General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero tt helmets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-01 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Aero tt helmets

I am not sure if this has been asked yet. I was wondering how many of you use aero helmets on training rides and on your tri's? Are there any real benefits to these helmets. I just wear a rugular helmet. I keep hearing through all the searching I am doing that you save secounds to even minutes by wearing one of these. Also hear that some aero helmets are better than others such as helmets with covered ears and longer shapes fair better than shorter tear drop shapes with no ear covers.

Is there any testing done or truth to the aero helmets working, I am interested in getting one. But have not decided on which one. To those of you that ride with them, what brands are they and how do you like them. Just trying to get some feedback from everyone that has experienced a change in their times by wearing one of these.

Andy

2011-04-01 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3425124

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Aero tt helmets

There's another long thread going right now that discusses this very topic.  I suggest reading through it for some good info (and a lot of bad info).

I race in an aero helmet.  They're the best "bang for the buck" aero investment.  The speed gains are real and measurable, but not huge.  Regardless of how fast/slow you are, you will most likely benefit from an aero helmet.  There are a couple of professional triathletes who choose not to wear one for Ironman, but that's mostly because they're so fast that they can still win without it, not because it wouldn't make them faster. 

I can't think of any good reason to wear one on training rides.  Like disc wheels, they're a race day accessory.

2011-04-01 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
2011-04-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3425135

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
AndrewMT - 2011-04-01 10:34 AM

There's another long thread going right now that discusses this very topic.  I suggest reading through it for some good info (and a lot of bad info).

I race in an aero helmet.  They're the best "bang for the buck" aero investment.  The speed gains are real and measurable, but not huge.  Regardless of how fast/slow you are, you will most likely benefit from an aero helmet.  There are a couple of professional triathletes who choose not to wear one for Ironman, but that's mostly because they're so fast that they can still win without it, not because it wouldn't make them faster. 

I can't think of any good reason to wear one on training rides.  Like disc wheels, they're a race day accessory.

Uhm, no, this doesn't make sense. You might as well say they don't need race wheels either because they are fast enough to win without them. They are all pros and all want every benefit they can. Some choose to go with a regular helmet due to heat/other issues, NOT because they are fine leaving free speed on the table...

2011-04-01 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3425245

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
louiskie - 2011-04-01 12:30 PM

Uhm, no, this doesn't make sense. You might as well say they don't need race wheels either because they are fast enough to win without them. They are all pros and all want every benefit they can. Some choose to go with a regular helmet due to heat/other issues, NOT because they are fine leaving free speed on the table...

They may want every benefit they can get but that doesn't mean that they will make the best decisions in every case. Some riders will not wear an aero helmet in Kona but if you look at how they ride, they are typically sitting in the middle of the legal group so they don't need to try to grab every aero advantage. Compare that to the riders that go off the front and almost all will wear an aero helmet as they want to build the biggest lead possible on the bike.

There are also pros who use poor tires, poorly glued tubulars, bike frames that preform much worse than competitor's bikes, etc, etc, etc. Pros, just like AGers, often leave free speed on the table; in some cases for valid reasons, in some cases because of sponsorship dollars, in some cases because of mythology.

Shane
2011-04-01 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
yarislab - 2011-04-01 11:29 AM

Is there any testing done or truth to the aero helmets working, I am interested in getting one.

I have tested two helmets on my tribike using the Chung method. After several trials, and using my road helmet as a baseline, here are my results:

LG Prologue (very early model aero helmet) - .3 to .5s/km faster than baseline
Giro Advantage 2 - ~1 to 1.5s/km faster than baseline

This is over five days where I would do several trials with each helmet while maintaining the same position.

Except for the testing, I never train with an aerohelmet as I see no benefit and it seems as though it would offer less protection in the event of a crash.

Shane

2011-04-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3425277

User image

gsmacleod - 2011-04-01 11:44 AM

Some riders will not wear an aero helmet in Kona but if you look at how they ride, they are typically sitting in the middle of the legal group so they don't need to try to grab every aero advantage. Compare that to the riders that go off the front and almost all will wear an aero helmet as they want to build the biggest lead possible on the bike.

You mean like Chrissie Wellington and Craig Alexander?
2011-04-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3425296

User image

Champion
DanielG - 2011-04-01 12:53 PM

You mean like Chrissie Wellington and Craig Alexander?

Chrissie doesn't need every aero advantage because even though she rides off the front of the women's race, she rides so far off the front that gaining every second isn't as important to her. If we see a closer race on the women's side in the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see her adopt an aerohelmet.

As for Craig Alexander, he doesn't ride off the front but rather sits in the legal group and then runs everyone down. Again, no need to grab every aero advantage. Until, of course, like this year, someone pays attention to gaining every aerodynamic advantage, rides off the front and holds you off for the win.

Shane
2011-04-01 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
louiskie - 2011-04-01 10:30 AM

No, I stand with my original comments.  They choose to go without the incremental benefit of an aero helmet in order to capitalize on some extra cooling and/or comfort.

2011-04-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3425296

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

DanielG - 2011-04-01 10:53 AM You mean like Chrissie Wellington and Craig Alexander?

Do you really think Chrissie riding a P2 in previous years was an optimal aerodynamic choice over a P3, P4, or other brand/model? Being genetically gifted and driven to train and succeed are not predictors of optimal gear selection.

Back to the aero helmet topic, many pros give up the aerodynamic benefits of the helmet at Kona for the better airflow and cooling of a normal road helmet.

Edited by dgunthert 2011-04-01 11:16 AM
2011-04-01 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Agreed.  I am pretty sure that those who don't wear the aero helmets are doing so out of concern for over heating.

They are known to offer a little less air flow over the scalp, but no one has demonstrated whether or not there is a penalty due to heat or at what temperature the break-even would be at. 

But wind tunnel testing has demonstrated the aero advantage.

2011-04-01 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Andy,

Trying to get back to one of your questions - Which helmet - While each helmet manufacturer makes theirs seem the fastest, they are only fast if they fit your head and riding style.

I just went aero this year and sizing is much harder than for a typical helmet. My experience is that it kind of is a "one size fits some" approach and some will end up with huge gaps over your ears.

Also the tail length and how it fits in relationship to your back is a big deal. People talk about curvature of the back to determine fit. Also, if you tend to keep your head down "looking at your wheel" for a long period of time, a long tail will make you less aero.

I'm not sure what your options are, but if you go to a good tri shop, you can test out various models and find one that fits best and that is the place to start for going faster. One other thing, I've really worked on head position this year while on the trainer. It may sound stupid but I placed my laptop so that the screen required me to be in the best position for my helmet.

If you ride with your head down, you may just want to wear a skateboard style helmet and see if that is faster.
2011-04-01 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Another thing to consider is ventilation.  I can clearly feel the difference and wonder if the lack of ventilation causes over heating which negates any time savings.  I wore my aero helmet for IM COZ and wish I hadn't due to the heat but that's just my opinion.

2011-04-01 12:24 PM

people must remember a few things with aero helmets. We are age groupers, not pros.  Not insulting anyone, but chances are good we are not reaching our maximum potential power output on the bike portion.  

For the average age grouper, you are better focusing on increasing your power and staying in aero than aero wheels and aero helmet.  Most tests have shown that areo helmet benefits really add up when going more than 18mph.  

It's funny when you see people with aero helmets and not in the aero position on a flat section.  

(also you have to make sure you have the right head position when in aero and with a aero helmet)

Edited by iOrlando 2011-04-01 12:25 PM
2011-04-01 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Even among pro cyclists in TT (no running off the bike), aero considerations are a compromise. Look at videos of TdF TT's & you'll see many pro riders in less than ideal aero positions.  The absolute most aero position/gear/etc. is often NOT the best overall choice for that particular athlete under the specific conditions of that race.  A bit less aero position might be faster overall if it lets the rider generate more power or be more comfortable throughout the ride (i.e. not needing to sit up (PARACHUTE) during the stage).

Most wind tunnel testing I've read shows aero helmets are faster, but only if worn properly.  If rider is constantly turning the head sideways, the aero helm's tail becomes a sail.  And most aero helm's are not as well ventilated as better road helm's.  Advantage during cold Spring events, but not so much during Summer heat.

Not sure I agree with the statement that top pro's often give up "free speed" in their choice of equipment.  With their time, $$, & coaching, I think they have prob worked out what is fastest overall for their games.  I would never presume to question top pro athletes re choice of road vs aero helm @ Kona, nor reigning 70.3 World Champ Jodie Swallow's equipment choice for her effort at Clearwater.   I would guess that her sponsor Specialized would have MUCH preferred her to be riding their Transition with TT2 aero helm rather than a (horrors!!!) roadie (Tarmac) with aerobars and a road helmet.

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCWhatsNewDetail.jsp?article=8772&refp=USHome&menuItemId=8737&articleType=CompanyNews

Edited by Oldteen 2011-04-01 12:26 PM
2011-04-01 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3425463

User image

Champion
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 2:24 PM

For the average age grouper, you are better focusing on increasing your power and staying in aero than aero wheels and aero helmet.

Why can't an athlete do both? Train and be as aero as possible?

Most tests have shown that areo helmet benefits really add up when going more than 18mph.

This is incorrect.

(also you have to make sure you have the right head position when in aero and with a aero helmet)

There are some tests that showed this and others that show that an aero helmet, even tail up, is faster than a road helmet.

Shane

2011-04-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3425345

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
AndrewMT - 2011-04-01 12:14 PM

No, I stand with my original comments.  They choose to go without the incremental benefit of an aero helmet in order to capitalize on some extra cooling and/or comfort.

Your original comments said they gave up the benefit of the aero helmets because they were fast enough to win without it. It didn't say anything about cooling and comfort (which is what I and others have said since then). It doesn't really matter- I just thought it was funny that you pointed out all the bad info and then propogated more bad info. Wink

2011-04-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3425489

gsmacleod - 2011-04-01 1:36 PM
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 2:24 PM For the average age grouper, you are better focusing on increasing your power and staying in aero than aero wheels and aero helmet.
Most tests have shown that areo helmet benefits really add up when going more than 18mph.
This is incorrect.
There are some tests that showed this and others that show that an aero helmet, even tail up, is faster than a road helmet. Shane

The OP sounded like they were wondering if aero helmets were worth the investment, i.e. he doesn't have unlimited funds to buy random aero things.  Accordingly, if he is after the most efficient use of money to gain speed, my recommendation is to buy an indoor trainer and work on power and not spend the $200 on an aero helmet.  If you had unlimited funds, sure buy the aero helmet, but don't think it will be some magically object that will make you so much faster. 

I have a feeling any data point I put out there concerning MPH and aero helmets, you will say is incorrect. Wink           I stand by my initial statement.  

For the average age group...aero helmets wont matter one bit.  They spend too much time out of aero, brake on hills, and go slow around turns.  Heck, I do all of those....and accordingly I recognize that I will buy an aero helmet when I feel I have trained enough so that my average power output and biking ability has progressed to such a point that marginal gains become harder without some additional aero advantages. I'm not at that point yet.  

2011-04-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3425489

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

gsmacleod - 2011-04-01 1:36 PM
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 2:24 PM For the average age grouper, you are better focusing on increasing your power and staying in aero than aero wheels and aero helmet.
This is incorrect.
There are some tests that showed this and others that show that an aero helmet, even tail up, is faster than a road helmet. Shane

Indeed, Cobb has suggested (among other places, here) that tail up is at least sometimes faster than tail down (aero helmet in both cases)!  Friel, if I recall correctly, speculated that this is because tail up gets the bulk of your head below the shoulders.  If that explanation is right, then turtling is probably best of all, and a preference for turtling certainly seems to be the current conventional wisdom (with which I agree).

(In any case, don't ride head down!)

2011-04-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3425531

User image

Champion
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 2:57 PM

I have a feeling any data point I put out there concerning MPH and aero helmets, you will say is incorrect. 

Not if you have good data.

For the average age group...aero helmets wont matter one bit.  They spend too much time out of aero, brake on hills, and go slow around turns.  Heck, I do all of those....and accordingly I recognize that I will buy an aero helmet when I feel I have trained enough so that my average power output and biking ability has progressed to such a point that marginal gains become harder without some additional aero advantages. I'm not at that point yet.  

Which is great and works for you. However, there are others who train as much as they can and then try to take advantage of speed gains that can be had through wise equipment choices such as tires, tubes, wheels, frames, skin suits, aerohelmets, etc.

Shane
in reply to: #3425531

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 1:57 PM

I see this sentiment here all the time and I just don't get it.  Is there some reason that I can't both own an aero helmet and train hard?  If the aero helmet really is more aerodynamic for a given rider (and I have heard that a very few people test worse with one -- I'd suggest that they might be candidates for an improved fit...), then it will provide 'marginal gains' regardless of training, regardless of speed.

I'm all in favor of training harder and riding smarter.  Those things can be done while owning and racing with an aero helmet.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thank you everyone for the feedback!!! Its much appreciated.

I tend to ride with my head up looking at the road about 98% of the time only looking down to give my neck a break. I have been looking at some helmets that are more ventilated than others. I am sure they are not as fast as non ventilated helmets. I would only be using this on race days, just looking for an extra advantage. I am a light guy being 5'9" 145lbs. I ride anywhere form 19-22mph steady in my training unless i get to a hill or incline then speed changes.

Andy

2011-04-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3425556

Experior - 2011-04-01 2:07 PM
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 1:57 PM

I see this sentiment here all the time and I just don't get it.  Is there some reason that I can't both own an aero helmet and train hard?  If the aero helmet really is more aerodynamic for a given rider (and I have heard that a very few people test worse with one -- I'd suggest that they might be candidates for an improved fit...), then it will provide 'marginal gains' regardless of training, regardless of speed.

I'm all in favor of training harder and riding smarter.  Those things can be done while owning and racing with an aero helmet.

\

I think the reason you keep seeing this here is we see it first hand in races. People wearing aero helmets but not in the aero position throughout the race.    

I think the other side of it is the way the question is often asked.  People dont say...I just cant seem to get my bike time down...i train and train...and I average top 10% of my races.  Instead, its of the tone...how about them aero helmets..will they make me faster.  I guess some jump to conclusion and think that this person should just focus on getting better speed first on their own and not worry about aero helmets.  

2011-04-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3425580

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
iOrlando - 2011-04-01 11:15 AM 

I think the reason you keep seeing this here is we see it first hand in races. People wearing aero helmets but not in the aero position throughout the race.    

I think the other side of it is the way the question is often asked.  People dont say...I just cant seem to get my bike time down...i train and train...and I average top 10% of my races.  Instead, its of the tone...how about them aero helmets..will they make me faster.  I guess some jump to conclusion and think that this person should just focus on getting better speed first on their own and not worry about aero helmets.  

Ugh....here we go again with this argument. No, you are wrong.

Wearing an aero helmet is faster than not wearing one. Period. Doesn't matter what position you are in, short of riding backwards. So the argument that riders who don't stay in aero, don't benefit from an aero helmet is wrong. You honestly think that a standard non aero helment is faster than an aero helmet when used in identical fashions? That's why they are called "aero" helmets.

There is no reason for someone to not pay attention to their equipment. It's not a "worry" to make good equipment choices. It's laziness. It's a feeling that you are not "fast" therefore it must not matter...such BS. Making equipment choices has NOTHING to do with training....let me say it again, it has NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, ZIP to do with training.The OP made NO mention of available funds. He did not ask a "which is better question" because I only have X dollars. YOU inferred that. He simply asked if aero helmets work....the answer is yes. You will be faster with an aero helmet over a standard road helmet.....period. It's been proven....over and over and over.

2011-04-01 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Yikes!!! We need a group hug up in here!! LOL
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero tt helmets Rss Feed  

of 2