Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-07-26 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: What triathlon is "about"
In a recent issue of the USA Triathlon Magazine, with the Bennetts on the cover, the final article is called "What triathlon is about".  The gist, as I understood it, is that the author feels triathlon is NOT about the top athletes and is instead about the every day person who finishes the races.  That's where this author finds inspiration.

This comes up a lot here on BT, too.   I often seen the statement of "It's about finishing" and  "Just toeing the line is what matters."

This rubs me the wrong way and I feel that triathlon is "about" the personal journey and accomplishments of each athlete.  I have the utmost respect for a top athlete who works harder than I do, pushes themselves harder than I do, and then gets the reward of a top placement.  I doubt it's "easy" for them.

Why can't triathlon be "about" everyone?   What do you think?

2011-07-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3615205

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: What triathlon is "about"
I don't understand why it has to be about anything. It's a race. There's no deep-rooted meaning to it.
2011-07-26 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
It's about crushing dreams and drinking the cold salty tears of other competitors as I stomp through flowers and banish rainbows from the sky.
2011-07-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3615216

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Scout7 - 2011-07-26 10:53 AM I don't understand why it has to be about anything. It's a race. There's no deep-rooted meaning to it.

I actually agree with that, too.
2011-07-26 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I think it is "about" what each person chooses to make it about.  There are some people who work super hard to "just" toe the line or "just" finish but you just never know because in a few years maybe that person will overcome something and be on the podium.  The bottom line is its a personal journey and not "about" the same thing for any 2 people and you never know the journey that the person next to you took to get to the starting line. 

We need to respect that it is "about" different things to different people and not be judgemental.  God bless you if you can podium every race and Kona Qualify but for most of us thats not possible.  All I ask is if you are that talented you have a little respect for the rest of us who work really hard to be able to participate, have a healthy lifestyle and "just" finish
2011-07-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3615220

User image

Runner
Leegoocrap - 2011-07-26 11:55 AM

It's about crushing dreams and drinking the cold salty tears of other competitors as I stomp through flowers and banish rainbows from the sky.

What is the best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

2011-07-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3615216

User image

Champion
Alabama

Scout7 - 2011-07-26 10:53 AM I don't understand why it has to be about anything. It's a race. There's no deep-rooted meaning to it.

Agree.  It's just a race.  As 10 people what the race means to them and you'll likely get 10 different answers. 

From a purely statistical perspective, for the vast majority of triatheletes, it is NOT about winning.  Only 1 or 2% of people 'podium finish' and that is only because we've come up with these arbitrary AG brackets so we can have more 'winners'.  The brutal, hard fact is the only person who won the race is the guy that finishes first....usually a male, pro.  Everyone else just participated.  (ouch, ok, who threw that?!)

:-)

2011-07-26 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3615234

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Scout7 - 2011-07-26 11:58 AM
Leegoocrap - 2011-07-26 11:55 AM It's about crushing dreams and drinking the cold salty tears of other competitors as I stomp through flowers and banish rainbows from the sky.
What is the best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

So much better than "I'll be back."  Don't know why it didn't stick more. 

2011-07-26 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN

This reminds me of people talking deep about other sports like surfing or kayaking or snowkiting.  Yes like triathlons are just a simple race, riding a wave is a simple thing, running a river is a simple thing, or riding the wind is a simple thing.  So is sitting in a large building on Sundays with other people, that's a simple thing too.  It's how it makes you feel doing these things that matters.

What you put into is what you get out of it.  For some people, doing a triathlon will be the hardest thing they've ever done.  Others are doing it just on a whim because a friend suggested they "tri" it.  Other are out there pushing themselves to their limits every day so they can be the first person to cross the finish line.

I think it can be "about" everyone because we're all different and we're all in this for different reasons.  You can talk deep about it but to me it's just fun.  I do a lot of other fun sports and I feel like they touch me deep to my core or soul.  Triathlon is one of them.

2011-07-26 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3615257

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am glad seeing the responses so far.  My hackles are raised when a person on BT might ask about how to improve their performance for a first half iron distance and they get responses like "Oh, it's your first, just worry about the distance at this point. The joy is in finishing"  Why can't they work to improve if that's what they want to do?  Silly.

2011-07-26 11:13 AM

User image

Runner
You are ascribing meaning to an inanimate thing. What is gravity "about"?

What people are really talking about here is not triathlons. Rather, they are talking about their own personal journeys in life, and trying to ascribe some level of importance, of meaning, to their undertakings.

A triathlon is just a race. It's an event that happens, and has no significance to it by itself. What is significant, to each and every person there, is what actions they have each undertaken up to, and after, that point.

The significance, the meaning, is not in the race itself. But rather it is in the habits that you have hopefully developed in the time and training leading up to the race. For it is through those habits that we attain excellence.

The person who never toes the line, but goes out and runs every day, can ascribe significance to his daily routine just as much as anyone who actually shows up on race day.

in reply to: #3615231

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Socks - 2011-07-26 11:57 AM I think it is "about" what each person chooses to make it about.  There are some people who work super hard to "just" toe the line or "just" finish but you just never know because in a few years maybe that person will overcome something and be on the podium.  The bottom line is its a personal journey and not "about" the same thing for any 2 people and you never know the journey that the person next to you took to get to the starting line. 

We need to respect that it is "about" different things to different people and not be judgemental.  God bless you if you can podium every race and Kona Qualify but for most of us thats not possible.  All I ask is if you are that talented you have a little respect for the rest of us who work really hard to be able to participate, have a healthy lifestyle and "just" finish

very well said.

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I think that one of the unique things that makes triathlon so popular is the wide wide range of opportunites and rewards it offers to individuals. 

On one end of the spectrum are the athletes who can apply their talent and hard work towards the purely competitive goal of winning races.  On the other end of the spectrum is the triathlete who strives to attain a level of fitness that will allow them to finish a race upright and with a smile on their face.

I suspect like most folks I'm somewhere in the middle: I enjoy the health & fitness benefits, but still am still driven to improve my performance and move up in my AG standings.

I think there's a place for everyone.

Mark
2011-07-26 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

This rubs me the wrong way and I feel that triathlon is "about" the personal journey and accomplishments of each athlete.

^^that.

I have the utmost respect for a top athlete who works harder than I do, pushes themselves harder than I do, and then gets the reward of a top placement. 

^^^but not that, for me anyway. I don't know how to measure how much harder someone works than I do, nor do I really care to be dead honest. So long as whenever I'm out there I know I worked as hard as I could to be ready for that moment.  Sure, I don't know how interested I would be in competing in races with only a handful of others, but when the race is on, I'm not racing to catch, pass or lead anyone, I'm only busting my as hard as I physically can.

I didn't even know there was a triathlon magazine Laughing

2011-07-26 11:24 AM

User image

Master
PNW

Perhaps I read the OP wrong, but when I see a question about what 'triathlon' is about, I'm not thinking the question is asking what a triathlon IS, but what the whole enchilada means to each competitor.  The question isn't what the race is about per se, but what the 'lifestyle' (for lack of a better word to describe it) is about.  The drive to finish (or compete), the training, the experience, the comraderie, the gear, the research, the race day experience....you know...the whole enchilada.

Anyway, for me, triathlon is about fun.  I do this because it's fun and when it no longer becomes fun, I'll stop.  In order for it to remain fun for me, it must fit into the rest of my life because I do lots of fun things and I'd like to keep it that way.

2011-07-26 11:34 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Socks - 2011-07-26 10:57 AM I think it is "about" what each person chooses to make it about.  There are some people who work super hard to "just" toe the line or "just" finish but you just never know because in a few years maybe that person will overcome something and be on the podium.  The bottom line is its a personal journey and not "about" the same thing for any 2 people and you never know the journey that the person next to you took to get to the starting line. 

Well said, Sue.  Well said.

2011-07-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3615234

User image

Champion
Chicago
Scout7 - 2011-07-26 10:58 AM

Leegoocrap - 2011-07-26 11:55 AM

What is the best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

I like to kick their puppies, too. For effect, more than anything.
2011-07-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3615220

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-07-26 11:36 AM
2011-07-26 11:46 AM

Sarnia

I would have to say that TRIATHLON is "about" the people that make it exist.  If NO ONE showed up at Kona, it wouldn't be special on its own....The RACE can not exist on its own is  I guess what I am trying to say.  What makes triathlon so special IMHO, is that at each race there are a thousand stories that many of us can draw inspiration from or attach ourselves too.  It is these stories that make the event so special, so magical.  If we were all just naturally talented, extremely fit wonders of nature it would likely lose some significance.

Now for the Pro's it's a different story.  The race is what becomes significant, the tactics and the small battles over 140 miles that take place to ultimately crown a winner is what becomes important.  Then all of us AG'ers look to them and go back out and train....Cry But honestly, there isn't another sport that I can think of right now where you can participate at the same time as someone who earns their living doing the same thing.

2011-07-26 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3615268

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

Scout7 - 2011-07-26 12:13 PM The significance, the meaning, is not in the race itself. But rather it is in the habits that you have hopefully developed in the time and training leading up to the race. For it is through those habits that we attain excellence. The person who never toes the line, but goes out and runs every day, can ascribe significance to his daily routine just as much as anyone who actually shows up on race day.

x2

2011-07-26 11:52 AM

Master
Overland Park, KS

I can add my two cents worth in terms of the journey part of Triathlon.  I've been working harder on the bike lately, already at a record month in terms of mileage.  Last night I did what I call my hilly time trial, 4 laps around a local park with some short rolling hills, one steep one at the dam.

First lap, my fastest ever

Second lap, my fastest ever two lap split

Third lap, ditto for 3 lap split

Finish, fastest total time for me.

I even swam 2,450 yards in the morning before work.

These little workout accomplishments are part of what Triathlon is about.  Talk about gettnig into a good mood, feeling good about yourself, sharing with others, making my kids dinner while on this "high"

2011-07-26 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3615321

Veteran

Everyone has great points about what a tri means to them and others. I enjoy the atmosphere of the race. The people so far have been great! To me I love cheering on those who are just trying to finish, as it can be the biggest change in there life towards a heathly lifestyle. But I am there to have fun and Tri and kill the dreams of others. It hasn't happened yet but I love seeing my times get faster and my standings going higher. A triathlon is about Everything from passing someone in your ag on the bike to cheering on those last competitors coming across the line for there first time. You can't define it you just need to enjoy it!!!

2011-07-26 12:07 PM

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Triathlon is an empty vessel, you can fill it with whatever and however much you wish.
2011-07-26 12:07 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Socks - 2011-07-26 9:57 AM

Does this happen a lot? Do you preceive that you are not respected by people who are fast? Does it really matter to you what someone else may or may not think" about you, especially someone you may not even know? And since it is just a race and up to each of us to create value around it, why would it even matter what others think? I can assure you people who are fast are not thinking at all about people who aren't. They are simply doing their own thing just like everyone else.
2011-07-26 12:15 PM

Champion
Alabama

Triathlon is about….

Winning

Losing

Competing

Completing

Being capable in 3 distinct disciplines

Working towards a goal almost every day