Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3906362

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: New Kindle need book ideas

Loved Christopher Moore books - though currently reading Fool and not liking it as much as the others I've delved into. 

There's a somewhat historical series out by Diana Gabaldon which is a series of about 7 books now, the first being Outlander and I've gotten about 4 people hooked on the series now. 

Also reading the Game of Thrones series and on book 2

I *think* there's a new Stephanie Plum book coming out? 

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!!

2011-11-21 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3909659

Veteran
Joe_S - 2011-11-21 7:20 AM

I have recently enjoyed reading the following:

Born to Run - Christopher McDougall

Ultramarathon Man - Dean Karnazes

Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

Ditto Water for Elephants and Into the Wild.  Both really good reads. 

In fact pretty much anything by Jon Krakauer: Into Thin Air, Under the Banner of Heaven, and Where Men Win Glory. 

If you like non-fiction, I recently read two fascinating books about the Sea (an interest of mine) that I would recommmend:

A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols is about the first non-stop solo circumnavigation of the earth (those guys had NO IDEA what they were getting in to) and

Down to the Sea by Bruce Henderson is about an incident in WWII in which a number of US Navy ships sank in a typhoon.  It paints a picture of Bull Hallsey and some other well-known names from WWII that I had never seen before, and has plenty of heroism and cowardice to fill some quality hours. 

None of this is heavy reading.

2011-11-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3907928

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

annabananamc - 2011-11-18 10:02 PM Yeats - I think you and I have the same tastes. Here are some I have read recently in my book club and enjoyed: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet Sarah's Key Still Alice (tho' being someone turning 50 next month, this made me a bit anxious) Island Beneath the Sea (Isabel Allende - historical novel about Haiti) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks The Help Room REALLY good, but not in Kindle I don't think - The Power of One - Bryce Courteny (an older book, he's a great author) I also enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, and I like to re-read The Poisonwood Bible every now and then, as well as the Iliad and the Odyssey. and one of my all time favorites, which is a good chunky read, is 100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez I'm gonna stalk your thread because I am looking for some new books, too.

I have read several of the books that she has listed and I say that THE HELP, SARAH'S KEY, AND THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS are all great books and I loved them (even for a guy they were good books). I am currently ready "You are an Ironman" by Jacques Steinberg and it is pretty good so far. I also recommend "The Hunger games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins, they are a pretty cool books and a quick read. My last suggestion is one of my favorite books of all time and it is "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. It is a fantastic book and its kinda long so it will give you something to read for a while. Hope all goes well and you get some great books to read.

2011-11-21 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Anything by Jodi Piccoult - love her books!

Just listened to The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.  One of the characters was narrated by one of the readers in The Help.  It was a really good (surprising - got it on Audible for $5) listen and guessing it would be a really good read as well.  Here is a summary:

In 1790, Lavinia, a seven-year-old Irish orphan with no memory of her past, arrives on a tobacco plantation where she is put to work as an indentured servant with the kitchen house slaves. Though she becomes deeply bonded to her new family, Lavinia is also slowly accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. As time passes she finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds and when loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare and lives are at risk. The Kitchen House is a tragic story of page-turning suspense, exploring the meaning of family, where love and loyalty prevail.

2011-11-21 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Another vote for Unbroken and for the Harry Bosch series. I also just finished a book by Dennis Lehane—his books are great (Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River and Shutter Island are some of his).

I also just finished reading “The Passage” by Justin Cronin. It’s long, but good e-book reading. It’s kind of like the Stand, by Stephen King meets “I Am Legend”. It's pretty light reading, but a compelling story that moves along quickly. It was an interesting variation of the typical "remnants of humanity fighting to survive in a postapocalyptic landscape" story we've all seen before.
2011-11-21 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
x2 for Mystic River and Unbroken.

2011-11-23 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
You'll likely see it in "Triathlon Talk" but apparently there is a new book out: "Sex, Lies and Triathlons".  I don't know what it is about but one person posted it was a good, fast read.  Maybe worth checking out.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » New Kindle need book ideas Rss Feed  

of 2