General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-07-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3581030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas
lisac957 - 2011-07-05 9:08 AM

todds - 2011-07-05 9:51 AM Probably get many different responses to that but, it's hard to argue the benefits of grains such as quinoa, steel cut oats, brown rice farina......complex carbs, nutrients, protein.....

Not to nit-pick but quinoa is technically a seed. It has a ton of benefits, especially to those who are gluten free or vegetarian/vegan as it is a contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it a complete protein source. It contains 14g of protein per 3.5oz.

Carry on, I really like this discussion

Correct,it is technically a seed, I guess we/I treat it as a grain

2011-07-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3581006

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

JM2 - 2011-07-05 8:03 AM So why is it ok to "carb load" leading up to race? Seems like lots of people go the big pasta dinner route.

Because people don't understand what carb loading is. They think a large pasta dinner the night before and boom, they're loaded.

True carb loading is a systemic depletion of carbs followed by less intense training and higher carb intake. The theory is that you will get an overabundance of glycogen stores. This is also accompanied by weight gain as you retain water as well.

IMHO, the shorter the distance the less effective carb loading is, as under normal circumstances you should have plenty of glycogen stores to see you through a 90-120 minute event.

And pasta is not an evil thing. Processed white flour pasta, maybe, but there are whole wheat, seminola and spinach pastas available.

The fruits and veggies with meat and sports drinks is right out of Paleo for Athletes, which is one of the worst nutrition books for athletes I've read in a while. Just convinces me that Friel should stop writing books.

John

2011-07-05 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3581176

tkd.teacher - 2011-07-05 11:06 AM

JM2 - 2011-07-05 8:03 AM So why is it ok to "carb load" leading up to race? Seems like lots of people go the big pasta dinner route.

Because people don't understand what carb loading is. They think a large pasta dinner the night before and boom, they're loaded.

True carb loading is a systemic depletion of carbs followed by less intense training and higher carb intake. The theory is that you will get an overabundance of glycogen stores. This is also accompanied by weight gain as you retain water as well.

IMHO, the shorter the distance the less effective carb loading is, as under normal circumstances you should have plenty of glycogen stores to see you through a 90-120 minute event.

And pasta is not an evil thing. Processed white flour pasta, maybe, but there are whole wheat, seminola and spinach pastas available.

The fruits and veggies with meat and sports drinks is right out of Paleo for Athletes, which is one of the worst nutrition books for athletes I've read in a while. Just convinces me that Friel should stop writing books.

John

So John, then you're giving a caveat to the whole no processed food thing? Some pastas are not as bad as others? Is anything bread/pasta product that says "enriched" worse than one that isn't?
2011-07-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3581022

User image

Regular
San Diego

rgeezy - 2011-07-05 8:06 AM

Easy tip for avoiding  bad foods; if it was not around 200 years ago, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

I think that's really good advice- allows you to make healthier choices without really limiting your selection, and inables you to shop for food without necessarly having to hit up speciality makets.  I like eating whole healthful foods (though I'll admit, I've fallen off the wagon the past few weeks), but I don't like paying exorbitant prices either, being on a tight budget.  It's all the preservatives, excess sugar and sodium, hydroginated oils, corn syrup, red dye, etc... that's what shouldn't be in our system, and being smart about reading food lables can help with that.  Things like bread and pasta aren't necessary bad (but definetly stick with whole-wheat varities, and eat in moderation.

I'm fortunate that my husband is super into baking, so all of our bread is natural (and is usually made with at least 50% whole wheat flour), and I get fresh, organic eggs and produce from his mother.  One of my favorite easy week-night dinners is baked fish with brown or wild rice, and steamed veggies.  By changing up the seasonings, condiments (mango chutny, corn and blackbean salsa, non-fat sourcream with a little bit of lemon juice and zest...) and the veggies, you can add a surprising varity to a simple dish.  Another one of my favorite dishes to make is taking chicken breasts and maranading them in a plastic ziplock with diced tomates, garlic cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos and some salt and pepper.  Squish everything around in the bag, and let it maranate in the frige for at least 30 minutes.  It's really great grilled, and served with corn, black beans, or cilantro-lime rice (think of a slighly healther alternative to the rice served at Chipotle

Edited by Lisavg 2011-07-05 12:10 PM
2011-07-05 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3580705

User image

Victoria, British Columbia
Anyone ever eaten Chia seeds for protein and Omegas?
2011-07-05 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3581176

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

John

John, I haven't read Paleo for Athletes, so I don't know what the supposed strengths or pitfalls of that kind of diet would be.  Could you expand a little bit on your statement?

I don't follow a paleo diet; I eat limited dairy and keep a decent amount of grain in my diet.  However, I just don't see any benefit to a processed starch like pasta.  Basically pure simple carb that is basically sugar and provides no real nutritional value that I know of.  When making the whole wheat or spinach pastas, are they able to retain the fiber and nutrients or do those get processed out? 

2011-07-05 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3581343

User image

Pro
CyFair
AndrewMT - 2011-07-05 12:16 PM

John

John, I haven't read Paleo for Athletes, so I don't know what the supposed strengths or pitfalls of that kind of diet would be.  Could you expand a little bit on your statement?

I don't follow a paleo diet; I eat limited dairy and keep a decent amount of grain in my diet.  However, I just don't see any benefit to a processed starch like pasta.  Basically pure simple carb that is basically sugar and provides no real nutritional value that I know of.  When making the whole wheat or spinach pastas, are they able to retain the fiber and nutrients or do those get processed out? 

To some degree. 

Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc (see lower gi carbs) all have their place in peoples day to day diet.  Simple carbs can be utilized in the windows surrounding workouts effectively IMO.  The thing is people need to research, track, and tinker with their macros as well as nutrient sources to find what best works for them.  Terms like "eating clean" or "organic" or "non-processed" are great in theory but are nothing more than buzz words and their definitions change from one person's understanding to another's. 

2011-07-05 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3581343

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
AndrewMT - 2011-07-05 10:16 AM

Nutrients in the wheat/spinach ones are similar, and if you get a fortified they are the same (With the exception of the fiber content, but I eat enough fruit/veggies I don't worry too much about the fiber). I like them because they are convenient. They may not be the best out there, but if you eat them in sensible quantities, it's no worse than many other food choices. I work 40 hours a week and am training 17+, food prep time is often limited.

As far as Paleo for Athletes, it purports to follow the Paleo thought system, but allows for supplements, protein drinks and sports drinks at "key times" before, during and after workouts to hit the "windows" for nutritional efficacy.

The problem is, that the windows are so wide, that you are almost always eligible to be consuming a sports drink or other supplement drink, gels and other workout specific items, and it places more emphasis on supplementation than a sensible diet plan. Friel either can't communicate it very well or his grasp of physiological concepts isn't the best.

The best book I've read in recent years on the subject is Endurance Sports Nutrition by...Eberle?

Now, don't get me wrong, I still occasionally eat "wrong" (My favorite cheat is Kraft Mac'Cheese with shredded cheese added, and a pound of lean hamburger spiced and grilled, and crumbled into it), but just by being 85% diligent about my diet, I've dropped from 178 to 164 since Feb.

But, if you eat mostly sensibly and pay a little attention to it, there's no reason (And a lot of physiological reasons NOT) to be consuming 1000 cal protein styled drinks or other calorie bombs just to get all the cals you need. (And for the poster that mentioned his age, I'm 44 and hardly overly vigilant about my diet.)

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2011-07-05 1:06 PM
2011-07-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3581274

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

JM2 - 2011-07-05 9:50 AM So John, then you're giving a caveat to the whole no processed food thing? Some pastas are not as bad as others? Is anything bread/pasta product that says "enriched" worse than one that isn't?

Yes. A lot of the white flour, processed breads/pastas are not that great because of the glycemic index. A white flour based pasta that is boiled for 20 minutes has a GI in the 70's, while a wheat pasta will be in the 40's.

Also, the thicker the pasta, the lower the GI will be, even in the white flour based ones.

I also really like the taste of the spinach pastas, but I'm a spinach fan anyway. :D

John

2011-07-05 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
FWIW some of the biggest nutrition "nerds" I know are bodybuilder and bb'ing contest prep coaches.  Every one I know says the window for optimal carb uptake is immediately post to 45 minutes post workout.
2011-07-05 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
I find the simpliest way to avoid the processed foods is shop the perimeter of the store.  Fruits and Vegi's on the left, fresh meat on the back wall and eggs eggs, cheeses, butter and diary on the right.  Although this time of year Farmers Markets are everywhere with lots of locally grown whole foods.

2011-07-05 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3581632

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Batlou - 2011-07-05 2:32 PM I find the simpliest way to avoid the processed foods is shop the perimeter of the store.  Fruits and Vegi's on the left, fresh meat on the back wall and eggs eggs, cheeses, butter and diary on the right.  Although this time of year Farmers Markets are everywhere with lots of locally grown whole foods.

I have heard this a lot but it doesn't always ring true in the grocery stores I frequent.

The bakery and bread products are all on the outside edge.
I go in the middle to find: nuts, (natural) peanut butter, frozen fruits/vegetables, beans/lentils, and the entire "natural foods" section is in the middle as well.

2011-07-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3581664

User image

Pro
CyFair
lisac957 - 2011-07-05 2:45 PM

Batlou - 2011-07-05 2:32 PM I find the simpliest way to avoid the processed foods is shop the perimeter of the store.  Fruits and Vegi's on the left, fresh meat on the back wall and eggs eggs, cheeses, butter and diary on the right.  Although this time of year Farmers Markets are everywhere with lots of locally grown whole foods.

I have heard this a lot but it doesn't always ring true in the grocery stores I frequent.

I go in the middle to find: nuts, (natural) peanut butter, frozen fruits/vegetables, beans/lentils, and the entire "natural foods" section is in the middle as well.

Exactly.  I believe the first time I heard this was on a reality show so take it for what it's worth.  Bacon is on the outside of the store as are hot dogs or brisket or any type of cheese that is more fatty than nutritious.  It's a generalization which can lead a good amount of people astray.

2011-07-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3581731

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
uhcoog - 2011-07-05 2:11 PM
lisac957 - 2011-07-05 2:45 PM

Exactly.  I believe the first time I heard this was on a reality show so take it for what it's worth.  Bacon is on the outside of the store as are hot dogs or brisket or any type of cheese that is more fatty than nutritious.  It's a generalization which can lead a good amount of people astray.

All good points....And, I believe the dairy industry are the only people left claiming dairy is healthy for you. Any nutritional value dairy might have, can be found in other whole,real foods without the risks.
2011-07-05 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3581022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
rgeezy - 2011-07-05 9:06 AM

Easy tip for avoiding  bad foods; if it was not around 200 years ago, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

IMO, this is the best post in this thread!
2011-07-05 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

'preciate the love todds. The one thing that I cannot believe people still do is drink sodas. I used to down about 2 a day, and my body reflected it. Now, I scoff at people who still drink them and complain about how they can't seem to loose weight, and they eat "healthy".

Here is a link to the most informative video I have ever watched. It is about sugars and how the body metabolizes the different kinds of sugar (OMG there is more than one kind?!?!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=player_embedded

Seriously, it is about an hour long, but you will probably re-evaluate what you eat and when. Life changing stuff here.

2011-07-05 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3581744

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

todds - 2011-07-05 1:18 PM  All good points....And, I believe the dairy industry are the only people left claiming dairy is healthy for you. Any nutritional value dairy might have, can be found in other whole,real foods without the risks.

And....you have any studies to back up the claims that all dairy is bad for you?

John

2011-07-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3581780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
tkd.teacher - 2011-07-05 2:35 PM

todds - 2011-07-05 1:18 PM  All good points....And, I believe the dairy industry are the only people left claiming dairy is healthy for you. Any nutritional value dairy might have, can be found in other whole,real foods without the risks.

And....you have any studies to back up the claims that all dairy is bad for you?

John

Any studies to back up claims that it is good for us would be extremely industry influenced. I've read alot of material(starting with all the studies published in relations with the China Study) about the dangers of dairy. If you feel it is completely nutritious, knock yourself out. I can't and won't be convinced it's healthy....
2011-07-05 3:43 PM

User image

Runner
This thread is just amazing to me. Just.... amazing. And I grew up with a Registered Dietician.
2011-07-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3581797

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
todds - 2011-07-05 1:41 PM

John

Any studies to back up claims that it is good for us would be extremely industry influenced. I've read alot of material(starting with all the studies published in relations with the China Study) about the dangers of dairy. If you feel it is completely nutritious, knock yourself out. I can't and won't be convinced it's healthy....

The China study...yeah, ok, now I understand. Glad to see you keep an open mind.

John

2011-07-05 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3581800

User image

Pro
CyFair

Scout7 - 2011-07-05 3:43 PM This thread is just amazing to me. Just.... amazing. And I grew up with a Registered Dietician.

Curious what you're seeing actually.

2011-07-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3581802

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
tkd.teacher - 2011-07-05 3:43 PM
todds - 2011-07-05 1:41 PM

John

The China study...yeah, ok, now I understand. Glad to see you keep an open mind.

John

Where is my popcorn?
Wait, is that processed? Nevermind. Tongue out

2011-07-05 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Like I said, if you think it's healthy...eat away. And studies dairy is healthy with no risks are where?
2011-07-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3581805

User image

Runner
uhcoog - 2011-07-05 4:45 PM

Scout7 - 2011-07-05 3:43 PM This thread is just amazing to me. Just.... amazing. And I grew up with a Registered Dietician.

Curious what you're seeing actually.

A lot of stuff I never worried about, I guess. But I'm sure my upbringing was different than other people's so my perspective is certainly colored.
2011-07-05 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3581777

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree... but those drinks are somewhat addictive, so don't scoff too heavily. I used to drink, no NEED, at least a can or 2 of diet Dr. Pepper a day. I tried for over a year to quit. When I finally got off of them, I felt better, lost a couple pounds, and stopped craving other sweets as much. I swear, even the diet drinks mess with your metabolism, and rot your tooth enamel!

I definitely recommend getting off the sodas to anyone!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas Rss Feed  

of 5