World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 46m 4s
Overall Rank = 729/1561
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/88
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual ... my race was starting at 7:20 so I got up at 3:45, ate a bagel with peanut butter and jelly and a banana. I was able to eat everything super fast without any problems and with some time to spare, so I jumped back into bed and laid there for another 30 minutes. I tried to visualize what exactly I am going to do, how I am going to move through the transitions, and attack the course ... :) ... I am not gonna lie, I was a bit nervous! The ocean was NOT my friend the two days prior to the race and I was NOT a fan! This was a race of a lot of FIRSTS!

First destination race, first ocean swim, first 70.3 in the heat (my 2 previous races were in the cold and rain), first IM like transition, first time racing with tri shoes and with that comes hoppin of the bike :), and the list goes on ...
Event warmup:

I had to walk to the start line which was about .75 miles from where we stayed. I let Bri sleep in but I turned her cell on in case I needed to get a hold of her. My transition bags were set up from the day before, and my bike was also racked so the only thing I had to worry about on race morning was my nutrition. I got everything ready the night before, so all I had to do in the am is eat, throw everything in my bag and go.

I packed my gu's, gatorade to drink an hour before the race etc., and start walking. Along the way, I meet up with a couple from NZ, and we started chatting. As we are approaching the transition area, I asked the guy if he knew where the aid stations will be on the bike course ... as he is telling me, I realized that i FORGOT my drinks for my bike ... WTF! Grrrrrrrrrr ... good thing I turned Bri's cellphone on ... :) I called her, woke her up, and she saved the day! Phew! She met up with me good 15 min before the transition area was closing :).

In the mean time, I took care of everything else. Amongst these things, I got my bike tires pumped up. Yup - I didn't have to do it - they had peeps doing it for us! How cool ... I just had to tell them what pressure to pump them up for! They even had crack pipes! :) ... the transition definitely felt and looked like the one I watched online in Kona last month! Lots of super fit folks walking around with their game face on and we were all treated like pro's! Camera's and bright lights everywhere! I walked through the transition one last time to make sure I knew where I was going to come out of the changing tent, to my bike and out on the bike course ... then it was time to put the wetsuit on!

I was 82/570 females including pro's (top 14%) , and 62/550 not including pro's (top 11%)
Swim
  • 37m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race was a lot of firsts for me! Among one of those firsts was the OCEAN swim! I have NEVER swam in the ocean before not counting the 2 quick swims I had the day, and 2 days before the race. My first experience wasn't that great so to say I was a bit nervous was an understatement! I knew I worked my butt off in the pool, and I was ready to swim but I was still very nervous. My 2 practice swims were very rough going out ( I compare it to a rollercoaster ride), and fairly smooth and fast coming back cuz of the current! I was hoping for at least that on race morning, but guess what - that would be too easy! :)

My wave went off at 7:20, which was about 30+ minutes after the pro waves. We finally lined up and got to warm up after the wave in front of us went in. We had 5 min between waves. Swam few yards out, and back and got ready for the "run in" start! Another first! :) I placed myself in the 2nd row and on the inside closest to the buoys. When the horn went off, I ran in along with everyone else. Hopped over the first few rollers, and then jumped in! The start actually wasn't all that bad, I didn't get beat up like I usually do, and I was able to catch some fast feet for a little bit. It seemed like we were all together for a looooong time, so I figured I was going somewhat fast ... ha! As we got out there, the roller-coaster ride began! Waves started to get bigger, wind was blowing sideways, making us swim against a nice current which kept pushing all of us to the inside of the course ... like way inside! There were many times when you couldn't even see the buoys, and I am not gonna lie, it felt like the turn buoy was NEVER gonna show up. I kept moving along, and now here it comes! I need to take a breath, and as soon as I try to do that, this gigantic wave comes crashing into me! I got bitch slapped and I swallowed what felt like a gallon of salt water! Puke! I made a note to self, let's try NOT doing that again! :)

I finally made it to the turn buoy, and it was probably only about 200 yards over before we had to head back. Well guess what ... not only did I already have issues swimming straight, I looked up (good thing I did when I did) and there is a jet ski "parked" right in front me rescuing someone that decided to call it quits! Crash avoided - phew!

Now it was time to head back but you guessed it! The current wasn't very favorable. Actually it wasn't favorable at all! It kept pushing us way to the inside of the course again. On top of the current this was about the time when the sun kept rising, and was right in our faces so it made it pretty close to impossible to see any buoys! This was also about the time when the fasties from the M35-39 wave that started behind us started to go by, so I "tried" - key word "tried" catching some draft behind them. It didn't last long, but it couldn't hurt!

Finally I was able to see the swim exit! At this point, I drank about 3 glasses of salt water, and I was so ready to get the hell out of there. My hand finally touched the sand, and I was off, super psyched to be out of that water in one piece, and with a burning throat!

I started running (we had to run across the entire beach in a soft sand). I finally spotted the wetsuit strippers, plopped my ass on the ground and let them do their thing, but guess what! Even at the World Championships they couldn't get the damn suit over my chip fast enough! It got stuck again, and the chick was "gently" trying to pull my wetsuit over it! That's when I lost it, and instead of thanking her, I yelled, just pull on it! Pull on it HARD! Phew! This is a race people, and I have some serious catching up to do!

I was hoping to swim 35 minutes, so I am not too happy with my swim, but I think it could have been way worse due to the conditions.

53/88 in my division, 234/570 overall female
What would you do differently?:

Lot's of things! :)

Swim faster, sight better, have more ocean swims under my belt, NOT drink a gallon of salt water, draft better and I may just have to start practicing getting my wetsuit off cuz I am sick of the thing getting stuck on my ankles when the wetsuit strippers do it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

This was a loooooooooooooong transition and another one of the FIRSTS! :) We had to pack a bike transition bag, and a run transition bag and drop them off the night before instead of setting up your transition next to your bike. We couldn't leave anything on the bike unless it was attached so I just ended up putting it all in my transition bag.

As I ran through the beach and with a wetsuit in my hand, volunteer handed me my bike bag so I didn't lose anytime looking for it. I ran into the tent, put my watch/sunglasses/helmet on and I grabbed my shoes. I already had my race belt on, and nutrition in my shirt pockets. I ran to my bike with my shoes in my hand, put them on by my bike and then continued to the mounting line. There were still bikes left on the racks but not that many ... damn swim - I will get you! Wait till next year! :) ... now it was time to start picking these girls off!

17/88 in my division, 72/570 overall female

Now that I have tri shoes, I should practice how to jump on my bike with shoes clipped in. That would have saved some time for me, but other than that, I moved through the transition pretty fast. We sure had to cover a lot of ground in this one.
Bike
  • 2h 25m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh where to begin. I knew going into the race, that this was going to be a draft fest, and I wasn't going to let that affect me. I knew bunch of people going into this race, blatantly planning on drafting. Drafting was their strategy on the bike! Before I get into the details, I am pretty proud of myself for staying as calm as I did. I did lose it a bit the first time I almost got knocked off my bike, but I mean WTF! Who wouldn't! If you want to draft, DRAFT! Knock yourself out! Good for you! You can be proud of your smokin bike split that you will NEVER be able to repeat on your own! BUT please, try keeping some sort of a distance between yourself and the people that are riding legal! These drafters are not only cheaters but also RUDE flippin cheaters! I am pretty sure we brushed shoulders as they went by more than once - now that's while i am going anywhere from 22 to 24 mph and they are going good 2+ mph faster ... can you say DANGEROUS? I can generate enough sweat on my own, I don't need yours! Once the pack (was anywhere from 8 to 20, 30 people) went by, they would also cut you off .. wipe their sweat on you and then cut you off! Ugh! Stay in your pack, and in your lane, let us honest competitors race our own race - don't make us slow down a.k.a slam on the brakes while you keep picking up speed! I was lucky enough, I didn't end up splattered on the road a few times when these packs went by. These packs really don't care about anything but free speed! Doesn't matter if there is a turn ( ... and for those that did the race, you all know most of these turns were 90 degree very tight turns ... Now enough about cheaters!

I am very proud to say, I raced my own race, draft free race! I tried to stick to the power numbers that coach Jorge gave me, but I found it a bit difficult. I passed a lot of people, I passed a lot of chicks in my age group, only for some of them get in these packs and go right by me 10 minutes later. They however could never stay with the packs, so they would get dropped, and I would pick them off again and again. As a result of a lot of these packs, I found myself either having to back off to let them go by, and then speed up which meant spiking my power way too many times, and it was near impossible to ride consistently at my goal wattage.

The 1st 10 miles through town, my legs felt like crap! My legs usually feel great, but this time, my quads, and glutes were not happy! Oh oh ... I pushed through it, but my legs really didn't feel that great the whole 1st half of the race. The fact I kept spiking my power higher than I wanted to way too many times really didn't help, but it was either that or back off and letting people pass me a.k.a cruising at 130 watts! No, no, and NO ... I DON'T get passed on the bike and that's NOT what I came here to do. I kept moving along, getting my nutrition/fluids in. I went through bottle of heed, bottle of perform, 2 bottles of water and 3 gels.

Finally at the half way point, I got into a better rhythm and actually found myself alone for a good stretch which always helps. One "funny" thing was that the pack of about 30 that passed me a while back was now in the one and only Penalty tent that I saw on the course (they need to have one at every mile). They were all released as I was going by, and no joke, they formed back up into their pack and went on AGAIN! Cheaters NEVER learn! Once a cheater, ALWAYS a cheater!

The wind was in our face what felt like all the time, but I love my aero position and I was cutting right through it one mile at a time. Now you know that around mile 30, I always have to PP ... and sure enough, I had to go again! This time there are barely any downhills, which means trouble. I'll make the long story short, I was able to go eventually but it wasn't EZ. I honestly was hoping that someone was going to be behind me when I had to go, but I actually found myself fairly alone for a lot of the way back except for this one guy who kept trying to pass me, and then would always cut me off and slow down! WTF! If you are gonna pass me, please keep on going! I finally had enough, spiked me power just one more time, and left him in the dust.

Besides the cheaters, the ride was pretty uneventful. I was riding my bike on the highway and going faster than all the cars! Cool! :) We were causing quite the traffic jam!

The last few miles were through the town again (railroad tracks and "small" bumps) that quite frankly almost ejected both of my water bottles, back up the bridge and back into town.

I pushed down the hill, took me feet out of the shoes, and did an awesome flying dismount! Another FIRST! Are you counting? This is #3! :) I handed my bike off to a volunteer and ran through the transition, picked up my run bag and into the tent I went. I made a note to self - my legs felt like shit or bricks ... damn! After Timberman I got off the bike and my legs felt awesome, ready to run ... NOT this time!

However, if someone told me I will be able to average over 23 mph over 56 miles on any course, I would laugh at them!

12/88 in my division, 56/570 overall female

I wish I could ride the course without the cheaters, brake slamming, and power spikes. I bet I could have gone at least another minute faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Found my transition bag quickly since I drew all over it! :) It was sticking out! :) Ran into the tent took my helmet off got my socks/shoes on, took a sip a water and ran out of there with my legs still feeling like jello! Crap!

8/88 in my division, 14/570 overall female

The only thing that would save me time was if I ran without socks. Other than that this transition was pretty smooth.
Run
  • 1h 38m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the plan, which was to start out slower, speed up throughout and finish strong! As I mentioned in my 2nd transition, my legs felt like SHIT! Heavy, rubbery, like SHIT! I honestly am not sure my legs ever felt like this getting off the bike. My feet were numb too, but I am not sure why because I didn't think they were numb on the bike and that lasted for good 3 miles. That was the least of my problems. The fun part was about to begin. I felt like I was shuffling along, and every time I looked down at my watch I saw a sub 7 pace! Mmmmm .... yup - way too fast! I honestly just felt like I wasn't moving, but despite that feeling I shuffled through the 1st mile in 6:59, so way too fast! The 2nd mile was up the bridge so I slowed down to 7:30 which was right on track. Now mile 3, the real FUN began. My stomach was starting to be mad at me, and fairly soon it was all I could think about. About mile 3.5 I saw 2 PP. Okay - I may have to make a pit stop even though I really didn't want to. At this time, the decision was made for me as 2 chicks jetted for the PP right in front of me and I wasn't going to wait. I made a deal with myself. I was going to stop at the next PP. One minor problem was that the 2 PP I just passed were the ONLY PP on the entire course! At this time I did not know that. Before I made it to the bridge (the back side of it now), I knew I had to take in a gel, but I was afraid of what my stomach was going to think about that. Since I figured there will be more PP along the way, I did it. I did get a nice boost of energy, which lasted for about 2 miles, to about the halfway point. It was there, I realized the 2 PP I saw earlier were the only 2 PP on the entire course, and I had good 3.5 miles to go ... I went back up that sunny bride 2nd time around and I sort of forgot about my stomach ... it was pretty hot out, and another FIRST for me (#4) - I never raced a 70.3 in the heat! I would take water, and two sponges at ever stop, one went right in my bra and stayed there until the next aid station, and the other went on the back of my neck and my forehead hence the sunburn on my forehead later ...

Now I am about 2 miles away from the PP, and my stomach woke up again, and I knew I had to stop. I actually started to look for some sort of bushes along the way cuz I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Now the suspense builds! There were not any bushes, and nowhere to go ... SHIT! Literally ... I finally saw the PP and started to run towards when I see another chick do the same ... ! NOT again! I don't have another 3 miles in me! I ran for the PP so fast, I made it in, and out VERY fast. I didn't time myself, but it wasn't too long before I was out of there again feeling MUCH MUCH MUCH better! ... I didn't waste anytime, took in another gel, and picked it up on the way back ... I think I averaged 7:20s or faster for the last 3 miles ...

24/88 in my division, 78/570 overall female

I wish I didn't have to stop and my stomach wasn't an issue. (My bathroom break was 1:08 seconds - I can tell from my garmin!) SHIT! I still PR'ed on the run by 2:31 so that's great, and I am psyched! I know if it wasn't for my stomach issues, I could have gone faster! Considering my legs felt like shit for good 3 miles, I am looking forward to the next race and what I can do on the run! 1:35 and 1:30 I am coming for you :)

Post race
Warm down:

Took some pics, met up with Bri - my personal photographer and number 1 supporter, changed into some dry clothes, drank my recovery drink and walked around! The atmosphere was truly amazing, and like no other race I have ever done. I got lots of support from all you guys, whether it was through BT, FB, texts, phone calls etc. and for that I thank you! It really means a lot to me that you all care so much! My parents even saw me on the run, and crossing the finish line online ... and they are in Czech! They taped the video screen and have watched it many times since! Very cool!

I was 82/570 females including pro's (top 14%) , and 62/550 not including pro's (top 11%)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Would be nice to have a calm ocean, no cheaters, and no stomach issues, but overall I really can't complain. I PRed by almost 9 minutes and I am looking forward to what next season will bring!

Event comments:

It was a great race! They definitely made us ALL feel very special, and it was like no other race I have done before. I wish the drafting on the bike wasn't such a big part of this race, but that should all change with the race being moved to Vegas.

I have trained hard for this race and all the hard work definitely paid off. I have been working with coach Jorge (JorgeM) from PBM Coaching for 4 months now and I know this is just the beginning. Next year will be a fun one!!! Buckle up! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/88
Overall: 0/1561
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: About half mile out - 200 yards over - and half mile back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:25:08 | 56 miles | 23.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/88
Performance: Good
My normalized power was 177 (173 at Timberman), but still should have been higher. I was shooting for 180-185 ...
Wind: Strong
Course: First 10 miles included the causeway bridge a.k.a the only "hill" on the course, lots of turns (90 degree turns), rail road tracks, very narrow lane for us bikers (cars had the rest of the road), then it was the highway (1 lane for us and the rest for cards again) and then the last 10 or so miles back into town again ... definitely some shady parts ... flat most of the way, with a couple sections with a slight incline (one on the way back on the highway, and one over the 2nd bridge on the way back), and then back through the town over the causeway bridge again ... oh and lots of U turns ... i think 3 ... those SUCK!!!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:38:35 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/88
Course: 2 loops - Up and down over the Causeway bridge 2 times
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-19 1:36 PM

User image

Boston
Subject: Ironman World Championships 70.3

2010-11-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3218576

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman World Championships 70.3
Congrats on a big pr despite GI troubles and a cranky ocean!! 
2010-11-20 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
awesome race...
2010-11-21 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Enjoyable read Jana!  I felt like I was there with you.  You worked so hard for this one!  Congrats!
2010-11-21 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Jana is so fast that when Kenyans tell their kids a folktale, they call it The Tortoise and the Jana. She's so hardcore that the punk band, Black Flag, decided to reunite just to record an album called, Jana. Congrats on a great race and an amazing season!
2010-11-22 10:10 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Solid performance czech chick and best of all, awesome result with a clean race. I have the power file to prove it!
Next year is going to be exciting, get ready for fun training!

2010-11-23 12:04 PM

User image

New user

12 minutes off the podium - solid.  That was a great race recap too.  I knew that drafting was an issue at Clearwater, but I didn't realize it was that blatant.  IM seriously needs to fix that.  I'm back in the saddle and working hard on getting up to speed in the hopes of putting some miles in with you again next season.  Nice job CC.
2010-12-07 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Congrats on an awesome effort Jana and that was a great RR.  That was an interesting swim you had!  Can't imagine that big mouthful of water helped you out too much and I'm sure some more practice in the ocean will help.  What an awesome bike split!  I can't imagine how frustrating the bike must have been with all that drafting.  I get pissed when I see one guy drafting, never mind a huge pack!  The bottom line is you raced an honest race and that's all you can do.  Sorry to hear you had some stomach issues on the run.  It sounds to me like you may have taken in too much, but maybe not.  I'm pretty surprised they only had 2 PP out there too.  Congrats on an outstanding year.  I can't wait to see how you do next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman World Championships 70.3 Rss Feed