busy they are on weekends....

2008-01-15 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

hmmmm, where did I put my 15 year old MSU ID.

Here's how I learned to love the water. Maybe it will help, maybe not. Either way, here it is.

I started swimming for fitness late August of '06. I joined a gym just up the road from my office and paid for an entire year in advance to make sure I didn't quit. (I'm pretty cheap)

The first day of swimming, I probably did a total of 10 length (5 laps) in about a half hour. I thought I was going to die, and it was all breast stroke. I continued to do BS for a month or two, swimming 3 days a week. At about that time, my knees started to hurt from the twisting motion of the kick. So, I started to do a little back stroke in there too. Notice I haven't mentioned anything about front crawl?

Around mid-December of '06 I completed my first continuous mile. It felt like I was on top of the world and that I had finally found some success beyond just adding a couple extra laps each week. It became apparent that I needed to learn to swim the front crawl or I was going to be stifled.

So, I started to try to crawl. It was a disaster, at least that is how it felt. It wasn't really though. I could only do about 25-50 yards at a time, then I'd have to stop and rest. I eventually got into a routine of 25 crawl, 25 elementary backstroke, etc. After a couple weeks of this, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get some lessons. I called the aquatic office at the club and they set me up with private instructor.

She turned out to be awesome for me. She is super high energy and she wouldn't let me get complacent. She had some TI training and got me to understand what the glide portion of the stroke was supposed to be, how to align my body through the spine access, and most importantly that I was SUPPOSED to roll. She put everything into terms of golf, as I used to be a teaching pro a while back. After only two lessons, and about three weeks of practice on my own, it clicked. I was planning to swim 600y continuous that day and before I knew it I did 1000. The next time, I did 1200, then 1500, then 1600, then the big 1800 MILE+! It was awesome.

So for a while I just worked on swimming continuous distances. That was okay. Then the club offered a free coached workout on Wed nights. It was taught by an intern that played MSU water polo and was a really strong HS swimmer. She helped me to learn better arm paths and taught me to use the "tools" of swimmers. I don't love doing drills with kickboards, fins and pouys, but I do it and I know it helps. Plus, I like swimming the length of the pool underwater with fins. Its not really training, just fun.

So, now I am up to 3+ miles as a continuous swim, or have drills for drill days, and I still love to swim sprints, but those are 100 and 50 sprints now. I've learned to breath comfortably, and I know that I could swim as far as I would ever need to. (The Straits of Mackinaw are calling me.) So, now I'm just trying to get faster.

With all that said, I can honestly say that I have learned to love the water. I love to swim, I love to go fast, I like to go slow, I like to swim on my back, but I love to swim on my chest. Its just gotten to be second nature and I love it.

BTW, during my first lesson with Leslie, she mentioned a class that she was starting called Tri 101. It was an introduction to triathlons. I didn't take the class, but it planted a seed. I never thought that something hard like a triathlon would be for me. Well, I guess I was wrong. Thanks Leslie for kicking it off for me.

Oh yeah, I'm not embarrassed to be seen in my jammers anymore either.  :)

Edited by matt3liv 2008-01-15 11:29 AM
2008-01-15 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1157289

New user
Yes, gotta love the jammers....much better than the all out speedo!

Anyway, I think that's a great story. The most important thing is that you learned to swim correctly. That was probably 3/4 of the battle right there. The proper swim form makes it much, much easier to swim and makes it more enjoyable. I've been swimming since I was 5 and swam competitively in high school and the first couple years of college, and as such, the thing I notice most is how much people struggle with swimming when they don't have proper technique and form. You watch them and it's like they're giving all this effort and get absolutely nothing in return. And then it reminds me how people can actually hate swimming. And I see it all the time.

What's funny too, is that despite seeing people who don't have proper form, I always forget and assume everyone knows how to swim. Last year was my first season doing tri's and I was blown away by how many triathlete's aren't the best swimmers. Maybe I had put triathlete's on a pedastal or something, but I was really shocked by that. Consequently, it cracks me up too that I'm usually in the top 10% of my age group and overall in the swim portion, but usually end up finishing in the middle of the pack at the end. And I don't think it's because I'm some great swimmer, but more likely its because there are alot of people out there that don't have proper swim technique and form and would be much much better triathlete's had they learned it.

So all of that said, Trixie, if you really hate swimming, and I have no idea why that would be -- maybe you have great form and just hate water in general, I don't know -- take a class or two and learn proper form, because then, like what happened to matt3liv, you can actually learn to like it.

As for places, I know here in Waterford both high schools just added brand new facilities. Each of them have two pools, one "leisure" pool where all of the water aerobics and kids playing takes place, and one 8 lane competitive lap pool where the swimmers are. Needless to say, the lap pool is always empty so there is never an issue with getting and/or sharing lanes with other people. The Waterford schools really did it right, I gotta say.

2008-01-15 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
trixie, isn't it that you mostly just dont like deep open water?
2008-01-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1158615

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
BlueCorsair - 2008-01-15 7:55 PM

trixie, isn't it that you mostly just dont like deep open water?

Pretty normal for someone that is not a good swimmer.

What worked for me was getting in the pool a couple times a week and then a few simple pointers from a friend. Once I slowed down a bit and concentrated on my strokes and breathing it all just kinda clicked and I kept going.

Persistence and pointers are probably all you need. Sounds like you have enough fitness to run to the moon so you'll build distance *very* quickly once it all clicks.

Wish I could be of more help, but I won't be seeing a pool for at least three more months thanks to my shoulder.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
2008-01-15 10:14 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

waterford? sounds like a good place for a bt party...and yes, it's the deep water that freaks me out

and yes, I've been told that I swim well,  at least for a beginner, I'm just not comfortable in the water. Thanks for all the help, guys. 

2008-01-16 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1158821

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
trixie - 2008-01-15 11:14 PM

waterford? sounds like a good place for a bt party...and yes, it's the deep water that freaks me out

and yes, I've been told that I swim well, at least for a beginner, I'm just not comfortable in the water. Thanks for all the help, guys.

Deep open water freaks me out a bit too. I didn't realize it until after my first race. Once I lose sight of the bottom, I lost form and went into my own little survival mode. I was expecting to finish 500m in 9 minutes and it ended up taking 12 with a 200 bmp hr when I got out of the water. It was nothing but a mental thing, and it happened at my second race too. It happened on training swims too, but I didn't realize it because I thought it was a lack of fitness, and I was still developing my technique.

My major swimming goal for the summer is complete comfort in OW. Once the lakes get usable I'll be in OW at least once a week, hopefully twice for nice long workouts. Trix, I'll meet up after work anywhere between Holly, Lansing, Novi, and Howell. There are some good lakes close to home/work in Holly, but I'm game to hit everyone's favorite metro parks too.

2008-01-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1158989

User image

Champion
Michigan
matt3liv - 2008-01-16 8:06 AM
trixie - 2008-01-15 11:14 PM

and yes, I've been told that I swim well, at least for a beginner, I'm just not comfortable in the water. Thanks for all the help, guys.

Deep open water freaks me out a bit too. I didn't realize it until after my first race. Once I lose sight of the bottom, I lost form and went into my own little survival mode. I was expecting to finish 500m in 9 minutes and it ended up taking 12 with a 200 bmp hr when I got out of the water. It was nothing but a mental thing, and it happened at my second race too. It happened on training swims too, but I didn't realize it because I thought it was a lack of fitness, and I was still developing my technique.

My major swimming goal for the summer is complete comfort in OW. Once the lakes get usable I'll be in OW at least once a week, hopefully twice for nice long workouts. Trix, I'll meet up after work anywhere between Holly, Lansing, Novi, and Howell. There are some good lakes close to home/work in Holly, but I'm game to hit everyone's favorite metro parks too.

that's nice of you, and I'll totally talk you up on it.  Just as soon as it warms up 

2008-01-16 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Count me in for some of the open water swims after the thaw.

I raced my first sprint last fall (Pontiac Lake in September). Definitely the open water presents a new challenge. I'm not the strongest swimmer but have always been comfortable in water (been swimming in the middle of the Atalantic Ocean before). However, during the open water swim I could not get in sync. Could have been the cold weather, could have been the difficulty sighting and swimming in a straight line, or could have been all the people swimming around me. Whatever it is I know I need to practice.
2008-01-16 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
OW used to freak me out mostly because my body is more dense than water so if I stop moving, I sink. I actually thought I was going to drown once when I followed my wife 1/2 mile out into lake Michigan. (Before I learned how to swim effeciently) Luckily, on my way back to shore, just when I thought I could go no further, my feet touched the bottom on a sand bar.
After I got my wetsuit and knew I could float, my confidence went way up and I actually enjoyed swimming out in the deep water watching the bottom of Lake michigan go slowly by 40 feet below me. Getting way out there and seeing the "blue horizen" under the water was so beautiful and peacefull. Also, In clear water, like Lake Michigan with High visibility, you lose that feeling that "something" is sneeking up on you. LOL
Anyway, I am game for getting together weekly for OWSing when the lakes are ready.
2008-01-16 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Sounds good.  We can set up a regular weekly workout.

I was thinking of getting my lifeguard cert, partially for the heck of it, partially for race volunteering, partially to learn what it is that gets people in trouble in the first place. 

2008-01-16 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
A group of us will be meeting out at Island Lake for open water swims every Thursday at 6:15PM starting in late April to early May time frame. You are all welcome to join us if you wish.

Trout Lake at ILRA is perfect, you can almost always see the bottom and you can even stand in a few spots on sand bars. Great cycling and running there too!
2008-01-16 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Yup Trout Lake is great. I swam with Trix there once...sorta As for cycling, If you use Island Lake, Kensington and the surrounding roads, you can do a 24 mile loop with some nice hills and before you know it you have gone 100 miles for the day.

2008-01-17 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1160664

New user
"A group of us will be meeting out at Island Lake for open water swims every Thursday at 6:15PM starting in late April to early May time frame."

What are the water temps that time of year?
2008-01-17 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
They are warm enough for a good wetsuit.
2008-01-18 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
trixie, I will help, but I will probably do what my dad liked to do to us... he dragged us out, set us in the water.. now make it back Ok, you survived, your good to go!

In all seriousness though I grew up in Waterford, we didnt have pools in the high schools at that time though, but obviously there are TONS of lakes in waterford so I grew up on one of them. Open water swimming is all about getting comfortable in the water. We used to take the boat out in the middle of the lake and just float/swim around for hours. We also used to take the paddle boats out and swim from raft to raft. I had no form or technique because I was never taught it, it was mainly about getting there and not drowning. Id be willing to help you out at the lake. That will be the best place to go since thats the only place you have a problem. Are you a good floater?? In teaching people how to swim on the lake, that seemed to solve most of their worries, if i could teach them to float it seemed to ease their mind that they could float if they ever had to.
we could always do a BT picnic when the weather gets warmer at one of the parks and use the beach and just go and have fun and make it all about getting comfortable in the water.
anyways.. just my input!

Edited by kellc09 2008-01-18 2:54 PM
2008-01-18 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Learning to float is great, If I take a full breath, as deep as I can and only breath off the top of my lungs, then I can float with just my mouth and nose above the water. If I let out even half a breath, then down I go. That is why I love my wetsuit.
'cept for the ocean, I float great in salt water.
Did I mention that I can litterally lay on the bottom of a 12 foot deep pool without a problem?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SWIM HELP Rss Feed  

of 2