General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tulsa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-03-08 10:58 PM

Subject: Tulsa
Any beginners in Tulsa who want to start training let me know.

2006-03-09 8:03 AM
in reply to: #364782

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Tulsa
Hi Jim-
I'm not a beginner, but I am in Tulsa. Welcome to BT. Have you checked out the Tulsa Area Triathletes yet, I am a board member. Email or pm me I can get you lots of good local information and introduce you to some beginners in the area. Also let me know what kind of background (training wise) you have.

www.tatok.com

Renee

2006-03-09 8:57 AM

Yeah, I was actually looking into joining TAT sometime soon. I have a pretty busy schedule with grad school, work, and my daughter. I need help with the technical aspects of swimming. I'll check out the website, thanks.
2006-03-09 9:05 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's only $15.00 to join and you can participate as little or as much as you like, very low pressure. We do have swim training every Wednesday night (until April).... lots of different levels of people. It's fun and we have a couple members/coaches that help with techniqueand drills. In April we move to Monday night swims at Skiatook lake, very helpful if you plan on doing any open water swims. Are you planning on doing the Spring Fever Triathlon at the end of April? It's a great race for a beginner. Also if you are new to cycling - a great place to start is the Freewheel Training Rides. They start with very small distance rides and gradually work up each weekend - they are held on Saturdays and Sundays - you don't have to be doing freewheel to participate. Lots of different people going at varing speeds. All the info is also on the website.

2006-03-09 11:30 AM

Mondays might work out for actually. I won't be able to do any actual triathlons until I'm done with grad school. I work all day sat and sun right now too. I think I might go ahead and join and try to get in on swimming when it switches to mondays. Thank you for the info.
2007-01-13 4:14 PM

I am a very beginner, and live in Tulsa, and interested in training and working up to do a triathlon. Let me know what you are looking for. Bailey

2007-01-13 4:51 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi Bailey ~
Tulsa has a really nice triathlete community. The Tulsa Area Triathletes (TAT) are workig on more group type activities. We currently have swim training on Monday nights, there are track workouts on Tuesdays at TU, we have power crank spin classes (you can just spin without using the power cranks) on Thursdays. Do you have any place that you swim at right now? There is a sprint triathlon in Claremore at the end of April - it is an excellent beginners tri. Have you done any of the 3 sports at all before or are you new at all three? We are going to have a TRI101 Clinic in February - that would be great for you to come to. Let me know what you are interested in and I would be happy to help you.

Renee
2007-01-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: #653658

haha, I just emailed you! I am from Claremore orignally and am used to alot of those runs. I ran in HS x-country, and track, I am a good swimmer, but never competed. I ride bikes, but again for recreation on riverside etc. I am going to get a road bike b/c all I have now is a mountain bike. I am not a novice to exercise by anymeans and have done alot of RunTulsa races in the past. Not any this past year though. I would love to try and do the race at the end of April. I am just needing to find out where and when and what time so I can come to all the training I can in addition to my personal. I am so happy to have found you and to learn about the TAT and the great Tulsa Community. I had no idea!
2007-01-13 5:05 PM
in reply to: #653658

No, I don't swim anywhere now. I joined Aspen Athletic b /c they have a pool at the 61st location, but I joined the BA one.....I'm not sure how that is going to work out yet, so I am open to going somewhere else. I have no idea how long the races are? Like the one in April. What do I need to be training for? I know that there are more "beginner" ones. All tris aren't the Ironman, so, that is what I am wanting to get into-for now, at least- I really don't know what to expect. Is it like the runs, like 3k, 5k, or 10k? just tri? what about the dus?
2007-01-13 5:24 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Spring Fever Triathlon is going to be April 22 it is at the claremore rec center it is a sprint distance - pool swim - they have a really nice pool (if you are not familiar with it). It is a 500 yard swim, 12 mile bike (small hills), and a 5k flat run through the neighborhood behind the rec center.

Tulsa Tri is at Skiatook Lake, I believe it is going to be June 10th, it is olympic distance and the swim takes place in Skiatook Lake.

Well it sounds like you have a great background in fitness so triathon should be a natural transition for you. You can definately do triathlon on a mountain bike (at least shorter distance) but a road bike will make it easier and is probably something you would want for longer distance. As soon as daylight savings time starts - there is a Wednesday night bike ride which is a lot of fun about 150 people show up and ride variations of the same course and then hang out afterwards. You should definately try one coming to swim some Monday night and a spin class. The spin class is $5.00 - the swim is $5.00 if you are not a member and then we each pay the coach - but if you just want to come and see if it would be something you were interested in - I can get you in (although we are not doing it this Monday because of the holiday). Many of the triathletes go to Tuesday night track as well..... Email me and I can get you time and location details.

Also, when the weather gets nice we meet up at the lake for lake swims. I am also going to lead some rides over the Claremore course on a few weekends.

You can keep up to date on things on the forum yo signed up on and on the TAT website.

Renee
2007-02-08 1:04 PM

Renee, may I ask where the Wed. rides leave from and what time of year they start?

2007-02-08 1:22 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Wednesday night ride leaves from a parking lot on Jackson St. - across the street from the Rowing club (across from where Oktoberfest is). Go west on 21st over the Arkansas river - Turn right at the first signal (Jackson) and the parking lot is just down the road on the west side. People typically start leaving around 5:30ish. People start riding Wednesday night ride after daylight savings time begins - which this year is going to be earlier. There are several different distances and routes that people go - if you are interested - let me know. We can make sure you ride with someone familiar with the routes and maybe at the same riding ability as you - would love to have you.

Renee
2007-02-08 1:26 PM

Thanks Renee, I actually live on Lake Tenkiller but I am going to come ride some Wed in Tulsa.
2007-02-08 1:47 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Okay great! Are you knew to triathlon? We are going to have a TRI 101 clinic on March 3 if you are new and interested let me know and I will send you the information.

2007-02-08 1:59 PM

yes, I am knew and planning on competing in the Claremore, and Skiatook events as well as an Off road event in Eureka Springs this year. I would love the information. If electronic my email address is [email protected] and my mailing address is Brad James PO Box 127 Tahlequah,OK 74465 guess maybe I am not suppose to give my address but its fine.
2007-02-08 2:13 PM
in reply to: #684238

I am going to be out of town on March 3rd!! Is there any chance you are going to have another clinic? If you're not, I'll just catch the next one.

2007-02-08 2:17 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think that is the only one scheduled - but I am going to lead some bike rides over the Claremore and Skiatook courses previous to both races.....and I am always available to help answer any questions on races or gear.

2007-02-08 2:22 PM

Thanks for the help and I will probably have some equipment questions. Do you want to do the swim leg for me? Actually I am doing well on my training schedule.
2007-02-08 2:49 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
That's funny because if you new what kind of swimmer I was you probably wouldn't ask that question....I'm working hard on my swimming - I can swim forever - but I am incredibly slow.

I'm a much better cyclist than a swimmer......
2007-02-08 2:56 PM

I also am a much better rider than a swimmer. I am doing the Total Immersion training at the moment trying to improve my swimming. What events are you doing this year?
2007-02-11 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
How's the Total Immersion training going? I recently purchased the freestyle video and am continuing my TI training. I would love to go to one of their training camps.

Chap

2007-02-11 9:30 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Chap ~
They are having a training clinic here in Tulsa on March 17 and 18 that is a full class and then they are also doing just a 1 hour evaluation clinic. If you are interested let me know and I will post it up. I am going to post it on the TAT clinic as well.

Renee
2007-02-11 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
What's the cost?
2007-02-11 2:53 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's pricey.....all the info is in the brochures posted on the home page....

www.tatok.com

I think I am going to sign up for the one hour clinic.

2007-02-12 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
WOW! The two-day is roughly $33 / hour. Since I'm working up the nerve to buy a new bike, I'll have to pass.

Darn!

Chap

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tulsa Rss Feed  

of 2