General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who has truly bonked? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-03-12 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia
Subject: Who has truly bonked?

After reading a quite a few other threads over a long period of time, it seems that people overestimate when they "bonk". I was wondering how many people have really experienced it.

It's happened to me only once and it's a horrible feeling. I had gone out for a ride,not planning to go for too long, 2 hrs max, but ended up meeting some friends and the ride ended up being almost 4hrs. I hadn't really eaten much before and I hadn't taken any nutrition with me (or money). Dumb really. I split off from my friends with about 15 miles to go and then everything went to pieces. I just started slowing and slowing and getting weaker and weaker. I was having trouble going over 8mph on the flats. I had to stop on the side of the road and lie down. I was really dizzy. I had a cold sweat and felt kind of like when your arm or leg falls asleep if you have been lying on it in an awkward position, but the feeling was over my WHOLE body. It took me about 1 hour to get about 8 miles. I was seriously considering going into a store and begging for some food and saying I'd come back to pay for it later, but my pride kept saying "it's not that far now, yoooou can make it. THeereees chocolate milk in the friiiidge"

The funny thing is as soon as I got in and downed some food and the chocolate milk I felt fine in no time at all!! Needless to say I always take some cash and a snack from now on!

So, tell me about when you have truly bonked.

2009-03-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2012768

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Who has truly bonked?
2 maybe 3 times.  Once I had a "blackout" type experience on the bike where I was unconscious, or so it seamed, for a second or two, which was super scary.  But in general, you just want to curl up and die, even though you know you have to keep going to get back home / to the car.
2009-03-12 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
My very first tri I ever did - I was so excited/nervous, I forgot to eat that morning, and by the time I got to the run my stomach was in knots and I felt all light-headed and clammy.  I felt like I needed to throw up, but whenever I tried, nothing would come up.  But I still finished, and for that race that was all that mattered.  And I learned a dang good lesson, too!!
2009-03-12 8:35 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
when coasting down a hill and you try to pedal and it hurts too much or feels like you have no energy to even do that, you know you are either in or nearing the bonk zone. I usually have one of these types of rides each season early on. It always gives me a reminder on bringing enough food or $$$ on a long ride.
2009-03-12 8:41 AM

User image

I was doing a brick and had no clue what calorie need I had. 3:30 bike followed by 1:00 run. About 40 min into the run everything shut down. Felt like someone threw a switch and I just could not run another step. I walked home and with having to stop for a minute or two often it took a while to get there. It was the weirdest feeling.

About a minute after a big ol' cup of recoverite I was happy as a clam again and life was good.
2009-03-12 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2012820

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I've never bonked on the road.

I've been on 7+ hour mountain bike rides where I've gotten to the last hour and totally imploded. Nothing left at all. Last summer it happened while riding near Breckenridge. There is a flat multi use path heading into town. The ride we did ended with 5 miles of that back into town. We were a group of 5, the 3 single guys with more training time dropped myself and the other out of shape dad to let us suffer in peace. It was all we could do to keep from dropping into the granny gear to make the little rises. We're talking 22-32 mountain bike granny gears. We were actually passed by little old ladies on comfort bikes.

It was humbling. And ranks as one of the top two mountain bike rides I've ever done.

2009-03-12 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2012817

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

morganjohnson - 2009-03-12 9:35 AM My very first tri I ever did - I was so excited/nervous, I forgot to eat that morning, and by the time I got to the run my stomach was in knots and I felt all light-headed and clammy.  I felt like I needed to throw up, but whenever I tried, nothing would come up.  But I still finished, and for that race that was all that mattered.  And I learned a dang good lesson, too!!

That's not bonking ....... you were probably dehydrated and uber-hungry, but you did not totally deplete your reserves.

A "bonk" is when you cannot do anything at all.  You are so completely sapped that you cannot think straight, emotions are all over the place (crying, laughing, angry), and you almost always will have to stop.  And it is something that is going to be over 3 or 4 hours of exercise.

I have a few times in my "career."  The worst one I was about 8 miles from home, which was a flat route the whole way back, and absolutely could not pedal anymore.  I pulled over on the shoulder and just sat there in the grass shaking.  Luckily a lady with a bike rack stopped and was able to take me to the entrance of my neighborhood, but I still had to ride the mile back to my house from there.  Hardest mile of my life ........  When I got in the house I made my little brother call in for a pizza and get my check book and I just laid on the couch.  I ate the whole pizza and drank about a gallon of water ..... It sucked!!

2009-03-12 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

I truly bonked at IMAZ last April:

I made it through the swim without issue. I made it through the bike and a little more than half way on the run. It was a tough day. The temp was predicted to be 92, turned out to be 97 and the light 6mph winds kicked up to 25mph gusts. Both contact lenses were blown from my eyes on the bike, the first one at mile 10, the second at mile 50. I am already blind without them, but just to make it fun, due to dehydration, my right eye totally clouded up and everything turned white and cloudy. So my bike speed decreased because I could not see 5 feet in front of me. I was blown off my bike from the wind at mile 65, yes, I fell to the ground. My body stopped digesting fluids and solids around 2:00pm. The bike aid stations ran out of water with more than 20 miles to go. I made the bike cutoff with 20 mins or so to spare. I began the marathon at about 6:00pm. After several pukings and 2 total blackouts, yes, I fell to the ground completely out. I was taken off the course around 9:45 near mile 17 on the run by the medics. I completed 132 out of 140 miles, 8 miles short of the finish line.

I will be going back to IMAZ this November to finish the thing. I want my medal and T-shirt.

This was the first, and hopefuly the only race to DNF for me.

BTW, do you know what you get if DNF at Ironman?

NOTHING.

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2009-03-12 9:25 AM
2009-03-12 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Twice, both long rides gone horribly wrong.

Sucks horribly.
2009-03-12 9:50 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
'Bonking' or also referred to as “hitting the wall” is when you have significantly depleted your glycogen stores in the muscles and liver (hypoglycemic). Considering in general we use around the same percentage carbs/fat for fuel at lactate threshold which is scientifically defined as the increase of 1 mmol/liter over the athlete’s exercise baseline, then an athlete might reach this state after exercising 2-3 hrs (+/-) at lactate threshold without replenishing calories (carbs) at all.

You might 'bonk' in a shorter periods of time if you start exercise already in CHO deficit or exercising at higher intensities: VO2 max, Maximum Lactate Steady State (which usually is equated in triathlon to Lactate Threshold Heart Rate level or Functional threshold power/pace; this in general equal a 60 min maximum effort). Usually it takes us longer to 'bonk' since we start our sessions fueled and we tend to consume sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. during the session.

I've bonked twice - Once at the Boston Marathon; I raced at a pace way harder above my fitness level then and I simply "hit the wall", felt tired, dizzy, confused, weak, etc. I felt horrible the rest of the day. Another time during a long ride; I ate/drink little before a long ride and barely drank anything while riding, 4 hrs into the ride I felt like someone switch off my energy supply and I alsmost went down. It wasn't as bad cuz after some cokes, pretzels and gummy bears I was able to complete the ride although super slowly.

Interesting fact I just learned a few days ago - Did you guys know that the term 'bonking' comes from the sport of cycling and it was called that way when riders would get blood glucose levels low, they would fell off their bikes and "bonked" their heads on the ground!
2009-03-12 10:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
my best was about hour 18 of a 24 hr solo MTB race. I was found lying on the ground having a conversation with a shrub named Steve.  Not much fun at all. Well, except for the folks that found me.

2009-03-12 10:01 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Once, at the Bud Light USTS in Denver, circa 1989? 88?

A little undertrained, and pushed it really hard as I wanted to qualify for Nationals again (top 10 in each AG qualified at that time), I vaguely remember getting dizzier and slower, staggering the last 1/4 mile, and then kind of awaking on a stretcher covered in iced towels in the med tent.

Blegh. Worst feeling of my life, and finished 11th, the 10th guy passed me in the last 1/2 mile.

John 

2009-03-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2012933

User image

Master
Freeswimmingfish - 2009-03-12 7:22 AM

I truly bonked at IMAZ last April:

I made it through the swim without issue. I made it through the bike and a little more than half way on the run. It was a tough day. The temp was predicted to be 92, turned out to be 97 and the light 6mph winds kicked up to 25mph gusts. Both contact lenses were blown from my eyes on the bike, the first one at mile 10, the second at mile 50. I am already blind without them, but just to make it fun, due to dehydration, my right eye totally clouded up and everything turned white and cloudy. So my bike speed decreased because I could not see 5 feet in front of me. I was blown off my bike from the wind at mile 65, yes, I fell to the ground. My body stopped digesting fluids and solids around 2:00pm. The bike aid stations ran out of water with more than 20 miles to go. I made the bike cutoff with 20 mins or so to spare. I began the marathon at about 6:00pm. After several pukings and 2 total blackouts, yes, I fell to the ground completely out. I was taken off the course around 9:45 near mile 17 on the run by the medics. I completed 132 out of 140 miles, 8 miles short of the finish line.

I will be going back to IMAZ this November to finish the thing. I want my medal and T-shirt.

This was the first, and hopefuly the only race to DNF for me.

BTW, do you know what you get if DNF at Ironman?

NOTHING.

WOW!  You should get this story to the RD for this year.  That story would sound great over some music and seeing you in pain on the run this year.  We would all be wondering..."can he do it?".  America loves an underdog.

With that said I hope to pass you.

2009-03-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2013040

User image

Sensei
Sin City

JorgeM - 2009-03-12 7:50 AM 'Bonking' or also referred to as “hitting the wall” is when you have significantly depleted your glycogen stores in the muscles and liver (hypoglycemic)....

....Another time during a long ride; I ate/drink little before a long ride and barely drank anything while riding, 4 hrs into the ride I felt like someone switch off my energy supply and I alsmost went down.

My definition as well.

Similar to this, it happened to me, once (maybe twice).  But the one time I remember for sure was during a long run last year.  I was probably under nurished and dehydrated at bit, but I was about 2.5 hours into my run, pushing a little harder than I should, feeling great, then it was like someone 'flipped the switch'.  I suddenly had nothing left, barely enough energy to even walk.  I NEVER felt like I didn't heve enough in me to at least jog, even after my IM, but this time, I would try to pick it back up to a jog, get 50 yards, and was literally forced back to a walk.  I had to struggle the last 2 miles back to the house...

2009-03-12 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I started running about a year ago, from basically doing nothing aerobic, and I was totally naive about it.  About 4 months later, after I had built up mileage (much to quickly), I decided to try a 'long' bike (75 miles) followed by a 'long' run (16 miles, planned -- didn't make it).  I ate nothing the entire time.  Let's just say it didn't work out too well.  I had to call my wife to come get me.

That's when I decided that maybe I needed to learn something about training.  Laughing

2009-03-12 10:38 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
I bonked 2 miles into the run at Longhorn and had to walk the next 11.1 miles with only brief moments of running(mainly when I went downhill). That was one of the lowest points of my life, fighting through that to finish the race. It's also why I've named this year The Season of Vengeance.

Edited by JBrashear 2009-03-12 10:39 AM

2009-03-12 10:40 AM

Elite
Laurium, MI

i came damn close a few weeks ago.  I went out on a ride without much eating much of anything that day and didn't bring food with me.  I seriously underestimated the hilliness of the return leg of the course and the downhill on the way out was so fun, I pushed way to hard.

I sat in a left hand turn lane through 3 light cycles just watching the arrow change colors.  I was having a great time.  If a car didn't finally come up behind me and honk, I have no idea how long I would have sat there.  The final mile home was tough to ride.  I had zero reaction time.  It was like I was watching everything happen, but just didn't 'get it'.    Riding into the apartment complex, I actually had the thought that if I just fell over right here, it wouldn't be so bad.

I will say though, if you ever go through this, go out running or riding the day after.  You feel like a machine!

I have hit the wall to the point that I had to get off the bike and lay down, but I've never held and conversations with a bush named Steve.  That's classic!

Edited by vortmax 2009-03-12 10:43 AM
2009-03-12 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Luckily, I never have.
2009-03-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2013229

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

btw, we are all having a bit of fun with this, but on a more serious note:

The reason that you get dizzy, can't move, stagger, etc. when you bonk is that your body has run so low on glycogen that it is shutting down external/peripheral systems to preserve the last of the glycogen to keep the brain running. It can be pretty serious.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled hilarity/flashback montage.

John

2009-03-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2013040

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
JorgeM - 2009-03-12 10:50 AM 'Bonking' or also referred to as “hitting the wall” is when you have significantly depleted your glycogen stores in the muscles and liver (hypoglycemic). Considering in general we use around the same percentage carbs/fat for fuel at lactate threshold which is scientifically defined as the increase of 1 mmol/liter over the athlete’s exercise baseline, then an athlete might reach this state after exercising 2-3 hrs (+/-) at lactate threshold without replenishing calories (carbs) at all.

You might 'bonk' in a shorter periods of time if you start exercise already in CHO deficit or exercising at higher intensities: VO2 max, Maximum Lactate Steady State (which usually is equated in triathlon to Lactate Threshold Heart Rate level or Functional threshold power/pace; this in general equal a 60 min maximum effort). Usually it takes us longer to 'bonk' since we start our sessions fueled and we tend to consume sports drinks, gels, bars, etc. during the session.

I've bonked twice - Once at the Boston Marathon; I raced at a pace way harder above my fitness level then and I simply "hit the wall", felt tired, dizzy, confused, weak, etc. I felt horrible the rest of the day. Another time during a long ride; I ate/drink little before a long ride and barely drank anything while riding, 4 hrs into the ride I felt like someone switch off my energy supply and I alsmost went down. It wasn't as bad cuz after some cokes, pretzels and gummy bears I was able to complete the ride although super slowly.

Interesting fact I just learned a few days ago - Did you guys know that the term 'bonking' comes from the sport of cycling and it was called that way when riders would get blood glucose levels low, they would fell off their bikes and "bonked" their heads on the ground!

that bolded section is what happened to me, I was trying to follow around a friend of mine last summer on my mountain bike and he can climb like a hill with ease.. only took 90 minutes of this pace (I was also dieting at the time so didn't start out with a full tank) before I had to finish the trail riding my granny gear the rest of the way. 

2009-03-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2012885

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Daremo - 2009-03-12 9:09 AM

A "bonk" is when you cannot do anything at all.  You are so completely sapped that you cannot think straight, emotions are all over the place (crying, laughing, angry), and you almost always will have to stop.  And it is something that is going to be over 3 or 4 hours of exercise.

Nice way to put it. At about 6.5 hours into the ride last summer I tapped my emergency food, Fritos, and was literally rolling on the ground laughing because they tasted so good. We hit that 5 mile MUT trail at 6:45 into the ride and it took an hour to ride 5 miles. That's how trashed we were. The only way we made it back was to ride a couple minutes then stop and rest for a couple. Came close to crying when the little old lady on the comfort bike passed us. The support crew (one guy's wife) had dinner ready for us. I forget what it was, but I was able to get a bit down. Later I downed a giant portion of some peanut butter concoction from Cold Stone Creamery. It was awesome.

2009-03-12 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I have blood sugar issues anyway, so I have to be really careful though I still mess up sometimes and it gets ugly fast. Here are some of my symptoms:

- Dizziness
- Cold sweat
- ZERO energy
- Malaise
- Extreme confusion (brain function is impacted)
- Panic
- Indecisiveness

The first really bad one was on a long solo bike ride far from home. Very little money and no credit card. I started getting hungry about 40 miles from home, had enough money to buy 2 bananas which didn't get me very far. I felt horrible, could no longer turn the cranks on flat ground and could barely keep myself on the seat. Ended up walking about 10 miles in cleats. By the time I got home, I was sweaty and shaky and totally out of my mind. Ate everything in site and slept for the rest of the day.

Another time was during a really long, tough day hike. Again, not enough food. In the late afternoon we're trying to get back before dark when it hit. Any little uphill, I had to stop and sit down. With about 5 miles to go, I couldn't stand up any longer. I had no energy at all and I was really confused and panicky. My friend finally got a cell signal and called the Sheriff's dept about a rescue. They told him that unless it was life threatening, they couldn't help us. Luckily, someone had a few gels left in their backpack and it gave me just enough boost to keep moving, I felt sick for days after that one.

The most recent time was during an adventure race. I didn't eat hardly anything the night before or the morning of the race, I shouldn't have even started that race. I had no gas whatsoever during the bike portion and could barely push my bike. At one of the control points, they pulled me from the course, took my bike and made me ride back to the start/finish in a boat. I remember thinking how nice the air felt and how cool the spray was from the boat. I tried to eat but couldn't. I didn't get my appetite back for a few days. I almost hooked up with a team prior to the event but I decided to go solo, good thing or I would have ruined their race too. I was humiliated and humbled by that experience. I learned a lot that day.

It can be a dangerous condition but my wife and I joke about it sometimes. When I start acting cranky or weird, she says "do you need something to eat." She can tell when it's coming on before I can sometimes but I'm getting better at recognizing the symptons.
2009-03-12 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Oh, one more thing about the adventure race. I was so confused, I kept getting off the bike and checking my tires for flats, I was sure they were flat. I felt horrible on the run and was way in the back. By the time I got to the bike, I was pretty much last place. I felt terrible before I even got on the bike but figured I could tough it out (WRONG).

The scariest part of the whole thing is that I never saw another bike and felt totally alone. I ran out of water and by this time it was in the 90s. It was bizzare to be racing and not see anyone. The confusion and panic was off the charts, I started thinking I was on the wrong trail or going in the wrong direction.

I was relieved when the guy said "Hey man are you OK? I got a call from the Race Director, he told me to take your bike away from you." - That cut DEEP.
2009-03-12 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I was out riding by myself in TX one day.  Winds and heat had been more than predicted and I hadn't brought enough nutrition.  I was OUT of energy completely.  I rolled into a gas station about 40 miles from home cursing myself for not bringing my phone.  I was DONE.  I had to sit at that gas station in the shade with a snickers and a mountain dew for an hour before I could get back on my bike.

Fun times.  Not recommended.

2009-03-12 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I've had several near bonk experiences where I've had to stay at a convience store for 40+ minutes sipping on coke to make it back to the car. 

But my one true bonk experience was on the Silver Comet Trail.  (that's a path from Atlanta to Alabama).

I was very neive in the ways of nutrition and figured that I could ride to the end of the SCT and back for a long ride (80 miles total).  Nevermind that I was riding solo, it was hottish and I had never ridden more than 40 miles at one time in my life.

I prepared well.  I brought 2 water bottle and 2 powerbars.  Plenty for every other ride I've been on.  Things went great on the way out and I averaged about 20 mph all the way to the end.  The sidewalk ended and I was stoked I found the end of the SCT.  Feeling great, I finished off my first water bottle and noticed that I had about half of a powerbar left.  Plenty!

I head back and it's now about 1-2 pm and I notice that the trail is starting to get blurry.  I figured I was just bored so I picked it up a bit and started singing to myself.  Next thing I know I can't keep it over 15 mph no matter what I do.  After I almost slammed into one of the long bridges, I decided to stop and take a break.  I napped...yes FELL ASLEEP for about 30 min and ate the last bite of my powerbar.  Felt a bit better and continued on.  About 5 miles down the road...it happenned again and I fell off of the trail into the grass 2x before I stopped again.  Took another nap and realized I was about 5 miles from the Paulding County line where there is a Caboose.

I somehow managed to make it there and I called Nan to come pick me up.  We live about 45 min away.  The next thing I remember was waking up to Nan staring over me asking me if I was ok.  I had crawled almost under the train and was spread eagle passed out on my helmet with my bike next to me.  I don't remember anything other than calling her and I was about 100 yds away from the train when I did that.

Yeah..that was as low as I have ever gotten.  We went to the IHOP and I ate like a king and still felt like crap for a long time!

ETA:  The train is about 15 miles from the start of the trail.  This past year, I finally completed that ride End to End btw.  Averaged 21+ mph

Edited by Marvarnett 2009-03-12 12:10 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who has truly bonked? Rss Feed  

of 3