United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 13s
Overall Rank = 1619/1924
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 118/151
Pre-race routine:

I flew in from Chicago on Wednesday hoping for whatever acclimation to the altitude I could get before race day. On Saturday we did the race expo and then went out to lunch with all the other Chicago BTers and their local ounterparts/SOs/Whathaveyous.

Below we have (from lower left and around the table): Tony (mr2tony), my mom (rmarzano), my dad, me, Jen (jschmitchicago), Jonathan (jowisc), two people my dad worked with, Laura (Whizzzz), Drew (drewb8), Trixie, Robyn (TriOK), Chris, and Stacie (luv2ride) at the very front of the table.

Event warmup:

Woke up at 5:00 to eat breakfast, get dressed, and sit around with Drew's animals until it was time for him to take me to the race start. He dropped me off around 6:15.

Used the porta potty and started the process of trying to find my parents since the plan was to run this race with my mom (rmarzano here on BT). We were hoping to meet people at the 'bucking bronco' for a group Denver for Dime photo in our shirts, but it took us so long to find each other I didn't even have time to check my bag. I just handed it to my dad and my mom and I headed for the start line.
Run
  • 5h 11m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my mom's first marathon and she told me she had started to feel really intimidated that morning. I knew she could do it, but it was going to be tough. We crowded in with everyone else, the gun went off and it took about five minutes for us to hit the actual start line. Things started out slow as we needed to make a porta potty stop. There were only a couple at each aid station with lines about 20 deep. I finally found an alley, but my mom couldn't bring herself to use it so eventually we waited in one of the looooooonnnnnng lines at a porta potty. We did have to make a few other porta potty stops during the race, but the first 8 miles was the worst of it as far as losing time.

Here we are around mile 4.5 ish.

I knew my mom was worried about the time we had lost in the first 8 miles. I also knew we just couldn't make up that time without costing ourselves dearly later in the race so we maintained the pace we were supposed to. This ended up being a smart decision. Around miles 15-16 I was really starting to feel the altitude and I was getting dehydrated by the dry Colorado air, despite taking two drinks at almost every single aid station. It was also getting hot. The temps rose from a perfect 50ish at the start to the lower 80s over the course of the race. At mile 17 we hit Washington Park and I hit my true low point of the race. I was starting to feel light-headed, my mouth felt like it was filled with cotton, breathing the dry air felt like it was scratching my throat, and I was caked in salt. I was barely keeping up the pace and I just wanted to walk.

Shortly after mile 17 we saw the BT crowd - Laura (Whizzzz), Drew (drewb8) Tony (mr2tony), and Stacie (luv2ride). They all had huge smiles on their faces and were a welcome site. I hugged Laura and then Drew was standing there with this huge grin on his face and his arm out to hug me. Hugging him felt like the most awesome thing in the world at that moment. I thought how nice it would be to stay there, but everyone was so excited to see us racing and there was no way I would give up and leave my mom out there by herself.

My mom (rmarzano), me, and Drew (drewb8) at mile 17:

After we left them things were bad - and I must have looked it. My mom kept telling me if I needed to pull out it was okay. We had thought we'd be on our own from mile 17 to the finish, but the BT crew had crossed the park and they were waiting for us at Mile 21 too! It was a huge boost to see them. And Drew had the same huge smile on his face and when I hugged him I had the same sad thought that staying there would be so nice. But again, everyone was so encouraging and I knew I needed to get it together.

We had fallen into a pattern of walking a minute or so at the mile marker and then again through the aid stations. Around mile 22 I realized that as nice as walking felt mentally, physically it was much more painful. I was more lightheaded and my hips felt like they wanted to crack and break in half when I was walking. I also felt like I was holding a better pace when running then I had been able to before.

Finally we saw the mile 25 marker. What a beautiful site it was. Shortly after Jonathan (jowisc) was there cheering for us. As we rounded the last corner I told my mom, "See the mile 13 sign from the half marathon Mom. That means we only have .1 miles to go!" Then I realized, "Mom - we can see the finish line - LOOK!!" We saw my Dad and Bekka, and Jonathan again and then we ran across the finish line with huge smiles on our faces. Then we gave each other a huge hug. My mom got emotional and started crying a little and saying, "I did it! I can't believe I just did it!"

Here I am giving five to some random guy at the finish line:

Running this race with my mom was an awesome experience and I'm glad I had the chance to do it.

What would you do differently?:

Get acclimated to the altitude first, not fall apart, drink more, I dunno. It was the toughest marathon I've ever done - by a large measure. The IM marathon didn't even feel as difficult as this one. I'm not going to dissect it much. I'm just going to be grateful we both made it to the finish line together and happy.
Post race
Warm down:

We got the measly pickings that were left over in the finisher chute for the BOP marathoners (the vast majority of runners were halfers so by the time we finished there was almost nothing left) and then met my dad, Bekka, Jonathan, Drew, and Laura and headed to Katie Mullens to meet the other BTers who did the race.

My mom and I after the finish (not waving from our podium spots, just waving to my dad):

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See "What would you do differently?"

Event comments:

The race was well put on. The volunteers and police were good and things were organized. They do need more porta potties in the earlier aid stations as there were not nearly enough to accommodate the number of runners on the course. It would also be nice if they had a bit more recovery food for the BOP marathon finishers. These two issues were certainly not enough to detract from what a great experience the race was overall though. I would definitely recommend this event.

Last updated: 2009-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
05:11:13 | 26.2 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/151
Overall: 0/1924
Performance: Below average
Course: The course winds through Denver, passes several major landmarks, and hits the five major parks.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-20 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: Denver Marathon

2009-10-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2469145

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Denver Marathon
Running with your mom = very cool! Congrats to you both.
2009-10-20 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job to you and your mom!!!  That is awesome that you ran it together!

2009-10-20 2:19 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

I agree on the toughness factor!  Brutal day.. SO nice of you to run with your mom..That must be great.I was able to run with my wife, most of the way, and that was a great experience..Sorry to have missed meeting you..I did meet your mom a week back..Nice job on the finish..

2009-10-20 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Just think how easy Boston will seem now that you've done a real marathon .  Great job!!
2009-10-20 6:19 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

Way to hang in there Kelly!!!  Great meeting you Sunday

2009-10-20 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
yeah for your mom's first marathon!!!
I love the random guy picture!!!
Great marathon for you ...it looks like you all had alot of fun!
2009-10-20 8:13 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I think we made an awesome team struttin' our stuff down the streets of Denver!  Thanks so much for coming out and doing this with me. 
2009-10-20 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
That's a very cool story!  Thanks!
2009-10-21 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Way to finish out a very tough day and get your mom to the finish line! Cheers to both of you
2009-10-21 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

2009-10-21 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job out there!! How awesome that you got to run with your mom for her first marathon- that is just so cool
2009-10-21 2:12 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il

Great job. The weather reminded me of a Disney Marathon but far dryer. Congrats to you and your Mom. What a cool experience.

2009-10-21 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Congratulations.  Sounds like you guys had a great time.  One either of you will never forget.  Although, my mom and dad would never think about running a marathon, after reading your story, I am hoping I get to do one with my kid(s) some day!

Thanks for sharing and congrats!
2009-10-24 12:52 AM

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Congrats on an awesome finish! It's so great when you can enjoy the experience of doing a marathon and it's even better when you can share it with some one else like your MOM! She a fanatastic lady! I'm sure I don't have to tell you... Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you! I hope I get to sometime soon! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Denver Marathon Rss Feed