General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow Total Immersion Swimmers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: #331610

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Slow Total Immersion Swimmers?

Rob - here is where swimming approaches clash in particular the TI way vs. others. When swimming, if I follow the TI way, it is suggested for you to glide as much as possible leading with your arm ahead of you and then do the switch. In my own swimming experience I found this to be hard for two reasons:

1) While it might seem more efficient as you swim “effortlessly” as I glide more, my swim times are considerably slower (I can swim with a 12-13 strokes count per length at 1:20 per 100 yds at s steady pace)

2) And most important since my leading arm is stretched ahead of me doing the glide, by the time I start the pull or switch I feel a lot more stress on my shoulder as your hand is completely straight ahead of you.

To correct that now I don’t glide as much but I do more strokes keeping a constant momentum. SO, as soon as my hand ENTERS the water my leading arm will go forward and DOWN (gliding for just a very brief moment). By doing this I accomplish 3 things: a keep the momentum going, hence swimming faster. I can achieve a better balance as my body rolls easier causing less stress to my shoulders. And last but not least, by doing this my hand will move down and out when starting the reach and then I can CATCH more water by the time I am doing the pull (in the s motion) bringing my arm closer to my body and pushing more water -> By doing this my stroke count goes up to 14-15 per length but my times fall to 1:15 per 100 yds at same steady pace

It is not wise to focus on this aspect of your swim until you can achieve a correct body position/balance. But if your position is good and your swimming times are now consistent you can gain a lot by working on your reach, catch, pull and kick...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow Total Immersion Swimmers? Rss Feed  

of 2