General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone know anything about ITCA (International Triathlon Coaching Association)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-05 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Anyone know anything about ITCA (International Triathlon Coaching Association)?

I was hoping to sign up and attend a USAT Level I Coaching Clinic so that I could get certified and start coaching some beginner triathletes.  Recently however, USAT changed their process to an application/resume submission.  Based on the criteria they use to pick the candidates for the clinics, I have a slim to none chance of getting picked right now due to not having any "real" coaching experience.  I know that many people feel hiring a coach with a USAT Level I certification is not necessary, but I do feel like some kind of certification would give me a little more credibility when starting out.  

I found another certification online through ITCA, but I know nothing about them.  They are approved as a USAT continuing education.  

Has anyone heard of this organization?  Has anyone been certified through them?

2012-09-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4395922

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Anyone know anything about ITCA (International Triathlon Coaching Association)?
There is a great thread on Slotwitch with some fantastic thoughts about the new process and the difference between coach education and coach certification.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4148018;sb=post_latest_...

IIWY I would do at least some of the following:

1) Find a triathlon coach who is willing to help mentor you as you get into coaching
2) Volunteer with a local triclub to conduct a weekly workout
3) Volunteer at a junior high/high school to coach x-country
4) Volunteer to help coach a school/club swim team
5) Read an intro physiology text
6) Sign up for some exercise physiology courses
7) Find a couple of local athletes who are willing to volunteer to be coached by you

ETA - as far as coach certification; I believe that coaches are best served going through the certification process developed by their national governing body (assuming one exists).

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2012-09-05 9:17 AM
2012-09-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4395965

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Anyone know anything about ITCA (International Triathlon Coaching Association)?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I've been reading the thread at ST as well (just not a member over there so I can't post).  And yes, there are some very interesting points being made.

I have been helping several friends/family members, etc. with getting ready for triathlons and marathons.  I've been an assistant run coach with Team in Training before.  I do want to gain more knowledge and have thought about taking some college courses or even getting a second degree, so I am not one of those that just wants to coach to make extra money.  I truly enjoy the sport and want to learn more. 

It's just one of those times when I feel like a teenager - you can't get a job without experience, but you can't get experience without a job.  So, where do you start?  Getting certified first seemed (at least at the time) like the best place to start.  It appears from others, that may not be the case.

2012-09-05 11:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
An athlete of mine is doing the ITCA certification for the same reason that you are considering it, couldn't get into a level 1. She showed me the coaching manual and it's a sound education at least as far as the basic science material that's been chosen to be included. I haven't seen the more tri specific material, but what I have seen is 100% acceptable and dare I say, even better than what USAT offers as far as anatomy/physiology background. I'm a level 2 (+ elite mentoring) USAT coach, so I can speak clearly from having seen the USAT side of things.

At some point getting a USAT certification may serve you well also as it allows a pathway through the additional training...the elite mentoring experience is second to none...just 2 of us on the USOC campus with the coaches of Olympic & national team triathletes for 4-5 days...that's a tough experience to beat.

In my opinion, anything that's educationally sound is worth investing in, so do ITCA now, learn some good stuff, get insurance coverage, find a mentor and learn even more.

I actually recommend ITCA to my athletes who want to become associates with me.
2012-09-05 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4396092

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
So it would seem as though you're already doing some things that will help your application for Level 1; I would keep doing what you are doing and expand into a couple of the other areas that I mentioned above. The more time you spend coaching and educating yourself, the better applicant you will be and the more you (and other participants) will gain when you are accepted into the program.

The other thing I should have mentioned (which I can't believe that I missed) is coaching youth and junior developmental athletes. This is an area that is often very underserved as many (perhaps most?) of the coaches who go through the certification process seem to be doing so to self coach or to start coaching age group athletes (to make money). If there is a program in your area then you can offer your services with them and if not, then see if there is enough interest to start a program. Since the racing season is winding down, you could see if the RD's and/or USAT is willing to send an email to parents of youth and junior aged athletes who raced over the summer and let them know that there is an opportunity for a training group if they are interested. Even a core group of 5 athletes would be a great place to start and holding a couple of weekly workouts, you'll gain valuable experience and should make yourself that much more attractive as an applicant to future courses.

Shane
2012-09-05 11:53 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I have seen your posts on other threads and I know both of you are very knowledgeable.  I appreciate your honest feedback.  I'm glad to hear the ITCA is a decent program and may look into that for a broader base of knowledge right now.  I'll just keep reading, keep learning, find some volunteer opportunities and keep applying to the clinic.  Maybe one day I'll be accepted into the USAT clinic.

Funny you mention about working with youth, Shane.  I am involved with a start up non-profit that is focused on preventing heart disease.  I would love to do some sort of tri camp or sports camp for kids to help them learn early on how to take care of themselves through exercise and nutrition.  And I'm trying to figure out a way to work with my son's soccer team as well.  Some of those kids are not as conditioned as they should be and know nothing about nutrition.  I fully believe if we can teach good habits at a young age, it will last the rest of their lives.

I just haven't felt comfortable trying to offer these things without a "certification" of some sort.  I guess I need to get over that and just start offering to do it.

2012-09-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4396368

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
bar92 - 2012-09-05 10:53 AM

I just haven't felt comfortable trying to offer these things without a "certification" of some sort.  I guess I need to get over that and just start offering to do it.

You need to be transparent about your qualifications to do so. A HUGE benefit of the ITCA certification is the ability to obtain very low cost annual insurance to cover your activities. It really gives me peace of mind to know that I can freely teach what I know (in the right context) and not worry about the litigious side of society ruining my finances when all I want to do is help people.
2012-09-05 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Yes, the insurance is definitely important to me and one of the reasons I want a "certification".  Thanks again for your input.
2012-09-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4396300

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

AdventureBear - 2012-09-05 12:19 PM An athlete of mine is doing the ITCA certification for the same reason that you are considering it, couldn't get into a level 1. She showed me the coaching manual and it's a sound education at least as far as the basic science material that's been chosen to be included. I haven't seen the more tri specific material, but what I have seen is 100% acceptable and dare I say, even better than what USAT offers as far as anatomy/physiology background. I'm a level 2 (+ elite mentoring) USAT coach, so I can speak clearly from having seen the USAT side of things. At some point getting a USAT certification may serve you well also as it allows a pathway through the additional training...the elite mentoring experience is second to none...just 2 of us on the USOC campus with the coaches of Olympic & national team triathletes for 4-5 days...that's a tough experience to beat. In my opinion, anything that's educationally sound is worth investing in, so do ITCA now, learn some good stuff, get insurance coverage, find a mentor and learn even more. I actually recommend ITCA to my athletes who want to become associates with me.

So, I'm under-qualified? 

LOL!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone know anything about ITCA (International Triathlon Coaching Association)? Rss Feed