General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training schedule advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-01 2:15 PM

Regular
TwinCities, MN
Subject: Training schedule advice

I am building for vineman full on august 1st and have a problem. The weekend of July 9th-10th is supposed to be my final big weekend.  Sat 6hr ride, 1hour run off the bike. Sun 1hr30min ride, followed by 3hr run. Same routine I use for IMKY last year. I had family function come up for the whole weekend. I coach my kids fastpitch softball team. In the past I have been able to work around it but I cannot that weekend.

Should I just scrap the whole weekend and go with a two week taper and have my huge weekend two weeks out instead of three or just drop that part of the schedule and continue on the next weekend. I recover well and usally only taper two weeks for marathons.

2009-07-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2256476

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Training schedule advice

I'd probably try to see if there was anyway i could rearrange my work schedule to get it in close to that time.  Like leave work one day at noon.  Or hop on your bike at 5:30am and be in at work by say 1ish.  Something like that.  Or maybe make your ride shorter (say 4 hours) but with higher intensity.  I don't have a lot of experience, but those are just some of the things I'd be thinking about as ways to attempt to get it in close to when it was planned.

2009-07-01 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Like was said, I would try and fit them in on Thurs/Fri and maybe do shorter workouts on Sat/Sun if possible. . just switch the days.  Now with that said, you will not loose any fitness by not doing the workouts.  At least not that close to the event.  Looks like you have put in some solid training this year, so I would imagine you would be good to go. 

Maybe just do a 3 week taper. . that is not unheard of. 
2009-07-01 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
^^^  You won't lose anything physically by skipping a monster weekend that close to the race.  Any real benefit at that point is psychological.
2009-07-02 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Well, you know your body and recovery better than anyone else. If it was me, I'd probably do some type of compromise. Get in as much riding/running as I could around the family and softball, and then the following week I'd do something in between what I had previously planned for that "lost" weekend and what I had planned for 2 weeks out. For example, let's say your 2 week out Sat bike ride was going to be 4 hours. Since the missed bike ride was 6 hours the week before; do 5 hours and split the difference (making up a little of what you missed, but not all). That would be more for psychological reasons than anything physical that I could really prove or test. IM training is a long, long process; and it's the consistency over time that really sets the stage for your actual results.
2009-07-13 8:41 PM

Regular
TwinCities, MN
Thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to get a 2 hour ride on sat. 2hr 9min run on sunday before our games. It was well worth it to cut training short this past weekend. My daughters team took third place in her fastpitch softball tournament and she had some good pitching performances. I am going to brag a bit here about her performance totals for the weekend pitching. 13 innings pitched struck out 31 batters and gave up 8 runs, 2 wins and 1 loss for the weekend.

I intend to follow my normal IM taper routine for vineman.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training schedule advice Rss Feed