BBSC Endurance Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 329/505
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/17
Pre-race routine:

had almost half cuppa coffee, walked to outside front hotel to see weather/wind, be alone for a bit.
clear sky, breezy at 0500
back to room to tame the mane, eat granolas shot of g'aid and more water (couldn't seem to get proper hydration, i.e. clear pee) actually awake at 4am 'cause forgot to turn off the palm alarm...i was pretty tired.
dry heaved a few times here and there, gotta love my nerves.
Event warmup:

cycle from park entrance-ish (more like 2 miles away) to the transition area...pee'd, donned wetsuit--properly i might add
Swim
  • 47m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

like i said swim was BRUTAL. bad enough they canceled the sprint distance swim after hauling so many people in from the Oly distance.
after i rounded the 3rd buoy where we were in the lee of the island i cruised and felt great! no issue at all with open water itself, really just frustrated with the wind/waves at the first 500 or so. if conditions had been better it would have been a fantastic swim.
i drank a lot of the reservoir, so i was well hydrated!
What would you do differently?:

not sure there was much i COULD do differently actually. that i finished at all was a bonus, 'cause there were SO MANY that apparently didn't.
Transition 1
  • 05m 33s
Comments:

so THEY started the sprint's cycle in a large wave almost immediately after i exited the water, thereby creating a crush of people mounting bikes into the narrow chute at the same time
so no jogging or jumping on the bike for me!

i'd hope that the next time it'll be warmer water and my feet/hands won't be numb on the way to the bike
try to combine actions more, learn the shoes on the bike trick, practice transition with wetsuit
Bike
  • 1h 59m 53s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 12.46 mile/hr
Comments:

uh, lotsa wind & gusts
one big hill, on the way back i think i got upto 35 mph, but a gust scared me a little and I HAD to slow down
the last little climb to the transition area was killer for me with a headwind
basically the ride went, slight headwind up a 6% one-mile hill, serious headwind, wind at the back, lotsa headwind, wind at the back, wind to my 5 o'clock, big descent, then serious headwind & climb to transition

need to work on efficiency on the bike, CLIMBING HILLS
aero looks SO much easier, especially when windy is kickin' my a**
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

vague recollection of almost crying, throat closing up on me some what at stop
easy switch to running shoes (got the quick "ties") slip on my skirt with #55 and I was off...sort of

think it was alright except i couldn't tell where to go 'cause there were so many people just milling around, caused some delay
Run
  • 1h 27m 53s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 14m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

by the time i started the run there was almost no one paying attention to the route, lots of random people wandering around hard to tell exactly where I was supposed to go...almost induced a panic attack 'cause I had done so much already then had to ask 3 people exactly where to run TO.
started jogging out of transition area and body decided to strangle me with throat constriction, can't breath, slow to walk...CALM DOWN.
jog again after out of cones.
stop at port o'can for pee, continue.
after the first time up the sand hill had to stop a minute, someone passed and said "if you need aid, you should go to the table" at that point i wasn't entirely sure I needed aid...had to negotiate some more.
feet specifically started complaining after mile 3, couldn't find the just right window not stopping (where couldn't breathe) and not to fast (where couldn't breathe AND feet hurt). heart rate appeared alright though.
at least the wind had died down by then.
finished with a strong stride though!

not run in sand (ha)
Post race
Warm down:

doubled over, then visiting with paramedics to ensure that i was getting enough O2 (which i was, 100% even, thank you altitude training)...survey says, it's an esophageal constriction, NOT asthma.
walk to transition carrying toddler to gather up things
(probably should've walked around some immediately after finish, hindsight is always 20/20 though right?)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

esophageal constriction, suddenly wanting to cry at random although there were no true tears

Event comments:

As I don't have much race history (yet), I can only say that it was disappointing to feel that the race was over before I (and others) finished. I know I was slow this race, I know that all those people can't hang around forever.
It seemed like the event was more about the first qualifiers than the 'rest of us'...my husband's observation was that after 3 hours the organization just disintegrated.
The volunteers were still there still cheering my finish, that was nice. I didn't mark the post race activities 'cause I didn't get to participate in any of them. Everything was broken down, or in process, by the time I finished, racks already being packed away, no massage, no food (I think), it didn't appear there were shuttles (as promised) to return the spectators/families of athletes to the parking area (which presumably would have been great to facilitate moving cars closer for late finishers)...our little truck was a pretty long way away with a bike, a tantrum-prone-super-tired-toddleator and the gear.

Under better wind conditions, i.e. NO wind :) I would've finished better.
It's a really pretty place, the Sand Hollow reservoir, the volunteers were great. Overall organization itself could have been better no one was really paying attention to people coming into/outof transition (The Man & Toddleator were right there next to me at T2), several wetsuits were reported MIA.

Looking back on the race I wonder, could I have pushed harder? While I was in it though, all I could think was "just keep going, just keep going...calm down, breathe". I ignore the internal whisper that I failed 'cause I was dead last in my age group...I TRY to ignore it, I'm waiting for it to catalyze the "I can/will do better" whispers. Overall my performance was sub-par I think due to some travel fatigue, and as mentioned the serious gusty winds.

www.milliseconds.com has the race results, looks to me like only 335 of the original OLY athletes competed, out of 505.

I was the only one in a skirt!

p.s. I listed my mental effort at 2 'cause it was pretty difficult negotiating to keep going, my phsy efft level at 4 'cause I really gave it a good effort all things considered...the race was definitely a challenge for me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:25 | 1640 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 262/505
Performance: Good
Suit: full ironman blueseventy
Course: i know that it was altered, the wind was INSANE...felt like swimming in the ocean but couldn't time the wave sets wave crests at least 1.5' over my head AND white capping until the third buoy otherwise course was fine, water was nice, COLD but nice 12 of 29 in my age group didn't complete the swim
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:59:53 | 24.9 miles | 12.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 329/505
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: easy to see turns, nicely labeled everywhere a pretty place, farmland, cattle, big desert mountains roads were farm for the most part, some spots rough enough to play the "uhaaahahaahhhhuhhhh" game when going over them NOT all the cattle gaurds had rubber mats
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:27:53 | 06.2 miles | 14m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 329/505
Course: mostly sand pack (not that packed, more like beach) with random multi-size rocks, some barely buried flatish rock or just plain rock, one sand hill that was killer. 2 loops, first one was OK, second was worse but still alright considering.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Subject: SG TRI

2008-05-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1395622

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Subject: RE: SG TRI

After readin Aikidoman's report I wonder if I read my times correctly at all, or if there were issues with my time(s) as well...we hung around in the water freezing & teeth-chattering at each other for a WHILE before the women's wave started.

I'm feeling pretty down trodden right now. 

2008-05-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1396511

User image

Sensei
Sin City
AdaBug - 2008-05-12 9:10 AM

After readin Aikidoman's report I wonder if I read my times correctly at all, or if there were issues with my time(s) as well...we hung around in the water freezing & teeth-chattering at each other for a WHILE before the women's wave started.

I'm feeling pretty down trodden right now. 

I haven't read your report yet (just going to do that next!).  I had my suspicions that something was amiss before the race even started.  I thought they had me in the wrong group so that got my "spidey senses" tingling.  I also keep my own splits so I can get an idea of my finish times during the race.  They were all pretty good except for the swim....

I bet you are fine.

2008-05-12 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1396535

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Good report...

Let me say a couple things.....  The crying thing is normal!  I fell like it almost every race.  something about clycogen levels being down or something....

Yeah, they do that with these races (start breaking things down).  I did a HIM last month with the same organizers and EVERYBODY was gone.  The started everyone at about the same time, but we finished 2-3 hours AFTER everyone. 

HOWEVER, you didn't miss much in terms of post race activities.  They gave out a water bottle and had some basic food (bananas, cookies, bagels, etc).  They did a quick award cerimony just after I finished at about 10:00 am.  I didn't care to listen to that since I knew my time was jacked up.

ALSO, the shuttles already stopped running even at 10:30.  I like to stay back and root on the others, so I did so for about 30-45 mintues, but my "party" needed to get out of the weather.

I'm struggling to remember if I saw you on the start of the second run lap....

I think you did great!  The conditions were miserable (only thing worse would have been rain maybe) and it resulted in a slow course.  Running on sand dunes didn't help either!  I think that finishing this one was a HUGE success IMO.

Congrats!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SG TRI Rss Feed