General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I know there's no guarantee I'll finish first IM, but what would your tips be to prevent disaster? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-03-29 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: I know there's no guarantee I'll finish first IM, but what would your tips be to prevent disaster?
I have two little kids, and the oldest will start school in the fall, so this is MY YEAR. This is my IM year, and after this things are going to start getting more hectic with the kids having their own activities. Dh did his IMs last year, and I'm doing mine this year. If I fail, I most likely won't get another chance for quite awhile, because our lives just can't sustain this kind of training volume.

With that in mind, what would be your advice to make sure I don't DNF?
I know how to change a flat. I carry a spare and a patch kit. Getting the 650c Continental tire on my Zipp rims is next to impossible, even for bike mechanics, but I'm sure I would have a burst of adrenaline that would get it over the edge.

I am trying hard to work on my nutrition, so I don't have serious stomach problems. Usually I am prone to getting the runs on the run. That can make for a long marathon. So I'm working on that.

I'm putting in the training for sure. I'm doing a Gale Bernhardt plan with some extra biking thrown in, because I feel the plan is light on biking.

What else could derail me that I need to prepare for?

I did the triathlon finish time calculator, and my projected finish was 14:50 or so, which is a little too close for comfort. So I plan to work on my biking and push my average speed higher. I put in a fairly low average speed. I've completed two stand-alone marathons. First was 5:10. Second was 4:29. I've completed one HIM, and will have completed 2 more by my IM in Sept.

Thanks for any advice!

2010-03-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2755098

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: I know there's no guarantee I'll finish first IM, but what would your tips be to prevent disas
Practice your nutrition. I saw several very athletic looking must-have-trained-a-lot people at my IM puking on the side of the road or curled up in agony hardly able to move forward. A poorly executed nutrition plan can bring even a well-trained a person under. Oh, and of course, DON'T GET INJURED!
2010-03-29 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Subject: RE: I know there's no guarantee I'll finish first IM, but what would your tips be to prevent disas
Hi Alice, I am also training for my first IM and am in your same situation about my projected time and not having all that much wiggle room. So, as another first-timer, I can't give you any "advice from a veteran" but I just want to say that I believe if you put the time into your training, which you are doing, and if you are ready for flats, mechanical issues, etc., AND if you take care of your nutrition, which you are doing, you should finish. Like you said, it is never guaranteed to anyone, not even the elites.

One thing I am planning is to avoid solid food during the race. From what I've heard, people who eat solids have a higher percentage of stomach/intestinal issues. Gels, those "gu chomp" things, gatorade, etc. are going to be my way to go.

Hang in there, keep steady with your training, don't over-train, eat right, get enough rest, have fun with your family, and have faith. Best wishes for you on race day! 
2010-03-29 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Sounds to me like you are preparing well, especially working on nutrition.  As others have said, nutrition is paramount in an Ironman!  In addition to your ideal nutrition plan, be sure to come up with backup plans.  I use Infinit, and the bike nutrition always goes great, but the run nutrition is another thing entirely.  Sometimes, nothing sits well on the run, so I resort to salt tabs and Coke with the occasional gel/water thrown in.  It helps to screw up in practice so that you get to know the symptoms of dehydration, insufficient salt, or insufficient calories.  That way during the IM you can recognize the problem and correct it.

The other thing I like to prepare for is the mental part of IM.  It can be a loooooong day, and there will be times when your attitude will go south, so you'll need to be able to turn your attitude around.  You sound experienced enough to have already dealt with this.  During the race, problems will arise (getting kicked in the head on the swim, having mechanical trouble on the bike, or having GI issues on the run) -- these things can start a cycle of negative thinking that you'll need to get out of ASAP.  Sometimes in training, I do long runs as multiple loops ending at my house, so I can experience the desire to quit, and practice overcoming that desire.  Having just typed that, it sounds ridiculous!

Good luck!

2010-03-29 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2755211

User image

Master
rockymtnhigh - 2010-03-29 12:02 PM
During the race, problems will arise (getting kicked in the head on the swim, having mechanical trouble on the bike, or having GI issues on the run) -- these things can start a cycle of negative thinking that you'll need to get out of ASAP.  Sometimes in training, I do long runs as multiple loops ending at my house, so I can experience the desire to quit, and practice overcoming that desire.  Having just typed that, it sounds ridiculous!

I don't think that sounds ridiculous at all!  It sounds like a good idea.  Also, your house is a convenient place for water/fuel pickups or mechanical issues.

OP, I tend towards the "runs-on-the-run" also, but like everything else, you just train to deal with them.  I've not done the IM yet (IMLOU 2010), but it worked well for me in marathon training to plan my run pacing by just assuming that I'd have the potty stops and factoring them into my plan.  That way, they didn't stress me out and were actually little "recovery breaks".  If I hadn't needed to stop, awesome, but that is not usually the case with me.
2010-03-29 11:52 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Training - do the work so by the time you are at the swim start you can be 100% confident that you can complete the distance. Also make sure you can handle the challenges; for instance: be able to OWS and be comfortable swimming surrounded by people, be able to ride in crowded roads while respecting the race rules (i.e. no drafting), etc.

Preparation - Make sure your equipment is 100% ready for the race. Have a plan that will guide you through the race considering the good and the bad scenarios.

Pacing - make sure you race at the correct intensity given your fitness level

Execution - Don't do anything crazy on race day (new outfit, ignore pacing, new nutrition, etc.); for any testing use your training. Make sure you can handle any curve balls during the race (i.e. changing a flat, adjusting your fit, handle on course nutrition, etc.)

Nutrition - make sure to fuel enough to complete the race but do NOT over do it and if possible KISS it. Most IM athletes struggle because they ate/drank more of what they should have. Remember, it is ok to be a bit dehydrated and fuel depleted at the end.

Have fun and smile a lot – that will make the experience much more rewarding and it will help you make a tad easier to overcome the unavoidable rough times that you’ll face at different points in the race.

2010-03-29 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
I'm of the opinion that most nutrition issues on race day are actually pacing issues.  By the time you get to the race, it you'll have a good idea of what your stomach can tolerate and what it can't.  I'd spend some time focusing on what paces you are at for the nutrition you are taking in.  Training at 16-17 mph then racing at 18-19 mph will probably lead to your stomach shutting down.

Spend some time thinking through all the "what-ifs" that you can.  What if its 50 degrees and raining?  Do you have cold weather race gear?  What if its 100 degrees and sunny?  Do you have a plan for the heat?  What will you do on the run course when the sun goes down?   Things like that.  I found reading other people's race reports helpful for generating ideas of the problems that they dealt with on race day.

On race day, your ability to do math will probably be impaired.  If you have any sort of time-based system (walk/run, nutrition, etc.) find someway to put it on auto-pilot.  I was shocked that I stopped being able to figure out my run splits because I could remember basic math. 
2010-03-29 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Lots of really good advice given already.

Do the training as it is harder than race day and trust your plan.

You will learn doing your training about nutrition, mental challenges, pacing and more.

Don't let the fear or possibility of not finishing take away from the fun you have in your training and journey to your first IM.

I spent way to much time wondering about what ifs before my first IM. Funny about 2 weeks before my first IM I told my coach I thought of everything possible that could happen and probably something else will come up and I was right. I had my worst asthma attack I've ever had during the run turns out rain and 60 degree is a asthma trigger for me.

I planned a nutrition strategy and then came up with two back up plans of things available on the course and practiced each during long rides. One was water with gels only and the other was all calories from Gatorade.

2010-03-29 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

It is my belief that most of the nutrition issues are caused by too much intake rather than too little. It is much easier to "catch up" if you get behind on nutrition, so I try to err on the side of eating less.

2010-03-29 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

14:50 isn't a bad time.  You have over 2 hours of "contingency" time and you can train towards a faster finish (depending on when the race is). 

Far more athletes never make it to the start line, or show up injured/burned out than drop out of the race.  (Seriously, about 90-95% of the people who start the race, finish it.  And that includes the pro's who quit for season strategies.

Tip 1:  Have a plan.  (You don't say how you get to the finish line in 14:50.

Tip 2:  Slow down if you need to, but otherwise, stick to the plan. 

If the swim takes you 5 minutes longer than your plan, SO WHAT?  Let those 5 minutes go...I'd say the majority of blow-ups occur because people try to get this time back, so they push a little harder on the bike.  Part of the problem is they try to pick up 5 minutes off their "ideal race" time, not their "actual conditions" time. 

Tip 3:  Remain calm.  You've got a plan to get to the finish line with time to spare.  If you have some mechanical problem on the bike, be calm, take your time and calmly fix it (or wait for tech support to help fix it).  Let those few minutes go too.  Every stroke, every step puts you closer to your goal, even if it isn't as fast as you dream about.  GI problems on the run?  Go ahead and spend a few minutes in the port-o-let (unless it's 16:30 and you're still 2 miles from the finish).  In fact, maybe plan for a late pit stop (somewhere around 23 miles) to freshen up and be ready for the adoring crowds in the last 3 miles.  (You don't want to look "pained" in your finish-line pics, do you?

2010-03-29 1:02 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Go and read all the wonderful race reports on this site.  You will notice that most of the folks who had tough IMs had one or more of these issues:

1.  Poor training volume.  Injuries, work, family, motivation.

2. Went out hard on the bike. 

3. Screwed up their nutrition.  This one can go hand and hand with #2.

My advice would be:

1. Get the training in.  There is no short cut.

2. Do what ever it takes to not "eat the paste" on the bike. 

3. Practice biking and running while chowing down.  Know the signs of to much water or food and not enough water or food.

2010-03-29 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

#1:  Stay healthy.

And part of that is:  Don't be afraid of the taper.  Every strained muscle or inflamed tendon you bring along with you on race morning will proclaim itself to you very loudly on the run (which will quickly become a walk), no matter how you pace the bike.  Use your taper...get some rest.  Be wary of pushing through injuries late in training--there's a point of diminishing returns (starting eight weeks from race day, IMO...others would disagree, I'm sure) where the gains from training get smaller vs. the amount of time left to heal up from an injury from overuse (or accident, as happened to me, three weeks before my IM).

Other than that, it sounds like you've got a good handle on things (and, IMO, your 4:29 marathon is a sign of very appropriate run fitness, which is lacking for a lot of folks going in).

2010-03-29 2:02 PM

If you're projecting 14:50, that probably puts you starting the run about 9 hours in, which gives you 7+ hours to do the marathon should you need it.  Run a little, walk a little, stretch, get your legs rubbed down, stop to talk to your family and just take it easy.  I had AT 6 weeks out from IMAZ and none of the therapy really did much to help.  On raceday, once it became obvious the marathon wasn't going to go my way, I shut it down and cruised to a 6:10 split.  But I finished and was never in any real danger of DNF'ing. 

Edited by rexcoltrain 2010-03-29 2:04 PM
2010-03-29 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
  • Do plenty of biking. 100 miles should feel like an "easy" day in the saddle.
  • Practice your nutrition. Know what works and what doesn't.
  • Get to the START line in one piece. Harder than it sounds.
  • Open water swims. Plenty of them.

Know your body. If you start to feel something weird or unusual during the day, know how to handle yourself and what you might need in order to turn the day around. Food. Water. Some sort of blister thing... know yourself and know what you need.

Don't follow the maniacs who will race like bats out of hell for the first 45 miles of the bike... Start off conservatively and see how you feel... then go from there.

MOST OF ALL: Enjoy the ride. It's a process. You will have highs and lows and douts and times when you are absolutely certain of yourself. Enjoy it all. And enjoy race day... because it's the CELEBRATION and CULMINATION of a summer's worth of hard work.

Which IM are you doing?

Edited to Add: I just read some of the other responses... I broke my pinkie toe 5 weeks out from IMWI last year... I had to "run" the marathon with the side of my shoe cut out, because the toe did not heal in 5 weeks and was swollen and painful with every step, but there was no way I was going to let that stop me. Be ready to HTFU.

Also, for me, at least, in my final huge weeks of training... I was not thinking clearly. I was exhausted and sore and stiff and just "out of it". It was in this time period that I ran into my boyfriend's parked car, broke my toe, and had a little meltdown @ the lake.

Make sure you get enough sleep. Surprised Kiss

Edited by Whizzzzz 2010-03-29 2:46 PM
2010-03-29 3:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-29 3:38 PM

Master
NJ

I was in the same boat as you - first IM w/ 2 little kids. It can be done!  One thing I learned is to trust your training. I used Gale's plan and always worried that other people were training longer/harder/differently than I. Stick to the plan, be consistent about your training and race day, trust it. Trust your body to do it's stuff - put in the training time and enjoy race day.  Don't get discouraged if you miss a workout or two - or if you have a complete emotional meltdown at some point during training. Been there and you get thru it. Practice your nutrition, pacing, clothing, etc. before race day. Oh, and after the race, there's nothing wrong with having your kids refer to you as "Ironmommy"

2010-03-29 3:59 PM

Master
Chesapeake, VA

You already have lot's of good advice.  Here are my comments.

1. It's all about the bike.  If you make the bike cut off you can almost walk the entire marathon and finish if you have to. 
  2. I know you've read it before, but DON'T try anything new on race day.   I made that mistake in 2007.
  3. Practice nutrition and follow your plan.  I still haven't figured out my proper nutrition even after completing 2 IM's. 
  4. On race day remember, Slow is Smooth; Smooth is Fast.
  5. Have fun and enjoy the training and the overall IM experience.   Race day is just a stunt.  Training for an IM is where you earn the title of Ironman. 
2010-03-29 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2755478

Master
Chesapeake, VA

McFuzz - 2010-03-29 1:30 PM

Tip 3:  Remain calm.  You've got a plan to get to the finish line with time to spare.  If you have some mechanical problem fall and brake your collar bone on the bike, be calm, take your time and calmly fix it (or wait for tech support to help fix it).  Let those few minutes go too.  Every stroke, every step puts you closer to your goal, even if it isn't as fast as you dream about.  GI problems on the run?  Go ahead and spend a few minutes in the port-o-let (unless it's 16:30 and you're still 2 miles from the finish).  In fact, maybe plan for a late pit stop (somewhere around 23 miles) to freshen up and be ready for the adoring crowds in the last 3 miles.  (You don't want to look "pained" in your finish-line pics, do you?

Fixed it for you Mike. 

2010-03-29 8:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

Great advice has been given, so I will keep it simple.

Stay healthy.  Log the training.  Execute your race plan (pacing, nutrition, etc).

I did IMFL with two little boys in tow and working full time - it can be done!

Good luck, see you in Ohio!

2010-03-30 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2756306

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

captantony - 2010-03-29 4:06 PM

McFuzz - 2010-03-29 1:30 PM

Tip 3:  Remain calm.  You've got a plan to get to the finish line with time to spare.  If you have some mechanical problem fall and brake your collar bone on the bike, be calm, take your time and calmly fix it (or wait for tech support to help fix it).  Let those few minutes go too.  Every stroke, every step puts you closer to your goal, even if it isn't as fast as you dream about.  GI problems on the run?  Go ahead and spend a few minutes in the port-o-let (unless it's 16:30 and you're still 2 miles from the finish).  In fact, maybe plan for a late pit stop (somewhere around 23 miles) to freshen up and be ready for the adoring crowds in the last 3 miles.  (You don't want to look "pained" in your finish-line pics, do you?

Fixed it for you Mike. 

Fixing the collarbone came after the race. 

That definitely changed my race strategy though.  At that point, it was slow down and get through the day.  Nutrition?  Out the window.  Pre-race goals?  Tossed aside. 

Thanks Captn. 

2010-03-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2755398

Master
Bellevue, WA
Nipper - 2010-03-29 10:09 AM

It is my belief that most of the nutrition issues are caused by too much intake rather than too little. It is much easier to "catch up" if you get behind on nutrition, so I try to err on the side of eating less.

I agree with this. Too many people eat too much on the bike. Only you know what is too little, too much, and just right for you.

It's all about nutrition. I've completed six IMs, and with three of them I had nutrition issues. Dehydration in Arizona once (April heat, 95 degree run anyone?) and twice too much food on the bike at Canada. You gained the fitness during training to get you to the finish line with a credible race plan. Bad nutrition on race day is the big risk.

As was said, more people fail to start than fail to finish. Don't blow up before you get to the start line.

If you can do a 4:29 marathon, and you don't overdo the bike, then your projected 14:50 sounds solid. Trust your race day strategy to get you across the finish line. Many people throw their race plan aside in the fury of race day and hammer the bike. Then they blow up on the run and walk long stretches. IMHO, that's the #2 cause of missing planned times (#1 being nutrition issues).

Train with bricks to know what "saving it for the run" feels like.

Edited by brucemorgan 2010-03-30 9:29 AM

2010-03-31 3:31 PM

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."
— Mike Tyson

I'm doing IMSG as my first IM.  I'm getting mentally prepared to get punched in the face (metaphorically speaking) and then move on.  Hopefully, you are having some (but not too many) challenging training sessions during the build-up.  I know I am, and when I do, I try to really be open to how and what I am experiencing what I am, and I file that away so I can dig it back up on race day and leverage that experience. 

This is a great link to read - albeit about IMSG, but I'd think it applies to ANY IM distance. 

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/2010/03/11/racing-in-a-box/

Patience, pacing, perseverance. 

2010-03-31 5:14 PM

Master
Canton, Michigan

The below link is from a TriFuel article from Dec 2007 and I found it helpful to read and made it my mantra at my IM.  I practiced my pacing strategy at a HIM 8 weeks out from the full and knew what to expect. 

"Don't Eat the Paste"

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-nation-four-keys-to-ironman-execution

Hope you find some useful info that will help you achieve your goal.

2010-03-31 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2761011

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
SAquavia - 2010-03-31 3:31 PM "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."
— Mike Tyson

I'm doing IMSG as my first IM.  I'm getting mentally prepared to get punched in the face (metaphorically speaking) and then move on.  Hopefully, you are having some (but not too many) challenging training sessions during the build-up.  I know I am, and when I do, I try to really be open to how and what I am experiencing what I am, and I file that away so I can dig it back up on race day and leverage that experience. 

This is a great link to read - albeit about IMSG, but I'd think it applies to ANY IM distance. 

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/2010/03/11/racing-in-a-box/

Patience, pacing, perseverance. 

And actually, you may want to prepare yourself to be punched in the face. Some of those IM swims are RRRROOOOOOUUUUGGGGHHH. I got kicked in the eye and just pummeled over the back of the head repeatedly. But I knew it would be rough. And I was mostly prepared.

You might get punched in the face. Literally! Surprised
2010-04-01 5:30 AM
in reply to: #2761242

Elite
Roswell, GA
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I know there's no guarantee I'll finish first IM, but what would your tips be to prevent disaster? Rss Feed  

of 2