General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-08-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3052877

Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hi!  I am new to the site!  I just finished my first sprint tri yesterday and my main goal for next season is improving my swim!  I have a huge anxiety issue with OWS (that would be a lake for me).  I was able to overcome it and complete the 1/2 mile swim in yesterday's race.  But, I did not race it in any way, shape or form.  I would like to swim more competitively next time.  I am looking at getting a wetsuit for next year to help build my confidence.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

2010-08-30 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Not exactly new tris just a horrendous swimmer.  Like to join to learn how to breath better.
2010-08-30 4:12 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I am glad this forum has so many new members, and that you can all support each other as you improve your swimming.
I do want to try to keep track of who is actually using the Learn To Swim Program, so if you are using it, speak up!
Jessica
2010-08-30 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3072040

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-30 2:12 PM I am glad this forum has so many new members, and that you can all support each other as you improve your swimming.
I do want to try to keep track of who is actually using the Learn To Swim Program, so if you are using it, speak up!
Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Can this program be uploaded to my training calendar here on beginner tri? Is it in the training programs I can add?

Pamela
2010-08-31 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3071920

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
WendyK - 2010-08-30 3:18 PM Hi!  I am new to the site!  I just finished my first sprint tri yesterday and my main goal for next season is improving my swim!  I have a huge anxiety issue with OWS (that would be a lake for me).  I was able to overcome it and complete the 1/2 mile swim in yesterday's race.  But, I did not race it in any way, shape or form.  I would like to swim more competitively next time.  I am looking at getting a wetsuit for next year to help build my confidence.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Congrats on your first sprint triathlon!! You ROCK for overcoming you OWS anxiety!
Jessica
2010-08-31 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3063038

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Introduction: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Sarabi - 2010-08-25 10:35 AM Hi!  I'm very new to triathlete training!  I started doing this b/c I promised myself that when I got into my latter 30s that I would do this for fitness, mobility, and overall wellness.  I'm so glad that I did!

I've been conditioning for 2 months now - not really training, but just getting my body in a place where it could exert some energy to do endurance sports.  I hired a swim coach.  I have always been a casual swimmer - paddled around a bit, but never really mastered swimming.  I've taken lessons from different people over the years, and learned enough to maneuver around the pool, but i've never been truly comfortable in deep water.

Well, after 2 months, i'm swimming roughly a quarter mile.  I have a strong front crawl, but i'm still a respiratory challenged.  I find it difficult to get enough air Cry But, the more I run, the better I become cardiovascularly @ that.  Anyhoo, i'm on this forum just for swimming support!

I hope some of you have good tips on how to become a stronger swimmer, and how I can get that egg-beater kick down, so that I can tread water comfortably.  I tread okay, but it won't last for long b/c I'm an arm treader!!

Here's hoping for a completely new lifestyle!

Sarabi
Houston, TX

Hey there! How is your training coming along?
Jessica

2010-08-31 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-30 2:12 PM I am glad this forum has so many new members, and that you can all support each other as you improve your swimming.
Jessica
2010-08-31 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Jessica

So I was going to start TODAY! But just found out this morning my pool is closed for renovations

Bummer. Next tri is Sept 26th. I am going to do an ocean swim tonight.

Just did a Sprint on Sunday (8/29).  Field of approx 300 women. I was 199th on the swim, 50th on the bike, 70th on run. In my age group I was 3 of 20 on the bike, 5 of 20 on the run, 17 of 20 on the swim. (age 50 -54 ).

Need I say more? So, I am here, eager to improve.

Namaste,

Pamela Cool

Edited by sbtrichick 2010-08-31 1:02 PM
2010-08-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3073881

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sbtrichick - 2010-08-31 12:58 PM
Jessica

So I was going to start TODAY! But just found out this morning my pool is closed for renovations

Bummer. Next tri is Sept 26th. I am going to do an ocean swim tonight.

Just did a Sprint on Sunday (8/29).  Field of approx 300 women. I was 199th on the swim, 50th on the bike, 70th on run. In my age group I was 3 of 20 on the bike, 5 of 20 on the run, 17 of 20 on the swim. (age 50 -54 ).

Need I say more? So, I am here, eager to improve.

Namaste,

Pamela Cool

So in other words, you beat 100 other women out of the water despite having issues with OWS? Congrats!! You are conquering this challenge like nobody's business!!
Jessica
2010-09-02 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
There is a thread in Triathlon Talk right now about joining a Master's swim program. You can read it here.
Jessica
2010-09-02 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3072021

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
TeddieMao - 2010-08-30 2:03 PM Not exactly new tris just a horrendous swimmer.  Like to join to learn how to breath better.

What is the problem with your breathing now?

Most breathing problems stem from a stroke flaw, and from my experience, most of the time it's positionally related.

John

2010-09-03 11:29 AM

Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-30 5:12 PM I do want to try to keep track of who is actually using the Learn To Swim Program, so if you are using it, speak up!
Jessica

I've had a chance to look at the program and it's very intriguing...I think I will start this over the fall/winter.

My frst TAT (400m swim) is next Saturday and I haven't been training like I shuold so I'm just trying to play catch up now! But, I was able to get the 400m done in 7:45 last night...that's a pool so it's going to be faster than OWS, but I think if I can keep my OWS fears down I should be able to clock in at the 2:00-2:10 per 100m mark...wish me luck!
2010-09-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3080710

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
evey1984 - 2010-09-03 11:29 AM
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-30 5:12 PM I do want to try to keep track of who is actually using the Learn To Swim Program, so if you are using it, speak up!
Jessica

I've had a chance to look at the program and it's very intriguing...I think I will start this over the fall/winter.

My frst TAT (400m swim) is next Saturday and I haven't been training like I shuold so I'm just trying to play catch up now! But, I was able to get the 400m done in 7:45 last night...that's a pool so it's going to be faster than OWS, but I think if I can keep my OWS fears down I should be able to clock in at the 2:00-2:10 per 100m mark...wish me luck!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Jessica
2010-09-05 5:47 AM

Hi
I would like to join this group. My name is Jo and I am somewhat newbie to Tri's. I completed my first Tri in June and I am doing a local group tri this coming weekend. I would say my swim is my weekest part of the tri. I took personal lessons last winter and it seemed to help. I do have some questions though. First, how do I keep my legs together while swimming? I have tried the pull bouy and found it quite awkward. Second, how do I go about breathing on both sides? Currently I only breathe on my right.
2010-09-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3082586

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
dojorun01 - 2010-09-05 3:47 AM Hi
I would like to join this group. My name is Jo and I am somewhat newbie to Tri's. I completed my first Tri in June and I am doing a local group tri this coming weekend. I would say my swim is my weekest part of the tri. I took personal lessons last winter and it seemed to help. I do have some questions though. First, how do I keep my legs together while swimming? I have tried the pull bouy and found it quite awkward. Second, how do I go about breathing on both sides? Currently I only breathe on my right.

You do the same things to breathe on the left as you did for the right :p

Get a kickboard, hold it in your hands out in front of you, kick for propulsion, and use your left arm only to pull and breathe.

For the kicking, you just need to do dryland flutter kicks. Lots of them. Concentrate on keeping your legs close together. Do the same thing in the pool. I like to have beginners hold a kick board to their chest, and kick while on their back. That way you can see if your legs are splayed wide and you can see if your knees are leading the kick too much (They'll come out of the water first).

And, some of the wide legs may be due to balance issues, the tendency is to widen the kick to compensate for being off balance.

John
2010-09-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3074244

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

So in other words, you beat 100 other women out of the water despite having issues with OWS? Congrats!! You are conquering this challenge like nobody's business!!
Jessica[/QUOTE]

Ummmm..yeah ....I guess I didn't look at it that way Foot in mouth

Yesterday I did a trial run of the entire Carpinteria Triathlon course with some friends.

I had an AMAZING experience...I swam about 750 yards in the ocean and I relaxed and enjoyed it!

Now it was a picture perfect Southern CA sunny morning with the gentlest waves ever. I went with a swim coach who dates my friends, he gave me some great tips.  She was struggling..and I ...amazingly .... did great! 

The thing was..he made it fun. First we goofed around and got acclimated and warmed up. Then he put us both on the shore and said, "go!".  He swam beside us and gave us tips. Jarrett grew up in the ocean and it was like swimming with a human dolphin. Having him there made us feel safe.

To work on: I need to work on my sighting, a couple of times he was afraid I was trying to swim to Hawaii   I have no entry/exit. I am afraid to dive through a wave on the way out or body surf on the way in (he said the conditions were perfect to body surf in). 

I am glad that I have worked on breathing on both sides in the pool. Last two races the swim has paralleled the shore in opposite directions.  I can not swim facing the waves but luckily I am comfortable on both sides.

TOMORROW: Monday 9/6/10. I am going to officially start this swim program. My YMCA/pool has been closed for a week.

Oh yeah, I kicked butt on the bike and run. 

Will keep you posted.

Namaste,

Pamela Cool

2010-09-06 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hi all!

I just found this page.  By way of introduction, I'm a 44 year old newb.  DW and I are going down to the Y this afternoon to get memberships and I'm starting the couch-to-sprint plan on Wednesday.

Question:  What is the purpose of a pull-buoy?

P.S. - Thanks for the awesome quote trakker!  I love it!  Laughing

Edited by Panther 2010-09-06 8:54 AM
2010-09-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3063038

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Introduction: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Sarabi - 2010-08-25 8:35 AM Hi!  I'm very new to triathlete training! ... 

I've taken lessons from different people over the years, and learned enough to maneuver around the pool, but i've never been truly comfortable in deep water.

Well, after 2 months, i'm swimming roughly a quarter mile.  I have a strong front crawl, but i'm still a respiratory challenged.  I find it difficult to get enough air Cry Sarabi
Houston, TX

I'm in the same situation.  Currently, I am taking lessons, and my stroke is coming along nicely.  However, I find I need to breathe more than every 3rd stroke.  Once my heart rate goes up a little, I feel like I could take a breath on every other stroke.  I can swim 25m, stop, take 1-2 deep breaths and swim another 25.  By the time I hit 50m, I am pretty winded.  During my last lesson, I managed to swim 75 yds with my coach prodding me along, but that last 25 felt craptastic.  The sad part is once I get winded, I begin to tense up because there's the sensation that I need air now, now now!!! Once I tense up it seems like my form goes down the tubes.  My coach ensured me that it is normal for even experienced swimmers to have really bad laps, really good laps, and even some days where the entire workout is bad.  Further, she told me that it can take 5-6 weeks for changes to one's stroke to become second nature.  I'm only in my 2nd week after she made a huge change to my stroke, so I need to be patient.  I started swimming toward the end of July, and I am currently hitting 1000 meters during each swim session, but those 1000 are done 50  meters at a time, rest, 50, rest, and so on.  I'd like to begin connecting the dots and making those 75 meters sets, rest, eventually 100 meters, 200 m, etc.
2010-09-06 2:23 PM

I really like the program so far. Workouts are short enough to fit in without a big block of time, varied enough to not get bored, and I seem to be making progress.

Question:  I was traveling 9 days and did not have access to a pool. When I came back I just picked up where I left off, but it made me wonder what one is supposed to do when you miss a block of time in this type of progressive program ?

BTW I was on a bike trip (van supported) that went Sonoma->Napa->Alexander Valley->Russian River Valley->Coast and Route 1. Wow. Jealous of the California folks. Legs still sore but what a great place to ride!!!!

2010-09-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3083910

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

I did the first swim today from the Program, here are my observations:

1. 600 yards is short and sweet. Took me 24 mins with the rests between sets.
2. I swim really fast with a pull buoy and don't use my legs at all. Are you supposed to kick a little with the pull buoy?
3. Kicking with a kick board seems really slow and hard work! And maybe even a little boring
4. Doing it on my own it's hard to know what I am doing wrong/right. As a beginning swimmer, I have some concerns that I might develop bad habits but am such a newbie I wouldn't know what the bad habits are!

Namaste,

Pamela Cool

2010-09-06 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3083566

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Panther - 2010-09-06 8:53 AM Hi all!

I just found this page.  By way of introduction, I'm a 44 year old newb.  DW and I are going down to the Y this afternoon to get memberships and I'm starting the couch-to-sprint plan on Wednesday.

Question:  What is the purpose of a pull-buoy?

P.S. - Thanks for the awesome quote trakker!  I love it!  Laughing

Welcome, Panther! Very happy to have you here. Will you be using the "Learn To Swim" plan as well? To answer your question, a pull buoy is used to elevate your hips and let you feel how your body should be positioned in the water. Many people drop their hips and end up swimming "uphill", and keeping the pull buoy between your upper thighs can help you learn to keep your hips up.
Jessica

2010-09-06 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3082810

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sbtrichick - 2010-09-05 11:05 AM  

I had an AMAZING experience...I swam about 750 yards in the ocean and I relaxed and enjoyed it!

Music to my ears.
Jessica
2010-09-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3083910

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
trakker - 2010-09-06 2:23 PM

I really like the program so far. Workouts are short enough to fit in without a big block of time, varied enough to not get bored, and I seem to be making progress.

Question:  I was traveling 9 days and did not have access to a pool. When I came back I just picked up where I left off, but it made me wonder what one is supposed to do when you miss a block of time in this type of progressive program ?

BTW I was on a bike trip (van supported) that went Sonoma->Napa->Alexander Valley->Russian River Valley->Coast and Route 1. Wow. Jealous of the California folks. Legs still sore but what a great place to ride!!!!

Wow, that bike trip sounds so cool!
When you are following a training plan, you usually have a race at the end that you are preparing for. Depending on how much time you miss, you may have to reschedule the race, come back to training where you left off, or if you missed time but stayed very active you may be able to go up in volume 10% on the week you get back. Usually people know ahead of time that they will be missing time and adjust the training plan accordingly, either by repeating weeks and stretching out the program or adjusting the start date.
Jessica
2010-09-06 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3083943

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sbtrichick - 2010-09-06 2:56 PM

I did the first swim today from the Program, here are my observations:

1. 600 yards is short and sweet. Took me 24 mins with the rests between sets.
2. I swim really fast with a pull buoy and don't use my legs at all. Are you supposed to kick a little with the pull buoy?
3. Kicking with a kick board seems really slow and hard work! And maybe even a little boring
4. Doing it on my own it's hard to know what I am doing wrong/right. As a beginning swimmer, I have some concerns that I might develop bad habits but am such a newbie I wouldn't know what the bad habits are!

Namaste,

Pamela Cool

Hello Pamela! Congrats on continuing to take the initiative to improve your swim! When using a pull buoy, you should not be doing any kicking if you are using it for body position (placed as high up the thighs as you can). Later, you may want to play with using the pull buoy between your knees while kicking if you find your feet separating while you kick.
You are right...it is probably best to learn with a coach, as with any technical sport. But if that isn't an option, your goal should be to continue to spend time in the pool and develop a good feel for the water. Swimming a lot helps a lot!
Jessica
2010-09-06 10:22 PM

New user

Hi all. Just came out of Open heart surgery recovery, and have the okay to swim again. I was registered for my first TRI in Aug, but never made it- failed stress test with no sympoms and heart damage. My training partner did race and she did well. I was training since Oct on my own, use to be a lifegaurd, but not swam competitively for 25years. Now married and with a daughter and job-44. finally returning to serious training and  sport. Struggling with proper training and confidence again. Want to start training for next year and want some direction on my swim technique. Where can I gt visuals fo a good stroke, which stroke is best, what about back stroke...etc. want group to train with or chat and keep me honest...focussed. Signed ....long way back....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16