Dallas YMCA
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 48s
Overall Rank = 3413/3838
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 157/162
Pre-race routine:

Poor planning for the breakfast. Just 3 eggs, 2 bacon and 2 microwaved biscuits. Not uber carb loading by any means, but it got me through.
Event warmup:

I put my feathers on my ass, met up with Aaron, took a few pictures of with my dad and tried to aquaint him with the race day enviroment. Walked around with Jeepfleeb from my vehicle to his and then got in line. Some VERY mild stretching.

Oh yeah, and I didn't pee. My God how I wish I had pee'd.
Run
  • 1h 27m 48s
  • 8 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far my largest mass start. I enjoyed having the opportunity to do such a big and important race, not just the lil dinky ones with the 300-500 hardcore fans. I talked to marathon runners, health walkers and joggers, sprinters trying something new, and people that were just there to pick up dudes/chicks. It was the whole smorgasboard of folk there.

My personal run was disapointing. I started off in the 7:30-8:30 pace section and (with my limited distance running experience) I found myself passing EVERYONE. This would turn out to be a mistake. I was hopping on sidewalks, punching old ladies, knocking over strollers, you get the picture. Well around mile 2 my body starts to settle into a pace that seems to match everyone around me. This is partially because I've moved up to a faster crowd and partially because after 2 miles my legs were becoming aware of their own existance.

Anyone can guess what happened next. I'm still overtaking people (but at a very slow rate) up to a little bit before Mile 5. When we get to the bridge my legs start to slow down. Its that slowdown where you physically aren't moving as fast, but your head doesn't realize it yet. Only after doing this for a few minutes do I notice a woman semi-Powerwalking ahead of me, and I'm just barely gaining on her! I was doing the Fat Man Shuffle! Oh how that ticked me off to be a shuffler. No offense to you shuffle-types, I just expect more out of myself.

Anyways the rest of the run was marked by such noticable points as me NOT USING THE PORTAJOHNS at Mile 5 since I still had delusions of a sub-10 pace and having a coversation with a girl that had the same flavor Gu as me at a water station. We laughed about it and she proceeded to take off and destroy me. Arg.

Well I won't make excuses. I hate excuses. Excuses are like anuses. Everyone's got one and they stink.

I will however note that not working out (in any way) over the last 3 weeks made this more gruelling and far slower than it should have been. Between my hurt foot after the Mud Run, my Grandma dying, wisdom teeth coming out and all these final projects I just haven't had the time to train.

I mean c'mon, the time here is almost identical to my mud run time. While the mud run was 1.8Mi shorter, it also had like 32 obstacles and we were covered in mud and ran in ARMY BOOTS. This was not my A Game in the least. I've had much better runs.

Had I performed like this at 5k or 10k or just any old race, I'd be pretty pissed about the whole thing. The saving grace here is that it was the Turkey Trot and I wasn't quite as concerned with finishing time as I was the experience, which I still regard as grand.
What would you do differently?:

Train, and on a less broad note I would pee before the race and eat a breakfast that actually mirrored the task at hand. Scoring some fat-laden protein before an 8-miler wasn't the most champion thing to do.
Post race
Warm down:

I think I like nothing more in life than stretching after a workout. After I crossed the line I found a lil spot and stretched in ways that would make a kung fu monk blush. I was sure to drink some liquid, but not water-log myself. Talked to another student from UTD about the running/tri community at UTD (which is nonexistant). Then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Relatively speaking: fuelling.

Truthfully speaking: lack of training.

Event comments:

I gave a 5 for both mental and physical effort level. I laid everything out on the line at the race, I just didn't have much to begin with :(

The Turkey Trot is a wonderful venue, over 25,000 participants this year! Maybe not the best competitive venue, but a great experience. I look forward to making it a tradition and I'll definately be ready for it next year!

Last updated: 2005-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:48 | 08 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 157/162
Overall: 3413/3838
Performance: Below average
If I had a HRM it probably would have started beeping at me and then say "Go Pee" in that creepy Speak'n'Spell voice.
Course: It was all about the course! 8 well-planned miles in almost any cities' downtown area will give you a real tour of the town, and this race did just that! I did not appreciate it at the time, but in retrospect I found the concept of running in the completely cordoned-off street to be very cool. It was as though the runners fulfilled the function of cars: using cloverleafs to ascend to bridges, splitting at forks just to meet back up with other runners later, traversing through a number of echo-y tunnels, etc. It was just a real neat experience to get to see Dallas at a runner's speed and without the noise of the daily traffic. On the Mile Long Bridge there was a spectacular view the Dallas Skyline and no noise except for the wind moving over the bridge and the plod of a few thousand footsteps. I dig.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-11-25 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot

2005-11-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: #292065

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot
so thats all she wrote. bad race time, good overall time. its a play on words. har har.
2005-11-26 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Well, just getting out there puts you ahead of millions of Americans who did nothing but sit on their arses and stuff their faces on Thanksgiving...

So, good job!   Nice feathers...

2005-11-27 12:59 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Hey, don't sweat the time; at least you got to enjoy Dallas from such a different perspective!  I also thought it was a pretty neat course.  It was a GREAT event and one I'll definitely do again as well.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you...I talked to Aaron a couple times on the phone, but we couldn't find each other in the massive crowd.

Good job sticking it out!

2005-11-27 7:59 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

I have to admit - I really didn't think that there would ever be a call to use a plural form of "anus".  Your race report just broadened my vernacular horizons ...

Seriously, don't beat yourself up about the time.  Chalk it up to race day adrenaline that blew you pace and the lack of volume leading up to the event.  Eight miles is a considerable distance that requires a solid slow-twitch aerobic base ... and, based upon your RR, something you saw between miles 3 and 4.

Good job on roughing it out to the end.  Even if it came down to DFL (I know you didn't, but work with me here ...) it is still better than DNF.  Looking at it that way, you Turkey Trot time was better than Tim DeBoom's marathon at Kona ... and you finished with feathers!

2005-11-30 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Dang. and this whole time I thought the correct plural was "ani."

Turg, you have no idea how many ways you enlighten all of us. Congrats for making it off the couch and shaking those tail feathers.

2005-11-30 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I like the butthole metaphor. Nice work.  Glad you had fun and got a new sig line out of your goofy race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot Rss Feed