General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow Total Immersion Swimmers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-25 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Slow Total Immersion Swimmers?

Anyone else a TI swimmer who's had trouble gaining any speed in the water? I am. I did a TI workshop in fall of 2004. I couldn't swim any more than 25 yards without stopping before the workshop. So I owe a lot to my TI coach for getting me started. One thing I've had trouble with and I've heard others have trouble with is speed. TI is smooth and comfortable, but not so fast. Yesterday I met with a conventional swim coach. She watch me swim for 100 yards, had me do a few drills, and then timed me in a 100 yard swim. My old (very slow) PR was 2:00. Yesterday I swam 1:37, and I'm still pretty put of shape from 4 months of no training. Things she told me to do:

1) Hand entry: in TI I was having my hand enter the water just about the level of my ear. This cut the amount of time my hand was out of the water and free of drag by at least half. So yesterday I swam with my hand entering the water way out in front like I was climbing a ladder and reaching for the highest rung.

2) Stroke: in TI I was my hand was crossing the midline of my body underwater. So my momentum was shifting left or right with each stroke. I wish I could describe how she had me fix this.....basically I just made sure neither arm crossed the midline of my body from entry to finish back at my hip. She said something about sweeping your arm like you're swimming over barrels, but between the barrels and ladders my brain was getting full.

3) Breathing: I have been able to breath bilaterally from the beginning. But I found after a 100+ yards I'd start to get a little short of breath, even when I'm in good condition. Turns out by fixing the hand entry I have a little bit more time to get a breath in too. So that was fixed by default.

TI set me up great in terms of head position, body rotation, balance and kick.  Hopefully with the new stuff she showed me I'll get faster. Anybody else find a way to be faster after learning through TI?

2006-01-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #331610

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Slow Total Immersion Swimmers?

Wow Bill,

I was going to buy a TI DVD, but it sounds like it might slow me down, that would mean I would swim backwards!

It sounds like the "new" coach is a smart one, you better listen, from 2:00 to 1:37 is a big differance in my swimming book.

2006-01-25 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
I could still be helpful to incorporate some of the TI teaching points into your swimming if you have any issues with body position or balance. But I don't think it would make you faster if that's not the case.
2006-01-25 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
It hasn't helped me get any faster either (been doing the drills since summer of 2004). However, when I don't use it, I'm not significantly faster. I'd gladly trade for your PR of 2:00!

I have abandoned the technique of bringing my hand back into the water at around my ear. Like you, I prefer the "ladder climbing" method. It just feels more natural to me and helps me relax as I swim, which is more important than the perfect technique, IMHO.

Congrats on your new PR!
2006-01-25 2:17 PM
in reply to: #331652

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
From reading the different threads on BT about swimming and looking at different drills and such on the net I have picked up little things I am trying to incorporate into my weekly swims.

I have not swam much in my life more than recreational swimming except one season where they needed bodies on a team and the coach never really taught us anything, just had us do her intervals/drills. So in December I got into the pool for the first time in 14 years to start my HIM training.

In just this one month of solid swimming since then I am now at the point where I do my "X" x 100yard swims at a pace of about 1:55 - 2:05 typically. My 500yard swim pace still ends up being in the 2:05 - 2:13 range overall, but I have seen a significant improvement (in my eyes) in just this little bit of time by actually reading other people's mistakes/solutions/comments and incorporating the concepts into my swims.

No doubt that having a coach can help that much more, or even something as simple as someone video recording you and then you watching it back later. But I have seen improvement by just "listening" to discussions like this and trying to incorporate the ideas into my swims.

Not that this reply has any point, just my observation on the whole swimming thing as a newbie to it .......
2006-01-25 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
, Florida
I have TI's "Triathlon Swimming ~ Freestyle Made Easy" (I think that's the name). I have also had four professional coaching lessons prior to getting the TI book, and currently working through the drills (underswitch drills). I can see how the TI method is 'slow' (what a relative term) but between what I learned with a coach and TI's method, I think it will all help me out to be able to exit the water quickly and with plenty of fuel in the tank.

From all I have gather from TI, it's all about balance and efficiency, and it seems to be efficient, but kinda slow.

RGRBILL, thanks for the bit's of insight from your coach, I definitely can see where the hand entry point will help you with speed and better breathing and also not crossing the body with your hands.

2006-01-25 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

http://www.trisportepping.co.uk/trainadv/swimtech.html

One of the above 2 articles talks about the barrel technique, and attempts to describe it. In my opinion, RGRBILL learned a lesson we should all listen to. Without swimming background, it is probably fine to learn some things on TI or other, but ultimately a good coach will look at us and be able to identify specific problems and correct them.
2006-01-25 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Here's a question (and I do mean for this to be a serious question): how many racers have won or lost the race in the swim?  It seems like even a "slow" swimmer can make up a lot of ground on the bike and run.  I can see wanting to improve to save a few minutes in the swim but I'd rather be a little bit slower in the swim and then kick tail on the bike and run.  What do you all think?

Tom

2006-01-25 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I am almost exactley the same speed post TI as I was before my Camp, BUT I can swim a lot further. TI is supposed to be all about efficiency, and training yourself to have the proper muscle memory. That takes quite awhile. While I intend to keep doing swimming the TI way, I am also going to take a couple swim lessons, and see what I can make of it. I like the fact that because of TI, I can spend two years out of the sport, hop back into the pool, and have the exact same times. But I don't like the fact that no matter how much I drill, I have the exact same times. No advice really, just my experiences.
2006-01-25 3:15 PM
in reply to: #331742

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Matchman - 2006-01-25 12:57 PM

Here's a question (and I do mean for this to be a serious question): how many racers have won or lost the race in the swim?  It seems like even a "slow" swimmer can make up a lot of ground on the bike and run.  I can see wanting to improve to save a few minutes in the swim but I'd rather be a little bit slower in the swim and then kick tail on the bike and run.  What do you all think?

Tom

On my last Oly....I ranked in the top 20% on the bike and run, and bottom 50% on the swim which put me in the top 30% overall...10 minutes on an Oly distance is a lot of places in the rankings....
2006-01-25 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
RGRBILL - 2006-01-25 11:08 AM

Hand entry: in TI I was having my hand enter the water just about the level of my ear. This cut the amount of time my hand was out of the water and free of drag by at least half. So yesterday I swam with my hand entering the water way out in front like I was climbing a ladder and reaching for the highest rung.

This has been pointed out to me as well. In TI you extend your arm basically under water which creates a lot of drag, it's like sticking your arm in the sleeve of a sweater. The advantage I get from this way of doing this is that the farther I reach under water, like a foot below the surface, the more my legs come up, hence much better balance. This is very important for guys with heavy legs. If my extended arm is up higher (just below the surface of the water), I drag my legs more which is very slow. TI hasn't made me faster but it has made me much more efficient, I can swim forever TI style because of balance. Without balance I just tire very quickly.

Edited by us50090 2006-01-25 3:24 PM

2006-01-25 3:25 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Matchman - 2006-01-25 3:57 PM

Tom

In my AG at the Eagleman, 5 minutes is probably going to mean the difference from me getting a 70.3 WC slot or not getting it. There are a lot of people in the 4:45 range. I know I'll be able to hold somewhere in the 22 range for the bike without cooking myself for the run, and should be able to maintain 7:15 - 7:30 in the run, but at my current swim pace I am going to have to rely to heavily on my bike to make up the difference from the swim.

Of course this is all hypothetical ........ I might totally blow up on the bike and end up averaging only 20 and running 8's and doing the whole thing in the mid 5:xx's (which will be very disappointing to me).

Yes, people make up the difference in the other events of the sport, but the shorter the race, the less you can make up. A HIM or a full IM you can make up ten or twenty minutes if you are really strong in the other disciplines. But not in an Oly. or a sprint.
2006-01-25 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Matchman - 2006-01-25 2:57 PM

Tom

I agree most of the time it makes absolutely no difference. In fact last year in a race  knocking even 5 minutes off my 1/2 mile swim wouldn't have helped move me past the guy in front of me in my division. But as far as race results go it's more a matter of who else shows up most of the time.

For me faster in preferable to slower. I also want to get out of the water sooner so I can start taking in nutrition, especially this year when I move to longer races.  An hour swim in a 1/2 IM could be a problem, especially in the heat.

2006-01-25 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
, Florida
Here is a link to the 'Barrel' reference. A very good read for pull and catch drills.

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/swim/propulsive-swimming-and-the-catch-000830.php

2006-01-25 4:34 PM

Why can't you do all of the TI techniques, but at a faster turnover rate, and go faster? For example: when warming up, I swim at a 2:30 pace and concentrate on all of the TI techniques I have picked up from BT. I am relaxed, comfortable and I can swim for a long time. Now I decide to see how fast I can swim a 50. I go all out and swim the 50 in :40. Now I don't have it on video, but I believe I was swimming the TI way, just moving all of my body parts a whole lot faster. Of course at the end of the 50 I can hardly breathe anymore!
My hypothesis is that if I had the physical conditioning, I could keep up the :40/50 pace all day. It is the same with cycling and running. If my body is in the proper physical condition, I can whip yor butt, if not, I start puking before the finish. I realize swimming technique is very important, but I believe my times will improve as I get more fit; hopefully, a lot. I know nothing of coaching, this is just an observation about myself and what I think I need to do to go faster in the water.

Edited by StartingOld 2006-01-25 4:35 PM
2006-01-25 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
I did the same as you a couple years ago. I did the TI drills, read the book etc. Then I had a masters swim coach watch me swim and he gave me other drills to do. It had an immediate effect. I was swaying back and forth (side to side) as I tried to rotate my body. My hadns were not entering the water straight either. The coach made me swim with a small wooden dowel and concentrate on keeping my head down. This straightened me out - no pun intended. I remember swimming much faster very shortly after. He also told me not to bring my arm under my body on the return (as in TI), but to keep my elbow up and bring my arm straight back (fingers pointing toward the bottom of the pool. It helps alot IMHO to have an experienced swimmer or coach watch you swim a little bit. My $.02

2006-01-25 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
Naperville, IL
Jumped in the pool in September 2005 for the first time ever. Was dead after 5 laps. Built that up to where I could swim 1000 yds. The week before my TI workshop I swam 1000 yd tt in 23:07. 2 days after my TI workshop I swam it in 18:07. I've since improved that to 16 min flat. While by no means fast (I'm 6'2", 200lbs), that's a big increase in my book. Just for kicks I tried swimming 2 miles straight last week.... no problem. Did it in 67 mins and change. I have no other basis for copmparison, but TI helped me greatly. Worth every penny.
2006-01-25 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Did a weekend camp 2 years ago, got the DVD, all did little for me. I do incorporate some TI techniques into my swimming, like swimming downhill, rotating, streamlining, but I'm not a devotee.
2006-01-25 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I relearned how to swim using a private TI coach. Since June when I actually started swimming my 100 yd time has dropped  a minute...still slow but make steady progress.

I see TI as giving me the tools to feel comfortable in the water, have better body position, learning to be able to swim longer distance, gaining confidence but I see it as a jumping off place. For everyone who could improve in body position, TI will help. There are other aspects not covered as well by TI.

My TI coach did tell me when she swims faster her arm enters farther in front not by her ear like they teach.

Congrats at making a huge jump in improvement!! It will help you a lot in your upcoming tri season.

2006-01-25 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Having never done a TI workshop I'm not sure what they teach or anything. But from what I know about swimming since I was a little guy and have raced a long time the only way I can get faster is if I swim faster. I try to do sprints one day a week. Or if your doing intervals try pushing yourself on your last 50 yards. One thing you have to remember is not to sacrifice technique for speed. You will work twice as hard to get somewhere if your technique sucks.

There is a pro-triathlete out there that was usually dead last in the swim and kicked butt on the bike and the run. I can't remember his name but I saw his times for everything and was amazed at the time he made up.
2006-01-25 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Montana

I have not seen TI.  Recently I had a few comments from a coach and PRESTO, my swim is remarkably easier.  I'ts all in the little things. 

We have a few very fast swimmers in our masters group.  I watch them and realize they do things different.  One  rotates from side to side.  The other (Olympic distance swimmer) is always square in the water but his reach is huge.  Everyone is different and differtnt little things seem to work better for different people.  In my opinion, a good coach can help.

2006-01-25 10:18 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I learned a lot from TI and still do TI drills at the beginning of every session.  I also try to incorporate stuff that is not taught in TI (although Terry Laughlin HAS written specific articles on propulsion/pull/catch, etc) and find additional help in those things.  Swimming technique improvment is a constant reiterative process. 

2006-01-26 4:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

All this TI talk is interesting as I have been toying with the idea of doing a two day training camp - but it's expensive. (I have got the DVD and the book). I came from a  non swim background - ie couldn't freestyle until getting lessons at age 27! I have soldiered on in the past trying to pick up hints from forums like this. Upon reading the TI stuff I immediately was able to get better positioned in the water and found that my times lowered somewhat but I felt like I was fighting the water less which lowered my stress level a lot! For absolute  beginners like me, I think the TI drills break down the components of the whole stroke into very 'doable' chunks, allowing mastery of those bits. The thought of 'improving my stoke' as a whole is a little daunting!

I'm also of the mind that in a lot of tri's being a poor swimmer may not be a big handicap. My reckoning would be that it would require a lot more training time and effort to make up 2 minutes in the swim leg than getting two minutes back on the bike or run. I read in a tri mag that a study was done on IM competitors and showed the single most important determinant of overall time was the amount of time they spent trainig on the bike.

2006-01-26 4:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is the main reason I am a "sprint" specialist. My swim. On the bike I am usually a top 10-15, my run is middle of the pack but anything over 500 meters in the water and I loose huge time. Too much to make up on the bike. 500 m or less and I loose 30-60 seconds to the top guys, a lot I know but I can ride 22-24mph (avg. of last seasons events) so I make that up that swim time pretty quickly. When I go to Oly distance however my swim looses go from 60 seconds or so to a over 3 minutes(3:10 in the one I did last season), too much to make up on the bike. I also have been doing the TI drills and it has helped me a lot with being effecient but I don't think I am any faster. I will say that it has done two things however, made me a lot more comfortable in the water and lowered my strokes per length from 22 down to 16.
2006-01-27 7:05 AM

Pro
Andover
I have a question regarding one’s hand crossing mid-line on the stroke as mine is doing the same. Do you “dig deeper” to keep your hand from crossing? I was told you should make a “sweeping S motion” near your chest. In order for me to do this, my hand crosses mid-line. The only way for me to keep crossing is to force my hand down deeper. Is this correct?

Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow Total Immersion Swimmers? Rss Feed  

of 2