5 Star Race Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 16/179
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30am since race was close and had already picked up my race packet. Nice to sleep in a little on race day. Had a cliff bar and a bottle of water enroute, only 25 minutes away.
Event warmup:

Small jog, about 3/10 of a mile from where I parked to the race start. Actually timed really well as they were starting to gather at the start for the pre-race instructions.
Run
  • 1h 05m 30s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at just over a 7 min/mile pace. Was shooting to come in at 7 min 30 sec/mile for just under an hour and ten minutes. I tried to bank time on miles 1 through 6 to give some cushion which worked out well. Even with a small discrepancy in course distance I am confident I would have hit 1 hour 9 minutes and some change.
What would you do differently?:

Probably not much, maybe not have a half mary scheduled 3 weeks afterward?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the parking area and met my wife and baby, felt pretty good and waited for awards ceremony

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt that I have put in the miles over the course of the year for this distance. I was somewhat hesistant knowing that I have a half mary scheduled for 3 weeks and did not want to push so hard that it would affect my upcoming training.

Event comments:

Nice pilsner glasses given at awards ceremony although there was a discrepancy with all of the 15K awards as they indicated 5K. No biggy to me, I do not race for the awards anyway. This is the 2nd race I have done with 5 star race productions and they put on a good organized race. Course was a little short of 15K but no complaints from me!

Last updated: 2011-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:05:30 | 9.32 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 16/179
Performance: Average
Average heartrate of 173 and max of 184.
Course: Scenic course throughout the Brunswick Forest neighborhood with a small amount of trail through one section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes