United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 45s
Overall Rank = 5/214
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

I had a bagel with peanut butter when I left the house around 6 am. I managed to mess up my toe on my way to the car by accidentally kicking the front tire of my bike ... I don't plan on doing that again! Once I registered and put a number on my bike (no, it wasn't a sticker), and I had to use zip ties and some tape I found, I set up my transition area, made sure I knew where the in and outs where, had a banana at around 7:30, and then half a power bar about 10 minutes before the swim.
Event warmup:

I stretched a little bit, and swam in the lake for about 5 minutes right before the start ...
Swim
  • 12m 31s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course was out, over, and back ... it seemed really long, but apparently either I swam super fast or the course even though it seems long from the shore was way shorter ... I was in the 3rd wave out, and I managed to swim down bunch of people from the wave in front of me ... I did get elbowed once but I accidentally repaid the favor by kicking somebody ... oops! I felt pretty tired in the water .. not sure if it was because I was going faster than I thought or if today just wasn't the day ... I did manage to finish in the top 15% of the field - 4/26 in my age group 32/214 overall amongst females and 93/450 overall (top 20%). So definitely not bad ... I think I am improving!
What would you do differently?:

I need to get better at sighting, I still feel way more comfortable and faster doing a few break strokes than just lifting my head up ... I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I am making baby steps to become better/faster ....
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I suck at transition .. I had issues getting my suit off .. where were the wetsuit strippers when you need them! The suit got stuck on my heels ... other than that transition was pretty good ... I did have to slow down to get out of my row of bikes (isles were very narrow) because some guy was in front of me looking for his area and taking his time ... move over buddy! Overall, I was 2/26 in my age group, 39/214 amongst females, and 46/450 overall ... but I definitely have to be able to make these much faster!

Be Faster ...
Bike
  • 36m 14s
  • 12.74 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the shortest bike course I have done so far ... I was pushing it the whole time ... I felt like crap though, and my stomach felt empty ... boo ... how much food do I need to eat before hand? I really don't think I can eat much more, but I am not happy with my nutrition ... I sure gotta figure it out fast though! I got passed by two people, a guy and a chick who literally just flu right by me. Now, I wasn't going slow, I was around 21mph, when she flu right by me .. and I mean flu ... she had one of those crazy tires that you can hear from a mile away ... I wanted to go with but I just didn't have it .. sad but true .. :( ... the course had lots of rolling hills, one great downhill, followed by a nasty uphill ... I did eat my GU at around mile 10 so I could have some energy for the run ... I came in 2/26 in my age group, 7/214 amongst females, and 46/450 overall ... again, not bad, but yes, I know I can get FASTER! I want to keep up with that chick that made me look like I was taking a break!

Not much ... except for maybe trying to get my heart rate down somehow without slowing down ...
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

4/26 in my age group and 8/214 amongst females ... not bad, but definitely can get faster again .. I suck at racking my bike and taking my helmet off cuz I always lose my sunglasses ... boo ... I have to see if I can put t hem under my helmet straps instead of over ...

Hurry more!
Run
  • 22m 43s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was miserable .. hot as hell and not enough water stops .. 1st water stop was right on the beginning, so I took a cup of water and poured over my neck .. I was heating up .. the sun was shining, and there was no shade ... I managed to pass couple of guys, and that's it. There weren't many people in sight ... 2nd water stop was at the turn around point .. so I again poured the water over my neck to cool down ...

I honestly didn't feel all that great ... 1st mile was fine, 2nd was a struggle, 3rd one I picked it back up, and 4th was fast ...

2/26 and 7/214 and 46/450

I need to be able to get over myself and start my final kick little sooner ... I had way too much energy towards the last few hundred yards to kick it into a sprint ... I really don't like to be uncomfortable and wrestle with high hear rate.
Post race
Warm down:

I took my shoes off as fast as I could, got some ice for me toe, and got a post race massage at the site .. even if it was only 5 minutes it was AWESOME!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:31 | 800 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/26
Overall: 32/214
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: The course was out, over, and back ... the water was surprisingly clean, probably because this was the first nice weekend this summer ...
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:14 | 12.74 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 7/214
Performance: Average
My heart rate was way too freaking HIGH! 152 avg, with 158 high! That's normally my run heart rate ... it was that high right off the bat too ... ugh!
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:43 | 03.25 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 7/214
Performance: Below average
160 Average with a 165 high ... again .. way too damn high
Course: Out and back loop ... rolling hills, one short but steep uphill right before the finish line ...
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No