Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 182

2014-05-09 10:26 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
day 898, 4.2 miles. No time for more miles today, too much stuff going on.

2014-05-09 9:56 PM

Originally posted by mrheathen

#82 - 2.5

Originally posted by ImSore
How many miles per week have you been doing (I am too lazy to go back and add it up!), and how hard is the terrain?

I've been steady around 25 mpw. I've been trying to increase, but pressures of jobs, school, and family have made it difficult to find the time to run more. I'm hoping that the challenge of a goal outside of my comfort zone can help me shake things up.

The trail is a 10 mile loop. I've run about half of it, and it's not challenging at all. Even trails with no more than about 100 feet of elevation between the highest and the lowest points. Passing (or more likely for me, being passed) might be challenging. I emailed the RD to see if I could register for the 10 mile and then bump to the 25K if I'm feeling good.

Looks like your longer runs have been about 5 miles. You should start executing a plan now, if you want to do the 25k. If I were you, I would probably work a long run by increasing a mile per week up to 10 miles, then a second day to 6 miles as a mid week long run. That will put you around 30 to 32 mpw, which is only 7 more miles running each week. Not sure what pace you run, but at 10 minute miles, that is only 10 extra minutes of running per day on average, and you will be ready for the 15.5 mi. It is significantly longer than the 10, and you can throw in a 12 miler if you need confidence, but I think with 30-32 mpw, and having been consistently running every day, you should have no issues. Or you can just do the 10 miler, and probably be good to go from where you are at now.
2014-05-09 10:00 PM
in reply to: ImSore

#565- 8 mi -preceded by a tough 1:45 on the bike, I was exhausted for the rest of the day. Probably got a bit of recovery going on still. I hit my workout targets pretty much, but I am beat.
2014-05-10 9:46 AM

User image

Day 899, 12.4 miles. Two weeks form today is the 24 hours race, The Sole 24 hour Challenge, I'll do another 20 miles or so tomorrow and then a two week taper. Still hoping to get at least 115 mile done in 24 hours.
2014-05-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Day 900 in a row today with a 20.2 mile run, felt great and felt like I could've run for another 20 at the 8:40 minute mile pace I ran it in. In the last 900 days I have ran of total of 8,157.94 miles and have managed 1175.67 so far this year. Since I start keeping track of my mileage November 21, 2009 I have ran a total of 11,993.62 miles. I started running March of the same year just did not keep track of the mileage until November.
2014-05-11 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Thursday - #284 - 2 miles
Friday - #285 - 2 miles
Saturday - #286 - 3.1 miles
Sunday - #287 - 2 miles

Saturday was my first 5K race since my last triathlon in August. With a combination of some minor injuries, some work related stress, and the passing of my father, I've fallen off my speed work for a few months now, and my mileage has dipped a little bit. I had no idea what I could do out there, so I just gave it the old college try. I ended up with a PR by nearly a full minute over last year's race, finishing at 23:24. I feel like I probably have a little more to give since I haven't done speed work in so long, and I just haven't felt what it was like to run hard recently. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm going to start back on some weekly speed work and try to build back in a long run each week too in order to hopefully improve over the summer tri season.

This weekend is my annual golf trip. As always, it's going to be a nightmare trying to fit runs in during this one between the Scotch, the beers, and the golf. I'll find a way.

Thanks for the inspiration here, guys...if I can keep improving my 5K, I'll be almost dangerous in the triathlons!!!

2014-05-12 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
#83 - 3.8
#84 - 3.4
#85 - 3.5

Looks like your longer runs have been about 5 miles. You should start executing a plan now, if you want to do the 25k. If I were you, I would probably work a long run by increasing a mile per week up to 10 miles, then a second day to 6 miles as a mid week long run. That will put you around 30 to 32 mpw, which is only 7 more miles running each week. Not sure what pace you run, but at 10 minute miles, that is only 10 extra minutes of running per day on average, and you will be ready for the 15.5 mi. It is significantly longer than the 10, and you can throw in a 12 miler if you need confidence, but I think with 30-32 mpw, and having been consistently running every day, you should have no issues. Or you can just do the 10 miler, and probably be good to go from where you are at now.

Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence. I ran at the spot of the race this weekend and I realized a couple things. 1. Given the pace I ran Saturday, a 25K will probably take me about 4 hours, and I'm not certain I have the attention span for running that long. However, that might be weakness and fear talking. 2. Even with a 7 am start, in July, temperature will be an issue by the middle of the race at either distance. 3. The dog ceases to be a good running partner after about 45 minutes. 4. No matter how polite and friendly they are, mountain bikers are a pain in the tukkis.
2014-05-12 8:22 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Friday - #285 - 2 miles
Sunday - #287 - 2 miles

Saturday was my first 5K race since my last triathlon in August. With a combination of some minor injuries, some work related stress, and the passing of my father, I've fallen off my speed work for a few months now, and my mileage has dipped a little bit. I had no idea what I could do out there, so I just gave it the old college try. I ended up with a PR by nearly a full minute over last year's race, finishing at 23:24. I feel like I probably have a little more to give since I haven't done speed work in so long, and I just haven't felt what it was like to run hard recently. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm going to start back on some weekly speed work and try to build back in a long run each week too in order to hopefully improve over the summer tri season.

This weekend is my annual golf trip. As always, it's going to be a nightmare trying to fit runs in during this one between the Scotch, the beers, and the golf. I'll find a way.

Thanks for the inspiration here, guys...if I can keep improving my 5K, I'll be almost dangerous in the triathlons!!!

Nice job Brad, it is always a good thing to PR a race especially when you are not expecting to.
2014-05-12 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

#83 - 3.8
#84 - 3.4
#85 - 3.5

Thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence. I ran at the spot of the race this weekend and I realized a couple things. 1. Given the pace I ran Saturday, a 25K will probably take me about 4 hours, and I'm not certain I have the attention span for running that long. However, that might be weakness and fear talking. 2. Even with a 7 am start, in July, temperature will be an issue by the middle of the race at either distance. 3. The dog ceases to be a good running partner after about 45 minutes. 4. No matter how polite and friendly they are, mountain bikers are a pain in the tukkis.

You sure you're doing your math right? I think I've seen some of the paces that you run at, and they're faster than that. For you to take 4 hours, you'd be at about 15 minute miles (4mph). I could be wrong on your times, and I don't mean to offend if I am. If you are at 10 minute miles, it's 2:35 to get it done.
2014-05-12 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by navbtcret

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Friday - #285 - 2 miles
Sunday - #287 - 2 miles

Nice job Brad, it is always a good thing to PR a race especially when you are not expecting to.

Thanks, Ron. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do as I progress over the summer. I've noticed that my 5K in my last summer race in late August (in Ludington, MI) tends to be pretty darn fast, probably both because I have built up my fitness over the summer and also because it is nearly dead flat out and back, so I am hoping to blow that away there, even though it is during an actual race
2014-05-12 10:47 AM

User image

Day 901, 8.2 miles. Let the two week taper begin.

2014-05-12 12:37 PM

# 566- swim and 4 mi

#567- 2.83 mi wanted to run longer but I woke up late and had to be back before kids woke up, wanted to let my wife sleep in...and I made omelets! They were tasty.

#568- 18 mi- wanted to make up for the light volume weekend. Hit the trails for 6 tough miles in the middle of the run, and it was easily the hottest day of the year. Not going to complain about 83 degrees, but I am not used to it. The hydration belt was annoying for the first 5 to 10 mi as it bounced around but I was very glad I brought it.

Ron -congrats on #900, and enjoy your taper. I am not sure what would be the bigger challenge if I were you, doing the 24 hour run, or continuing the streak the next day!

Brad- congrats on the PR. I am a 100 % convert to running every day. Even when you have some down time, you seem to bounce back to form pretty quick.

2014-05-13 10:29 AM

User image

Ron -congrats on #900, and enjoy your taper. I am not sure what would be the bigger challenge if I were you, doing the 24 hour run, or continuing the streak the next day!

Day 902, 10 miles. Hot and humid out today.

The day after is really not a problem. Because during the race I will get my Sunday run done and I can choose to wait until Monday evening to run again which would give me well over 30 hours of rest. I probably will not wait until the evening to run but I could.

How about we play a game, guess how many miles I will run during the 24 hours race next weekend and the closest one to the actual mileage I will send a gift card to Running Warehouse in the amount of say $25 just for fun. This offer is for you all that are regulars in this thread or have been before. I am aiming for at least 115 miles but really have no idea. My fastest 100 miler was 21:32 and I still think I am capable of a sub 20 hour 100 miler. This is just to give you all an idea. I am feeling really good going into this race too. All my runs the last two weeks have been really strong. Good luck.
2014-05-13 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The day after is really not a problem. Because during the race I will get my Sunday run done and I can choose to wait until Monday evening to run again which would give me well over 30 hours of rest. I probably will not wait until the evening to run but I could.

How about we play a game, guess how many miles I will run during the 24 hours race next weekend and the closest one to the actual mileage I will send a gift card to Running Warehouse in the amount of say $25 just for fun. This offer is for you all that are regulars in this thread or have been before. I am aiming for at least 115 miles but really have no idea. My fastest 100 miler was 21:32 and I still think I am capable of a sub 20 hour 100 miler. This is just to give you all an idea. I am feeling really good going into this race too. All my runs the last two weeks have been really strong. Good luck.

You, sir, are a beast. Reading your posts and John Morelock's book always make me think I might like to try ultra distances. It's a passing bit of insanity, but it's there nonetheless. I'll bite. I'm going to go with 120.5 miles. If I win, I'll ask instead that you make a donation to one of the cancer charities I run for.
2014-05-13 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
#86 - 2.6. Coffee was slow doing it's work this morning and I was late getting out the door. I may head out for a part B this evening.

You sure you're doing your math right? I think I've seen some of the paces that you run at, and they're faster than that. For you to take 4 hours, you'd be at about 15 minute miles (4mph). I could be wrong on your times, and I don't mean to offend if I am. If you are at 10 minute miles, it's 2:35 to get it done.

Of course you don't offend. Rosaryville isn't a billy-goat trail, but it isn't a paved rail trail either. When I ran there this weekend, I averaged 13 minute miles. I may be a little faster with more training and no dog, but I might be a little slower across a much longer distance. Even 2:35 sounds like an absurdly long time to be running (again, I'll say Ron's a beast). The two distances cost the same and start at the same time, so I'm sure I can choose to do one or the other.
2014-05-13 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I'm in for 123. And would likely take your gift to a charity as well.

2014-05-13 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

#86 - 2.6. Coffee was slow doing it's work this morning and I was late getting out the door. I may head out for a part B this evening.

Of course you don't offend. Rosaryville isn't a billy-goat trail, but it isn't a paved rail trail either. When I ran there this weekend, I averaged 13 minute miles. I may be a little faster with more training and no dog, but I might be a little slower across a much longer distance. Even 2:35 sounds like an absurdly long time to be running (again, I'll say Ron's a beast). The two distances cost the same and start at the same time, so I'm sure I can choose to do one or the other.
I paid absolutely zero attention to the fact that this was a trail run.

Start training for the 25K and even if you don't do it, the 10K will be a breeze at that point!
2014-05-13 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Monday - #288 - 2 miles following a 15 mile bike TT. It was HUMID for that run...I was drenched when I came back in and sat in my breezeway.
2014-05-13 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Great job all!

Some how I have managed to keep getting my run in.
Did have to drop out of the Green Bay Marathon this weekend, but no big deal. Just glad it looks like my son will be able to come home this weekend for a little while at least.
2014-05-14 9:08 AM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Day 903, 5.1 mile progressive run.
2014-05-14 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Tuesday - #289 - 4 miles before a swim, which was unfortunately cut short due to a lifeguard inservice. Had I been thinking about it, I would have swam first to get my full workout in, and then gone to run second.

75% certain that I am going to get back to longer (for me, at least) distance running by signing up for the Grand Rapids Half Marathon on October 19.

2014-05-14 10:00 PM

#569- 3 mi
#570- 4 mi, planned to bike too, but plan got derailed by leaky hot water heater (It just dawned on me that "hot water heater" is a dumb name, it doesn't heat hot water, it heats cool water and makes it hot, it should be called a cool or cold water heater, though I guess technically once it is heated it keeps it hot, ehh, still a dumb name, it should only be referred to as a "water heater"), ran good though, dropped the pace into the 6:40s and felt comfortable.

IM training update, run = good, bike = still ok, but I've let up a bit in the last two weeks and feel like I'm losing some fitness, I also have to get every long ride in from here on in and that will take some mental discipline, swim = ughh....I have to start swimming for real, the clock is ticking!!

Ron, I wanted to go 123 since the guy that won last year did 122, but that was taken. I also considered going 114, just so you can be motivated to prove me wrong and get your 115, but I wanted to play smart and considered going 124, and box in Brad, but then LumberDad hasn't guessed yet and could box "me" in, so all strategy of winning aside, I will go with my honest guess and what will be will be. I say you hit your 100 miles right at 20:00 and have 4 more hours of running. I think hour 20 to 23 is going to be a struggle, and I will put you in at approximately 15 min/mi and having you get another 12-13 miles over 3 hours, the last hour, your legs come back, and in 10-11 min/mi you tack on another 5-6 mi, bringing you to my estimate of 118. Good luck!

I consider myself pretty charitable, but I'll decide what to do with my winnings when and if I win
2014-05-14 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
#290 - 4 miles pretty easy, followed by some trainer action since it was raining and I couldn't bike outdoors.
2014-05-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
#87 - 2.6 miles
#88 - 3.5 miles

I might have to do my long run during the overnight block of Relay For Life this weekend. Do they let you run at those, or do they require that you walk?

Originally posted by Lumber Dad
Just glad it looks like my son will be able to come home this weekend for a little while at least.

This is great news. Glad you're able to keep your streak going. Too bad about the marathon, but a DNS seems pretty miniscule. Did they let you defer till next year?

Edited by mrheathen 2014-05-15 12:30 PM
2014-05-15 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI

#569- 3 mi
#570- 4 mi, planned to bike too, but plan got derailed by leaky hot water heater (It just dawned on me that "hot water heater" is a dumb name, it doesn't heat hot water, it heats cool water and makes it hot, it should be called a cool or cold water heater, though I guess technically once it is heated it keeps it hot, ehh, still a dumb name, it should only be referred to as a "water heater"), ran good though, dropped the pace into the 6:40s and felt comfortable.

IM training update, run = good, bike = still ok, but I've let up a bit in the last two weeks and feel like I'm losing some fitness, I also have to get every long ride in from here on in and that will take some mental discipline, swim = ughh....I have to start swimming for real, the clock is ticking!!

Ron, I wanted to go 123 since the guy that won last year did 122, but that was taken. I also considered going 114, just so you can be motivated to prove me wrong and get your 115, but I wanted to play smart and considered going 124, and box in Brad, but then LumberDad hasn't guessed yet and could box "me" in, so all strategy of winning aside, I will go with my honest guess and what will be will be. I say you hit your 100 miles right at 20:00 and have 4 more hours of running. I think hour 20 to 23 is going to be a struggle, and I will put you in at approximately 15 min/mi and having you get another 12-13 miles over 3 hours, the last hour, your legs come back, and in 10-11 min/mi you tack on another 5-6 mi, bringing you to my estimate of 118. Good luck!

I consider myself pretty charitable, but I'll decide what to do with my winnings when and if I win

Wow! That was a lot of thought in that answer. I think the last 4 hours are going to be tough, I will go with 116.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 182