General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-04-01 10:50 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up
I went on a 42 mile bike ride today. Now, I knew I might be dropped, but not as horribly as I was.

I figured I would be able to keep up, because a few people from my "Tri 101" group joined the ride. I kept up for 20 miles, barely... running 17 mph average.

Then, we turned around... and it was OVER for me. I just DIED. My tummy started to grumble... and every hill I had to go up... I got slower and slower.

The thoughts that ran through my head:

1) I suck at cycling. After 1.5 years of riding, I can barely keep up with people who just started riding 3 months ago.

2) I suck at tri's. I can't run (a 12 minute mile... shin splints, etc.), and I can't ride fast. Why do I do this at all?

3) I wish someone with a truck would come back and pick me up and take me back.

4) Another HILL! Just keep pedaling... don't walk up this hill... don't do it!

5) I suck.

6) I'm hungry.

7) Damn the wind. Why did the wind decide to start blowing really hard?

And on... and on... and on...

Luckily, there was 1 GUY behind me. When he passed me, I hung with him and one other guy to find our way back to a road I knew.

Then, I stopped. I fixed my helmet (was sliding off my head), I took my long sleeve shirt off. I ate some gel. I rested.

A guy came back to check on me, as he wondered what happened to me. We rode the last 8 miles back together.

My ending average was 15.4 mph.

So, it was a very hard day and at the end of it, I had to keep reminding myself that even though I am a poor athlete, that I do this for the fun of it... and to have a reason to workout.

I tell you what though, it gets OLD being last and slow. Really old.

2006-04-01 11:27 PM
in reply to: #385742

User image

Master
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up
42 miles?!?!?! I think you need to ride at a little lower pace to build up your endurance more and then you won't be sucking it up as much in group rides. It takes a while to build up endurance and strength for many people, a select few people have bodies who adapt quickly and improve quickly in fitness level. Don't give up. Find someone who rides at your pace.
2006-04-01 11:31 PM

User image

Sister, I hear ya, loud and clear.  On my way to my ride I ran into a couple training friends.  they are heads and shoulders above me, like 5 hour 1/2 IM finishers.  They said come along and do our loop.  I expect to get dropped, and I do, but it does suck to watch people disappear into the distance.

32 mile loop, somewhere in the 14-15 mph range.  And when the hills hit (which aren't even hills to these guys, just bumps int eh road.... fuggedaboutit) I also suffer from shin splints and slow running.

But what REALLY sucks is the 50# tandem mountain bike - with a friggin 10 YEAR OLD on the back -- come whizzing by me.  I can't even catch them on the hill......  How demoralizing

At times I just said wat the hell am I doing this for.  I suck at running.  I suck at biking.  what's the friggin point? 

But I bet if we just get out there and keep doing it, we'll get better at it.....At least I hope.....  And you know what?   you thought about giving up.  Many people would have.  But you didn't .

Hang in there

Edited by ChrisM 2006-04-01 11:36 PM
2006-04-02 12:55 AM

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
i dont really ride in groups. one bit of advice i got was "like running, your long days go slow, as slow as possible, keeping your HR down. once i started doint that i went from riding 30 miles to 75 in a month. (and i still could ride after 75...) i think too many people get into a group ride and ride out of their speed zone.
2006-04-02 1:07 AM

User image

Master
Honestly 15.4 MPH over 40+ miles isn't bad... Thats a hell of a day in my book. Focus on what you did well and just keep moving forward. I have days where I feel like that all the time... It's important for me to look back at where I was and to recognize that even if I am still not where I want to be at least I am not still where I was and that I can already do more than most "regular" people.
2006-04-02 1:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
There is a gazillion folks who didn't bother to even get a ride in today! You did great!

42 miles is awesome. 15 mph average over 42 mile is very, very good on ant route with some hills in it..

2006-04-02 5:26 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
i can empathise. i have had a couple of shitty rides this week - been blown off my bike and fallen off because of clipless. i hated it!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

but i'm off out for a ride later.

its sounds like you need to ride with peeps more your level and eat more before. i've learnt about the food and hydration thing and am just trying to not panic too much.

as for the running i could only do 400m at a time and i hated it. now i'm down to 10.5 min mile. what plan are you following? i have found that braving the running three times a week has really made a difference.

also (and don't tell the non-swimmers here) but i get the impression you're a swimmer - that's the best way to be!
2006-04-02 6:25 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
This is why I stopped running with my tri group...at least for now. Whenever I get with a small pack, I feel like I have to prove myself. As one of a few experienced triathletes in the group, I feel like I need to be "the best". Truth is, I'm about 30 lbs heavier than the heaviest girl, and I'm not from a running background at all. So I lose the rest of the group after ..well...the parking lot. I spend the whole run trying to not get lost, and end up ignoring my heart rate and being MISERABLE for the whole run because I'm last and slowing other people down. I cried the last time I went out with them. When I'm alone though, everything is great...stride is lose, HR is under control, birds are singing, sun is shining, all is right with the world. So in interest of my ego and mental health...I run alone.
2006-04-02 6:38 AM
in reply to: #385791

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

phoenixazul - 2006-04-02 7:25 AM  When I'm alone though, everything is great...stride is lose, HR is under control, birds are singing, sun is shining, all is right with the world. So in interest of my ego and mental health...I run alone.

Well said and ditto for me.  I run alone and I bike alone.  Although I do like to go on bike tours, but there you get families and other individuals who are not concerned about riding fast so there is usually always someone around.  As far as I am concerned, this is an individual sport for me and the only one I am competing against is myself to improve my own fitness.

I think you did great on the ride.  I would love to be able to average over 15mph for 42 miles with hills.  Heck, I have a hard time doing that on my short flat 'round the block rides.  LOL!

2006-04-02 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Want to feel better? Look at my ride yesterday - very hilly, very windy too.  We all have those thoughts - questioning your ability, your motivation.... Pay this no mind - focus on the here and now and remember - triathlon, although a race against others, is also a race against yourself.

Later the sense of accomplishment will come and you'll feel much better.

2006-04-02 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Well I think you did great! And you probably would have thought so if you weren't with a group. I KNOW I am slow (at all 3 sports!) but I keep reminding myself that I am doing this for me. I won't be joining a running or cycling group anytime soon though! Wobbly ancient looking men overtake me when I am jogging!
42miles is awesome. I was very pleased with myself last week when I did 21 miles at an average of 14.5mph so if I was riding you definitely wouldn't have been last!
If coming last on these group rides is demoralising for you then stop doing them - don't let something like this take the fun out of your sport!

Jackie

2006-04-02 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
My motto, "FDL (finishing dead last) is beter than DNS (Did Not Show)." YOu had a hard but fruitful ride. I wish I would have gotten in a 42 mile ride yesterday - at anyspeed.
2006-04-02 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Don't give up. Take away all the numbers and remember that the process is supposed to be fun. I'm only 35 and consider myself a decent athlete, but when I compare myself to most of the triathletes in my age group it just brings me down. I think all of us beginners have these times when we wonder why the hell we should be doing this stuff.
I take what I can from people who run/swim/bike faster when I can. But I think enjoying the process is more important. I think every time I feel miserable that at least I can run/swim/bicycle and enjoy company and scenery. From what folks on here will tell us, it will come eventually. You're not alone!
2006-04-02 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

One of my bike goals for the year is to not get dropped on a certain ride. I've done it a couple times and was amazed how much I improved by keeping at it.

Your 42 miles is awesome and next time it will be a lot easier.

A lot of triathlon is mental and doing something hard for the first time for me sends my head into doubt and worry. After I do something once the next time I have more confidence which lets me do better. One of my season goals this year is to adjust my mental attitude and enjoy the moment of what I'm doing and not to judge myself because if I do, I don't do my best and it isn't fun. Sounds a bit like what happened on the road for you today.

If you really want to go with the group find someone who will ride your pace with you and enjoy the day together. The last time I did the group ride there was a guy who was about my speed and we had a great time riding.

I've been last out of the water more times than I'd prefer, I bet you swim well.....working on what is difficult for you will make you improve and get stronger.

I tri it for the same reasons you do challenge myself. I normally come in the bottom 5% of everyone...it can get demoralizing, but for me it is huge improvement from where I used to be...fat, lazy on the couch doing nothing athletic.

42 miles is awesome!

2006-04-02 2:42 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Did you follow a drinking/eating plan while riding? Do you think you just pushed harder than you should? Did you ride a course with lot of hills? Those would be my guesses as to why you had a rough time today, however making a better job with nutrition, pacing and improving your climbing skills should help a lot. But of course there is nothing as riding LOTS to become a better/faster cyclist. Keep it up, it is hard but that’s the fun!

2006-04-02 2:58 PM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
All of the other posters had outstanding ideas and thoughts. The one thing I noticed that helped me improve my biking on anything over 20 miles was nutrition.  Did you take in some calories prior to the ride and did you continue to fuel during the ride?  Biking became alot more fun when I figured out my nutrition.  Especially since you mentioned you were hungry during the ride. 

2006-04-02 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Lots of good thoughts here. If I could add my experience...

When I first started running, I was frustrated as hell because I reached a plateau and couldn't progress faster and/or farther. Then someone straightened me out - it's a gradual process and you need a PLAN to improve. Just going out and riding a long way isn't enough. You need to focus on progressing if riding long and fast is your goal. That requires a plan and diligence. Something tells me you have both because you attempted a 42 mile ride. My best is 20 miles on flat *** Cape Cod. Maybe you need to adjust your plan a little.

Don't get discouraged. If you continue to feel horrible after these group rides, don't do them anymore. If you're not having fun doing this tri thing, you won't continue to make the effort and noone, not even yourself, wants to see that happen.

Keep up the good work!
2006-04-02 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Sounds just like my ride yesterday. It was our bike clubs kick off ride. There was a long route around 41 miles and a shorter one of 18. I decided hey I have put in about 300 miles in March on my bike I should be able to keep up with the best of them. Well I was wrong. I held great the first ten or so miles with a 18-19mph average but the hills started taking their tolls plus my HR was jumping high. I watched as they got a little more ahead at each minute but I remembered I am using this as training and I have a map so no problems. The thing was it was one of my most enjoyable rides ever except fot the occasion when I would be doing 6 MPH up some of those hills. It was a beautiful day and I was doing something I love. So as I am approaching the store stop another guy is coming behind me. He took a wrong turn and added an extra mile so we stopped at the store together while the rest of the grop proceeded. We where in no rush. So as we are leaving two more riders who took a wrong turn approached us. We all headed back together. As we got to a turn we came up on the rest of the group. The club president went down and they were waiting on a car. He ended up breaking his wrist and had severe road rash. So we all then proceeded back to the cook out. I realized then what drafting was really about. I was in the middle of the pack hauling tail and feeling great. Then I fell to the back to talk to a guy I met and as we hit another lovely long hill and I slowly fell further back again. Well I continued to ride and another couple was back with me so we finished together. All in all it was a great day except for the accident but I realized that if I get dropped no problem because 1. drafting is illegal and two I am trying to accomplish so Zone"2" training. As long as I have a map I am learning new awesome routes and riding by myself is no problem plus now that the time is changed no more trainer rides and get off the greenway and hit the hills.
2006-04-02 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

I think we all make the mistake from time to time of letting a rough day or bad experience put us in a negative mental state of mind.  When this happens to me (as it often does) I try to focus only on the positive aspects of my training.  I am quite possibly the slowest triathlete on the planet (your 15+ mph average puts me to shame), but I have still come from not being able to run around the block to running a half marathon.  I used to want to quit biking after an hour and now I can go 4 hours without praying for death.  And then there's swimming.  When I first started, I coudn't swim 1 lap across my (small) pool without gasping for air.  I can now swim more than an hour non-stop. 

To make a short story long, don't let this one day get you down.  Think about how long of a ride you were able to finish with a great time.  I would kill to average that speed on such a long ride!  Group rides are always tough, too, as there are no doubt people at higher fitness and endurance levels than you.  It doesn't mean you suck, it just means that others have been at it longer than you. 

Considering there was wind and you were tackling hills, it sounds to me like you did had an awesome ride. 

2006-04-02 3:53 PM

User image

Elite

I'm surprised it took so long in this thread to bring up this point.

#6 in the list of your complaints was Hunger.  How well does your car drive down the interstate with an empty tank?  It doesn't!  And your body responded in the exact same way.  It shut down.......ran out of gas. 

#1 most important component of any physical training is nutrition (before, during, after).  If you don't get this element right then the other elements of physical training will never work.

I'm willing to bet that had you properly fueled yourself for this ride you would have stayed with the group.

Anyone with me on this?

2006-04-02 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for all the wonderful responses! Let me see if I can address some of the comments. Going by memory here.

Yes, I was hungry. No, I didn't take in enough calories pre-ride (only around 300), and I didn't take anything to eat. Then again, with no rest stop, I am not sure HOW I would have put anything in my mouth. But, for the next time, I plan on eating MORE before I ride and putting something in my tri bag that I can easily pop in my mouth while riding.

As far as the distance... I have been riding for 1.5 years. I have ridden 50 miles in one day. Then again, I got rest stops every 10-15 miles and we weren't going as fast, and that was 8 months ago. They had a "no drop" ride, but it was only going 15 miles and I didn't get up at 6:00 AM to ride 15 miles. I figured I would be OK on the 42 mile ride though, as many of the people in the group are the ones I train with weekly. Apparently, they don't die at mile 20, like I did!

A comment was made about a map. We didn't have maps. I had no clue where I was. In fact, we were in the country and many of the roads didn't have names on them. Then, we got to a neighborhood that we took MANY turns through. I got really confused. Thank goodness there was 1 guy slower than me and 1 ahead of us who knew the way. If I was completely dropped though, I did have a cell phone and I could have knocked on a door to ask my way back to the road that I did know.

What is really depressing is that after next week, that will be my ride option on Saturdays with my Tri 202 program. We use to ride with our Tri 101 group, it was around 25 miles and we all stuck together.

So... after next weekend when I go on this 42 mile hell route.. I think my plan will be to stop after 15 miles, and wait for them to come back and pick up with the group from there. The rest might do me good and it will cut 10-12 miles off the trip.

Thanks for the comments about me not being so slow. And, I would have felt better about it, had I not been dropped so badly and dead tired after 20 miles. I would feel better too if ALL but ONE of my Tri 101 people hadn't dropped me too (they have been riding for 3 months... and some of them are older than me). I figured I could at least keep up with them.

Oh well, I had a really nice 30 mile ride today and I have a plan for how to attack the killer ride next time.

2006-04-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: #385919

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Bluejack - 2006-04-02 12:42 PM

Don't give up. Take away all the numbers and remember that the process is supposed to be fun. I'm only 35 and consider myself a decent athlete, but when I compare myself to most of the triathletes in my age group it just brings me down. I think all of us beginners have these times when we wonder why the hell we should be doing this stuff.

Thanks! You sound a lot like me!

2006-04-02 7:02 PM
in reply to: #385791

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
phoenixazul - 2006-04-02 6:25 AM

This is why I stopped running with my tri group...at least for now. Whenever I get with a small pack, I feel like I have to prove myself. As one of a few experienced triathletes in the group, I feel like I need to be "the best". Truth is, I'm about 30 lbs heavier than the heaviest girl, and I'm not from a running background at all. So I lose the rest of the group after ..well...the parking lot. I spend the whole run trying to not get lost, and end up ignoring my heart rate and being MISERABLE for the whole run because I'm last and slowing other people down. I cried the last time I went out with them. When I'm alone though, everything is great...stride is lose, HR is under control, birds are singing, sun is shining, all is right with the world. So in interest of my ego and mental health...I run alone.

This is the very reason why I always run alone. I am so slow I know better than to try to keep up with a group.

Your running with your heart rate up and trying not to get lost... was totally me on Sat during that dang ride! I was completely miserable. Then, I had someone tell me how much FUN it was today. I kind of shrugged and said it probably was fun if you weren't dropped (with a smile and a laugh, not a rude "I hate you" kind of way).

2006-04-02 7:08 PM

User image

Southern California
Many people have said the same, just going on the ride is great, I havent riden in two weeks how lame is that!

"I pitty the fool that gives up." Mr. T
2006-04-02 7:44 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

KSH - next ride just have a plan, eat/drink often and go out at your own pace. It is natural to feel discourage when we have a bad ride but those are the ones we can use to learn about our strengths and weaknesses. Plus you have to test yourself at some point if you want to ride faster. It is very easy to fall in the trap of riding comfortable all the time, but then we wonder why we haven't improve much. Having a bad day is not fun at all, but next week you’ll be ready to ride a bit stronger and smarter. Unlike with the run we can push ourselves harder on the bike more often. So go out there, have fun and push a bit hard each time... you'll be riding better in no time (Search for Rich Strauss article about biking on the articles section)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up Rss Feed  

of 2