General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Commuting - Tips & Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-11 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: Bicycle Commuting - Tips & Advice

What tips and/or advice do you have for commuting on a bike?

Starting sometime this week, I'm going to be commuting to work on bike.  I'm still working out some of the details on the best route, but I'm expecting it to be about ~15mi each way; I'm hoping that the extra 30mi/day will be a good supplement to my bike training. 

Some pertinent info:
-  I'll be riding a nice road bike (custom steel frame, DA7800, etc.) with a powerful headlamp and tail light. 
-  I'm planning on packing my clothes/gear for work in a backpack and hoping that they don't get too wrinkled.  I work in a very professional environment (slacks, shirt, tie, etc). 
-  We have a locker room for showering, but the lockers aren't for all day use. 
-  Not sure where to store the bike during the day.  I'm tempted to keep it in my office, but I doubt that will go over well.
-  Route selection: it's going to be heavy traffic no matter what I choose.  Debating wheter it's best to go far out of my way for better roads or just take the most direct route to limit time exposure. 

2011-04-11 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3439430

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-11 9:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Bicycle Commuting - Tips & Advice

I've been bike commuting for a couple years now and I wear slacks/dress shirt nearly every day.

Carrying stuff: I use an Eagle Creek Pack-it Folder to carry my shirt and pants and never have a problem with wrinkles.  I also am able to put a proper rear rack on my road bike (eyelets on the rear dropouts) so I use a pannier (or two, depending on how much I'm hauling) to keep the load off my back.  Before I got a rack though, a backpack worked just fine though a little hot in TX summer.

Work Clothes: I normally leave my dress shoes at work along with my belt and usually my slacks if I plan to wear them again the next day.  That way, I only need to bring in a shirt, socks, and boxers the next day.  Not carrying shoes, pants, and belt back and forth saves a good bit of weight.

Bike storage: I bring my bike into my office without an issue.  It's a nice conversation starter too.  Just be sure to keep your bike relatively clean so no one looks at you sideways for wheeling your crusty bike into the office.  If this really isn't an option or you, find a shaded, well-trafficked palce to lock your bike.  Leaving your lock on the rack will also help you save the weight of toting a lock back and forth.

Route: That's up to you.

Repairs: Do NOT rely on CO2.  Carry a pump.  A commute isn't a race so those precious seconds aren't as critical.  I always carry 2 tubes just in case I have a really bad commute one-way and keep another in my desk with a patch kit.

And yes...fenders are awesome.

2011-04-11 9:22 AM

Master
Denison Texas
I use to commute 4 out of 5 days, one day was for leaving a weeks worth of clothing an bringing home dirty clothes. Be imaginative, you might be surprised how easy it really is. Most people will be very tolerant of you-gives them someone to talk about when you aren't there
2011-04-11 9:22 AM

, Texas

I've been a part-time commuter for a few years now and here is what I can think of:

• Roll your clothes rather than fold them. Be sure there are no creases when rolling and you have a good chance of being ok. Having said that, I'm usually in shorts & a polo shirt so I may be way off with your attire. You may be able to get some kind of steam effect by hanging your clothes just outside your shower.
  • Panniers over a backpack. Living in TX, you'll appreciate it. Your bike will handle much differently, but having panniers is pure freedom. It took me 2 years to figure this out.
  • Earlier you can leave (both ways) the better. There is a point were traffic increases exponentially.
  • Two lights up front; one flashing and one steady, very bright if you're on streets without street lights.
  • Two lights in the rear. You'll never see it if one quits on you (or flies off)
  • Know when and where the sun rises/sets. Cars do not see you if the sun is behind you at sun rise/set. Almost all of my close calls were in this situation.

Route is very location specific. I currently commute 20 mi each way in suburbs. I have no problem finding 4-lane low traffic 30-35mph roads. Where I don't, I'm riding in the neighborhoods. This creates alot of start/stop at stop signs, but the risk is low. I also cross major streets at stop signs whenever possible. I ride through 2 lights on my 20mi route. I really don't want to be clumped in on the street with a bunch of cars, many of which are in a hurry. When I did have to be on major roads, I'd keep the distance short and time the lights such that traffic was in my favor.

I commute on my tri bike (10 yr old Litespeed) and lock it up at the parking garage entrance. At a past building, I'd bring it in as this is ideal, but I'm comfortable with my bike locked up outside the office. There is also a guy with a Bob Jackson roadie that rides some and parks in the same area. Again, this depends on your location.

Edited by camy 2011-04-11 9:29 AM
2011-04-11 9:37 AM

Elite
Spring, TX

Great stuff!  I'm planning on testing this out tomorrow, so it sounds like I'll need to hit the bike shop on the way home.

My notes so far:
-  More lights, brighter lights!
-  Leave clothes at work.
-  Roll clothes or use something like the Eagle Creek Pack it Folder
-  Panniers.  I cringe when I think about this one, but function over style...
-  Get a hand pump

I generally leave about 630 on most days, so I plan on moving that back to 6.  Unfortunately, it will still be a little dark, which worries me.  I'm also worried about heat/humidity in the evenings after 10-12 hours in the office.  Houston can be oppressive...

2011-04-11 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3439544

Elite
Spring, TX
wgraves7582 - 2011-04-11 8:49 AM

To me the biggest challenge is to make sure I have enough calories in me to get me home (20 miles but home bound goes from Lake Erie to one of the highest points in Erie County - 1500' or so (and most of that is in the last 5 miles)

Sounds like a beautiful commute!  Hope you enjoy it.  We just have flat concrete here...

2011-04-11 1:24 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

My thoughts:

If you can get some panniers of some kind, do.  Get good reliable waterproof ones.  They beat a backpack hands down for comfort and your back is less likely to be dripping with sweat when you get there until the temps are 100+ -- then it's inevitable...).

I generally take brief 'long-cuts' to avoid bad traffic areas, but otherwise take the shortest route.  Quality of road isn't really an issue for me (apart from width).  Quality of drivers is.

I store my bike in my office.  It goes behind the door, and when the door is open, it is almost entirely hidden by the door and a chair.  (But the atmosphere where I work is probably considerably more relaxed about that sort of thing.)

2011-04-11 1:31 PM

Regular
Chicago

Besides bringing work clothes for the week, I also permanently keep a two pairs of dress shoes at my office.

good luck! hope it works out for you.

2011-04-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3439680

2011-04-11 2:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

I recommend the Topeak Road Morph G for a hand pump.  I never had much luck rolling clothes but maybe I'm just no good at it.

Ride safe tomorrow!!

2011-04-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3440580

Elite
Spring, TX
Tyrell - 2011-04-11 2:59 PM

Ride safe tomorrow!!

Houston isn't quite as bike friendly as Austin...has me a bit nervous.  I ride on the roads all the time, but never during rush hour!

2011-04-11 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3440622

Master
PNW
AndrewMT - 2011-04-11 1:12 PM

Ride safe tomorrow!!

Houston isn't quite as bike friendly as Austin...has me a bit nervous.  I ride on the roads all the time, but never during rush hour!

I don't know about Houston in particular, but the last two places I've lived - riding in rush hour traffic was actually EASIER in many ways than riding at other times.  This is because when you are clearly commuting on a bike, I think people in cars view you differently.  You are no longer an 'annoying elitist cyclist out on MY roads getting in MY way'...you are now just "some dude who uses a bike to get to work".  At least, this has been my experience.   Put a bag on my bike (or my back) and people in cars treat me differently than when I'm dressed in lycra and clearly riding for recreation or training.

Other things to keep at work - extra food, towel, toiletries, extra underwear/socks.  You never know when these things will come in handy!

2011-04-11 3:42 PM

The absolute first thing I would consider working out is a safe place to store/lock your bike.  Everything else is meaningless if it means your bike could get stolen.  Either that or ride a bike that you don't mind getting stolen...with DA on your bike...I doubt that's the case.

2011-04-11 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3440622

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
AndrewMT - 2011-04-11 3:12 PM

Ride safe tomorrow!!

I undertand.  Grew up in Houston area.

My commute is so easy nowadays....bike lane all the way to daycare drop off and then 50% of the way to work after that.  I <3 Austin.

2011-04-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3440709

Elite
Spring, TX
tri808 - 2011-04-11 3:42 PM

The absolute first thing I would consider working out is a safe place to store/lock your bike.  Everything else is meaningless if it means your bike could get stolen.  Either that or ride a bike that you don't mind getting stolen...with DA on your bike...I doubt that's the case.

Yeah, I checked with my boss today just to ensure it would be okay to keep it in my office.  No way I'm leaving it outside unattended...

2011-04-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3440734

Elite
Spring, TX
Tyrell - 2011-04-11 3:52 PM
AndrewMT - 2011-04-11 3:12 PM

Ride safe tomorrow!!

I undertand.  Grew up in Houston area.

My commute is so easy nowadays....bike lane all the way to daycare drop off and then 50% of the way to work after that.  I

Know of any jobs!

2011-04-11 4:23 PM

Master
Bedford, MA

I definitely recommend (along with others) to leave some clothes at work. I made that mistake twice in my first year of bike commuting and had to go 'comando' under my pants (it was either that or keep my bib shorts on during the day!).

So, if you can leave some of the essentials: belt(s), socks, underwear, shoes, maybe an extra shirt or a pair of pants as well.

I'm a teacher and can keep my bike in my classroom - it's definitely a conversation starter each morning: did you ride today?

2011-04-11 4:30 PM

Master
, California

I just started doing the same thing.  We're not allowed to bring bikes into the offices, but in the parking garage the bike racks are right in front of where the attendant is.  A lot of bike commuters just leave their locks attached to a rack when they go home.

My ride is about the most varied you can imagine.  Big hills getting out of my place.  Fast traffic exiting my town.  Bike-only path for the middle third of the commute across the bridge.  Massive wind on the bridge.  And then downtown city traffic heading into work.

Ride your commute round-trip off peak hours on a weekend sometime and get familiar with it.  I found several alternate streets to avoid some of the really dangerous traffic spots.  But you don't want to be messing around with something new when you're trying to get to work on time.

2011-04-11 5:26 PM

Master
Portland, Oregon

I found that leaving early I missed most traffic, and when I didn't, the commuter traffic was all jammed up and slow. I rode faster than they drove through the congested areas. When everyone is going slow, they usually see you better too.

Hope it works well for you!

2011-04-11 7:29 PM

Elite
Spring, TX

Apparently there's a difference between race bikes and regular road bikes.  I went by the shop today to pick up a frame and some panniers only to find out that they require a bolt somewhere near the rear brake that I don't have.  Looks like it'll be a backpack for now until I can get it figured out.

I drove the route (backwards) on the way home today.  It was the peak of rush hour, so it shouldn't get much worse that what I saw.  Very doable!

Prepped the bike.  Only one (very powerful) light up front, but three in the back, plus a reflective belt. 2x tubes/CO2.

Seems like I'm overthinking this, but anything I'm forgetting?

2011-04-11 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3441095

2011-04-11 7:59 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
As previous poster said, there are different mounting systems.  Hunt around and you should find something that works.  And enjoy the ride.  I really like commuting in, and I do think it contributes to overall fitness.  You know this, but it bears repeating:  even though the intensity during a commute tends to be lower, still the initial increase in volume will be fairly large (if you start off doing it every weekday) -- be aware of the impact that it will have on your 'regular' training.
2011-04-11 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3441154

Elite
Spring, TX

Experior - 2011-04-11 7:59 PM As previous poster said, there are different mounting systems.  Hunt around and you should find something that works.  And enjoy the ride.  I really like commuting in, and I do think it contributes to overall fitness.  You know this, but it bears repeating:  even though the intensity during a commute tends to be lower, still the initial increase in volume will be fairly large (if you start off doing it every weekday) -- be aware of the impact that it will have on your 'regular' training.

The shop talked me out of the mounting system that Bill mentioned, stating that it wouldn't be secure enough.  I might give it a shot; I don't carry a whole lot, so weight shouldn't be an issue.

Michael, I'm going to interested to see how it impacts my training.  I figure an extra 150 miles/week will help one way or another, but I don't want it to degrade the quality of my other workouts. 

2011-04-11 9:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

Do NOT get a seatpost rack if you're planning to hang panniers (or even just one pannier on it).

I don't have a hole near my brake either but you can make-do using a p-clip from your local hardware store.  I use one p-clip on the right side of the frame with a bolt and nut to hold the sliding metal adjuster in place and secure the two bolts at the bottom of the rack to the holes in my rear dropouts designated for a rack.  They also make racks which attach to the skewer if you don't have rack-mount bosses on your drop-outs.

Here's a pic of my p-clip setup

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Commuting - Tips & Advice Rss Feed  

of 2