General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Might Need a Reality Check Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-03 12:53 PM

User image

Houston
Subject: Might Need a Reality Check
Hello Everyone;

My name is Mike, I'm 30 years old, 6'3" and about 320 lbs.  I'm considering trying a Sprint Triathlon in 13 weeks.  I don't expect to win any competitions, I would just like to finish the damn thing.  Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is a realistic goal because I really don't want to injure myself, which I did a few times last year, mainly by trying to run too fast and pulling my calf a few times. 

I am reading that a guy my size shouldn't run because it's too hard on the body, and then I'll read that no matter what your size, just listen to your body... I ran/walked 3 miles last week, I made the first 1.5 miles straight and then would walk for a minute and jog alternately until I finished.  Took me 40 minutes and everything felt fine.  I biked this weekend for 10 miles, took me 43 minutes, but it was a leisurely ride.

Any advice or tips from someone about my size or trained with someone big?

2010-05-03 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2833611

User image

Veteran
Oakland, CA
Subject: RE: Might Need a Reality Check
Sounds like you should definitely be ready for a sprint in 13 weeks. Triathletes comes in all shapes, sizes, etc. and I've seen some big guys kick the crap out of the little folks time and time again.

Doing a 3 mile run/walk in 40 minutes is pretty quick, and biking 10 miles in 43 minutes is right on for completing your first tri in style. Are you comfortable in the water? That's usually the scariest part for newbies.

I'd just recommend finding a good training plan and sticking to it for the next 13 weeks. BT has some really great plans, and I know there are other resources out there too. There are several 12 week plans, so if you get started now, you'll be ready! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress (use the training logs to log your workouts and get feedback from the folks here).

2010-05-03 1:46 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

No pro at this... but.. I am in a simialar boat as you.. I am 253 lbs I dropped over 10 lbs in the last 3.5 weeks and more so I am down from the 279 I was up to.

I am listening to my body and taking it easy, I had already been cycling the last few years and I love it. I am just starting to run..

I started out with a 5 min warm up a 1 min run 4 min walk... for 35 mins total, last week I bumped that to a 1 min run 2 min walk.. and did good 3 days.. last day I started to feel it in my ankle... so I am backing off and really considering trying to get into a running clinic or something to make sure I train safe.

I think you should keep on moving forward.. just don't let your desire to succeed push you to far and hurt yourself... I know that is how I ended up with a sore ankle....

keep me updated on progess and how you do... you have an ambitious goal. I am signed up for a Try a Tri in August and might do two of them in august.

All the best

Chris

2010-05-03 9:22 PM

User image

I'm a bit bigger than you (6'6", 432) and I talked to my doc about this one.  My goal right now is weightloss, plain and simple.  There's no calorie burning benefit to running over walking (okay, there is, but according to him, it ain't much) and he told me to walk at a quick pace.  Now, if you're training for a race, I'd say the "listen to your body" mantra is the right one.  Do what feels good, and when it gets to be too much, back off, but just a little.

2010-05-04 9:06 AM

User image

Houston
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ran another 3 miles yesterday then woke up this morning and did the pool and spin bike.  Feeling good and I'm looking forward to my first tri!  Thanks for the support, good luck to you guys and your goals.
2010-05-04 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
one tip that i wish someone had for-warned me of was how difficult it was in the race to run after cycling.  I cycled and ran before the race, but never back to back.  Just be sure to try it before the race at near race effort to prepare yourself for the "running in sand" feeling I had for the first mile or so.  Nothing to fear, but don't let it catch you off guard like it did me...I almost fell getting off the bike b/c my quads were so pumped, lol

2010-05-04 9:33 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Good point about the Brick training... this was pointed out to me by a friend when I asked about starting this jorney..

Good work on the run and swim.... I work long hours and still managed to get out for a 20 km bike ride last night...

Keep us posted I would like to see how others progress as well...

Chris
2010-05-06 9:35 PM

User image

Hey Mike, I think it is a totaly realistic goal.  I am 6'5 and currently 337lbs.  When I started training 2 months ago i was up around 355ish.  For us bigger guys, I think it is really important to listen to our bodies.  Somedays my knees are really sore so instead of running I hit the pool instead.  Grab one of the 12 week programs and tweak it.  My biggest advice is stick to the plan, dont skimp out on the training and you will see improvement all around.  Good luck with your race.

2010-05-06 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Mike,
Sounds like you'll be totally fine. Like someone else said, your times on the run and bike sound pretty good. When I first started, I could only run a minute. I would run a minute and walk for 3 and repeat until I reach about 30 mins on the treadmill. I gradually started running more and walking less and gradually increased my speed as well. Now, I can run 3 miles without a walking break. 
Just keep putting in the training time everyday and you should be more than ready in 13 weeks.  
2010-05-07 8:07 AM

User image

Houston
You guys are great! Thanks for all the support and the encouragement.  I'm feeling alright actually. I did an 800m swim, 30 min spin, ad a 1 mile run this morning... not quite Ironman yet but certainly Pewter or Aluminum Foil Man.  ;-)

Good luck to all of you with your goals, and really, thanks again.

Mike
2010-05-07 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Great job in starting Chasing, If you promise not to tell "I still run/walk"...It's a secret. I have done a marathon a few sprint Tri's and some 5 and 10k's and I have found that no one is paying me. Heck, If I am not getting paid I am going to enjoy myself. You will find people to encourage along the way and that alone will make it worth while. Remember "slow and easy wins the race".

2010-05-09 9:00 PM

User image

Houston

WOOHOO! Did my first ever 5k yesterday.  I got beat by a 70 year old man and almost by a 99 year old woman.  At least I came in 2nd to last in my age group... lmao.  I feel good, joints are hurting a little bit but nothing unbearable.  I'm proud I actually ran the whole thing.  Well, jogged... shuffled... whatever, I didn't walk.

Thanks again for all the support guys!

2010-05-09 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2847557

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
chasinganima - 2010-05-09 9:00 PM

WOOHOO! Did my first ever 5k yesterday.  I got beat by a 70 year old man and almost by a 99 year old woman.  At least I came in 2nd to last in my age group... lmao.  I feel good, joints are hurting a little bit but nothing unbearable.  I'm proud I actually ran the whole thing.  Well, jogged... shuffled... whatever, I didn't walk.

Thanks again for all the support guys!

That is what counts....finishing under your own power and being proud of the accomplishment.
2010-05-10 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Great job Chasing. Nothing like seeing the finish line and thinking "I DID IT!!!".
2010-05-24 8:57 AM

User image

Houston
So I couldn't take the suspense any longer.  Signed up for the Tejas Tri on June 6th. lol.  Thanks again for all the support!
2010-05-24 9:06 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Great job man.. your making leaps and bounds above me..

I just finally woke up and ran this morning and I am still on intervals...

3 min run, 90 second walk, 5 min run, 2.5 min walk, 3 min run, 90 second walk, 5 min run... ok ok.. 4 min 40 seconds and I was in my driveway again...lol

Cycling is my strength, I did 55 km yesterday. or 35ish miles for the imperial people.

But dude swimming 800m I am impressed. I only started swimming last week and had a hard time with 400m mind you that was all drills as I am doing the swimming with a coach, day one of swimming last week. The coach really paid off...

I am impressed with you. I hope to catch up to your progressive pace...

Nice to see other big guys kicking some butt... :D

2010-05-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2877710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Awesome! You'll do great.

Just remember that there are no losers lined up at the starting line. The losers are the ones who didn't try.

And just for clarification, I use the term "loser" to mean "one who is missing out," not in it's more common derogatory connotation.
2010-05-24 9:47 AM

Regular
Artesia, NM
Good job, keep us posted on how you feel on the bike/run leg. I had not done a tri in 8 yrs and entered a race a couple weeks back. I had not done any specific training, i just wanted to get it done and shock my body. The first mile and a half was about 2-3 minutes slower than my second half. So add a few bike/run workouts.

Is your race OW or pool? I had a guy go into a full panic and try and use me as a floatie, he was hugging every kayak out there.

Show up, have fun and finish. I would not even worry about time so much as maintain your steady training effort, and focus on your running form. My feet were flopping after the bike, i had to concentrate to get into stride.
2010-05-24 10:00 AM

User image

Houston
It's OW, but I'm not concerned.  I'm a fairly strong swimmer.  I swam a mile Friday morning and felt great afterwards. It took me 42 minutes, but that is just fine with me.  Biking I'm confident in, I think if I take it easy I should be alright for the run.  I did a 10k on Saturday, walked a lot since it was really overgrown and tough trails (and we were running it at night).  I think I'll be fine. 

I'm kind of shocked at how fast the progression is going.  Just trying to train smart and not injure myself.  I'm still 320 lbs though even though I have completely changed my eating habits and have increased my workouts by about 10000%...  I'm sure the weight will start coming off soon though... right? lol.
2010-05-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2877908

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
chasinganima - 2010-05-24 10:00 AM It's OW, but I'm not concerned.  I'm a fairly strong swimmer.  I swam a mile Friday morning and felt great afterwards. It took me 42 minutes, but that is just fine with me.  Biking I'm confident in, I think if I take it easy I should be alright for the run.  I did a 10k on Saturday, walked a lot since it was really overgrown and tough trails (and we were running it at night).  I think I'll be fine. 

I'm kind of shocked at how fast the progression is going.  Just trying to train smart and not injure myself.  I'm still 320 lbs though even though I have completely changed my eating habits and have increased my workouts by about 10000%...  I'm sure the weight will start coming off soon though... right? lol.

Look at things like the timing in relationship to workouts.  Should refuel within 30 min of a hard workout.  Maintaining calorie intake (through gels or sprotsdrinks) on the bike and run.  Yes....it will take time to get the metabolism primed to lose weight but you should be seeing some improvements.
2010-05-26 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Wow --great job!  You're an inspiration to me --I'll be remembering your story on my long bike tomorrow morning.  Hats off to you!!!

2010-06-04 1:50 PM

Awesome. Yes I am sure you can do it at your own pace...and a pet peeve of mine is when people say running bad for your knees or body! I think NOT running is bad for you! it sounds like you are on the right track and have realistic goals.
FWIW...I used to try to run and exercise and never stuck with it, til I signed up for a race...then what a rush! that was the thing that motivated me, though I am not competitive against others, I just loved the whole atmosphere.
GOOD LUCK
2010-06-07 1:09 AM
in reply to: #2843204

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
chasinganima - 2010-05-07 11:07 PM You guys are great! Thanks for all the support and the encouragement.  I'm feeling alright actually. I did an 800m swim, 30 min spin, ad a 1 mile run this morning... not quite Ironman yet but certainly Pewter or Aluminum Foil Man.  ;-)

Good luck to all of you with your goals, and really, thanks again.

Mike

That's too funny Mike!

You will be fine. From what you are currently doing you could tackle a Tri now. For your first though, I would recommend just pacing yourself and learning the event (set-up, transitions, etc) Then you can set some goals for PRs.

Congrats on getting out there and having a red-hot go.

2010-06-07 1:39 AM

User image

On your right
Great job man!

Take it nice and easy most of the time, and push when you feel like you can.  The first time I tried to go 3 miles, it took me 48 minutes on a treadmil.  Now I'm working on getting under 30 minutes, and training for a Half-Iron.  (I only started tri-life in March, 2009).
2010-06-07 9:28 AM

User image

Houston
So I did my first Triathlon yesterday.  The Tejas Tri in Sugarland, Texas. I was amazed at how many people freaked out in the water to the point they had to be taken out.  I admit I had to compose myself once as well, but it wasn't bad.  The bike was awesome, I felt really strong.  The run I was sucking wind... I shuffled most of it, and walked a LOT, but whatever, I did it.  Can't wait for the next one which is 9 weeks away.  Hopefully I don't need to walk during the run next time.  I think the breakdown was 15 minute swim, 40 minute bike, and 43 minute run.  Transitions were hilariously slow...

Thanks again for all the encouragement. This is quite a milestone for me and it was great to have a place I could go for added support.  Good luck to all of you and your goals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Might Need a Reality Check Rss Feed  

of 2