General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3439938

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride
noofus - 2011-04-11 12:15 PM

But I *HATE* when people draft unannounced.  Last weekend I was riding my tribike on the local paved path and I didnt even know it but some guy came in behind me and drafted me for 5 miles.  I had no idea he was back there

I have been reading this thread (and the others like it from time to time here) and maybe it's because it's never really happened to me, but I don't get the issue with an "unwelcome" drafter. This quoted post above sort of cuts right to the heart of my "What's the BFD?" question; you didn't even know he was there. How does that bother you? Is it like sitting with your back to the door in a restaraunt? Now I HATE that!

2011-04-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3440525

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
mrbbrad - 2011-04-11 2:39 PM

But I *HATE* when people draft unannounced.  Last weekend I was riding my tribike on the local paved path and I didnt even know it but some guy came in behind me and drafted me for 5 miles.  I had no idea he was back there

I have been reading this thread (and the others like it from time to time here) and maybe it's because it's never really happened to me, but I don't get the issue with an "unwelcome" drafter. This quoted post above sort of cuts right to the heart of my "What's the BFD?" question; you didn't even know he was there. How does that bother you? Is it like sitting with your back to the door in a restaraunt? Now I HATE that!

It's a safety thing.  I don't know the riding ability of the drafter, and that person doesn't know my riding habits.  If I don't realize they're back there, I may decide to slow down all of a sudden or make a last second turn, causing a collision.  A simple request to stick to my wheel solves those problems. 

2011-04-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3439531

User image

Something like this happened to me on Saturday.  I was on a solo ride at race effort.  I hit a red light where a group of about 12 was waiting.  I knew there was about 1 mile before I would make a right turn, so I had 2 options.  Ride behind this group (not drafting them as I was in aero) or I pass the whole group in one shot and go on my merry way.

So as the light turns green, I realize the group is going about 2-3 mph slower than I would like...and being that I wanted to ride at race effort, I dropped the hammer and passed the whole group as quickly as I could to create a gap...so that when I made my right turn in a couple minutes, I could easily slow down without slowing their pace line down in the process.

Well...I suppose when I passed the group, a couple of the guys in the group took it as some form of challenge.  I created about a 200 yard gap between myself and the rest of their group, but 2 of these guys decided to jump on my wheel without letting me know.  So obviously as I approach my right turn, I'm ready to slow down and hit my brakes...also slightly veering to the left to give me a wider turning angle.  But before I did this...I decided to signal "just in case".  Lucky I did...as the two guys were right on my wheel and  blew by me on my left.  If I didn't signal and just hit my brakes, it could have ended up in a crash.

2011-04-11 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
I can't imagine this would ever happen to me as all I've got here are tricicolos and commuters but when my DH sometimes drafts off me I would at first get pissed (he is MUCH stronger than I am) but then I figure out that I'm out there to workout and if him drafting off my makes me continue to workout (or work harder) what's the problem?  I'd only get upset if I were bonking or couldn't physically handle the drafter (or was in a race were they didn't allow drafting).  Work is work is work. 
2011-04-11 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3440534

User image

Payson, AZ
AndrewMT - 2011-04-11 12:42 PM
mrbbrad - 2011-04-11 2:39 PM

It's a safety thing.  I don't know the riding ability of the drafter, and that person doesn't know my riding habits.  If I don't realize they're back there, I may decide to slow down all of a sudden or make a last second turn, causing a collision.  A simple request to stick to my wheel solves those problems. 

Exactly.  If someone doesn't announce themselves when they jump on your wheel what happens when you decide to make a sudden move, most likely a stop?  I don't expect someone there when riding solo.  And I don't want some inexperienced person back there who does something dumb like cross tires cause they don't actually know how to draft.  I get the right to decide how safe I want to be that day and not have someone take it out of my control.

2011-04-11 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Only exception I can think of for not announcing your presence on approaching another unknown rider's rear wheel might be while riding in a designated bike lane while surrounded by car traffic.  If your natural speed is higher than another rider you must wait (at a safe trailing distance) for traffic to clear to pass just like in a car on a 2-lane road.

Tom-

Thanks for the perspective on the culture of European cycling. 

But might not a right vs left elbow flick be confusing to unknown riders of diff nationalities?  Even among English-speaking riders we do not all drive cars on the same side of the road

2011-04-11 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
When riding "a popular bike loop" I would expect all riders to indicate their intentions to stop or turn regardless of whether or not they know someone is drafting.  Out on an empty country road, not so much.
2011-04-11 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3440806

User image

Payson, AZ
Oldteen - 2011-04-11 2:27 PM

Only exception I can think of for not announcing your presence on approaching another unknown rider's rear wheel might be while riding in a designated bike lane while surrounded by car traffic.  If your natural speed is higher than another rider you must wait (at a safe trailing distance) for traffic to clear to pass just like in a car on a 2-lane road.

There is a difference between being behind someone and drafting (as you point out) and your right, no need to announce yourself in that situation.  I don't mind someone behind me, I mind someone on my back wheel. 

Now that being said, if I passed someone and they asked to draft cause they were dying and far out from their destination, I'd sacrifice my ride and slow down and pull them.  But they don't have to be right on your wheel for that.

2011-04-12 12:02 AM

User image

Umm, I can see the points about etiquette, but what I'm not getting is all the griping about "I didn't know he was there!  Wah!"  Don't y'all ride with mirrors?  Seems like basic safety equipment, to me.
2011-04-12 12:29 AM
in reply to: #3441473

Regular
No.

I gave my mirror to the lolrus.

Edited by There is no Tri 2011-04-12 12:29 AM
2011-04-12 7:09 AM

Dont really see the big deal with this to be honest, though I ride in a group a lot and am grateful of a wheel myself when im struggling.  If anything its an admission by the other rider that right here, right now, your stronger.  Personally I like riding at the front of groups.

2011-04-12 7:39 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
I have zero interest in drafting off someone I do not know/have not ridden with much. It is completely a safety issue to me. I have a small group that has ridden together weekly for 20+ years - we known each other so well we could just about pace line in the aerobars with our eyes closed. That pretty much puts me off drafting off the "unknowns." I always appreciate someone telling me they are sitting on, again from a safety standpoint. That way I can signal my intentions, and upcoming hazards. From a courtesy standpoint, I have found the vast majority of folks to be very polite about it - I don't mind them being back there and would really rather they did NOT take a pull - I am usually out to ride solo anyway. Along those lines, probably my only slight beef is when someone sits on and then wants to then engage in some long winded get-to-know-you conversation. I am happy to exchange a few pleasantries, but usually not much more interested in that. But, as always - to each their own; we are all out there for different reasons.
2011-04-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3440400

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
cbire880 - 2011-04-11 2:46 PM

I never mind when someone asks to join in behind me, especially if I am already in a paceline with some other guys I know. 

But I *HATE* when people draft unannounced.  Last weekend I was riding my tribike on the local paved path and I didnt even know it but some guy came in behind me and drafted me for 5 miles.  I had no idea he was back there as I had an aero-helmet on which covered my ears and at 22mph I couldnt really hear anything behind me anyway.  When I get to a pre-arranged stopping place where my group always pauses for people to catch up I start slowing down and just barely see the shadow of a helmet behind me.  I was about to hit the brakes hard.  Glad I noticed. 

The unannounced drafter passes by after staring at me... not even so much as a "thanks for the pull"...but worse yet he was on a P2 and in the aerobars...  Drafting unannounced in the aerobars is a good way to get EVERYONE hurt...

You forgot the part where he gave the bizarre look after I commented that it would be nice to ask permission to suck wheel in the future.  He was a piece of work.  Shame you didn't notice it sooner and drop him hard.

Wish I did notice.  I would have crushed his soul...  Alas I didnt see him until after you passed me...
2011-04-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3440525

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
mrbbrad - 2011-04-11 3:39 PM

Safety.  I didnt know he was there.  How would I know to put my closed fist on my back to warn a drafter that I was planning on slowing if I didnt know he was back there?  In my case I was about to hit the brakes hard and come to a stop.  I just happened to notice the helmet shadow at the right time... 

Or what if I swerved to avoid a divot in the trail or a rock or something?  If I didnt know to point out the hazard or call it, he would hit it.  Besides, reports from the rest of the group said he was riding in aero behind me.  Which means he had no brakes and little ability to maneuver out of the way of a dangerous situation...

2011-04-12 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That has not happened to me yet, but i would consider it extremely rude!!! If i notice someone like that drafting behind me, i have no idea what their intentions are. They could be packing heat or seek to do some harm. i always think the worst when someone approaches me. So i would just drop the hammer on him and lose him. I ride with a couple other guys and their tt bikes, one buddy of mine, a native american will have no problem slowing down and kicking you off your bike. I have seen him do this, and it was not pretty for the other guy. Not something i would do, but thats him.

2011-04-12 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

I would love to be the point where this is a problem for me.

Until then, I will just have to complain about getting passed like I was in reverse.

BUT, if it ever did happen, I think that I could introduce them to just how lactose intolerant I am.

2011-04-13 7:35 AM

New user

I agree it is rude and unsafe to just draft off someone you don't know on a solo ride.

I also think it is expected on a group ride, the only way I can hang with the 'A' riders in my bike club is with some creative drafting. I think they should feel that my drafting is an admission that they are faster and stronger than me. On slower group rides I will intentionally avoid drafting to get a better workout. And if I end up pulling people on a group ride I just feel like a hero Smile

2011-04-13 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Central Park this happens ALL the time.  Now that I am bike racing I kind of don't care - gives me some practice on the whole pack thing....if I am out there on a solo training ride I expect to be doing all the work.

I will try to catch someone wheel momentarily but that is just to then slingshot off of them...

I DO mind if my teammates and I are pacelining and someone tries to come in as we are working on our skills together.

And I really hate when rollerbladers draft off me.

2011-04-13 9:04 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Not trying to hijack, but thought this was funny in light of this thread. I am in chicago for work and this morning went out for a run on the lakeshore. On the way back I passed a couple of guys and they immediately jumped in behind me. Never said a word, and never came around me, but they were on me almost like in a road race. It made it really hard not to blow my zones. They ran like that for over two miles until I turned off the lakeshore path to head back to my hotel.

how weird is that? I just figured it was a couple of folks from BT playing a joke on me.

2011-04-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3440806

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Picking up unannounced drafters happens to me sometimes.  I find it a little weird, and it is somewhat of a safety issue, though I think not a huge one, at least not for me.  It's much more of an issue for the person who is drafting.  One thing I can say for certain is that when someone I don't know drafts me unannounced I definitely put the hammer down.  So the result is going to be either that I drop that person, or that I blow up.  Either way, we're not likely to be together for very long.

Drafters who request are fine in my book, though again my testosterone is high enough that I will make them work for it.

Edited by Experior 2011-04-13 10:48 AM
2011-04-13 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Must be nice to be fast enough that someone wants to draft off you...

Every cyclist I encounter on solo rides (which isn't many) is either going the other way or blows past me going up a hill.  My average speed is creeping up and may soon be over 16mph, but it seems like all the roadies around here can do 20+. (I'd probably be WAY over 20 myself if I lived somewhere flat.)

I agree with the safety concerns for sure, but sometimes I wouldn't mind some company.  I did 62 miles on a nice day this weekend and only saw ONE other biker.  Seems like everybody around here sticks to the city even though the country roads have a lot less traffic.

I think I'd be flattered to get a drafter. Probably pointless though.  Good luck holding my wheel on a decline, and don't bother on a climb...

2011-04-13 1:30 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

I sometimes wonder exactly how this ends up happening. If the person comes up from behind you, are they just taking a break when they get to you, because you're obviously going slower than they are.  If this is the case...that's pretty creepy.

It happens to me all the time on my road bike.  I will pass someone, call out "on your left" and they jump right on my wheel.  If they are able to hold my pace, I ease up after a few minutes and more often than not, they will take a turn at the front. 

If I am on my TT bike, I usually wait until no cars are coming and swing wide and hammer it passed the person, it gives them no time to get on your wheel.  If they somehow get on there, I try my best to teach them a lesson.  I actually had a guy roll up next to me at the next light and say, "man you are KILLING me".  I was pretty proud.

As long as I know the person is there, it doesn't bother me at all.  I'm a people person and I support all other athletic types.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride Rss Feed  

of 2