Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2012768

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: RE: Who has truly bonked?
My last and worse bonk was last January.  I did a big mtn bike ride not knowing I had started coming down with a stomach bug. It was So bad I posted a blog entry on it.

2009-03-12 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I've had a couple that probably qualify as bonking or at least being on the edge but this was the worst.  I did a 20 mile training run without much issue.  I got back drank a lot of gatorade and took a short nap, maybe had a few energy bars but no meal.  Then I went by my parents to clean up their yard after a big storm.  They have a big yard with lots of trees that fell over.  I don't really know how long I was out there, 2~3 hours at least.  I cut down and bundled 20+ bails of branches (we're talking 60-70 lbs each) and hauled them about 150 feet.  I quit after 20-25 of these things.  Almost couldn't walk into the house.  It was not fun.  Had to finish up the last 10 the next day with some help since I was not completely recovered. 
2009-03-12 5:11 PM

Expert
Done it once on a run,

My 1 hr 30min hill run and at the top of a huge hill in the trails around this track I literally stopped on the grass for a "breather" and fell asleep for 20 minutes, walked the rest of the way home and slept for another 3 hours, had dinner and slept again for another 10.

Over training and bonking fricken sucks bro....

Lol
2009-03-12 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
I don't know If I have the stones to push myself hard enough to bonk! Nor do I want to!
2009-03-12 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska

I’ve bonked once - didn’t realize that’s what it was that the time, but that’s what it was. I was hiking in Canyonlands National Park about two years ago doing an 8 mile loop that started at the rim - descended 2,000 feet or so and then looped back up to the rim. Temp was supposed to be 80’s and overcast. It was 95 and sunny - with a planned 6 hr hike. It was overcast at the start - but by 11 the sun had come out. I had a sandwich, tuna kit, some fruit and about 4 liters of water. The first five miles were fine. Then I started up. I was only about halfway up when I had less than a liter of water left, no food, and a squirt of sunscreen. Hadn’t seen anyone on the trail all day and ended up climbing the final 1 ½ miles in 3.5 hrs. There were times I stood at one marker, and looked for five minutes trying to find the next one - only to discover it was 5 feet above me! Knew I had to just keep going or there'd be no rescue. Finally emerged at the parking lot - 9 hours later where I drained ½ gallon of water, a pack of crackers, and some canned salmon. The good news is I always am far more conservative on my nutrition needs now.

2009-03-12 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
These are good stories, something we all can learn from. I over do it now on rides, I always come back with food/gels still in my pocket.

Bonking out hiking in remote areas can be a brush with death. I always overpack food now, I would rather carry a few extra pounds and have that security. You're burning a massive amount of calories when backpacking even at a slow pace.

2009-03-12 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

My first time was only a few weeks ago... 4 hour ride... didnt start eating til a couple of hours in... and then only a muesli bar...whoops... having not ridden that long I really didnt know what I was up for!!!

The last 6ks of the ride I was emotional, could not change my pace and just stay upright... when I got to the tiny rise to the end of the ride... I was distraught - just couldnt face it.

It didnt help I was riding with a cycle freak who is great to ride with as he makes me ride faster than I do solo and who is teaching me all sorts of tricks like going uphill - but I didnt account for the fact I would be burning a lot more energy probably as a result!

Got off my bike, ate some jelly snakes, ice cream, coke... got home and slept/ate for the next couple of days.... definatley took a few days to feel like I was ready to go again!

Edited by kaqphin 2009-03-12 6:02 PM
2009-03-12 6:32 PM

User image

Bloomington
It's happened to me once on a 5 hour ride when I was much heavier (burned more calories) and didn't bring enough calories with me.  With about 10 miles left, it felt like I had hit the beer early.  My ride ended with a long climb, and that was it, I was done.  I somehow made it home, and hardly up my stairs, but was on the ground before I got to the chocolate milk.  Luckily my wife was there to help me get some food in while I layed on the bed.  Fifteen minutes after getting some calories I was back on my feet, but I felt a little weird the rest of the day. 
2009-03-12 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Alex, I'll take Olympic Swimming Champions for $500.  Oh, you said "Bonked".
2009-03-12 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2013285

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
tkd.teacher - 2009-03-12 10:56 AM

btw, we are all having a bit of fun with this, but on a more serious note:

The reason that you get dizzy, can't move, stagger, etc. when you bonk is that your body has run so low on glycogen that it is shutting down external/peripheral systems to preserve the last of the glycogen to keep the brain running. It can be pretty serious.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled hilarity/flashback montage.

John

that also happens when you boink! well, that's what I've heard
2009-03-12 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2014747

Elite
Laurium, MI
JorgeM - 2009-03-12 8:51 PM
tkd.teacher - 2009-03-12 10:56 AM

btw, we are all having a bit of fun with this, but on a more serious note:

The reason that you get dizzy, can't move, stagger, etc. when you bonk is that your body has run so low on glycogen that it is shutting down external/peripheral systems to preserve the last of the glycogen to keep the brain running. It can be pretty serious.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled hilarity/flashback montage.

John

that also happens when you boink! well, that's what I've heard

This does raise an interesting question:

Who has bonked while boinking?  Who has boinked while bonking?

2009-03-12 8:42 PM

Master
Run a few marathons. You'll really get the full feeling of a bonk during racing. It totally sucks, and even happens regularly to elites. Trust me - bike bonks on long training rides are cakewalks compared to marathon race bonks, which will sideline you for WEEKS (!!)
2009-03-12 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2014793

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Forgot my most fun near bonk. Early in the riding season while in grad school I went several hours early for an afternoon class, took my bike and headed out on a ride. Headed west from West Chester PA for those in the know. Planned on a two hour ride, only took a couple gels and a bottle of water, no money or phone. Got lost and at the 2 hour mark ended up at a Wawa in Downingtown. Only I was so lost I had to ask the people there to tell me where I was because staring at the map was useless without knowing. I figured a route back to school that kept me off the main drags, jotted some notes on a que sheet. and headed out. I was north west of West Chester. I started out heading east on an East-West road. Turned off on a road heading south that with a couple slight turns should have taken me back to school. After another hour of riding, I ended up back on that first East-West road that I headed south from and hour earlier. That was when I said a loud WTF. Flagged down a driver to tell me which way to go since I was so turned around again. Still didn't know where I was going and ended up at a different Wawa. Found out where I was and decided on taking the main road with no turns back to school. Traffic be damned. I was pretty toasted when I got back after a bit over 4 hours in the saddle with a couple gels and a bottle of water. I toed the line between bonking/being wasted and just being buzzed with that euphoric state where you can kind of space out for a few hours. Which was unfortunate because after reaching my car and wallet I had maybe 10 minutes to stuff some Burrito Loco in my face, change and get to class. We were doing a group test that day and thankfully my group was two good friends that both ride and/or run and knew how I was feeling. They totally covered for my slacking that afternoon.

Edited by graceful_dave 2009-03-12 8:54 PM
2009-03-12 8:53 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I agree with the previous post and "riding bonks are a cakewalk compared to marathon bonks".  I have experience both a number of times but on the bike I find it easier to work my way through it.  Not running!  Most memorable was 1987 Vegas Marathon, I hit the 20-mile point just under 2:15...finished just over 3:45.  20-years later I still say WTF!  back then there were no powerbars or gels.  You ran on water...at least that's what I did. 
2009-03-12 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I was doing a 6 hour mountain bike race and had no clue about nutrition.  The race was from 6 PM to midnight.

I had chicken fajitas for lunch.  I had a MetRX shake for dinner right before the race.  I figured it was a good source of carbs.  Wrong!!

About half way through the race, the only time I could ride was downhill because I could sit on my bike and coast.  I walked the ups and the flats.  At one point I thought something was stalking me in the woods.  I got on the far side of the bike from the noise and figured if it came for me, I would just fall over and smash it under my bike.

When I finished, I sprawled out across the nearest picnic table.  My teammate declared me ready for a 24 hour race.  I thought he was insane.  We did it a few weeks later and I had a much better nutrition plan, except on my last lap I was so tired that when I cam eto a tree that was in the middle of teh trail I told myself, "Right.  No, left."  Bam!!  Right up the middle into the tree.  Endurance mtb races are fun.  No 'shrooms required for halucinations. Tongue out 

Edited by Bumble Bee 2009-03-12 9:12 PM
2009-03-12 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2013081

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

KiminON - 2009-03-12 10:00 AM my best was about hour 18 of a 24 hr solo MTB race. I was found lying on the ground having a conversation with a shrub named Steve.  Not much fun at all. Well, except for the folks that found me.

That is the funniest thing I have read in quite a long time. Bonk monsters at mtb races are the harshest! 

2009-03-13 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Not to jack the thread, but just to clarify:  How do you prevent bonking?  Can't say I've ever done it.  I'm sure eventually it will happen, but will try to avoid it at all costs.  Is my best way to prevent it through educating myself about nutrition and make sure I follow it through before and throughout the race?  I understand the scientific description.
2009-03-13 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
I've bonked hardcore twice in races. I start getting dizzy and can't run/walk a straight line, then I go down for the count. I wake up with IVs stuck in my arms and on a stretcher, post puke, confused, embarrassed...
2009-03-13 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2013081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

KiminON - 2009-03-12 11:00 AM my best was about hour 18 of a 24 hr solo MTB race. I was found lying on the ground having a conversation with a shrub named Steve.  Not much fun at all. Well, except for the folks that found me.

I'm so sorry for your bonk, but you tell a hilarious story and I'm sorry but I'm laughing out loud with tears in my eyes and down my face ! You have just cracked me up "Shrub named Steve".......... best laugh I've had in days !

2009-03-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2013172

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
sax - 2009-03-12 10:23 AM
Freeswimmingfish - 2009-03-12 7:22 AM

I truly bonked at IMAZ last April:

I made it through the swim without issue. I made it through the bike and a little more than half way on the run. It was a tough day. The temp was predicted to be 92, turned out to be 97 and the light 6mph winds kicked up to 25mph gusts. Both contact lenses were blown from my eyes on the bike, the first one at mile 10, the second at mile 50. I am already blind without them, but just to make it fun, due to dehydration, my right eye totally clouded up and everything turned white and cloudy. So my bike speed decreased because I could not see 5 feet in front of me. I was blown off my bike from the wind at mile 65, yes, I fell to the ground. My body stopped digesting fluids and solids around 2:00pm. The bike aid stations ran out of water with more than 20 miles to go. I made the bike cutoff with 20 mins or so to spare. I began the marathon at about 6:00pm. After several pukings and 2 total blackouts, yes, I fell to the ground completely out. I was taken off the course around 9:45 near mile 17 on the run by the medics. I completed 132 out of 140 miles, 8 miles short of the finish line.

I will be going back to IMAZ this November to finish the thing. I want my medal and T-shirt.

This was the first, and hopefuly the only race to DNF for me.

BTW, do you know what you get if DNF at Ironman?

NOTHING.

WOW!  You should get this story to the RD for this year.  That story would sound great over some music and seeing you in pain on the run this year.  We would all be wondering..."can he do it?".  America loves an underdog.

With that said I hope to pass you.

Heh...you go right ahead and pass, make it early in the race, maybe on the bike....Heh, go fast....see ya at the finish line!!!

2009-03-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2015272

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-03-13 8:35 AM Not to jack the thread, but just to clarify:  How do you prevent bonking?  Can't say I've ever done it.  I'm sure eventually it will happen, but will try to avoid it at all costs.  Is my best way to prevent it through educating myself about nutrition and make sure I follow it through before and throughout the race?  I understand the scientific description.

Yes, eat and drink during your exercise.

Thise will not prevent massive cramping if you simply push beyond your limits of training/racing, but it will avoid complete glycogen depletion and the dreaded "bonk."

The only way to avoid the cramping and muscle spasms is to race within your limits and not push too hard.

2009-03-14 3:20 PM

New user
My first and only bonk to date was on my first international distance race last season.  I was not prepared for the 10k run and pushed it too hard on the bike.  I knew things were going real bad after mile one.  Although I didn't actually pass out or really even stop running, I hit the wall at mile 1 and almost literally dragged myself the last 5 miles.  The pain in my legs was almost unbearable, in fact my feet even lost feeling.  Family that was there to watch me race said I went completely pale.  I remember thinking to myself over and over again that I may never race again.  Once I finally finished the run in over an hour (which is terrible for me), I found my folks who were there waiting for me.  I knew I shouldn't lay down or even sit down for a while, so I literally hung on my father and even had my vision go black a few times.  I was in pain, almost clueless as to what was going on around me, and emotionally distraught.  I really hope this never happens again.
2009-03-15 1:46 AM
in reply to: #2017873

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia

BRinSM - 2009-03-15 4:20 AM My first and only bonk to date was on my first international distance race last season.  I was not prepared for the 10k run and pushed it too hard on the bike.  I knew things were going real bad after mile one.  Although I didn't actually pass out or really even stop running, I hit the wall at mile 1 and almost literally dragged myself the last 5 miles.  The pain in my legs was almost unbearable, in fact my feet even lost feeling.  Family that was there to watch me race said I went completely pale.  I remember thinking to myself over and over again that I may never race again.  Once I finally finished the run in over an hour (which is terrible for me), I found my folks who were there waiting for me.  I knew I shouldn't lay down or even sit down for a while, so I literally hung on my father and even had my vision go black a few times.  I was in pain, almost clueless as to what was going on around me, and emotionally distraught.  I really hope this never happens again.

This sounds more like you just pushed too hard for your level of training. It would be very hard to bonk in an Olympic distance race especially at mile 1 of the run, unless you had been starving yourself before the race.

From what you say about the pain in your legs that is more like you paced the race incorrectly.

2009-03-15 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2018637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
I totally disagree that it is very hard to bonk in an Olympic distance race. I have done it a few times (and I have not been starving myself). Also, have you seen footage of the pro who went down yards from the finish at the NYC Tri last year? That's a bonk.

Edited by jellyfish 2009-03-15 8:38 AM
2009-03-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2018773

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia

I haven't seen the NYC tri finish, but I very much doubt a pro would bonk in an 1 hour 50 minute race. He probably was pushing beyond his limits and collapsed at the end  from that.

A bonk is your liver and muscles completely running out of glycogen leaving you unable to do anything. Like someone mentioned before it's like a switch has been flipped.

That's why I started this thread. Many people overestimate when they think they "bonk" "hit the wall" etc, confusing muscle fatigue and cramping for bonking.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who has truly bonked? Rss Feed  

of 3