General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Radio Station Rants on Cyclists Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-26 2:55 PM

User image

Madison, WI
Subject: Local Radio Station Rants on Cyclists

This information was forwarded to me by my swim coach this morning.  Apparently there was a pretty aweful conversation about Madison cyclists on WJJO (94.1 in Madison) the other morning.  Below is some of what it contained.  Sorry if the podcast links don't work.  Tried getting more info but can't access the radio station's website from work. 

Things are bad enough already with biker/motorist relations in this city.  This is the last thing we need!!  I already emailed the executive director of the bicycling federation of Wisconsin.  Don't know what good it will do but wanted them to be aware of the issue.

Subject: [madcross] RE: WJJO Hosts Yelling at Madison Bikers

Although JJO has not released a transcript from this mornings show, here's a few quotes I found from a earlier show on the JJO website that's about similar.

The skit was called:

Bike Path of Death: How to take out a cyclist.

Download it here:

http://podcast.loyalears.com/wjjo.php?task=browse&file_id=789 <http://podcast.loyalears.com/wjjo.php?task=browse&amp;file_id=789>

Some disturbing Quotes.

J. Danger "The one thing the people in this city are sick of is bicyclists"

Comedian "The basic idea is instead of killing deer we take out bicyclists in the Dane county area because we feel they're flamers and should be shot at"

Comedian "Bicyclists tend to hover around areas that are gay and retarded"

Comedian "This is someone who needs to be taken off the planet as soon as possible, shoot him! shoot him!"

Gun Shots heard

Comedian "Yeah, I bagged me a nancy boy, woo hoo!"

Comedian "Remember the only bicyclist who isn't a pain in your as s is a dead one on the side of the road"

J. Danger "That's one down about 30,000 to go"

Unknown: "The opinions of J Danger don't necessarily reflect those of Midwest Family Broadcasting J. Danger Interrupts "oh yes they do, yes they do, I guarantee you they do!"

Timothy

Guy, Timothy

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:31 AM

To: Mad Cross Group

Subject: WJJO Hosts Yelling at Madison Bikers

I'm not sure if anyone else was listening to 94.1 WJJO this morning in Madison but they had a segment of the program dedicated to making fun of bikers around 7:20 or so. The morning hosts talked about how they loved to roll down their windows and yell things at the lame bikers like "nice spandex you fairy!" It went on for a few minutes.

I'm not sure if I'm blowing it out of proportion, but with all the crap I take from drivers on my daily commute it really struck a nerve with me. I've had many drivers yell things at me or nearly clip me, so knowing one of them is a local DJ bothers me. I've contacted the station and their owners, will no longer listen, and am going to contact as many of their sponsors as possible. Feel free to forward on or delete.

JJO is owned by Mid-West Family Broadcasting:

[email protected] GM

[email protected] Director of Sales

[email protected] Local Sales

JJO Studio Line:

608-321-0941

Station contact list:

http://www.wjjo.com/Contests/JJO+Contact+Sheet-4.html <http://www.wjjo.com/Contests/JJO+Contact+Sheet-4.html>

Station Supporters Email:

[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

[email protected] = Chalmers Jewelers

[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> = Herzing College

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Station Supporters Web Contact:

http://www.einsteinpcs.com/airadigm/contact+us/default.asp <http://www.einsteinpcs.com/airadigm/contact+us/default.asp> - Einstein PC's

http://www.einsteinpcs.com/airadigm/contact+us/default.asp <http://www.einsteinpcs.com/airadigm/contact+us/default.asp>

http://goldes.com/contact.php <http://goldes.com/contact.php>

http://www.farmandfleet.com/customer_care/default.aspx <http://www.farmandfleet.com/customer_care/default.aspx>

2009-03-26 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2042179

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: Local Radio Station Rants on Cyclists
That's downright f-ugly, seems like it might be covered/pursuable under incitement or public endangerment laws. Any BT lawyers out there?

Edited by StMaas 2009-03-26 3:05 PM
2009-03-26 3:14 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I haven't listened to JJO for the longest time, due to one reason - Johnny "I'm the worst fuching sleazeball known to humankind" Danger.

I better make a call tomorrow morning and just flame the corksucker.  I bet he'll cut me off in less than a second since he's such a pu$$y.  I could get on him for being such a poor volleyball player, too.  He's a LOSER!!

2009-03-26 11:26 PM

User image

Regular
This is sad.  I enjoy cycling to work in the summer time.  I did it about 2 to 3 days a week last year.  Saves on gas and it only takes me about 23 minutes on the bike. Glad I don't live in Madtown anymore.  Lived there for almost 2 years in the early 90's.
2009-03-26 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Now I thought Madison was supposed to be Bike Town USA. Men's Health told me a bunch of times. And Bicycling Magazine told me too. And somebody else told me that Madison has the highest per capita number of cyclists of any city in the country.

So I was like "sweet" and showed up here two months ago, and since then I have almost gotten hit about a dozen times on my bike in broad daylight. Even a bus and an ambulance tried to kill me in a bike lane. Where I used to live there was very little bike infrastructure, yet I would have a close call maybe a couple times a year. Now there are haters on the radio here too? Madison, you're not living up to your reputation! Why do people hate cyclists so much here?

Edited by skavoovie 2009-03-26 11:36 PM
2009-03-27 9:10 AM

User image

Madison, WI
I heard back from the bicycling federation this morning.  The exec director said that they are very aware of the situation and are sitting down with the radio station next week!

2009-03-27 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

The most effective thing to do would be to write a nicely worded letter explaining why you will no longer be listening to JJO and your disappointment with their sponsors, send it in an email to the GM and sales manager, and copy all of the sponsor emails listed so they get the message too. 

Edited by runs_with_jasper 2009-03-27 12:51 PM
2009-03-28 3:26 PM

User image

Brookfield, WI
Really hit them where it hurts.  Start writing letters/email advertisers......
2009-03-28 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2045987

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I know what would hurt.  Seeing Johnny "Loser" down the street and smacking him up side da head, real hard.  That would give me some pleasure for the day.

DISCLAIMER: I don't recommend doing this, though.  All that assault/battery stuff, ya know.

2009-03-30 11:37 AM

User image

Franklin, Wi
The whole podcast section for jjo is now under "maintenance in progress" Hmmm.
2009-03-30 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I received this email regarding the situation today. It looks like a good outcome, actually.
--------------------

All:

I am pleased to report that my meeting with WJJO Operation Manager Randy Hawke and station owner Tom Walker went extremely well and will likely yield several positive results.

First and foremost, Mid-West Family Broadcasting will produce 2 bicycle safety PSAs and air them no fewer than 200 times at all times of the day. I was assured that they take their role in airing community service messages seriously, and the spots will not be relegated to 4:17 AM airings. The scripts for both PSAs will be sent to the Bike Fed to ensure factual depiction of Wisconsin bicycle law and accuracy of content. While they are nowhere near writing actual scripts yet, the frequent themes that will be emphasized are:

1. Bicycles are legal vehicles under Wisconsin State Law, and entitled to all the rights and responsibilities as other users of the road.
2. State law requires motorists provide a 3-foot clearance when passing bicyclists.
3. Public roadways are for all users.
4. With the right to ride your bicycle on public roads comes the responsibility to follow the rules of the road.

A possible theme for the PSAs emerged: "Respect is a two-way street", implying a desire to increase awareness, understanding and respect amongst all users of the road.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to these ideas.

Additionally, on-air personality Johnny Danger expressed a desire to get on a bike himself, possibly giving bike commuting a try. Mid-West also sponsors a Boys and Girls Club Ride, and Danger may be participating in that ride as well.

Lastly, Mr. Walker has an astounding collection of autographed memorabilia from his years in the music business, and expressed a desire to contribute to fundraising efforts like the Saris Gala to benefit bicycle advocacy.

Overall, it was a very positive meeting. Both Mr. Walker and Mr. Hawke agreed that Tuesday's on-air comment regarding the harassment of cyclists from the window of a car was not only inappropriate, but could very well endanger the life of cyclists. The person who made the comment was disciplined and Johnny Danger was reprimanded for not hitting the "kill switch", which would have effectively kept the comment from ever leaving the studio.

Also, it should be noted that the audio comments posted to Madvelocity.com were aired in August of 2008, not last week. Several of the people who were responsible for the August 2008 piece have since been dismissed, because - in Mr. Walker's words - "we will not give a forum to shock-jocks". He admitted the potential problems that come with live, unscripted comedy radio, but assured me that he will not permit a format that encourages and rewards dangerous and illegal behavior toward cyclists.

Overall, it was a great example of taking a bad situation and turning it into a positive. Mr. Walker is himself a bicyclist, provides indoor bike parking and shower and locker facilities for his employees who bike to work, and is actively involved in promoting compact, bike and transit-friendly development in the city of Madison. In short, he is not an enemy of bicyclists. Randy Hawke is also a bicyclist and eager to work with us to promote bicycling on the air. Johnny Danger is - contrary to some to the unsolicited comments e-mailed to the station - a very active and fit individual who participates in numerous non-motorized outdoor activities, and would probably make an excellent "convert" to our cause. I intend to keep trying to get him into cycling - either commuting, recreation or perhaps even competition.

Thanks to all who contributed to this effort.

--
David Vogt
Deputy Director
Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin
(608) 251-4456

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Radio Station Rants on Cyclists Rss Feed