General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-04-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: #386108

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up

KSH - 2006-04-02 6:59 PM  Yes, I was hungry. No, I didn't take in enough calories pre-ride (only around 300), and I didn't take anything to eat. Then again, with no rest stop, I am not sure HOW I would have put anything in my mouth. But, for the next time, I plan on eating MORE before I ride and putting something in my tri bag that I can easily pop in my mouth while riding...

The idea is not to stuff your belly full of food before a long hard ride.  You'll just end up wearing your breakfast on your shoes.  The idea is to eat a meal high in carbs 2 hours prior to a hard ride then sip on a sport drink until you begin.  Then throughout the ride slam PowerGels or GU, or a calorie dense drink.  Unless you're doing family friendly neighborhood bike tours you'll never be stopping to rest or to eat.  You're going to have to find what works for you while you're on the saddle.  One thing I suggest is to cut up a PowerBar or Clif Bar into small pieces.  Place it in a small zip-loc baggie and tape it to your top tube.  You can easily reach down and grab a bite without making any major movements.  There are also several different types of supplement drinks you can use that are very calorie dense.

I'm willing to bet that if you nail your pre-ride nutrition you'll be amazed at how strong you feel.

2006-04-02 8:14 PM
in reply to: #385742

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I am not picking on you but I've never undertand why people tape food to the top tub of the pedal when it is so easy to stack gels or power bars on your jersey back pockets? Just wondering?

2006-04-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: #386182

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
oipolloi - 2006-04-02 8:07 PM

KSH - 2006-04-02 6:59 PM Yes, I was hungry. No, I didn't take in enough calories pre-ride (only around 300), and I didn't take anything to eat. Then again, with no rest stop, I am not sure HOW I would have put anything in my mouth. But, for the next time, I plan on eating MORE before I ride and putting something in my tri bag that I can easily pop in my mouth while riding...

The idea is not to stuff your belly full of food before a long hard ride. You'll just end up wearing your breakfast on your shoes. The idea is to eat a meal high in carbs 2 hours prior to a hard ride then sip on a sport drink until you begin. Then throughout the ride slam PowerGels or GU, or a calorie dense drink. Unless you're doing family friendly neighborhood bike tours you'll never be stopping to rest or to eat. You're going to have to find what works for you while you're on the saddle. One thing I suggest is to cut up a PowerBar or Clif Bar into small pieces. Place it in a small zip-loc baggie and tape it to your top tube. You can easily reach down and grab a bite without making any major movements. There are also several different types of supplement drinks you can use that are very calorie dense.

I'm willing to bet that if you nail your pre-ride nutrition you'll be amazed at how strong you feel.

I have a tri bag that is on top of my top tube. I think I am going to put a baggie of food in there and eat on it as needed. Cutting stuff into bites is a great idea.

Otherwise, I am going to start my ride with around 500 calories in my belly. That should get me to mile 20!

Thanks!

Edited by KSH 2006-04-02 8:43 PM
2006-04-03 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

All the nutrition comments are right on mark.

My comment is to find people that will ride with you no matter what.  Unless I am alone, I ride with some close friends (a husband and wife).  They are reasonably matched until it comes to the hills.  He has big pistons for legs and powers on up (after powering down) and tends to leave her behind.  This is a bone of contention for them and I hear about it later because she is my running partner (when I am not running alone).

I tri to take the lead as much as I can so I can hold the pace in her comfort zone and help bring her up the hills instead of waiting for her at the top.

Sorry.....bla bla bla....my point again:

Ride with people that will be there to support you and help you through the tough parts.

2006-04-03 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Good on you for sticking it out. Getting dropped and suffering your way home doubting yourself is one of the things that's going to make you a better cyclist. If you just cruised all your rides feeling froggy, you wouldn't be working hard enough.

"To be a cyclist is to be a student of pain....at cycling's core lies pain, hard and bitter as the pit inside a juicy peach. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting for an Olympic medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you're missing the essence of the sport. Without pain, there's no adversity. Without adversity, no challenge. Without challenge, no improvement. No improvement, no sense of accomplishment and no deep-down joy. Might as well be playing Tiddly-Winks." -- Scott Martin

So, now you have to "get back on the horse" keep pushing yourself (rest appropriately of course). You are better off for having suffered than if you had not. To me, all training, tri's, education, spiritual growth, all of it, is about stepping outside your self and the "limits" you have placed upon yourself. You slammed through your limits on this ride. Congratulations.

2006-04-03 10:07 AM

User image

Buttercup

Well no wonder you wanted to quit - you were trying to overcome physical hurdles AND mental hurdles. I sometime suffer from self-defeating thoughts, too, and I've gotten better at ridding myself of negative thoughts.

Change your internal dialogue. Instead of "I suck" try "Yeah, this is hard but it's a reflection of where I am in my training. Or "I'm doing the best I can; nobody said it would be easy." Or "I can do this. It's gonna be hard, but I CAN do this." Oh, and "Find your Happy Zone!" keeps me feeling loose and in a groove.

Seriously, telling yourself you suck will suck the joy and energy out of anything you do. So stop doing it! You don't suck - you're just experiencing the pain and struggle that comes with good, hard work.

Edited by Renee 2006-04-03 10:09 AM

2006-04-03 10:19 AM
in reply to: #386539

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Mike 45 - 2006-04-03 9:29 AM

All the nutrition comments are right on mark.

My comment is to find people that will ride with you no matter what. 

Sorry.....bla bla bla....my point again:

Ride with people that will be there to support you and help you through the tough parts.

Well, I sent out a message to my tri group looking for a cycling buddy for the group rides... that way we can watch after each other, not get lost and ride with someone else.

I think there is like 1 or 2 people who go as slow as me though, so we will see what pans out.

Thanks for the suggestion.
2006-04-03 10:22 AM
in reply to: #386574

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Renee - 2006-04-03 10:07 AM

Well no wonder you wanted to quit - you were trying to overcome physical hurdles AND mental hurdles. I sometime suffer from self-defeating thoughts, too, and I've gotten better at ridding myself of negative thoughts.

Change your internal dialogue. Instead of "I suck" try "Yeah, this is hard but it's a reflection of where I am in my training. Or "I'm doing the best I can; nobody said it would be easy." Or "I can do this. It's gonna be hard, but I CAN do this." Oh, and "Find your Happy Zone!" keeps me feeling loose and in a groove.

Seriously, telling yourself you suck will suck the joy and energy out of anything you do. So stop doing it! You don't suck - you're just experiencing the pain and struggle that comes with good, hard work.

True. I tried to keep the "you suck" thoughts out of my head. I reminded myself that I needed to stay positive... but... As I dropped further and further behind (behind people who have been riding only 3 months to my 1.5 years) I just couldn't keep it out. That, coupled with my growling tummy... made it completely miserable.

I will try to stay more positive next time and focus on WHY I am doing this... to stay healthy and to have fun... NOT to be super competitive.

Hopefully, with my plans in place... the next time will be better.

2006-04-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #386590

User image

Master
brummie land
i also presume most of the peeps on the ride aren't triathletes? if they're only doing one sport they are allowed to be better than you in that discipline. so try and not beat yourself up too muich. anyhow 42 miles kicks ***

Edited by sappho96 2006-04-03 10:40 AM
2006-04-03 4:33 PM
in reply to: #386610

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
sappho96 - 2006-04-03 10:39 AM

i also presume most of the peeps on the ride aren't triathletes? if they're only doing one sport they are allowed to be better than you in that discipline. so try and not beat yourself up too muich. anyhow 42 miles kicks ***

Good try. But...

They are triathletes, who just started training in January 2006. I started training in January 2005. UGH!

Which makes it even more humiliating.

2006-04-03 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Everyone trains at a different level and pace.  I thought of you as I was reading something on Gordo Byrne's website.  He NEVER rides in bike groups for this reason.   The bike groups want to HAMMER and it is not within his tri training plan.  So he rides on his own to do his own thing.  We're talking about an Ironman champion here - refusing to bike with groups because he can't or won't participte in their "hammer time".   

Seriously - you should not feel bad.  Stop beating yourself up.  Not only do I not have the physical endurance to keep up with a bike group (and I've been training for about 2 years now), I don't have the courage to go out there and even try!  I'd probably fall off my bike causing a Three Stooges like domino effect on all bike riders.  

2006-04-03 7:57 PM
in reply to: #387187

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
joannh13 - 2006-04-03 7:45 PM

Everyone trains at a different level and pace. I thought of you as I was reading something on Gordo Byrne's website. He NEVER rides in bike groups for this reason. The bike groups want to HAMMER and it is not within his tri training plan. So he rides on his own to do his own thing. We're talking about an Ironman champion here - refusing to bike with groups because he can't or won't participte in their "hammer time".

Seriously - you should not feel bad. Stop beating yourself up. Not only do I not have the physical endurance to keep up with a bike group (and I've been training for about 2 years now), I don't have the courage to go out there and even try! I'd probably fall off my bike causing a Three Stooges like domino effect on all bike riders.

Yea, I can understand why someone would ride alone. I can also say that if I ride alone, I don't push myself. Unfortunately, I tend to go faster when I the fear of being dropped lurking in my head. Of course, that fear didn't get me up the hills faster... but sometimes it works! HA!

I am going to just push ahead and stick to my plan for success on the next group ride.

Thanks for caring enough to respond! I really do appreciate it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard ride today... I contemplated giving up Rss Feed  

of 2