United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 38m 7s
Overall Rank = 3146/3593
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 665/805
Pre-race routine:

The temps were great and I was happy it didn’t rain. I took the light rail in with my running group. Its harder getting ready for an afternoon race because it seems like you are waiting all morning for it.

Event warmup:

Walked a half mile to the start and then for the next hour we were just walking around.
Run
  • 38m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I had two goals today, beat last year’s time of 43:21 which happens to be this slow runner’s fastest 5K time and hit 40 minute finishing time.

When I hit mile 1 marker and the volunteer aid 12:40, I was like “what, I’m going too fast!!” I slowed slightly after that to take deep breaths to ease the side stitch I was getting. Then, I pushed on. When I turned the corner on Market Street and I saw the clock in the distance say 39:05. My heels kicked in gear, I never ran so fast, and I powered thru that finish line like a bull.

I rocked Shamrock!!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

walked, stretched and grabbed some water as I waited for everyone in my group to finish. Then we all went to grab post race food and beer. Not me, I hate beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

As we are finishing the St. Patrick's Day parade is going by so that was nice. We got to see the rest of it as we walked back to the train station.

My final time was 38:07 with a 12:38 pace!! That’s 5 minutes 14 seconds faster than last year's 43:21 which was my fatest time!!

Last updated: 2010-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:07 | 03.1 miles | 12m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 645/805
Overall: 3065/3593
Performance: Good
AvgHR 161, MaxHR 186. My heart rate monitor isn't always right but I know my heart rate was elevated as I pushed through the race.
Course: First half mile is downhill and then relatively flat after that. There were slight inclines but not noticeable to me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes