General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commute to work starts Monday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #232239

User image

Lake Jackson, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike commute to work starts Monday
Lookingtoride - 2005-08-23 6:15 PM

I didn't fall or get injured, that's the good news. The bad news is my left crank fell off. Yes you read that correctly. It fell off. Oh yeah, and I had already picked up a nail in my rear tire prior to that but the leak was slow so I had a shot at making it home. Using a 35lb bike as a scooter for 5+ miles is not fun. I guess I should have taken the bike in for a tune-up but who thinks a crank is going to fall off. Lost the bolt also. Off to drink a couple of beers and shower :-)

If you have to ride over a bunch of debri let me suggest you get some Mr.Tuffy inserts. Best $10 I ever spent as far as commuting. Glad you made it home alright. Get that bike tuned up and keep it up. And yes, I second that comment about getting home and not even thinking you were at work!!!

2005-08-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: #228719

New user

What do you guys do with your bikes at work?

I have a pretty long commute to work, but I was thinking of finding a good spot to park the car about 1/2 way and ride the rest in. I've tried to check out the roads and I found a pretty safe route, but I didn't want to leave my road bike chained up outside all day. I work in a cube on the 3rd floor and thought taking my bike up the elevator and parking it in my cube was just too awkward.
2005-08-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #232601

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
trimonkey - 2005-08-24 8:16 AM

What do you guys do with your bikes at work?

I have a pretty long commute to work, but I was thinking of finding a good spot to park the car about 1/2 way and ride the rest in. I've tried to check out the roads and I found a pretty safe route, but I didn't want to leave my road bike chained up outside all day. I work in a cube on the 3rd floor and thought taking my bike up the elevator and parking it in my cube was just too awkward.

I lock my bike against a rail on the top floor of the parking garage across the street from my office. At least there it's safe from the somewhat odd characters who wander downtown Cedar Rapids. And I second the "what, me work?" feeling of riding home. I have so much more energy for the rest of the evening when I bike home.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike commute to work starts Monday Rss Feed  

of 2