West Lafayette, Indiana
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 18m 36s
Overall Rank = 226/333
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/33
Pre-race routine:

Shower, drove to race site. Plenty of parking, nice park location.
Event warmup:

Walking, jogging, and stretching, quite a bit more than I normally do.
Run
  • 2h 18m 36s
  • 13.16 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Wonderful run!! Had a great time! This is my idea of a perfect run - even pavement, great atmosphere, perfect weather, lots of fun. Had a few side-stitches between miles 4 and 5, and again between miles 9 and 11. Right foot started hurting around mile 10 but all in all it was a great run, and most importantly I ran the whole time (my biggest goal!!!).

Passed quite a few folks, including guys (sorry guys) ;) Chatted with runners along the way. I love the cheering section from folks on the sidewalk when we ran through downtown.

I picked up the pace quite a bit at the last 1/2 mile and all-out sprinted to the finish line from about 1/10 mile away. My favorite was when I crossed the finish line, they announced my name and hometown, followed by a "Hot Damn, that girl is fast!!" I smiled so big. :)
What would you do differently?:

I probably had a little left in the tank, but I paced well, ran the whole way, beat my projected 2:30 - a winner in my book!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched plenty, nibbled on a post-race cookie (they had a variety of snacks: pizza, bagels, fruit, peanut butter, cream cheese, PB cookies)

They passed out half-gallons of ice-cold milk!! Which I consumed graciously :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only comment I would have is try to organize the runners a little better based on time. I lined up towards the back and passed a LOT of folks, particularly walkers. The first 1/4 mile was a little bit of elbow-to-elbow and trying to gain position, but the pack spread out after that. Otherwise, more training for me is the only limiter!!

Event comments:

For all the bad hype this race got, I thought it was wonderfully organized, had excellent support, and great post-race activites and goodies. The tech shirt was nice and I got a coupon for free Minute rice product when I picked up my packet (how clever!)

I would recommend this race to anyone. Really nice job. Combined a good crowd with a quaint small-town feel with a great family atmosphere. I wasn't expecting much, but it really impressed me. Nice work!

Last updated: 2010-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:36 | 13.16 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/333
Performance: Good
Course: Closed, county roads, beautiful farmland and scenic small Indiana town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %-2lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-24 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Home of Purdue Half Marathon

2010-10-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3169240

User image

Subject: RE: Home of Purdue Half Marathon
Great job beating your goal time! I'm so glad to hear the race itself was fun and organized. Maybe it will help put some of the bad feelings to rest so they can put on a successful race next year. Congratulations on a great run!
2010-10-25 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3169240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Home of Purdue Half Marathon
Congrats on an excellent race! Glad it all turned to be great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Home of Purdue Half Marathon Rss Feed