General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brett Sutton interview on IM Talk podcast.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3249712

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Brett Sutton interview on IM Talk podcast..
tjfry
Posted 2010-12-16 2:49 PM (#3251400 - in reply to #3249712)
Quote Reply

To GoFaster's swim comments.....

I certainly agree that swimming is very technical, but my 20,000 per week comment wasn't a joke. I think many on this site (and in this sport for that matter) have analysis paralysis when it comes to swimming, especially when we get into discussions and the smallest of issues. I know that you think that you are engraining bad habits by swimming without the perfect stroke, but volume will make you more efficient all by itself. Not a little more volume, but A LOT MORE VOLUME.  Doing that volume will give you a better understanding of your movements and position (us swimmers call that "feel for the water"). So when you do need to change your pull a little, you know exactly what to do and how to do it. Club swim programs around the country do about 1/3 the technique work with the kids that triathletes do, and yet the 8 year old girl can whip most triathletes in a 100 free. The volume by itself creates efficiencies.

very well put.  As a collegiate swimmer in a past life.  Most triathletes just go play around in the pool for a little bit and then expect drastic improvements.  In order to have significant improvements triathletes need to train harder and more.

As a frequent reader of these forums.  I think we all (me included) are looking for a magic pill.  So many posters, including the OP continue to stress that the way to really improve is just putting the work in.  Time and effort.

But it is still fun to dream about a magic pill Cool

2010-12-16 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3251400

User image

Elite
Ontario
tjfry - 2010-12-16 3:49 PM

I certainly noticed that everytime he gave an example to prove his point, he used an absolute ringer. Slower cadence..when I slowed down Chrissie's.... Swimming technique...I got (insert national level swimmer and triathlete) to just scrap the technique and get after it.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but its sorta like he's taken a proved entity and showing that the entity is proven.

I certainly agree that swimming is very technical, but my 20,000 per week comment wasn't a joke. I think many on this site (and in this sport for that matter) have analysis paralysis when it comes to swimming, especially when we get into discussions and the smallest of issues. I know that you think that you are engraining bad habits by swimming without the perfect stroke, but volume will make you more efficient all by itself. Not a little more volume, but A LOT MORE VOLUME.  Doing that volume will give you a better understanding of your movements and position (us swimmers call that "feel for the water"). So when you do need to change your pull a little, you know exactly what to do and how to do it. Club swim programs around the country do about 1/3 the technique work with the kids that triathletes do, and yet the 8 year old girl can whip most triathletes in a 100 free. The volume by itself creates efficiencies.

Using my golf analogy, If I get swing help and then only practice the drills for a while, take a few swings and head home, I won't improve very fast. If, however, I hit 1,000 balls a day for a few weeks and then get some pointers, I will be better at making needed adjustments and better at golf.

I see how much you are swimming, and I'm telling you, if you up your yardage 4 fold for 2 weeks, you will see a difference.

I get where you're coming from, but I also used to golf, and that's where I got my analogy from.  Go to any driving range, or for that matter any swimming pool, and look at your average hacker.  People golf (and swim) by feel - which in many cases is not a good thing.  If I have a bad golf swing and use it to knock 30,000 balls around the range for a month, then I've just engrained those bad habits.  However, if someone tells me to change my grip and just focus on that for a week, and then a week later tells me to adjust my stance, etc.  then I'm engraining something else.  I may still have a terrible slice, but I'm on my way to changing the swing.

So that's how I look at swimming.  I'm the hacker that got in the pool and went, and now I'm trying to undo some of my bad habits (I won't plug my youtube video for you to watch).  I completely agree that more volume is going to reap huge benefits, I used to spend hours at the range and my handicap showed that it paid off, but I also worked on the details every single time I was at the range.  Drills, full swing, drills, full swing.  I do agree, that once my swing got good, I had a "feel" for it.  I have to be realistic about swimming and how much time I can commit.

By the way, I'd love to quadrulpe my swim volume, but at 24,000 yards last month I thought I was pushing my time barriers as it was.  It takes a while when you swim like me...
2010-12-16 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
"It's not my fault everyone is doing it the wrong way."

BBBBWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Best line of 2010.

I love him.
2010-12-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3251446

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
GoFaster - 2010-12-16 3:16 PM
tjfry - 2010-12-16 3:49 PM

I certainly noticed that everytime he gave an example to prove his point, he used an absolute ringer. Slower cadence..when I slowed down Chrissie's.... Swimming technique...I got (insert national level swimmer and triathlete) to just scrap the technique and get after it.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but its sorta like he's taken a proved entity and showing that the entity is proven.

Using my golf analogy, If I get swing help and then only practice the drills for a while, take a few swings and head home, I won't improve very fast. If, however, I hit 1,000 balls a day for a few weeks and then get some pointers, I will be better at making needed adjustments and better at golf.

I see how much you are swimming, and I'm telling you, if you up your yardage 4 fold for 2 weeks, you will see a difference.

I get where you're coming from, but I also used to golf, and that's where I got my analogy from.  Go to any driving range, or for that matter any swimming pool, and look at your average hacker.  People golf (and swim) by feel - which in many cases is not a good thing.  If I have a bad golf swing and use it to knock 30,000 balls around the range for a month, then I've just engrained those bad habits.  However, if someone tells me to change my grip and just focus on that for a week, and then a week later tells me to adjust my stance, etc.  then I'm engraining something else.  I may still have a terrible slice, but I'm on my way to changing the swing.

So that's how I look at swimming.  I'm the hacker that got in the pool and went, and now I'm trying to undo some of my bad habits (I won't plug my youtube video for you to watch).  I completely agree that more volume is going to reap huge benefits, I used to spend hours at the range and my handicap showed that it paid off, but I also worked on the details every single time I was at the range.  Drills, full swing, drills, full swing.  I do agree, that once my swing got good, I had a "feel" for it.  I have to be realistic about swimming and how much time I can commit.

By the way, I'd love to quadrulpe my swim volume, but at 24,000 yards last month I thought I was pushing my time barriers as it was.  It takes a while when you swim like me...

I certainly not trying to imply that you should discard techique, but back to your golf analogy, if you would just work on 1 or 2 things while swimming 3500 in a workout and do that workout 4 times a week, you'll be light years ahead of working a bunch of things for 1500. That massive repitition is critical, not massive drills. And I certainly know time is an issue for sure. I couldn't take my own advice right now..
2010-12-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3251443

User image

Runner
peteweb55403 - 2010-12-16 4:13 PM

As a frequent reader of these forums.  I think we all (me included) are looking for a magic pill.  So many posters, including the OP continue to stress that the way to really improve is just putting the work in.  Time and effort.

They are called "Newtons" or "salt tabs" apparently.
2010-12-16 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Sutton comes off to me as being in the DTJD camp (Don't think, Just Do)

This was also posted on the other forum and the topic of bike cadence came up. How Sutton try's to find the best cadence for the specific athlete and maybe that athlete pedals best at 75-80rpms. Then someone posts with all this scientific research and wattages and physiology reports on efficiency...blah blah blah.....that really was the perfect example of what Sutton was talking about.

Rather than doing what's best for a him/herself, this person is ready to base the cadence that they ride at on some scientific report and then show it to others on a forum as the reason why we should all be pedaling at 100rpms. No matter how bad we want the cookie cutter plan, it just doesn't work that way. That's really all he is saying.

We should be using the science and the studies to help us better understand training as a whole but never forget that humans are different in many ways.

2010-12-16 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3251217

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
joker70 - 2010-12-16 3:00 PM

I like how he says that Triathlon is an aerobic sport (especially IM) and doesn't think you should be doing 4+ anaerobic workouts a week.

Did he actually say that?

Also, I can't say that I know any triathlete who does 4+ or even 1 anaerobic workout a week.

Shane
2010-12-16 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3251500

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Fastyellow - 2010-12-16 6:14 PM 

maybe that athlete pedals best at 75-80rpms

why we should all be pedaling at 100rpms

I don't think I've seen a single study that indicates that everyone should be pedalling at 100rpm; in fact, most of the studies that I am familiar with indicate that within reason, athletes tend to best served using a self selected cadecne.

Further, the studies that I have read that have looked at different cadences would indicate that metabolically, cadences of 80 and 100rpm are more alike than they are different.

Shane
2010-12-17 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3250614

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
docswim24 - 2010-12-16 6:30 AM

bryancd - 2010-12-15 7:14 PM

I have been listening to this show since 2006 and spent 2 weeks in New Zealand, so I understand Kiwi.

I think the best takeaway for an AG'er listening is that sometimes, don't listen to all the noise and just go do the work. I don't count pedal turns or distance per stroke and I don't give a rats butt what part of my foot touches the ground first, I just train everyday, 365.

Very well said. The only thing I would add is you train hard.

Want to get fast at triathlon - be consistent and train hard. Run often, bike hard and swim hard with the proper technique.

Dont forget the part about choosing your parents well.
2010-12-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3252385

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hey, it's not my fault some people make swimming as complicated as landing on the Moon.
2010-12-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3251459

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
tjfry - 2010-12-16 2:26 PM

I certainly not trying to imply that you should discard techique, but back to your golf analogy, if you would just work on 1 or 2 things while swimming 3500 in a workout and do that workout 4 times a week, you'll be light years ahead of working a bunch of things for 1500. That massive repitition is critical, not massive drills. And I certainly know time is an issue for sure. I couldn't take my own advice right now..

I agree with this, with the addition that working on 1 or 2 things while swimming 1500 in a workout will get you way ahead of working on "a bunch of things" for 1500, whether it's once a week or six times a week. Keeping an apples to apples comparison in swim volume, coning down your focus to no more than 2-3 things to work on per session is going to work much better than trying to think of 3 things simultaneously or 9 or 12 things in a single workout. You have to keep in mind the most effective way to improve given your time limitations, and improving technique requires both mental focus AND repetition.

2010-12-18 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3251342

Veteran
I for one like the hell out of Brett Sutton! He has proven he can take athletes and make them winners and has taken many newer or less accomplished athletes and made them winners or much better than what they were. In about 20 minutes he knocked down about every sacred cow in triathlon, which I totally agree with most everything he said. I for one get very tired of all the "pseudo science" and technology that gets bantered around on here and in the tri world. It amazes me the crap people worry about instead of just worrying about going out each day and putting one foot in front of the other, biking and swimming when its cold outside, etc. That is what will really makes you better!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brett Sutton interview on IM Talk podcast.. Rss Feed  

of 2