General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Easiest" Ironman or Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-02-14 7:55 PM
in reply to: #345470

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: "Easiest" Ironman or Iron Distance
Rocket Man - 2006-02-14 9:34 AM

Nancy,

I wasn't trying to flame you guys at all. I think its great that you are doing what you are doing. Like I said before the words "easy" and "Ironman" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Maybe the question could have been posed a different way, or the situation explained prior to asking the question. Good luck to you both.

Hey, here's tid bit. The question WAS posed in a different way. The question is which is the easiest ironman, not which is easy. That little suffix changes the meaning a lot, and it's valid to make a comparison without diminishing your glory, or whatever, for finishing Lake Placid. So all your crap before about people saying the races are easy...remember that?...it's all moot.

2006-02-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #344247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Kinda what I was thinking skavoovie...

great article Rhonda...you are an inspiration!

Kelly
2006-02-14 9:59 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Rhonda you are a great inspiration. I remember seeing you at the Delaware Diamondman on the run course at a point where I was falling apart at the seams. Seeing you out there battling your way thru that race and seeing the smile on your face despite the conditions really inspired me and helped me reach the finish. Thank you!!

I would suggest IM Florida. I will be doing it for my first IM this fall. The water is warm (Yes its an Ocean swim), the bike and run are relatively flat and the support is top notch plus there will be more folks at all levels to run with to help you reach the finish.
2006-02-15 5:47 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I thought they were not going to have the Florida IM after this year? Was that bad info?
2006-02-15 5:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I think the Florida IM is already full. If I remember correctly, it filled up in 3 days or something crazy like that.
2006-02-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: #346181

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Try 3 hours .........

You gotta be ready with your high speed connection and c.c. as soon as they open registration on Sunday after the years race.

Unless you want to make the trip out of country (which is an option for the more well off of the tri world - but not most of us).

2006-02-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Since we are interested in word play...I'll do you one better. Ironmans ARE easy.

That doesn't mean they are EFFORTLESS though. It takes effort to get out of bed at 4:30am to go to a cold(ish) pool. It takes effort to get out and run or ride when it's cold, snowing, raining or all three at the same time. It takes effort to schedule your workouts and family life so that one or the other doesn't suffer.

But it is easy. You keep putting one foot in front of the other every day: to the end of your workout, to the end of the day, end of the week, end of the month, and then to the finish line of your race. You keep going, you keep driving. It takes effort, but it's easy. For those that don't put in the effort...the race will weed you out.

Are Ironmans easy? You bet! Are the effortless...not on your life.

Rhonda and Nancy...you let me know where you'll be doing your race and I'll do what I can to be there to cheer you on. Clearly, you have the will to put in the work necessary to get to the finish. And WHEN you make it to the finish, I'll be happy to call you Ironmen. Regardless of how easy it was...
2006-02-15 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Thank you!

What about Arizona? I hear the wind is wicked as all get out but that it's flat and there are no oceans in Arizona (hear that Rhonda? I think she's chicken poo for not wanting to swim in the ocean and tease her about it till she wants to turn off her computer when she sees my e-mails).

Idaho is out for me. I am just not interested. I would like to do USA but it is VERY hilly.
2006-02-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #346181

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Abear2 - 2006-02-15 6:48 AM I think the Florida IM is already full. If I remember correctly, it filled up in 3 days or something crazy like that.

I'm doing IM FL and yes- it's already full.  It actually filled up within a few hours after registration opened.

2006-02-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: #346403

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

devo27 - 2006-02-15 11:51 AM Since we are interested in word play...I'll do you one better. Ironmans ARE easy. That doesn't mean they are EFFORTLESS though. It takes effort to get out of bed at 4:30am to go to a cold(ish) pool. It takes effort to get out and run or ride when it's cold, snowing, raining or all three at the same time. It takes effort to schedule your workouts and family life so that one or the other doesn't suffer. But it is easy. You keep putting one foot in front of the other every day: to the end of your workout, to the end of the day, end of the week, end of the month, and then to the finish line of your race. You keep going, you keep driving. It takes effort, but it's easy. For those that don't put in the effort...the race will weed you out. Are Ironmans easy? You bet! Are the effortless...not on your life. Rhonda and Nancy...you let me know where you'll be doing your race and I'll do what I can to be there to cheer you on. Clearly, you have the will to put in the work necessary to get to the finish. And WHEN you make it to the finish, I'll be happy to call you Ironmen. Regardless of how easy it was...

I totally disagree.   Although my farthest tri is only a 1/2 IM, I am certain that an IM is not easy.  There may be parts of the race where it seems easy because you feel great, but that doesn't last forever.  Like any other race there's going to be ups and downs and it's not easy dealing with the mental/emotional rollercoaster.   

Training is also not easy- it's not easy to give up other aspects of your life because you have to train.  It's a HUGE sacrifice.  It's do-able, but also not easy- you have to constantly keep reminding yourself of your IM goal.  It's easier to quit than to train.  It's hard to make yourself go bed early because you're so tired.  Or skip out on junk food becuase you know you'll stomach will be upset for eating it when you train.  It's not easy waking up early before anyone else gets up to train when you know you can sleep in.  Easy?  I hardly think so.  You think it's easy to ride a bike for about 7 hours and deal with a sore butt?  Or deal with your legs hurting so badly while you're trying to finsih a marathon?  Or swimming 2.4 miles in choppy ocean waters?  Easy- I doubt it.  But I'll let you know how "easy" my first IM is after I complete it this fall.

2006-02-15 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I have not had one race yet where I did not say, "Piece of cake. I should do this every weekend" usually followed, pretty quickly by, "This sucks I want to dnf. Get me out of here". I suspect the IM will be the same.

2006-02-15 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quebec City

writers2 - 2006-02-12 6:27 PM I hate hills. And I won't do an ocean swim. I haven't done an IM, just a half, but in planning my one race of a lifetime, what are some thoughts? I know, I know, they all have some hills, but I'm afraid I wouldn't make any cut-off with the biggies. I live on the east coast/Mid-Atlantic, region. Thanks. writers2

HERE TRI THIS http://www.esprittriathlon.com/ as far as I know this one seems easier :

SWIM: 3.8 Km (2.4 mi.) Time Limit: 2 hrs

The 3.8 Km (2.4 mi) swim will be in the Olympic Rowing Basin. The Basin is a 2 km long, 100 m wide and 3 m deep swimming pool. There is no current in the basin.  The water has been tested and is superior for  swimming.  Wind will have zero wave effect. The expected water temperature will be 22°C (around 72°F) and we recommend wet suits. The course is 2 laps of 1900 metres, a down-and-back swim.  Spectators can walk along the basin wall on the stands side and watch the swimmers.

BIKE: 180 Km (112 mi) Time Limit: 10 hours

The 180 km (112 mi) cycle will consist of 41 laps of the Circuit Gilles- Villeneuve which is the site of the Formula 1 Canadian Grand-Prix. The 4.4 km loop has the best road surface in North America. Our computer timing system will count the laps for the triathletes.  On each lap you will have access to the aid station or "PITS" (see info on aid stations).  The distance on your bike computer will give you a good idea of where you are on the course and you can check this against our count which is shown on a large screen video monitor coming out of the hair pin turn. This monitor indicates your bib number and the number of laps which you have completed. REMEMBER, EXIT THE COURSE WHEN THE MONITOR INDICATES 40 LAPS!

MARATHON: 42.2 Km (26.2 mi) Time Limit: 16 hours

The 42.2 Km (26.2 mi) marathon starts on the Voie Maritime on the SEAWAY side of the transition area. You enter the Voie Maritime behind boat hanger No. 9 in the transition area.  On the Voie Maritime you will complete the first 2 Km of the marathon with a turn-around after 1 Km.  You will then return to the basin and circle the Olympic Rowing Basin 9 times.   The first 8 laps are 4.5 Km and the 9th lap is 4.2 Km ending at the Finish Line.  The course will have you pass to the right of the Finish Line on the water side and through the transition area 8 times.  In the transition area you wil go over any swimmers exiting the basin on our run bridge.  This is the only hill on the course!  The run course is flat and fast.  On your 9th lap you will be given a wristband. This will signify to the course marshals that you have now completed the marathon and may enter the "home stretch" to the finish line.

2006-02-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #346428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
runnergirl29 - 2006-02-15 9:19 AM

I totally disagree.   Although my farthest tri is only a 1/2 IM, I am certain that an IM is not easy.  There may be parts of the race where it seems easy because you feel great, but that doesn't last forever.  Like any other race there's going to be ups and downs and it's not easy dealing with the mental/emotional rollercoaster.   

Training is also not easy- it's not easy to give up other aspects of your life because you have to train.  It's a HUGE sacrifice.  It's do-able, but also not easy- you have to constantly keep reminding yourself of your IM goal.  It's easier to quit than to train.  It's hard to make yourself go bed early because you're so tired.  Or skip out on junk food becuase you know you'll stomach will be upset for eating it when you train.  It's not easy waking up early before anyone else gets up to train when you know you can sleep in.  Easy?  I hardly think so.  You think it's easy to ride a bike for about 7 hours and deal with a sore butt?  Or deal with your legs hurting so badly while you're trying to finsih a marathon?  Or swimming 2.4 miles in choppy ocean waters?  Easy- I doubt it.  But I'll let you know how "easy" my first IM is after I complete it this fall.

Easy vs Effort... Easy is a state of mind. Easy is the choice to do it or not to do it. Its the effort that costs you. The race (and training) was easy, but it NEVER was effortless.

I totally agree with you - from the standpoint of effort. Are there days you want to quit? Sure. Do other things get in the way? Of course they do. Were there times during the race that I wanted to quit. You bet I did. And it IS a huge sacrifice to train for this event. My point is, it's easy to make those choices of not stopping, of getting out of bed when it would nicer to stay in, of staying away from junk food; if you want to finish an Ironman. Are those choices painless? No, there not. But, if you're committed to the task at hand you make the easy choice to endure the pain whether it's mental or physical because you know the reward.

I got this tid-bit from Paula Newby-Fraser. I talked to her the day before my IM in Arizona. She asked me how I was doing and I said I was a little worried about the race (it's an IM afterall). She then said, "Did you train?" "Of course I did". "Then it's easy (her word). You just keep going. Don't stop moving forward and I'll see you cross the finish line."

I'll stand by what I said. It's easy to finish, but it requires effort to stay the course. You either want it or you don't...how easy is that?

Rhonda and Nancy, again, thanks for the inspiration. BTW, IMAZ was a pretty flat course except for a couple of hills on the run. It was windy, but all the locals swore up and down that it was kind of a freak of nature that it was that windy for that time of the year. Check the post on IMAZ a few threads down. Those of us who did it last year put some comments up about the race.
2006-02-15 1:03 PM

User image

new orleans
I have to agree and disagree with this logical/illogical discussion. (and having never finished an IM) okay. If you train for an Ironman with the goal of finishing, meaning you will be satisfied with your performance at any time and never push yourself to exhaustion, then it will be "easy" to train and complete the race. As you said, you just keep going forward. However, if you are trying to win the race/age group, etc and you have to do harder difficult workouts (sprints, tempo) throughout your training, it is a totally different thing. I can run for hours at a constant "comfortable pace" and while there are many times I want to stop, it is not bc it is difficult. Now if I go to the track and do mile repeats, I want to stop because it is hard, my body aches, my mind want to quit, but you keep going, that is difficult. Granted ever person has there own level of training, and it is all a personal goal, but I do know that running a 6 hour marathon versus a 4 hour marathon require completely different levels of mindset (effort and degrees of difficulty).
2006-02-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #346413

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Nancy! (BTW, welcome back!!!)

I signed up for the IMAZ last April when I was 280+ pounds. I'm now in fighting form at 170 lbs. and 53 days away.

I'm so excited for both of you!!

I was at IMAZ last year and it WAS windy, but it was abnormal. They don't expect it to be that way this year. But the benefit was it wasn't hot. So no wind=heat. I'm ok with that, just keep it in mind!

The climbs in the run are actually minimal. Doesn't mean they won't seem like Mt. Everest when I get to them, but they are not (Mt. Everest, I mean.)

I'll let you know my thoughts after the race. It doesn't fill up like the others do, because the race is relatively new. But it was super well supported. I know it costs more to do an Mdot sponsored race, but it gives me a sense of security to know that, hands down, it will be extremely well organized and supported. I don't want to wonder if there will be food at an aids station or if they will not be able to find my special needs bag or whatever. So first IM? An Mdot.

But here's my other thought, Mdot sponsored or not, you're an Ironman and worthy of an Mdot tattoo after an IM distance race. You do the Chessie? You get that d*&# tattoo!!! (o:

Dana L.
2006-02-15 2:10 PM

User image

Elite

I wish I could of jumped in this thread sooner to address Rocket Man's comment.

When I joined this site last year I too was shopping around what IM to race.  I posted a similar post asking for recommendations on an "easier" IM.  RocketMan (Brett) responded with almost the same response....."There is no such thing."  At the time I was kind of putt off by this statement.  Months later and much more smarter I now know what he was saying.  Brett is right in defending the sacredness (?) of the challenge called Ironman.  Maybe the use of the word "easy" was inappropriate.  I know it was when I posted this question.  Like someone said earlier, a more appropriate question may have been "which IM is better for a bad swimmer"  which is my case.

I don't want to speak for Brett but I think I know where he's coming from.  A person gives so much of themselves training for a full IM and during the event itself that using words like "easy" cheapens it. 

I appreciate Brett's comments.  He is right to defend the race and those who have completed one.

On another note to the original poster.  Don't limit yourself to only "IronmanM" M-Dot races.  There are a few Independent 140.6 races out there worth looking at.  Some mentioned Chesapeake Man.  There's also Redman (Oklahoma) and Grand Columbian (Washington).  I was leaning towards Cheeseman until I learned that the 2.4 miles might be upstream against a current all while bouncing off of 100's of stinging jellyfish.  Apparently someone has posted that the current will be against the swimmers this year.  Because of this I'm looking at Redman.  Its a lake swim, two laps.  The bike is rolling hills w/flats and the run is on a running path.  Sounds nice but its two weeks sooner, which will be two weeks closer to my Half IM which is August 20th.  Give independent races a chance.  Do some research.  Good luck!

http://www.redmantriathlon.com/

http://www.thegrandcolumbian.com/course.htm

http://www.tricolumbia.org/chesapeakeman.html

2006-02-15 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I want Mdot cause of the Tat issue : )

Wow.. I am starting to get scared. I asked Rhonda, still have not heard, if she would be OK with AZ. My husband says sounds good to him and reminded me to hydrate.

Hot is not an issue for me. I hate hot for running but let's be honest, what are the chances I am going to be doing much running before the sun goes down? Not likely!

2006-02-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: #346696

User image

Elite
San Diego
nliedel - 2006-02-15 1:22 PMI want Mdot cause of the Tat issue : )Wow.. I am starting to get scared. I asked Rhonda, still have not heard, if she would be OK with AZ. My husband says sounds good to him and reminded me to hydrate.Hot is not an issue for me. I hate hot for running but let's be honest, what are the chances I am going to be doing much running before the sun goes down? Not likely!
You can get an Mdot no matter what race you do. 140.6 is 140.6. You won't find an Ironman finisher that would disagree with that.Considering the bike cutoff is 5:30, you had better hope it is still daylight before you start running or you will watching the finishers sitting in the bleachers in your street clothes
2006-02-15 3:37 PM

Veteran
Wow Dana! What are your tips? Amazing and inspirational. I wish I could be there to cheer you on! Just make sure you write about your experiences so we can live vicariously through you. And so many others of you who have written with great stories and personal challenges.

For the record, Nancy L. and I have never met. BT is just such an amazing community, that many of us have "met" through this site.

And thanks to those who said so many nice things about my article. It is my personal goal to do good things for others, whether by example, anonymously or direct action.

A few years ago, someone on BT sent me a personal diary of a woman who had a goal of finishing an Ironman. She was a large woman, had a coach, and trained like crazy. She actually entered a few and didn't make the bike cut-off. She finally did and although she didn't make the 17 hour cut-off, she continued the marathon until she crossed the finish line. It was past midnight, but she had friends and family with her with flashlights. The race director heard she was coming in and brought the official photographer back to take an "official" photo although she was listed as DNF. Her story has always inspired me and since then, I heard that there are many who actually finish and Ironman, although not in the official finisher's time.
When I look at Iron distance races, I always scroll to the end to see the last times in.
I continue to be wowed by people who have that kind of courage.

That said, I would absolutely love to hear someone say, "Rhonda, you are an Ironman (or whatever the moniker of the race is)." I do realize it takes a great deal of training and commitment. Jeez, you should have seen this old gal on the marathon training runs. Or the hours and hours I spent on the bike and in the water. I know it won't be easy. But neither were the hill repeats and spinning while watching my son's Little League games and embarrassing the hell out of him.

Go forward my dear friends and train hard.
Rhonda
2006-02-15 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You actually think I am going to be RUNNING the first five miles? You have not been in a race with me
2006-02-15 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Don't be scared!!!!!

Believe me, we've been travelling the same road. I'm still overwhelmed that this is on my plate, but I figure, even if I don't make those cut off times, I'm my own hero.

Here are the bike and run profiles. Don't let the spikes fool you!! For the bike, the greatest change in elevation is 200 ft. That's practially nothing. That's like going over an overpass or something.

As to the run profile, the elevation changes aren't much different, but they are over a very short distance so that does make them a little bit extra tough. But heck, I figure if I have to walk up them, at least it's just for a couple hundred feet at the most...

(arzbikepro.gif)

(arzrunpro.gif)

Attachments
----------------
arzbikepro.gif (9KB - 30 downloads)
arzrunpro.gif (7KB - 28 downloads)

2006-02-15 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

I’m looking for an easy 5K, anyone offended?

I’m looking for an easy 10K, how about now?

An easy sprint or Olympic try, anyone?

Easy charity ride, century, or road race?

How about an easy marathon or ultra?

An easy open water swim?

An easy Ironman or Iron distance triathlon?

I’m just trying to figure out where is the line drawn between an easy event and the sacred cows so I can phrase future post correctly.

Writers2, IMCDA is a good event.  Some hills but nothing crazy and the location is great.

Edited by T in Liberty Lake 2006-02-15 4:23 PM
2006-02-15 4:33 PM

User image

Elite

nliedel - 2006-02-15 3:22 PM I want Mdot cause of the Tat issue : ) Wow.. I am starting to get scared. I asked Rhonda, still have not heard, if she would be OK with AZ. My husband says sounds good to him and reminded me to hydrate. Hot is not an issue for me. I hate hot for running but let's be honest, what are the chances I am going to be doing much running before the sun goes down? Not likely!

As Mad Cow stated in his post....any person who completes a 140.6 race is an Ironman by definition.  This topic has been discussed to death in this forum.  I have yet to hear anyone in person or on this board or Slowtwitch etc disagree.  If you're caught up on the "Ironman" name brand then think about how watered down the brand is.  Ironman, the company, makes weight scales, bike gloves, sweatbands, stretch cords, bouncy balls, etc etc etc. 

In MY opinion, there's Ironman the PERSON......then there's Ironman the PRODUCT.

When I complete my 140.6 mile triathlon I will be an Ironman.......period.  And so will you regardless what race you do.  Anyone disagree?

2006-02-15 5:16 PM
in reply to: #346755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
T in Liberty Lake - 2006-02-15 2:23 PM

I’m looking for an easy 5K, anyone offended?

I’m looking for an easy 10K, how about now?

An easy sprint or Olympic try, anyone?

Easy charity ride, century, or road race?

How about an easy marathon or ultra?

An easy open water swim?

An easy Ironman or Iron distance triathlon?

I’m just trying to figure out where is the line drawn between an easy event and the sacred cows so I can phrase future post correctly.

Writers2, IMCDA is a good event.  Some hills but nothing crazy and the location is great.

Well said. If someone finishes an 'easy' Ironman have they not completed the distance? I don't see what the problem is...it's like saying, what's the easiest route to the top of Mt. Everest. If you're asking, you know it's going to be a difficult task and a long journey. And if you don't know it's going to be difficult, the race or training will weed you out anyway. Why worry about someone calling it easy (which, she didn't)? I don't feel that my IM finish was lessened by Rhonda's (or anyone else's) question of an EASIEST Ironman. Bring it on folks...ask my opinion on an easy Ironman anytime. I won't be offended.
2006-02-17 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
"Easiest" Ironman can also be defined by someone as the course in which they have the best chance of actually making the time cutoffs with their own particular limiters (may it be hills, swimming in the ocean, riding in the wind etc.) as well as the course which will not kill them and will also leave them in as close to one piece as possible after an Ironman, so to speak.
Most of us are just looking to find the course that gives us the best chance of actually obtaining the title of Ironman (though my first will hopefully be Lake Placid which will force me to deal with my big weakness, which is biking up and down mountains, err I mean hills).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Easiest" Ironman or Iron Distance Rss Feed  

of 3