BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2011-01-09 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Woodmere
Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - OPEN
Can I still join your group?

2011-01-09 9:04 PM

Subject: hello..
Hello Dream chaser. I am very interested in having you as my mentor if you still have room in your group. I am new to tri's and my hopes are to get back into shape and compete in my first tri this year. There is one in april, if not deff. in july. I live in las vegas and used to be very athletic prior to getting pregnant 2 yrs ago. I have had it and need to get off the couch and get motivated. My aim is to meet great friends and motivators to help me through the rough times ahead of me and to creat a better life for me and my family. I really appreciate it. I am kinda in the dark and need a workout plan and a meal plan. Thanks again and can't wait to hear from you. Danielle. Thanks
2011-01-09 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3282490

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
kimmax - 2011-01-06 12:49 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-06 11:25 AM

Hi Marcia.  Welcome   Great goals!  Following the bike portion of a beginner Ironman plan will certainly have you ready for a 100-mile Century Ride.  I don't know if that is the most effective and efficient way to train for a Century, but I am pretty sure it'll grant you the fitness to complete the task.  

The bike is a discipline I myself am not the greatest at, and I have struggled with so perhaps we can help motivate one another!  I do know: getting a good bike fit and staying consistent are two essential factors.  Seeing as we share the same weather, learning to love the trainer is going to be key in building our cycling fitness so come Springtime, we're ready to Rock & Roll with some long rides outside.    

I researched a bunch of century plan books and websites and couldn't really find anything.  So many have you getting to that distance in 8 weeks and cycling every day which won't quite work for me.  I agree it's probably not the best plan so I'm totally open to any suggestions!!

Thanks for the reminder on the bike fit.  My freebie runs out end of January!!

Looking forward to this!

Marcia,
   One way to break up winter bike training is to take a Spin class.  Depending on the instructor they can be very beneficial.  The music and group environment help to break up the boredom of riding a trainer.  Again the instructor can make or break the class.  If you have a good/experienced one you can help to maintain your cycling legs over the winter.  I take a couple of classes a week including a 2 hour class on the weekends.  Normally classes will focus on endurance, hills or intervals.   
2011-01-09 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3284835

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-07 12:38 PM

GRB1 - 2011-01-07 10:15 AM Bobby, I would like to join your group if you still have openings. 

NAME: GRB1 / Greg

STORY: 42 years old and entering my third full year of doing Tri's.  My goal for this year will be to improve on my fitness level/conditioning and learn to push myself a little more on longer distance events.  Last year I completed my first IM and accomplished a long term goal in the process.  I was not going to compete in another IM this year as it is very time intensive and I wanted to dedicate more time to the family.  However IM WI opened up slots for military and police as the race will fall on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  I am active duty Navy and I felt compelled to apply for a slot to represent the Navy.  I was honored to be selected to represent the Navy and the families who have given so much over the last 10 years.  I did of course get approval from my wife, who I am blessed to receive so much support from  So I now have a goal to improve upon my time from last year and have fun in the process.  I have room for improvement in all three disciplines.

I have been involved in a mentor group the last 2 years.  I have found this to be a great venue to stay involved, learn from others and it sort of holds me accountable for my training.  Hoping to get more of the same this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys ages 6 + 8.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I have never used an official training plan.  I have trained based on my knowledge of the sport and listening to my body. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman Racine 70.3, IM Wisconsin and Capitol View Olympic.

2011 RACES:   Same as above. 

WEIGHTLOSS: When I started training 3 years ago I was 219#.   At the peak of my IM training last year I dropped down to 192#.  Post IM I have put on some "Winter" weight and currently weigh 205.  Looking to get down to 190# for IM Wisconsin.

Greg, Welcome!!!  We are still Open for business.  Thank you for serving our country and defending our Freedom -  God Bless you. 

If you want to better your Wisconsin time, I would strongly suggest researching and finding a program that fits your needs and lifestyle.  It's taken me a few years to learn the lesson that following a plan is the best way to ensure Race Day success - and I am still learning this lesson.  Especially with an Ironman, since the training (especially during the Peak period) is so mammoth, that we are are too fatigued to think straight, or know what's best for us.  Last season my mantra was "train by listening to my body".  The problem with that is, by the time your body screams that something is wrong - it's already too late.  Please don't confuse this with 'listening to your body' as a general rule of thumb.  I'm speaking specifically of planning your daily training for an extended period of time to prepare for an event base on 'listening to your body'. 

Having trained for and completed an Ironman, and I see a few 70.3's, your input and suggestions to other members in the group will be very valuable.  Please feel free to offer motivation, suggestions and share your past experiences with others.   In fact, I strongly suggest you offer us all input!!  Thank you for joining the group.  Or should I say, Welcome aboard Soldier!! 

Bobby, I agree I can probably really benefit from a more structured plan.  Normally I use a two to three week build followed by a reduced/recovery week which builds toward my events followed by a taper.   I did see significant improvement from my first year to my second, which I guess would be very common for most triathletes.  I dropped about 27 minutes from my HIM time.  Goal is to do the same on my second IM.  I will be looking into some of the programs/plans I have seen mentioned and see if they fit my lifestyle/situation.

Greg
2011-01-09 10:40 PM

Hello all!  I'd like to join this group.

I have 2 friends that are training with me for a 1/2 IM in Sept.  I have been cycling for 3 years and running for 2.  I have completed century rides and a marathon.  I'm married and have 2 children 16 & 15.
My training consists of P90X, cycling, running, and now swimming.   Swimming is my weak area and I plan on making that my focus area.

I live in IL and its cold and snowy.  Do spin classes aid in off season training?

Thanks  Don

2011-01-10 12:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Bobby - 

I would love to join this group if you still have room.  My short and long term goals are listed in my training log, but in a nutshell I want to build up to a 5K by spring and complete my first triathlon this summer.  

2011-01-10 5:40 AM
in reply to: #3288999

User image

Master
TORONTO
GRB1 - 2011-01-09 10:30 PM
kimmax - 2011-01-06 12:49 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-06 11:25 AM

Hi Marcia.  Welcome   Great goals!  Following the bike portion of a beginner Ironman plan will certainly have you ready for a 100-mile Century Ride.  I don't know if that is the most effective and efficient way to train for a Century, but I am pretty sure it'll grant you the fitness to complete the task.  

The bike is a discipline I myself am not the greatest at, and I have struggled with so perhaps we can help motivate one another!  I do know: getting a good bike fit and staying consistent are two essential factors.  Seeing as we share the same weather, learning to love the trainer is going to be key in building our cycling fitness so come Springtime, we're ready to Rock & Roll with some long rides outside.    

I researched a bunch of century plan books and websites and couldn't really find anything.  So many have you getting to that distance in 8 weeks and cycling every day which won't quite work for me.  I agree it's probably not the best plan so I'm totally open to any suggestions!!

Thanks for the reminder on the bike fit.  My freebie runs out end of January!!

Looking forward to this!

Marcia,
   One way to break up winter bike training is to take a Spin class.  Depending on the instructor they can be very beneficial.  The music and group environment help to break up the boredom of riding a trainer.  Again the instructor can make or break the class.  If you have a good/experienced one you can help to maintain your cycling legs over the winter.  I take a couple of classes a week including a 2 hour class on the weekends.  Normally classes will focus on endurance, hills or intervals.   

Good morning everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  Mine was a snowy one and lots of time spent outside but sadly no training.  I LOVE spin classes but haven't been to one in a while.  Thanks for the tip!  I'm struggling a bit trying to get in to a routine with hubby working out of the country for a while.  I have a whole new respect for single parents!!  I'm determined to make this happen though so here's to a new week!!  Hope your Monday starts off on a good note!
2011-01-10 8:25 AM

User image

Woodmere
Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED
Oh I didn't list my goals when I requested to join this group! Basically I have lost about 50lbs in the past yr and a half through diet and excersice I have a trainer at the gym 2x a wk who I do strength w and I try and get in cardio at least another two I love spin class! This past yr I did the NYC bike tour it was 40 something mi through the 5 boroughs and I loved that! So this yr I was like hey NYC tri just sign up so I did! But although I'm decent shape I've never run before! And I grew up swimming for fun but when I'm reading these tri books I have no clue what the jargon means (2:00 in 25m !!) I am doing an olym tri in aug it is my first. I want to do my personal best. As a mentor I would like to understand how to navigate through this journey I feel a little lost bc I'm doing this on my own. As fr as my personals I live in woodmere long island, I'm married with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old both boys. And as far as weight loss I wouldn't mind shedding a few more pounds and toning up! Right now I'm really focusing on the running I'm at 2 mi but I wouldn't call it a run! A jog maybe! Ok thanks I hope u have room for me in this group u have a very good energy an I like the group uv atracted! (sorry for the typing I'm on iPhone)
2011-01-10 8:46 AM

User image

Good morning Everyone.  We are officially CLOSED for business.  Havjava, Daniell07, 17goesfast and tdl1972 are our last members in.  You guys made it

Havajava, please introduce yourself:  name, hometown, past athletic experience and current goals - and anything else cool you may want to add to let the group get to know you.  

Daniell07, Hi   I too (as do many people in this group) have children.  That's one of the GREAT challenges is getting the training in!!  I truly believe this sport has made me a MUCH better parent.  (More on that later.)  As far as your goals: try and get more specific.  Pick a target weightloss number.  You don't have to share it with us, but when you pick a definitive number you will see that number in your head and events will more likely align to achieve that exact goal.  The same with your Spring/Summer race.  Prior to your pregancy were you active in triathlon?  Is your goal race a Sprint or Olympic Race?  And if those distances were achievable for you pre-pregnancy, PICK ONE and REGISTER FOR IT NOW!!!  Commit!!  

Once you sign on the dotted line, pay the money, and then add that race in your BT Race Calendar (so you see it on your screen everytime you log on) again, you are more likely to visualize and accomplish that goal.  Depending on which race you choose, I would simply choose one of the BT plans.  All you need is a basic road map of when to swim, bike or run, and for how long, and you will be able to compete the race.  As far as a meal plan, pfffttt... you're on your own!!!    But seriously, we are endurance athletes (even at the shorter distances) so we need carbs for energy and protein post-workout to repair our muscles.  Everyone is on these crazy diets nowadays and truth be told, diets don't work.  They only work for a short period of time that you are on the diet.  The truth is, you simply need to take in less calories then you burn throughout the day.  That's the only way to lose weight.  This was proven recently by the college professor who lost weight by only eating twinkies and cupcakes.  He only ate junk food but lost weight because he ingested less calories than what he burned.  Does that mean we should eat junk food.... NO! If course not!    Eat junk and you will feel like and perform like junk.  The basic Food Pyramid is a great place to start.  Eat in moderation. 

Lastly, I've heard there is a great Tri scene in LasVegas.  Get out there and make some friends!!!  Visit the Nevada forum at the bottom of the forums page and find out what Tri Groups there are, join one, make friends and get busy!! I am part of Sunrise Tri Team here on Long Island and I've made some unbelievable great friends!!  That's another gift I've received from this sport.  I've made just the best friends in the world.  People that are reliable, trustworthy and I laugh and have so much damn fun with. 

17goesfast, Hi Don!!  Glad to add another marathoner to the group.   The 70.3 is my favorite distance, so far.  It's a distance that is a challenge for me mostly due to nutrition.  If you are properly trained you can race a sprint with zero nutiriton, and if properly trainer a half bottler of gatorade and a gel will comfortably get you through and Olympic distance race, but ahhh the 70.3 demands that you fuel on the bike for 56 miles and then fuel for a half marathon as well.  The key is to practice - practice - practice your nutrition in training and then replicate that on Race Day.  A hard lesson I am still learning after  7 half Ironmans. 

Glad to see you are training with friends.  That will make the journey so much more rewarding.  I know for me, if not for the fact I was meeting friends at 5 AM for a Long Bike or Run, I wouldn't be getting out of bed that early!!  But making that commitment ahead of time is a good way to make sure you stick to it.  Friends hold one another accountable. 

When you get the chance, I highly suggest adding your race in your BT Blog, give your blog a name, and start logging workouts. 

tdl19772, Good morning David.  Welcome to the group.  If 1972 is your DOB, I am 1974.  A non-stop 5k is a very admirable goal.  In my best guesstimate, if we pulled all of America off the couch right now and said run 3 miles non-stop; 90% plus would not be able to do it.  I have a great running story (my story) that I will share in a second that I hope you can idenity and relate to.  Keep blogging in your blog, that is such an important key to moving toward your goals.  I love, love running so please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.  That would be so awesome for you to run a sub 30 5k with the help and support of this group.   

Oh, and 'No' Poker is not mental training... however, it is very similar to the mental training you can use in Running.  Ah hah!  Yes   Just like if you compare when you first started playing poker to now, I would imagine your ability to stay focused and concentrate on the game is much longer.  It is the same with running.  Learning to push through small mental barriers, learning to hold form later in runs, learning to mentally hold the pace and even push the pace at the end of the run.  I've read many articles on mental training and it is a huge part of running, swimming and cycling training.  And the best way to develop this skill is through consistent, relentless training.  Welcome aboard.  Looking forward to following your journey toward VICTORY!!!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-01-10 8:48 AM
2011-01-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3289185

User image

Good morning everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  Mine was a snowy one and lots of time spent outside but sadly no training.  I LOVE spin classes but haven't been to one in a while.  Thanks for the tip!  I'm struggling a bit trying to get in to a routine with hubby working out of the country for a while.  I have a whole new respect for single parents!!  I'm determined to make this happen though so here's to a new week!!  Hope your Monday starts off on a good note!

Good morning, Maria   Yeppers, just heard we got more snow coming our way here in New York, too!!  Looks like nothin' but treadmill and trainer for me.  Mmmmmm Yummy!   

Getting into a routine is VERY important   You are determined.  You will do this.  Did everyone watch the NBC Kona coverage?  The one mom had four kids and trained for an Ironman!!!  God Bless her.

2011-01-10 9:29 AM

User image

Woodmere
I have so many questions about gear and training schedules. Do I post them to the whole group?

2011-01-10 9:35 AM

User image

Monday Motivational Mentor Speech

My Story

Hi Everyone.  So our group is now closed.  We have 15 awesome people, including myself.  I'm going to give you a quick background story on myself.  I hope you guys can draw inspiration from it, and I'm going to keep this very short.  As a kid I played soccer and somehow managed to make it on a travel team.  I was not a good passer or ball-handler, but everytime I got on the field I was very aggressive and chased that ball like it was mine.  The coach used me as an 'energy player' and although I saw the least amount of field time of all the players, had the least amount of talent, I managed to score some big goals.  In 9th grade I joined the cross country team.  My first race was a 400m race, just one lap around the track.  The gun went off and I was in the middle of the pack.  I couldn't believe how fast the pace was.  Less than halfway through I was struggling to stay on the heels of the last guy.  The last 100 meters I was gasping for air, embaressed, the whole field had finished well before me ... I barely finished.  I never went back to after that day.  I left sports entirely and began drinking and drugging every day.

When I was 22-years-old, I decided I wanted to play ice hockey.  I had always watched ice hockey on t.v., I am die-hard Rangers fan since 1987.  I had never ice skated or played hockey before in my life.  But I joined an intramural league, bought all the gear, and got the courage to get out there.  My first game I fell continously and was like a fish out of water.  But everytime I fell, I picked myself back up.  I talked to guys who skated well, I analyzed the players on t.v., and I kept at it -- is stayed consistent and relentless.  Just like the soccer ball, I chased that puck like it was mine.  One of my first few games a puck squirted loose toward center ice and I went after it like I was shot out of a cannon.  I pushed the puck ahead of me and it was just me and the goalie.  I nearly fell backwards and then forwards several times and the goalie actually just stood there (not at all in his prepared goalie stance) probably wondering if I was going to even make it to him.  Determined I did make it to him, and I let go of a fast wrist shot that whistled right between his legs and hit the back of the net.  He was stunned and I never felt such elation!!  And I wanted more of it.  Over the next 10 years I worked my way up to better leagues and even played a game with an ex-NHL'er (Benoit Hogue).  I had dozens of multipoint games, hattricks, and even a four goal game.  My skating improved a lot, but I never became a good skater, never even could skate backwards... but I stayed within myself, studied the game and stayed persistent and consistent. 

At age 30 drinking regularly since age 14 was taking a toll on me.  I always said I would quit at age 30.  But it didn't happen.  At age 31 I was over 220 pounds on a 5' 9" frame, and I decided to start running to trim off some weight.  I went to the track, the one I hadn't seen since 9th grade and decided to do some laps.  Again, I barely made it around once and I was winded.  I was done.  A week later I went back and managed two laps.  After three months I made a mile.  Then I began running in my neighborhood.  I was somewhere around a 10:30 pace and I remember around a mile and a half into a two mile run, I felt like I was going to die.  It was just so exhausting and painful.  But the weight started coming off and I kept at it.  After a whole year I had built up to 4 miles and I was down to the low 190's.  I heard about a 10k race and figured if I could do 4 miles in training, I could probably do a 6.2 mile event.   Amazingly I not only finished the race, I did so in a time of 51:05.  The crowds of people cheering, the gun blast at the start, surrounded by other runners, and then the feeling of crossing that finish line!!  It was like the feeling of scoring my first hockey goal.  God it felt so good.  I wanted more of it. 

At the time of that first 10k I was 32.  My son had just been born.  I made a decision right then and there.  I knew how it felt to lose, like I did at my first race.  I knew how it felt to wake up hungover with no memory of the night before.  I was on the fringe of losing my wife and child.  I could either embrace this new life and feel good - feel amazing every day; or I could be miserable, alone and unhappy.  I chose my family and happiness.  At age 36, with the help of other loving caring people I am 100% sober for many years and I am living a life beyond my wildest dreams.  I've run several marathons, half Ironmans, and I continue to put up racing times that have nothing to do with talent.  Truth be told, I have very little talent but a lot of HEART. 

I believe firmly each and every person in this group is capable of things beyond their wildest dreams too.  It just takes a little commitment and unrelenting consistency and persistency.  Every time you train is a drop.  Put that drop in a bucket and the bucket is still empty.  Put in another drop, and it kind of looks moist.  But if you have faith and keep adding those drops, soon enough it will have a fine layer of water across the bottom.  Before long it will fill higher and higher.  The same with any building.  It's made up of many, many, many stones.  But you must start somewhere, and you must consistently build.  I firmly believe the keys to my achieved success have been surrounding myself with great people and never ever giving up.    

Suggestions 

I suggest everyone please post at least once a week.  A quick "Hi"  a quick update.  Let people know what's going on with you.  Share your failures, successes, frustration.  The scary truth is, we are ALL THE SAME!!  We all think the same things and want the same thing.  Let other people encourage and help you.  Encourage and help others as well.

I suggest if you haven't already, name your blog and keep it updated.  I can't tell you the amount of times over the year I have gone back into my blogs from 2008 and 2009 to see how far I've come, relive moments in my life, and discover mistakes and fix them. 

Lastly, every day and any given moment ask yourself this question:  Am I moving away from my Goals or toward my Goals?  We set these goals and want to accomplish them because they make us happy, these goals are us striving to be the best people we can be.  They are inidicitave of life.  Any time you want to skip a workout, want to reach for the ice cream, ask yourself:  Am I moving toward my goal or away from it?  At any given point during the days and weeks we are in constant motion.  Which way are you moving today?  Baby steps....  one drop at a time. 

2011-01-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3289637

User image

Havajava - 2011-01-10 10:29 AM I have so many questions about gear and training schedules. Do I post them to the whole group?

If you have general questions, I would highly recommend the "Search" function.  It's in the upper right art of your screen.  I've used it probably close to a thousand times.  Everything you are experiencing,  thousands of BT'ers before you have experienced, and all of the questions have been asked and answered.  This site is literally an encyclopedia of information.  Google is also a phenomenal tool to utilize. 

If you have a specific question, by all means - please feel free to ask the group.  But I have strong feeling 90% of your questions have been asked or answered already.  Search and thou shall find

2011-01-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3289653

User image

Expert
WA
Dream Chaser - 2011-01-09 7:35 PM
Lastly, every day and any given moment ask yourself this question:  Am I moving away from my Goals or toward my Goals?  We set these goals and want to accomplish them because they make us happy, these goals are us striving to be the best people we can be.  They are inidicitave of life.  Any time you want to skip a workout, want to reach for the ice cream, ask yourself:  Am I moving toward my goal or away from it?  At any given point during the days and weeks we are in constant motion.  Which way are you moving today?  Baby steps....  one drop at a time. 

GREAT motivational story Dream!! Thank you for sharing that with us!

You definitely have a lot of heart and enthusiasm!   I am going to try and keep that quote in mind and ask myself that on a daily basis, "Am I moving away from my Goals or toward my Goals?".

2011-01-10 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Today's rant:  I have bronchitis for the 2nd time this winter and I HATE being sick!

Another thing that has really motivated me and given me some success over the past couple of years is to read some of the amazing success stories from people on this site.  Seeing what some people have overcome certainly can make you HTFU and missing a workout because "poor me, I didn't get enough sleep last night" just doesn't cut it.

I think another way of looking at things is you are now (or will be, for you newbies) a triathlete.  With that comes a certain responsibility, if you will, of lifestyle changes/commitments.  You have to better manage:

1. Your time (triathlon training CAN be very time-consuming)
  2. Your money (and I'm saying this without even owning a road bike yet)
  3. Your eating habits (I love cheeseburgers and ANY kind of chocolate)
  4. Your sleeping habits (I've switched my life from an 11-7 sleeper to 9:30-5:30, early bird and all that)

Your dedication to that lifestyle, irrespective of any specific goals, is going to help drive success.  That "strategic" thinking will help you with your more "tactical" goal set Bobby is talking about.

Also, I've embraced the S.M.A.R.T. goals concept, courtesy of one of my former managers at work (and probably the best I've had).  Goals should be:

• Specific:  I want to lose weight
  • Measurable:  I want to lose 10 pounds
  • Achievable:  I am not injured or sick, or have any other limitation that would prevent this
  • Realistic:  It is only 5% of my body weight
  • Timely:  I will have it done by May 1st

I look forward to everyone sharing their thoughts and goals.  And thanks for setting this up Bobby, your soccer story sounds like me in my 20s.  And I'm a diehard Flyers fan (grew up in Philly area...my first sports memory is the Flyers winnign the Cup in '75).

2011-01-10 3:31 PM

User image

Michael, good stuff.  Would you believe I still struggle with going to bed early and getting up early!!  I struggle with it mightily!!  The only times I seem to be able to get up early are the weekends when I promise to meet a training partner.  Then because of the commitment, I drag my butt out of bed.

I am still struggling with my diet, and even slipped today and ate 5 handfulls of chocolate popcorn!!  And I even said to myself, "This is not moving us toward our goals!"  LOL!!    So now I'm going to punish myself on the trainer and work off those calories.  A trainer I am still making friends with this year. 

Truth is, this lifestyle is hard!  And during this time of year, for me, it's downright brutal!!  But I know if I can keep taking small steps in the right direction, keep up my consistency, I am going to be so damn happy come Spring.  And training outdoors will be a delight and reward for grinding it out now.  It will all be worth it...

2011-01-10 3:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I jumped into this group a short while back but did not have time to post. Here is my deal. These mentor groups are great, especially if it stays active. With DC leading the charge, I have no doubt that it will.

Background

I have been racing various distances for about 6 years. It is truly addicting. I am a former football/basketball player with no background in biking, running or swimming. I started out like many probably do with a local sprint. I am a BOP’r in most large, competitive races. I started out just looking for a way to improve my fitness level. I was spending too much time at work and on the couch. This needed to change.

My 1st Tri

Thinking I was in pretty good shape, I decided I would do a local sprint tri. I was hoping to get in a good workout, and after all, I had done a few laps in the pool earlier in the week. I had not swam in years and was never a real swimmer. I just about died (figuratively) after finishing the .5 mile swim. The swim was the hardest thing I had done in a very long time. I was pretty close to being the last out of the water. I was exhausted when I arrived at my....15 year old mountain bike. I hit the course a bit waterlogged and lightheaded. The good news is that I was not being passed much. The bad news was that it was a tough 12 miles, and I was close to last. Upon finishing the bike, I took off on noodle legs and finished the race truly exhausted. It was not a great experience. I was doing it for fun, for exercise and to see what it was like. I was underprepared, made several mistakes, and was truly humbled. However, I was hooked. I learned a lot that day.

I share the story above for two reasons. This is what got me started, and if I can do it, so can anybody else.

Family Status

I have a very supportive, active and loving family. Like most, we have very busy lives and thus fitting in the time to train is often very challenging. I feel that I set a good example for my family by racing and striving to achieve my goals. Tri's have changed my life, but I can also see how it has changed theirs as well.

Race History

I have completed a number of sprints, olys, 70.3's and IM events. I have also ran a few marathons. I like to joke that I have made every mistake in the book along the way. There is so much to learn at every level, and everybody has different ideas about training and what works for them. Training and racing is just a series of trial and error. You need to try different things to see what works for you.

2011 Races

If all goes well, I hope to do a marathon, two 70.3's, an Oly and IMUSA this year. You can see some of the specific races on by training blog.

Weight Control

My achilles heel is my weight (I am 6'4" - 240 currently). I think I would perform best down at about 200 pounds. However, I have never raced below 215. The goal again this year is to get down to 200 for IMUSA.

Training

I am currently in week three of Don Fink's beIRONfit. The plan seems to work well for me. My "A" race this year is IMUSA in late July.

2011-01-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3290472

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
SMART....hmmmm....I like this!
2011-01-10 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, how do you all update your BT blog or the forums via smartphones?  I have Droid 2.  Thanks!

2011-01-10 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great, great stuff so far!  After reading through this entire thread I am rethinking some of my goals with an eye toward what is truly behind the initial goals I set for this year.  For one, getting back into shape and losing weight has got to be my number one motivator.  Yes I want to swim faster, yes I want to be able to finish a 5K again and ultimately complete a triathlon, but behind all of that is my desire to get and be healthy again.  I'm gonna put some more thought into this tonight and will let you know what I come up with.  

2011-01-10 7:39 PM

Regular
Bobby:
Looking forward to journey together with others.

I like the S.M.A.R.T system you have. I'm about to enter a new stage of life in that we are expecting our third in a few weeks.  This means some sleepless night (maybe that will get me up early to train) so that's going to put a wrinkle on my training.  Just signed up for the LA Tri and looking forward to conquering my poor open water swim time.

Just did a 1400yd swim today.  anyone with good idea on how properly to train with swim paddles?  got a pair for christmas?

if anyone on the board is in the LA (los angeles area) give me a shout out!

2011-01-10 7:45 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Great story Bobby and thanks for sharing!

My first (and last) tri sounds like gatir33's first tri!!  I started 3 years ago - not a runner.  My longest run was 2-3 miles and ya.. I trained to get there.  I took my mountain bike and put thin slicks on it and started riding trails and I loved swimming but hadn't done lap swimming forever.  I've improved a little in each of the sports - not spectacular gains but I can hold my own at the back of the pack     Upgraded my bike 2 years ago and if I can make it through a season without an fall woo hoo!   I am not a fast girl but I like to think I can last and go the distance.  I'm determined and have a really supportive family which helps me meet my goals.  It gets a little scarier now that my goals get more aggressive.  But there's such a thrill when you do meet them which is why this thread appealed to me.  I CAN'T WAIT til the skies stay brighter in the evenings tho I do tend to work out at 5am which means I tend to be in the dark all the time.  C'est la vie!  It's my choice right?  Hope everyone has a great night!  I think my babe is a prune by now (she's soaking in the tub while I surf) so I'd better run!

2011-01-10 9:16 PM

User image

Woodmere
Thanks mike I love ur smart goals that's so great for life.So I get that there are training programs 16-20 weeks before my race but 1 how do I know which to choose? And 2 now should I just be randomly running biking swimming? Or is there a more organized pre training training?
2011-01-11 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3291442

User image

Master
TORONTO
Havajava - 2011-01-10 10:16 PM Thanks mike I love ur smart goals that's so great for life.So I get that there are training programs 16-20 weeks before my race but 1 how do I know which to choose? And 2 now should I just be randomly running biking swimming? Or is there a more organized pre training training?

I think it depends on what you hope to accomplish.  I tend to go with a longer plan because I want to feel prepared.  I also like the detailed workouts so I know what to do in each workout.  I don't train with power or a HRM and so try to find plans that are RPE based.  And lastly - I chose based on the time investment.  I made the mistake one year of choosing a plan that required too many hours and felt really defeated when I couldn't hit the targets of the planned training.  You need to be realistic about how much time you'll have to train.   With two small kids - that might be a challenge.  Also - my goal for my first oly was to finish but there are plans that are based on where you are at in your training (beginner, intermediate etc) and so you may select one based on your time goals.  Have fun with the planning! 
2011-01-11 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3291713

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

kimmax - 2011-01-11 6:53 AM
Havajava - 2011-01-10 10:16 PM Thanks mike I love ur smart goals that's so great for life.So I get that there are training programs 16-20 weeks before my race but 1 how do I know which to choose? And 2 now should I just be randomly running biking swimming? Or is there a more organized pre training training?

I think it depends on what you hope to accomplish.  I tend to go with a longer plan because I want to feel prepared.  I also like the detailed workouts so I know what to do in each workout.  I don't train with power or a HRM and so try to find plans that are RPE based.  And lastly - I chose based on the time investment.  I made the mistake one year of choosing a plan that required too many hours and felt really defeated when I couldn't hit the targets of the planned training.  You need to be realistic about how much time you'll have to train.   With two small kids - that might be a challenge.  Also - my goal for my first oly was to finish but there are plans that are based on where you are at in your training (beginner, intermediate etc) and so you may select one based on your time goals.  Have fun with the planning! 

x2

Take into consideration your time commitments first, then look for a plan that fits that.  I have a fairly aggressive 10-12 hour per week training plan that I know for sure I'm not going to always meet, but I'm ready for that.  Many of the free training plans on BT don't have detailed workouts, which is OK but I'd rather have the detail (which is one of the reasons I'm a Silver member).  It's also OK to take one and modify it to your needs.  I also like the longer plans because they really prepare you and if life intervenes for a few days you don't lose 10% of your race prep.

Once you decide on a training plan, focus on what you need to do to be ready to start that plan.  Unless you're doing a "Couch to" program, the plan is going to assume a certain level of fitness.  My plan assumes I could complete an Olympic distance race to start, so I've been using the off-season to prepare for that level of training.  Unfortunately the last 5-6 weeks have been a mess for me workout-wise so I'm a bit behind where I want to me.  Off-season workouts are often used for:

1. Recovery
  2. Building a base
  3. Addressing limiters
  4. Strength Training
  5. Working on form

My Nov - Feb plan was to do 3, 4, and 5, then start my official BT plan mid-Feb.

Another thing to consider when choosing a plan is how structured you'd like the training to be.  Some plans follow the same schedule week after week (i.e. long run Monday, swim/bike brick Tuesday, etc.) while some (including mine) don't have any particular pattern.

Let us know what you decide and make sure you log your workouts!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60