General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-11 8:43 AM

User image

NC
Subject: Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride

So, this is the second time this has happened.  I'm out on the popular bike loop minding my own business going very, very slowly.  As I take a quick glance over my shoulder, there is a guy on my wheel.  Close.  Due to the aforementioned slowness, this surprises/shocks me.  The only reason this sort of bothers me is that I don't know someone is back there to annouce if I'm slowing or stopping or otherwise swerving around out of control.

The question is: should the uninvited drafter announce their presence or should I just get over it?  Thank you.

2011-04-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3439531

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Subject: RE: Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride
If he really is drafting (not sure why he would at slow speed) then I say yes. Announce his presence and ask if you mind. If you don't want him back there just announce your intention to stop and then let him go around.
2011-04-11 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Tap your brakes hard every time he gets within a few inches of your back tire.  That'll show him.
2011-04-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3439631

User image

NC

apicek - 2011-04-11 10:21 AM Tap your brakes hard every time he gets within a few inches of your back tire.  That'll show him.

So it's just like driving a car.  I like this.

2011-04-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3439651

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Goosedog - 2011-04-11 9:27 AM

apicek - 2011-04-11 10:21 AM Tap your brakes hard every time he gets within a few inches of your back tire.  That'll show him.

So it's just like driving a car.  I like this.

He should absolutely be asking you before gluing to your wheel, but I'm not a fan of this.  If he's even moderately close, a quick tap of the brakes will be enough to cause his front wheel to hit you.  Shouldn't be a problem for you, but this can likely cause a wreck for him.  As nice as the vindication would be, it's just as easy to pull to the side as have a quick discussion about proper ettiquite. 

2011-04-11 9:52 AM

New user

That would be the perfect time to empty your nasal passages. That should help him peel off.

I would say if you don't know him, it's pretty weird. I can't imagine myself creepin' up behind someone I don't know and stealing their wind. Just ask him if he needs something and if not to please go around.

2011-04-11 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

What? You don’t ride with a gun?

Seriously, I’m in the camp of,,, he is being rude, just come to an even stop and let him pass.

2011-04-11 10:05 AM

If the rider is drafting or even riding that close, then they should have come along side and asked first.

If I don't want someone drafting, I inform them that I am on a training ride and will be changing speeds frequently so it would not be safe for them to ride that close. Then I tell them if they want to draft someone they should always ask first for the safety of both riders. That has always worked for me.
2011-04-11 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Try to muster-up some nasty flatulence...

I'm a big guy who can hold a good pace on the flats, so I often find people drafting un-announced.  I just try to ride them off my wheel. (I barely ever do, but it makes me try harder).. It doesn't bother me that they're back there, they must think I know what I'm doing...

2011-04-11 10:38 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
It happens to me fairly often out here and it annoys the crap out of me.  I don't know you, I'm not on a group ride, go away.  I either drop the hammer or sit up and slow all the way down.  And then give the look of death of course.  It's never cool to get on someone elses wheel without telling them.  NEVER.  Unless your in a group ride of course then you should be expecting it.
2011-04-11 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
It's happened to me a couple of times.  I'm mostly amazed that anyone would want to draft off of me as slow as I am. 

I just figure they were taking a break and I  presented a pretty big object to draft behind.

Mark

2011-04-11 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
My brother always put it this way.  Would you walk into a restaurant and just sit down with people you do not know as they were eating their meals and join them?  It does not matter if you are riding by yourself or on a group ride if someone wants to draft/join you they should ask first.  Do not get rude about it, but nicely just ask them to back off, go around, or pull over.
2011-04-11 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania

I never mind when someone asks to join in behind me, especially if I am already in a paceline with some other guys I know. 

But I *HATE* when people draft unannounced.  Last weekend I was riding my tribike on the local paved path and I didnt even know it but some guy came in behind me and drafted me for 5 miles.  I had no idea he was back there as I had an aero-helmet on which covered my ears and at 22mph I couldnt really hear anything behind me anyway.  When I get to a pre-arranged stopping place where my group always pauses for people to catch up I start slowing down and just barely see the shadow of a helmet behind me.  I was about to hit the brakes hard.  Glad I noticed. 

The unannounced drafter passes by after staring at me... not even so much as a "thanks for the pull"...but worse yet he was on a P2 and in the aerobars...  Drafting unannounced in the aerobars is a good way to get EVERYONE hurt...

2011-04-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3439631

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

apicek - 2011-04-11 8:21 AM Tap your brakes hard every time he gets within a few inches of your back tire.  That'll show him.

I hope this is a joke as somebody could get hurt.  That said, I expect someone to tell me if they want to suck my wheel.  If they don't I will politely ask them to take a turn and pull.  If they want to be a dick abouot it a snot rocket will go their way!

2011-04-11 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Depending on what type of workout I'm doing I'd either just motion him around me (on a long easy ride) or hit the turbo button and lose him. No way would I just continue pulling along a complete stranger (especially an unannounced one).
2011-04-11 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Flatulence and snot rockets may be fair game, but tapping on your breaks is downright nasty.  You could very well take him out, and that's far too big of a punishment for someone just catching a little draft off you.  Drafting is fair game in road cycling- but it's appropriate to announce your presence "I'm on your wheel".

2011-04-11 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Goosedog - 2011-04-11 8:43 AM

So, this is the second time this has happened.  I'm out on the popular bike loop minding my own business going very, very slowly.  As I take a quick glance over my shoulder, there is a guy on my wheel.  Close.  Due to the aforementioned slowness, this surprises/shocks me.  The only reason this sort of bothers me is that I don't know someone is back there to annouce if I'm slowing or stopping or otherwise swerving around out of control.

The question is: should the uninvited drafter announce their presence or should I just get over it?  Thank you.

I personally think it's rude to just draft off a strangers wheel without saying something.

Next time, turn around and say something to him/her. It doesn't have to be rude... but maybe just say, "Hi". I have told people to go around me, as I don't like strangers up my wheel.

2011-04-11 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Circle Pines
I agree that slamming on the brakes is the wrong answer.  I'd probably just move over and get on his back wheel for a bit to see how he reacts.
2011-04-11 1:11 PM

New user

In my opinion, yes they should ask if it's ok.. The sneak attack is wrong.

2011-04-11 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I ride a very popular bike loop. There have been several occasions where someone has zoomed past me and then eased up or slowed to take a drink, and I have ended up creeping up on them although I stay a few feet to the left or right. I'm not trying to race them, so I just figure that if I pass them, fine. Or, they can speed up or slow down.

Was I riding their wheel?

One guy kept pulling away from me only to have me creep up on him again and again. Another time, the guy got a calf cramp and pulled over to the side.

2011-04-11 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Same thing happened to me last weekend! The wind was blowing pretty good out here in West Texas and I was heading straight into it. I happened to look down at one point and noticed there were a few extra shadows on the ground. I got out of my aero bars and there were 3 people behind me. I have no idea how long they were back there, but I know they ended up staying there awhile. I dont mind pulling them along at all, but they at least need to come up and take a turn!!

2011-04-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3439938

User image

noofus - 2011-04-11 12:15 PM

I never mind when someone asks to join in behind me, especially if I am already in a paceline with some other guys I know. 

But I *HATE* when people draft unannounced.  Last weekend I was riding my tribike on the local paved path and I didnt even know it but some guy came in behind me and drafted me for 5 miles.  I had no idea he was back there as I had an aero-helmet on which covered my ears and at 22mph I couldnt really hear anything behind me anyway.  When I get to a pre-arranged stopping place where my group always pauses for people to catch up I start slowing down and just barely see the shadow of a helmet behind me.  I was about to hit the brakes hard.  Glad I noticed. 

The unannounced drafter passes by after staring at me... not even so much as a "thanks for the pull"...but worse yet he was on a P2 and in the aerobars...  Drafting unannounced in the aerobars is a good way to get EVERYONE hurt...

You forgot the part where he gave the bizarre look after I commented that it would be nice to ask permission to suck wheel in the future.  He was a piece of work.  Shame you didn't notice it sooner and drop him hard.

2011-04-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3439964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
rayd - 2011-04-11 12:22 PM

apicek - 2011-04-11 8:21 AM Tap your brakes hard every time he gets within a few inches of your back tire.  That'll show him.

I hope this is a joke as somebody could get hurt.  That said, I expect someone to tell me if they want to suck my wheel.  If they don't I will politely ask them to take a turn and pull.  If they want to be a dick abouot it a snot rocket will go their way!

It was sort of a "tap the brakes" joke.  In a car, you can activate your brake lights without actually applying your brakes and scare off a tailgater.  Not really easy to that on the bike though.

2011-04-11 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

I was wondering this also!  I did a supported 50m ride last weekend (on my tri bike) just zooming along by myself.  Turn around at one point and see I am pulling 8 guys.  They "let me" pull for another 10 minutes until they stopped at one of the rest stops.  They never announced they were behind me or offered a turn at the front.  I am sure they didn't want me in thier pace line but they had no problem drafting off me!  Oh well...at least they did it when we were riding with the wind!

2011-04-11 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

There absolutely is an established etiquette for this: When one rider catches another rider or a small group the established etiquette, as related to me by several coaches from the European system (Walter G at the OTC, Mike Walden, Michael R. Rabe, Pierre in Belgium), is to go to the front to assert your presence in the group. As the catching rider, you owe the group a pull at the front, even if you just go through the rotation once, to let them know you are there.

In an organized system, for a rider to catch a group and not go through the rotation is tantamount to throwing down the gauntlet: It's a declaration of war. It is saying, "I am here defensively to undermine your effort: ride me off your wheel or concede."

Now, on a training ride, it has other implications. The practical implication that you (correctly) allude to is that you may not be aware they are there. That's not necessarily safe.

If I catch a guy or girl on a training ride I likely will either go by them or, if I want to share the work, I may sit on briefly (30 seconds) then come through on the windward side to give them a little bit of a break as a courtesy and take a 30 second pull, then give them a flick of the elbow to let them know I am coming off and going to the back again. Most U.S. riders aren't familiar with this so it takes them a turn or two to catch on. Some are, and work together efficiently at once.

In a society of riders where the conventions of cooperative riding are deeply ingrained riders from several nations with verbal language barriers can ride together efficiently. In Belgium it was common to be in a group that spoke English, Russian, Dutch, French, Flemish and German. In a five man group, if the teams did their jobs, we had five languages. It seemed to work out since we were familiar with how to behave in a group. The gestures, rythms and expectations were universal. Men three generations before us made them up, and they communicated them down through the ranks.

In the U.S. we don't have that level of "society" in cycling yet- but constructive posts like yours help foster that process of understanding how to behave in the complex and subtle society of cycling athletes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride Rss Feed  

of 2