BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-12-22 4:00 PM

User image

Subject: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: Dream Chaser / Bobby

STORY:  I believe in an ultra-healthy lifestyle.  I used to have many bad addictions and with the event of children, I decided to turn my life entirely around.  I put down my addictions and picked up a pair of running shoes.  I ran my first marathon, NYC, in 2007 and raced my first Sprint Triathlon in April of 2008.  Since I've completed 9 half marathons, 5 marathons, 7 half Ironman's, and a dozen Olympic and Sprint distance races. 

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married with two very active children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting a 30-week training plan on December 27th to prepare for Ironman USA. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009 I qualified to run the Boston Marathon, completed two half Ironman's, and half a dozen smaller triathlons and road races.

2011 RACES:   Rev3 Quassy 70.3 and Ironman USA - Lake Placid, NY. 

WEIGHTLOSS: In a prior life I weighed somewhere around 220 pounds.  In June of 2008 I was down to 165 lbs.  I am currently 1/10th of a pound under 180 and I am motivated to get back down into the 160's this season! 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I think a postive attitude is the most important factor in achieving success in triathlon.  After three seasons of triathlon, including 7 Half Ironman's, I have made dozens and dozens of mistakes and the key was figuring out how to learn from those mistakes and not to make them again!  When I first signed onto the Beginner Triathlete website, I joined a Mentor group, and many of the friends I made - I am still friends with today!  So I would love the opportunity to give back. 

I am a big believer in setting goals that I believe are attainable based on my personal potential, and relentlessly pursuing those goals until they are captured.  It is such an awesome feeling of accomplishment!  And hence the reason I chose my username.   I would request that all mentee's set at least one goal, then we'll devise a road map on how to get there, and we'll all inspire one another along the journey to accomplishing that goal!  The goals can be as simple as lose 10 pounds, finish first Sprint Triathlon, run a 5k sub 30 or they can be as big as dropping 30 pounds or finishing an Ironman.   

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-01-10 8:10 AM

2010-12-22 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group

Edit:

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009 2010 I qualified to run the Boston Marathon, completed two half Ironman's, and half a dozen smaller triathlons and road races.

2011-01-02 5:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-03 9:37 AM

New user

San Juan Capistrano
Love your heart and soul of your journey. 
2011-01-06 9:05 AM

Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - Open

Hi everyone.  My group has gone live.  If you want to join, please state your goal.  Again, it can be a very simple modest one - or you can go big time baby!!  It can be one, or many.  I'll start.  Here are mine:

Triathlon Goals for 2011:  Train smart and consistent while staying injury-free.  Race less.  Get weight back to 166 lbs by June.  Stop eating junk food.  Trust and follow my Ironman training plan.  Become an Ironman!  

2011-01-06 10:07 AM

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - OPEN

I read your mentor profile and have been waiting for it to go live.  I'd like to join the group.

Name: Kimmax / Marcia

Story:
Never really been athletic although have always enjoyed swimming and cycling.  Saw some pics of people doing the Malibu Sprint triathlon and thought "I might be able to do that!".  Started training (I didn't even run at the time!) for my first mini sprint in 2008 and did 3 that year - addicted!  The following year I worked up to doing the sprint distance and last summer I completed my first oly.  I think the tally is 4 mini's, 4 sprints and 1 oly.  I've run 1 half mary.

Family Status: Happily married with one 8 year daughter. Hubby is currently working on a contract in Germany which has impacted my workout schedule quite significantly.  He'll be back beginning of March.  I can find the time to use my trainer and squeeze in some resistance training but I'm limited with how to get out and run/swim until he's back.

2011 Goals: I seem to be able to hold my own on the swim and run but I'm SOOOOO slow on the bike.  I have decided to focus on cycling this year with the goal of completing a century ride in June - I'm Canadian but I want to do 100 miles vs. 100km.  I also want to give the oly another try and see if I've improved (how could I not??? I was REALLY slow last year). 
Weight Loss:? I'd like to tone up.  At least 5 pounds but also get some of my muscle back.  I'm soft now. I've started focussing more on eating clean and hope to get to the gym to incorporate resistance training back in to my life.

Current Training:  I have uploaded the bike portion of a beginner ironman plan to start on January 22.  I figure that's 112 miles which should prepare me.  I'm not sure if this is the right approach so hoping someone can mentor me on this.  I was thinking of following a 1/2 iron plan for my oly in August (starting in March) so that I am more than prepared.  Maybe it was an off day but I had no energy for any of the 3 legs in last year's oly.

I liked what you wrote in your profile and so looking forward to kicking this year off!

2011-01-06 10:25 AM

Hi Marcia.  Welcome   Great goals!  Following the bike portion of a beginner Ironman plan will certainly have you ready for a 100-mile Century Ride.  I don't know if that is the most effective and efficient way to train for a Century, but I am pretty sure it'll grant you the fitness to complete the task.  

The bike is a discipline I myself am not the greatest at, and I have struggled with so perhaps we can help motivate one another!  I do know: getting a good bike fit and staying consistent are two essential factors.  Seeing as we share the same weather, learning to love the trainer is going to be key in building our cycling fitness so come Springtime, we're ready to Rock & Roll with some long rides outside.    

2011-01-06 11:25 AM

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I would love to join your group as well. It seems much of what you have overcome are things that I struggle with. I would love to learn more about how you lost the weight and overcame your addictions. I would also love to learn how you deal with training on Long Island since I am so close to it.

My goals for 2011 are:
1. Train consistently - do something at least 5 days a week.
2. Lose 30 lbs by June 1
3. Complete my first Olympic tri.

Apologies for the wall of text but I am writing this on my iPhone and it does not seem to like paragraphs for some reason. I will have to do my full bio later.

*edited for punctuation and paragraphs*

Edited by Sulcus 2011-01-07 6:25 AM
2011-01-06 12:27 PM

Expert
Long Island, NY

My goal is to NOT join your group.  ;-)

For those that will, Bobby will make an excellent mentor.  He has more enthusiasm for running, biking, and swimming than anyone else I know and will do his best to make others feel the same.

2011-01-06 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3282007

Master
TORONTO
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-06 11:25 AM

Hi Marcia.  Welcome   Great goals!  Following the bike portion of a beginner Ironman plan will certainly have you ready for a 100-mile Century Ride.  I don't know if that is the most effective and efficient way to train for a Century, but I am pretty sure it'll grant you the fitness to complete the task.  

The bike is a discipline I myself am not the greatest at, and I have struggled with so perhaps we can help motivate one another!  I do know: getting a good bike fit and staying consistent are two essential factors.  Seeing as we share the same weather, learning to love the trainer is going to be key in building our cycling fitness so come Springtime, we're ready to Rock & Roll with some long rides outside.    

I researched a bunch of century plan books and websites and couldn't really find anything.  So many have you getting to that distance in 8 weeks and cycling every day which won't quite work for me.  I agree it's probably not the best plan so I'm totally open to any suggestions!!

Thanks for the reminder on the bike fit.  My freebie runs out end of January!!

Looking forward to this!

2011-01-06 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3282252

Sulcus - 2011-01-06 12:25 PM I would love to join your group as well. It seems much of what you have overcome are things that I struggle with. I would love to learn more about how you lost the weight and overcame your addictions. I would also love to learn how you deal with training on Long Island since I am so close to it.My goals for 2011 are:1. Train consistently - do something at least 5 days a week.2. Lose 30 lbs by June 13. Complete my first Olympic tri. Apologies for the wall of text but I am writing this on my iPhone and it does not seem to like paragrpahs for some reason. I will have to do my full bio later.

Welcome to the group Shawn.  The way I lost weight, live a sober life today and consistently train for triathlon was by surrending.  Every success in my life today is by direct result of realizing I cannot do it alone.  I need a support group, I need to accept help and advice from those around me.  The day I started taking suggestions and really listening to other people, and stopped doing everything 'my way' was the day the light went on for me.  This approach has served me well in triathon.  I will send you a PM later this week with more intimate details. 

Losing 30 pounds and completing your first Olympic Tri are tremendously admirable goals; and very - very attainable.  Let's make a road map on how to get to those goals and let the journey commence!!! 

2011-01-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3282427

thelunchbox - 2011-01-06 1:27 PM

My goal is to NOT join your group.  ;-)

For those that will, Bobby will make an excellent mentor.  He has more enthusiasm for running, biking, and swimming than anyone else I know and will do his best to make others feel the same.

Don't make me post the picture of you with the flaming red-haired wig.  I'll do it  

You should join our group, Charles.  It would be good for you.  Let me know if you change your mind.  Have fun in Disney.  You are leaving right before the snow comes.  Good timing!

2011-01-06 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3282490

kimmax - 2011-01-06 1:49 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-06 11:25 AM

I researched a bunch of century plan books and websites and couldn't really find anything.  So many have you getting to that distance in 8 weeks and cycling every day which won't quite work for me.  I agree it's probably not the best plan so I'm totally open to any suggestions!!

Looking forward to this!

The Bike is far from my expertise  

Have you checked out Jorge's Winter Cycling Thread?  I've done his plan the last two Winter's -- I am taking a break this winter  

My suggestion Marcia is to check out either Jorge's winter cycling program, or check out the BT Beginner Cycling Plan or the BT Winter Maintenance 8-Week Bike Focus Plan.  The BT Winter Maintenance Bike Focus plan is good if you want follow some structured Run and Swim workouts as well. 

Basically, over the next 2-3 months you want to be consistent and build your bike fitness and stength.  What most plans outline is 3 shorter 30 to 45 minute workouts of varying intensity, and then one longer aerobic ride on the weekend between 45 minutes to an hour.  As the plans progress, they step you up to 45 to 60 minutes per weekly seesion, with a weekend long ride from 1 hour to 2.5 hours.  Recovery sessions and weeks are often built in. 

From my experience the last two Winter's following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan, I was able to seamlessly begin riding outside once the weather was warm enough.  And after grinding it out all Winter on the trainer, riding long outside became much easier and very rewarding.

2011-01-06 6:06 PM

Expert
WA
I would like to join this group!!

Name: Rene Guerrero

Story: I am 41 and  have been running for years.  In 2008 I bought a road bike and started doing races.  In 2008, I ran multiple half marathons and 1 full marathon (3:30).  I did an olympic duathlon which was a great experience for me.  In 2009, I started too early doing my run speedwork and pulled my calf which kept me on the side lines most of the season.  I did do a half marathon and some relays but that was about it.  I have never done a triathlon because I couldn't swim more than 50 yards without being completely exhausted.  In September 2009, I joined a masters swim team and consistently swim pretty consistently twice a week.  This swimming is certainly building my swimming confidence and endurance.  In 2010, I did multiple triathlons including my first HIM.

Family:  Married with 2 Kids (5 and 9)

2011 Races - CDA Ironman, June 2011.

What I am looking for : Training, racing and equipment tips. Inspiration and any helpful information from the experienced.

Triathlon Goals for 2011: I currently have plantar fasciitis and trying to get that healed up ASAP.  I would also like to swim more efficiently and faster and have a good nutrition plan for IM.

2011-01-06 6:50 PM

Veteran

Bobby - I'd like to join your group. I have watched these groups for a couple of weeks now and thought I would NOT join one because....I have joined a couple in the past only to fade away. I feel I have let my team/group members down in doing so and do not want to repeat that pattern. But your enthusiasm hooked me...

Name - Tntexpres / John

Story - I found BT 4 yrs ago and volunteered at a race a couple weeks later and thought I was hooked. While I do love tri's and feel so much better when I am training I have a hard time being consistent. I am good for 2-3 months maybe then have a hard time keeping life from overtaking all training time & motivation. I have completed a couple sprints including an Xterra and loved the off road aspect of it! Last year I found CrossFit and fell in love with it but had the same consistency problems. No training at all since July last year until mid December & have run/biked a handful of times since. This week was my first week back at CrossFit & I am feeling GREAT! I am trying to abide by the Paleo diet but probably only 70% -still better than I was eating.

Family - married 20yrs with 4 kids - 3 still at home. I own a tile contracting company. Being self employed puts a strain on my available time. This leads to my consistency problem.

Current training - CrossFit 3 times a week with 1-2 days a week running or biking. Starting BT Sprint plan first of February. Looking for advice for the rest of year based on following goals.

2011 races - Xterra First Coast Off Road June/July - Hammerhead Oly Tri Aug 29th - Atlantic Coast Half IronMan - Oct 16th

Not only have I let my group/teams down here on BT - I have paid for that Atlantic Coast Oly 2 years in a row now and flaked out - can you believe that? I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR! I will be 45 this year and am COMMITTED TO ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL THIS YEAR!!!

Hoping you can help keep me on track

2011-01-07 6:50 AM

Expert
Douglaston, NY

NAME:  Shawn

STORY:

I am a 34 year old ex-college athlete who is heading into his second real season on triathlons.  Last year I did several sprints and pulled out of two Olympic distance races (one for lack of preparation, one for personal reasons).  Not this year!

Hrm - I just realized that I am headed into a new age group, 35-39 this year.  The times from this group always seemed much faster than the 30-34 for some reason.  At least triathlon allows me to compare my own times to the previous year’s.

Back to my story - I blew out my shoulder playing baseball in college and took 9 years to have it fixed.  I grew up playing hockey and even a little football.  I also dabbled in tennis for a couple of years before getting my shoulder fixed (ever seen a nearly sidearmed serve?). 

How did I get into triathlon?  I was looking for something after my shoulder surgery because tennis partially reinjured it.  As I look back at things, it makes no sense because running was always a form of punishment, biking was something you did on a stationary bike when you had an injury and swimming was what you did during summer camp or when you were goofing around with your friends.

Anyway, swimming to strengthen the shoulder led me to spend time on the bike at the gym.  I figured I was 2/3rd the way there and I needed to do something that was completely unlike me so I said I’d do the best I could on the run.

My biggest obstacle in my first year was coming to grips with the fact that, since I wasn’t going to podium, it was just me racing against myself.  There was no scoreboard or other person else to measure myself against for wins and losses.  It probably sounds rather basic to most people but it was a complete mindset change for me after playing team sports for so long.

Last year was more of learning to work consistently and the how’s and why’s of training.  I got off to a late start in the spring, but took a class with a local triathlon team in New York City and learned a great deal.  I also realized how much I enjoy training with others.   My training was derailed due to some work issues and then falling into bad habits but the time away made me realize how much I missed it.

FAMILY STATUS: 

I married my wife just a little over a year ago, though we were together for nearly 10 years before then.  We have two foster care cats and have just begun seriously thinking about starting a people family.

CURRENT TRAINING:

I’m finalizing a plan but I am of the mindset to run through a spring plan for the next  12 weeks and then transition to an Olympic plan for the next 12.  I’m going to really focus on my core since I tend to be rather weak there.

THIS YEAR’S RACES:

The only race I have officially signed up for is the New York City Triathlon in August.  I am leaning towards an Olympic in June so that New York is not my first.  Otherwise, I’ll probably mix in some sprints, though the loss of my favorite local sprint race this year has me scrambling for a race at the end of May to kick my season off.

WEIGHT LOSS:

I’ve lost and gained weight with the best of them.  I’m currently at 270, the highest I’ve been in four years.  Last year I got down close to 240 and am hoping to be back down there by June 1st.  After a lot of trial and error, I think I’ve finally figured out to not lose the gains of my training while also whittling away at this gut that drags me in the water, prevent a nice aero form and is a pain to lug around on the run (though if you saw me run, you might swear that it lugs me around&hellip.

I am really looking forward to this group.  I know we’ll learn lots and hopefully inspire each other to bigger and better things!

2011-01-07 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3283232

RunRene - 2011-01-06 7:06 PM I would like to join this group!!

Name: Rene Guerrero

Story: I am 41 and  have been running for years.  In 2008 I bought a road bike and started doing races.  In 2008, I ran multiple half marathons and 1 full marathon (3:30).  I did an olympic duathlon which was a great experience for me.  In 2009, I started too early doing my run speedwork and pulled my calf which kept me on the side lines most of the season.  I did do a half marathon and some relays but that was about it.  I have never done a triathlon because I couldn't swim more than 50 yards without being completely exhausted.  In September 2009, I joined a masters swim team and consistently swim pretty consistently twice a week.  This swimming is certainly building my swimming confidence and endurance.  In 2010, I did multiple triathlons including my first HIM.

Family:  Married with 2 Kids (5 and 9)

2011 Races - CDA Ironman, June 2011.

What I am looking for : Training, racing and equipment tips. Inspiration and any helpful information from the experienced.

Triathlon Goals for 2011: I currently have plantar fasciitis and trying to get that healed up ASAP.  I would also like to swim more efficiently and faster and have a good nutrition plan for IM.

Hi Rene.  I too am a runner at heart.  Phenomenal marathon time - 3:30!!   I love how after the duathlon you decided you wanted to do triathlon, so you joined a Master's Swim Group.  What an incredibly smart move.  IMCDA is an Ironman on my radar, and one I hope to do in the next couple years.  PF is a nasty little injury.  Just out of curiosity, what shoes were you running a bulk of your mileage in?  Also, how long have you had the PF?  How are you rehabbing it?  And how's it coming along?  Can you cylcle pain free?  The beauty of triathlon is if you get injured in one discipline, you can often still practice the other two without issue. 

IMLP and IMCDA are within one month of another so we'll definitely be able to motivate one another.  Welcome to the group.

2011-01-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3283301

tntexpres - 2011-01-06 7:50 PM

Bobby - I'd like to join your group. I have watched these groups for a couple of weeks now and thought I would NOT join one because....I have joined a couple in the past only to fade away. I feel I have let my team/group members down in doing so and do not want to repeat that pattern. But your enthusiasm hooked me...

Name - Tntexpres / John

Story - I found BT 4 yrs ago and volunteered at a race a couple weeks later and thought I was hooked. While I do love tri's and feel so much better when I am training I have a hard time being consistent. I am good for 2-3 months maybe then have a hard time keeping life from overtaking all training time & motivation. I have completed a couple sprints including an Xterra and loved the off road aspect of it! Last year I found CrossFit and fell in love with it but had the same consistency problems. No training at all since July last year until mid December & have run/biked a handful of times since. This week was my first week back at CrossFit & I am feeling GREAT! I am trying to abide by the Paleo diet but probably only 70% -still better than I was eating.

Family - married 20yrs with 4 kids - 3 still at home. I own a tile contracting company. Being self employed puts a strain on my available time. This leads to my consistency problem.

Current training - CrossFit 3 times a week with 1-2 days a week running or biking. Starting BT Sprint plan first of February. Looking for advice for the rest of year based on following goals.

2011 races - Xterra First Coast Off Road June/July - Hammerhead Oly Tri Aug 29th - Atlantic Coast Half IronMan - Oct 16th

Not only have I let my group/teams down here on BT - I have paid for that Atlantic Coast Oly 2 years in a row now and flaked out - can you believe that? I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR! I will be 45 this year and am COMMITTED TO ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL THIS YEAR!!!

Hoping you can help keep me on track

Hi John.  Welcome.  Your bio oozes with passion and determination!!  But I also detect some guilt.  First things first: put down the club and stop beating yourself up.  A group dissolving is no single person's fault.  This group is already striking me as very motivated and I can promise you, I am not going anywhere anytime soon.   I'm glad you are enjoying cross-fit, I've heard good things about it.  And just like cross-fit makes you 'feel good' - that pretty much sums up why I train triathlon - it makes me feel good   I have two careers, kiddies, and like most productive people in today's society - basically have a hectic, crazy lifestyle.  And I wouldn't trade it for the world!!  But the point I'm leading toward is more a question.  "Why do you want to train consistently?  Why do you want to do triathlon?"   It's the simplest, but toughest question.  Identifying the source for your motivation.  I believe if you answer that question, and then revisit that answer often, and keep it as a mental note in the forefront of your mind - it will help you stay the course until a goal (such as your Olympic Race) has been accomplished.

For me, the reason I train is for mental and physical health.  I have a very active mind and I used to be an intense and axious person.  Consistent training helps queit my mind, keeps me focused, calm and lucid.  It's like a natural sedative for me.  Training also greatly reduces the stress that can become balled up inside me.  Exercising outside is also very spiritual for me.  I feel it helps me meditate and connect.  I also train for physical reasons.  I want to live a long life!!  Physical activity I believe is the key to boosting immunity, lessening chance of disease, and increasing your chance of living a better quality of life in your 60's, 70's, 80's and beyond!!  When I retire, I want to travel and enjoy life.  I want to be mobile and independent.  I don't know if you watched the NBC coverage of Kona, but AG'er Lew Hollander is an 80 year old man who has been racing Kona since 1985.  In an interview Lew said, "If you want to be a functional 80-year-old, you better damn well pay attention at 40." 

I look at it as, training and the condition and health I am achieving with my body is priceless.  Everything else is just material items that can be bought and sold, thrown out, made again and then thrown out again.  But my quality of life, being healthy and active, is priceless.  This lifestyle also sets a great example for my children, wife, relatives and friends.  Since I've changed my lifestyle, many of the people around me have changed positively, too.  My 6-year-old son ran a 7:58 mile at the Turkey Trot.  My wife now works out 1 to 2 times per week.  Many of my once sedentary friends and neighbors now run.  The amount of positives, the amount of gifts I have received from this lifestyle are just amazing.  I know I am rambling   But I think my point is, for me, I know my business will be there and run fine if I put an hour or two hours less a day into it; and it does.  It runs fine - suprisngly!  I made a prioirty list in my life and it has become Family, Training, and then everything else.  You mention "life" taking over, perhaps by incorporating training more into your life and refocusing priorities, you'll see how much this lifestyle enhances the important things in life.       

Enough babbling out of me!  Ask yourself why you do this and don't forget that personal and intimate answer.  Remind yourself of this answer anytime your training starts to slip. 

On the topic of Races.... races are simply a celebration of our hard work and dedication.  A chance to mingle with other triathletes, have our families cheer us on, and crossing that finishing line.... man, there is no better feeling!!  Races also act as long term goals, and add much-needed structure to our training.   At least for me.  And the Olympic distance is a solid, meaty distance.  You can't fake a 1500 meter swim, and the bike sets you up for an honest 10k run.  The Atlantic Coast Triathlon is in October.  I too have a October race in mind, but my more immediate focus is my Spring races.  I know if I have a good Winter base of training, it will lead to a superb Spring training block and good Spring Races.  Building on these successes will confidently lead me into the summertime, and then the fall.  So my suggestion would be to focus on the Xterra event for now.  Maybe even throw in an early Spring road race!!! 

Oh, and one more thing, make sure you are getting enough carbs with the Paleo diet.  Carbs are our lifeblood!!

2011-01-07 8:31 AM

Shawn:  Love your bio.  Very honest.  Your goals are also very clear.  My bestfriend and marathon training partner is an ex-college athlete, and I've listened to him talk and seen how he's translated that competitive spirit into running.  I also played soccer as a teen on a competitive travel team, and played ice hockey for ten years, and although I podium at small local races - I get smooooked at any big, non-local event - so I completely identify with "racing against yourself".  And truth-be-told, even at the local events where I do podium, I feel like I am still racing against myself.  It's still me striving to reach my potential, ignoring the voice in my head that screams "Stop, this hurts!", and trying to use all my training and past experience to pull out a good race result.  I look at Craig Alexander.  Last year at Kona he finished first.  This year, he finished faster than last year and ended up off the podium!! So he had a faster time than the previous year, but ended up off the podium.  Go figure, right?  My goal for a race is A.) To get to the starting line healthy and prepared.  That's a victory in itself.  The B.) Is to finish and cross that white line with the best effort I can on that day.  Everything else is gravy.  

A good friend of mine always tells me "I am responsible for the effort, not the outcome." 

At my heaviest, I was around 220 pounds.  Running and drinking lots of water were to things that just seemed to melt off the pounds for me.  Seeing as running is your least favorite discipline, I would suggest focusing on it.  Easier said than done, I KNOW!  I'm at constant war with the Bike myself.  A bike injury kept me from my first Ironman last year, and the trainer has not been kind to me yet this year.  Which is the exact reason I need to tackle it head on, focus on it, and overcome this challenge.  And I will.  The sense of satisfaction that I will recieve from doing so will be worth it, I'm sure.     

Shawn, Welcome to the Group and let's begin this Journey!!

2011-01-07 8:44 AM

NOTE TO GROUP:  Over the next few days and weeks, feel free to check out one another's blogs and inspire and encourage one another.  Derive strength from the group.  Feel free to offer your own experiences and suggestions to other group members.  All of my successes and accomplished goals in running and triathlon are as a direct result of following suggestion and applying them to my training. 

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!!

2011-01-07 9:15 AM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Bobby, I would like to join your group if you still have openings. 

NAME: GRB1 / Greg

STORY: 42 years old and entering my third full year of doing Tri's.  My goal for this year will be to improve on my fitness level/conditioning and learn to push myself a little more on longer distance events.  Last year I completed my first IM and accomplished a long term goal in the process.  I was not going to compete in another IM this year as it is very time intensive and I wanted to dedicate more time to the family.  However IM WI opened up slots for military and police as the race will fall on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  I am active duty Navy and I felt compelled to apply for a slot to represent the Navy.  I was honored to be selected to represent the Navy and the families who have given so much over the last 10 years.  I did of course get approval from my wife, who I am blessed to receive so much support from  So I now have a goal to improve upon my time from last year and have fun in the process.  I have room for improvement in all three disciplines.

I have been involved in a mentor group the last 2 years.  I have found this to be a great venue to stay involved, learn from others and it sort of holds me accountable for my training.  Hoping to get more of the same this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 6 + 8.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I have never used an official training plan.  I have trained based on my knowledge of the sport and listening to my body. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman Racine 70.3, IM Wisconsin and Capitol View Olympic.

2011 RACES:   Same as above. 

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started training 3 years ago I was 219#.   At the peak of my IM training last year I dropped down to 192#.  Post IM I have put on some "Winter" weight and currently weigh 205.  Looking to get down to 190# for IM Wisconsin.

2011-01-07 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3282642

Master
TORONTO
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-06 2:41 PM

The Bike is far from my expertise  

Have you checked out Jorge's Winter Cycling Thread?  I've done his plan the last two Winter's -- I am taking a break this winter  

My suggestion Marcia is to check out either Jorge's winter cycling program, or check out the BT Beginner Cycling Plan or the BT Winter Maintenance 8-Week Bike Focus Plan.  The BT Winter Maintenance Bike Focus plan is good if you want follow some structured Run and Swim workouts as well. 

I have had a look and have been using his drills for my rides though I'm not consistent.  I like them though (I follow RPE) and find they make the time fly a LOT faster than just straight riding.  To be honest I didn't even know BT had a cycling plan!?  I'll have to check it out. 

2011-01-07 11:04 AM

Master
TORONTO
Hey Everyone!  Glad to see the group is taking off.  Had a quick glance at everyone's posts and it looks to be a good mix of people.  Interestingly I think we're all about the same age and same stage in life.

A couple of quick comments -
Rene - way to go on the swimming and throwing yourself in to it!  I learned at a young age but know of people learning as an adult and I admire the courage to learn something such as swimming!

John - Completely agree with Bobby - takes more than one person for a group to fall apart and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.  4 kids and self employed!  WOW! 

Shawn - I tried my first oly last year and while I was slow - I was beaming when I crossed the finish line.  I'm not a competitive person re: sports and never have been but I find competing against my self a great motivator.  I have tried to do each triathlon at least twice to observe any improvements.  But ya - I can be passed by a bzillion people and be okay - but not beat my previous time and I'm disappointed!  You could turn out to be your worst competitor

Anyway... I'm supposed to be going for a lunch time run and here I am procrastinating on this site!  It's cold and snowy out there but at least the sun is up.  Yikes - apparently it feels like -14 - I'm soooo cold intolerant.  Wish me luck and have  a great weekend everyone!!
2011-01-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3258263

Expert
WA
Dream Chaser - 2010-12-22 3:31 AM

Edit:

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2009 2010 I qualified to run the Boston Marathon, completed two half Ironman's, and half a dozen smaller triathlons and road races.

Congrats on qualifying!!  AWESOME!!!
2011-01-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3282490

Expert
WA
kimmax - 2011-01-05 10:49 PM

Looking forward to this!

I have used Spinervals when riding, they will kick your butt... if that is what you want. Smile

For long rides I like to be distracted by watching something.  Here are some ideas of things to watch.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60