Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2012-10-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4458795

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-Open

SHANE -

Intriguing story!  By any chance, do you know Darrrell Menard?  He is my sports doc (he lives two towns over), and had been the team doctor for any number of Canadian teams (most recently at London with the Olympics team).  He was with CF for decades before retiring to tend to his home-based practice.  Just curious!

Also curious about your focus on the Canada Games '13, and how much of that is as a coach and how much of it might be you competing there. 

Cyclocross = hard core!  Running with stroller = hard core!

Happy upcoming anniversary!

2012-10-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4459646

User image

Champion

DONTO -

You're one of the Original 31, so that's that --- done deal!

2012-10-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4458989

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-FULL

JOE -

Any navigational questions, such as the one you asked and that was answered brilliantly by Quincy, should be addressed to her exclusively!  I know practically nothing about all the stuff she said to you, and moreover, i am stricken by fear at the thought of clicking on anything i don't know or trust implicitly.  Tools.......toggles.......settings..........OH, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

2012-10-18 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4458966

User image

Champion

JOE again -

You're SO lucky to have a latelatelate-season triathlon to do!  I had to ramble down to Virginia to squeeze in my final trwo a couple weeks ago, and would feel like I'd died and gone to heaven if I lived in AZ or FL or LA or TX and could race into December.  Lucky boy!

I wish I could help you with the swim part, but in my 100-plus triathlons, I have never done a pool one.  I mean, i can make suggestions about swimming in general, but as for "snake swims" and navigating lane ropes, i'll leave that to someone who has been there, done that.  (Doug, aka Hoosierman, had some expeience with pool tris, I think.)

2012-10-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4459642

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
stevebradley - 2012-10-18 3:46 PM

MIKE -

Um, Canton, as in part of Baltimore?  (If so, sorry about the Orioles!FrownCry(And Ray Lewis.)

Also sorry about your injuries and missing Eagleman.  I am a two-time Eaglevet, from '03 and '04.  My half-iron is from '04 there, and my two years were ones in which (a) wetsuits were legal, (b) the winds weren't off the charts, and (c) the heat was roughly tolerable.  Not too many people can claim two years at Eagleman with such favorable conditions!

We can continue talking about Eagleman, especially the AV.  I suffered a torn meniscus in '06, and had to do a bunch of aquabikes to keep myself sane......and the good news is that that's when I learned what it feels like to ride really hard in a race setting.  Riding hard in an aqbk (aqvl) is easy, of course, because there is no run to be done afterwards, but the "problem" then became one of learning how to run well off the bike when the bike is mostly red-lined!  That was my '07 focus, which was accomplished by concentrating on sprints and olys......and that's pretty much how I've worked it ever since.

So, keep the faith* and work hard at the bike (and the swim) until the knees come around for you.  There really is a lot to be gained by getting strong on the bike, so if you must focus on one particular aspect, the bike is a good one.  And to that end, a cycling team and doing some bike-only races (which i have never done) would also be a good path forward.)

As for the swim, well, join the club!  It is ever and anon my weakest discipline, and the irony there is that it is probably what I most enjoy doing.  I swim a ton, but along about, oh, maybe '05 I hit a modest plateau.........and have mostly stayed there ever since.  I do many things well in the water, but there is some nasty little technique flaw (or two.  or three.) that I can't determine and which keeps me from any significant progress.  But heck -- you have a strong swimmer in the family, and before long she can get on the deck, watch you swim, and then take you aside and explain how it's done.  And demonstrate!  And coach you to uber-proficiency!!  The sky's the limit!!!

*That is, don't give up quite yet on those sub-22 5km days; you're still a young pup!!

The year I rode a LOT of 25 milers at, like redline +1 was also the year I was fastest running-wise. Related? Who knows, but that is what I am aiming to find out. BTW, that year was my one and only sub 22 5k as well as my HM PR of 1:40. No way I could touch either of those now and it frustrates me.

I love stand alone bike racing, but am afraid of crashing. I drive my bike team crazy. That being said I whole heartedly endorse time trials if you have time for them. I think it is an interesting departure from triathlon!

2012-10-18 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4459613

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
tri808 - 2012-10-18 3:30 PM

Not sure if I was part of the original 31, but I'm just looking for a good discussion on S/B/R stuff.

NAME:  Jason

STORY:  Began with my first marathon late 2009, bought a road bike to cross train, then started tris in 2010 till present.  Have since then explored more into bike racing since the bike is my strength.  Main focus for next year is a HIM, but I don't train that much differently for a HIM than I would an Oly.  Just longer stuff on the weekend...weekday stuff is pretty much the same.

FAMILY:  Live with my GF, no kids.  Lots of time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Always been self coached.  Just coming off a summer of bike racing, so trying to rebuild my running and swimming.

2012 Races:  Tris were just one Oly, one HIM, and one Relay.  Did well in all of them.  Then a whole bunch of bike races where I had some very good results, as well as some lackluster ones.

2013 Races:  I normally race about 10-14 times a year, but 2013 will be more focus on a few races.  A race will be the Hawaii 70.3, and a few bike races.

2013 Goals:   Get down to an ideal race weight for once.  I have raced at 155-160 in the past and really want to race in the 140's next year.  Crack 5 hours at my HIM and crack 1 hour for a 40k TT.

WEIGHTLOSS:  As mentioned above, I'm trying to lose the last 10-15.  It just takes discipline.

GOOD MENTEE??  I've hosted one group before, and been a part of 5 others.  I'm simply interested in good discussion, and I find that works much better in mentor groups where people respect each other.

I'm going to do this too, mainly because there is an HIM I want to travel to because it is a vacation spot that would be fun with my family. It is NOT my A race though, I refuse to sacrifice speed for volume next year. But I agree it's almost exactly the same training which is why I think I can pull it off...

Glad you're here Jason...

2012-10-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4459467

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Moonrocket - 2012-10-18 2:23 PM

I'm in!  BTW my daughter's middle name in Noelle!

NAME:  Kate

STORY:  I’m a middle aged mom who did one sprint 5 years ago before having my daughter and last year signed up for an Xterra as a New Year’s resolution to get back into shape.  I did a sprint for a test run a few months earlier.  I also did the swim leg of a 70.3 relay with friends.  I ended up due to life having to pull out of the Xterra – but they let me switch to a later sprint.  So I did one more sprint.  I really enjoy having a goal to work towards and really enjoy the sprints as the training doesn’t take too much time away from my family or other activities.  I swam through college so biking and running are really the areas I need to improve on.  I still don’t think sprint is the right word for something that takes over an hour.

FAMILY:  Married to an extremely athletic husband with a nearly 3yo daughter (who did her first tri this past summer) a wonderful Lab/ Weim mix and a retired race horse.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have totally slacked of the past few months and need to get back into it.  I really enjoyed following a BT training plan this spring and am planning on starting up a new one for some structure.  I have considered signing up for a running coaching group- but committing to being somewhere at a given time is hard for me.

2012 Races:  I did 2 sprints and swam on a relay for the local 70.3.

2013 Races:  I have unfinished business with an Xterra –so that’s on my list.  Definitely a few sprints and I’d like to do my first Oly.  Will probably do a relay for the local 70.3 again for fun – but I just swim.  I have a 5k in a month and would like to find a few 10ks to prep for doing an Oly.

2013 Goals:   Keep the fitness I’ve gained this season and up it a little.  Mostly just stay fit, have fun and have a good balance with my family.  I’d like to improve my bike and run more.  In what feels like a different life I swam D1 in college so that part is pretty natural for me.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not a focus for me.  I’m happy where I am.  I eat pretty well but apply the 90/10 rule and make sure I get some form of chocolate daily.  Swimming makes me ridiculously hungry though.

Oly would be a great distance for you with your swim chops, I would definitely pursue it if I were you. We don't have a whole lot of Xterra stuff around here but it sounds ridiculously fun. I am a crappy trail runner though...I'd have to train a lot on trails to be any good at it.

2012-10-18 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4459706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
stevebradley - 2012-10-18 2:16 PM

JOE again -

You're SO lucky to have a latelatelate-season triathlon to do!  I had to ramble down to Virginia to squeeze in my final trwo a couple weeks ago, and would feel like I'd died and gone to heaven if I lived in AZ or FL or LA or TX and could race into December.  Lucky boy!

I wish I could help you with the swim part, but in my 100-plus triathlons, I have never done a pool one.  I mean, i can make suggestions about swimming in general, but as for "snake swims" and navigating lane ropes, i'll leave that to someone who has been there, done that.  (Doug, aka Hoosierman, had some expeience with pool tris, I think.)

Absolutely I'm lucky!  I got into this so late in the year, I wasn't sure there'd actually be any races.  But thanks to the weather in AZ there are plenty of late season tri's.  So it's a real + for me.

Swim is my weakest event, but I've been diligently practicing week after week (3x).  The Anthem sprint I'm doing is only 400 m pool so I figured I'd take that one, with such a short swim.  If anyone does have tips about serpentine swimming and tips for going under lane ropes, I'd really appreciate it.  

I'm not worried at all about bike/run.  But the swim makes me nervous.  Can't wait till December.  Thanks for all the help.

Edited by joestop74 2012-10-18 4:37 PM
2012-10-18 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4458300

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Just wanted to throw a disclaimer out there. Mentor groups, especially at the beginning, are fast and furious and it's hard to remember everyone's names/stories until you've been at it a while. If you post and you don't get a lot of replies or the group goes off on another tangent, don't take it personally. Just keep asking your questions and participating and you'll eventually get your answers. 

Also with the kind of experience people have brought to this board, I don't expect to respond to every post...if you have something to add, go for it and I'll sit back and take notes...

It's an accomplished group (go stalk training logs and race reports) and most anyone of us could be the "Mentors" so let's run it that way, ok?

2012-10-18 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4459734

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
joestop74 - 2012-10-18 4:36 PM

JOE again -

Absolutely I'm lucky!  I got into this so late in the year, I wasn't sure there'd actually be any races.  But thanks to the weather in AZ there are plenty of late season tri's.  So it's a real + for me.

Swim is my weakest event, but I've been diligently practicing week after week (3x).  The Anthem sprint I'm doing is only 400 m pool so I figured I'd take that one, with such a short swim.  If anyone does have tips about serpentine swimming and tips for going under lane ropes, I'd really appreciate it.  

I'm not worried at all about bike/run.  But the swim makes me nervous.  Can't wait till December.  Thanks for all the help.

Flip turns. You come up to the rope you need to cross under, sort of aim to the for just under the rope and as you flip and push off the wall, just sort of aim a bit more to the side, and viola, you'll be in the next lane over.

If you don't know how to do flip turns, learn. They are easy. Google it.

And never, ever, ever even look at a thread about flip turns in Tri Talk. It will make your eyes bleed.

2012-10-18 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4458991

User image

Champion

DAVID -

Great story, you wily veteran, you!  You have seen just about every technological advancement in your years on and off with triathlon, and it must be hard to think back on '84, and its gear, and its almost complete lack of decent nutrition.   Mercy!

Congrats on emerging from the crucible of M45-49, which as you know is chock full of cats who are old enough to have been around for a while, but young enough to still have all their chops. That you placed so well at the top end of that a.g. is a terrific accomplishment; I gassho in your general direction!

M50-54 ought to be kinder and gentler for you.....although i'm not sure you need that.  My experience is that about half the a.g. is still real strong, while the other half has slowed down quite a bit.   And then 55-59 will be sweeter still, and then.....and then......and then......and then wait until you're in 80-84!!!!SurprisedWink

Rehab and injuries >>>>>>> triathlon??  I can dig it!  I was a "pure" runner until early '00, at which time I suffered a tibial stress fracture during the winter (Jan 1, actually --- happy bloody millenium!).  That left me about three runless months in which to contemplate my inevitability, and i spent that time swimming and figuring I would start cycling once the weather got good (and I got a bike!).  I now refer to that stress fracture as "my best bad injury", as it led me to triathlon and I haven't looked back once!

Interesting comment about swim speed and endurance.  For me, having no true swim "speed", it's not like I have anything much to lose.........but I cna get slightly slower if I stay away for a while.  As for endurance, though, that usually is sustainable.  I guess that's good, but as i focus more on short-course and less on long-course, I would trade some endurance for some speed, ANY speed!  The swim really is my limiter, effectively keeping me from the top of the age-group heap.  If i felt I could afford it, I would get aggressive about one-on-one coaching and see if a silk purse could be made from a sow's ear, but I don't think it is affordable (and not at all sure I CAN get better!)

Humungous bike mileage; mercy!  As for the burrito, a few years ago Newton Running sponsored a 24-hour event along those lines, but i'm not sure they still do it.  I got curious about it along about '09, but never followed up on it.  That sounds like a worthy goal to establish at some point, yes?  I will follow your progress on your burrito with great interest!

2012-10-18 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4459751

User image

Champion

Any Yankees fans in the group?  HOPE NOT!!!

As a Boston-bred boy, I am a Yankees-hater, and am taking great glee in watching Sabathia get knocked around, even as I type.  It's now 4-0, and I'm ticled pink!

MAKE THAT 6-0!!!!!!

2012-10-18 4:47 PM

User image

Question to get the group rolling.  Anyone using power on the bike?  Or even virtual power such as trainer road?

I've been using a powertap for about 2.5 years.  I mainly use it for training, and while I keep an eye on it during racing...much of my decisions to push harder or ease off is determined by RPE and HR.

2012-10-18 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4459749

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
quincyf - 2012-10-18 2:43 PM
joestop74 - 2012-10-18 4:36 PM

JOE again -

Flip turns. You come up to the rope you need to cross under, sort of aim to the for just under the rope and as you flip and push off the wall, just sort of aim a bit more to the side, and viola, you'll be in the next lane over.

If you don't know how to do flip turns, learn. They are easy. Google it.

And never, ever, ever even look at a thread about flip turns in Tri Talk. It will make your eyes bleed.

I've just started practicing my flip turns for a couple weeks, I think I'm getting pretty good.  That makes a lot of sense.  I was thinking you go 25 yards, stop at the wall, cross under and go again... didn't make much sense to me.

I think I can handle those flip turns.  And yeah, I've seen some of the flip turn carnage here, and I ran away like a little girl (no offense to girls).  But thanks a bunch, makes so much more sense to me!

If I get 2 open lanes at the pool, I'll ask the life guards if they'll let me practice that a few times.  My pool is sometimes pretty vacant.

2012-10-18 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

This is my first mentor group so not sure how everything works but looking forward to learning and contributing!

NAME: Carlo

STORY:  I played volleyball growing up in Southeast Asia and ended up getting into motorsports (closed-circuit road racing initially with cars then with motorcycles).  Besides playing volleyball (indoor and sand) I kept in shape by going to the gym and did weights and thought that running was what one did to warm-up and that was it.  I had gotten into motorcycle endurance racing (6-hr races) where you have to share a bike between several teammates and I happen to be one of the heavier ones (I was 6', 183 lbs or so) and needed to lose about 10 lbs.  It was also about the time when I decided to give up volleyball and find a new sport as I no longer had the ability to maintain my vertical jump that allowed me to play at the level that I wanted (considering I was short for a volleyball player) so I decided I was going to try running as I way to lose weight.  This was around Feb 2010, and I didn't know how to run (only did short sprints to help with developing jump, in addition to the 5-10 minute warm-up jogs prior to lifting weights) and was fighting small injuries so a friend suggested that I buy his old bike (great deal on a Scott Speedster S2).  A few months later, someone suggested that I learn to swim (could barely swim a length) so I can do triathlons.  Got talked into signing up for a sprint triathlon in July 2010 and I was hooked.  I do about 3-4 sprint triathlons, 1 Oly, and 1 HIM during my 6-month tri season (Apr-Oct).

CURRENT TRAINING:  I have always tried to stay relatively fit all my life as I have always thought that moderation and just maintaining (or close to it) was always easier than letting it go for months and then trying my best to get back in shape.  I don't believe you need to gain a ton of weight or have a health scare before you need to 'get back' your fitness.  Balance is key to my personal philosophy so I will always try to fit in health and fitness in my lifestyle (and also won't let it be 100% of my life either!).  Having said that, I have found that I can currently sustain about 8-10 hours of training weekly on average. I can do more for certain periods (when my busy job and rest of my life allow) and also have to deal with less (like when I travel for work).  I usually end up with half of that time during the weekends and then other 4-5 hrs spread out during the week.  I typically end up swimming 2-3x per week, doing some sort of bike workout/ride 3x per week, and then running about 3-4x per week.  I will probably try to switch it a bit this off-season after December as I want to be more bike-focused coming into next season.  I am very good at logging my workouts and I leave them public.

Swim - I try to swim at least once a week with my Masters group, but it's more convenient for me to just go on my own most of the time.  I typically swim about 1800-2200 yds per workout nowadays but it's taken a couple of years before I was comfortable doing that many yards per workout.  This is the weakest of the 3 sports for me and was elated when I ended up in the top 1/3rd of the swimmers in my very competitive AG at the US Open Oly earlier this month.  I was typically in the bottom half!

Bike - When I started doing triathlons, this was my strongest event but with all the focus on running the past year or so, this has become the 2nd strongest. It's still my favorite and still keep a couple of road bikes in addition to my TT bike.  I just started using a powermeter in July and now have a Quarq on my 2 Cervelos (P3 and S3) as I like using the data.  I am looking to dramatically improve my bike before my next race in April.

Run - I used to hate this and is now my strongest sport.  I run about 25 mpw though it's been closer to 30mpw the past couple of months as I am training for my first marathon.  I'll be looking to maintain my run fitness next year as I focus more on the bike and will be using the FIRST workouts to try and do that.  I didn't do much speedwork the past 3 years (and least not consistently) so I'm looking to see if that makes a difference.

2012 Races:  4 Sprints this year (1 AG win, another Top 10 Overall, and I guess I'm kinda FOP now in the local sprints); 1 Oly (Toyota US Open), 1 HIM (Lonestar 70.3 in Galveston).  I also did/will do some run races (2-10k, 1-15K, 1-HM, 1-Marathon) for the year (the 2 longer ones are coming up in Nov/Dec).

2013 Races:  3 sprints, 2 HIM, and 1 Oly.  It will be the first time that I am going to train for a HIM.  The last 2 times were spur-of-the-moment decisions.  My first HIM was a whim 2 weeks prior to the race, and last year was about 4 weeks since I was ill/injured last winter and wasn't sure I could do it.  I'm also excited about my 2nd HIM in August as I'm going to do my first traveling race - and it's going to be halfway across the world (Philippines 70.3 )

2013 Goals:  Continue to be consistent in my training, even as I have to move offices (longer commute/different hours to avoid traffic).  I have to adapt to a new training environment (may have to join a new swim group and a new gym) and a new training schedule.  I hope to improve on the bike this coming year (aggressive goal to drop 15 minutes from my HIM bike split) and still have some small improvements on the swim and maintain the run - while maintaining the same amount of time I dedicate to training...Racing-wise - I'd love to go under 1 hr for a sprint triathlon (was about 40 seconds off this year), 2:30 for my Oly (2:33 this year) and 5:15 for HIM (5:28 this year).

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not a big concern for me.  I could drop another 1% body fat at most but at this point, I sometimes have to eat more than I really want at times as I don't want to lose more weight.  I have a significant investment in business suits and other clothes and I want to just continue to fit in them!  I also do want to 'look' like an athlete and try to keep muscles that aren't normally just for SBR (like I'll still do push-ups!).

GOOD MENTOR and MENTEE:  I have been a mentor in business and do help coach friends and family with fitness.  I like to understand what I'm doing and then help others understand as well.  I am also new to triathlon so I continue to learn but I think I have learned enough in the 3 seasons to help beginners.  I'm very conscious of being efficient with the amount of time one can dedicate to training as I know most people can't train for 20 hrs per week every week!

Edited by m2tx 2012-10-18 5:51 PM
2012-10-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4459037

User image

Champion

DENNIS -

Quincy, MA, eh?  Does that make you ever-so-desirable, as in BosoxPatsBruinsCelts?  Here's hoping!!!

Tips on speed you say you need, and I hope I can help.  You've got a decent first two legs (S and B) working for you, being MOP in them, and now it's on to working on the run. 

How did you do with the 30-in-30?  Did you handle it well, as in no niggles or wonks along the way?  And just curious --- what do you think your run limiter is?

Drive safely out there in the hinterlands!

2012-10-18 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4459110

User image

Champion

AMY -

Of course you can't see me right now, but trust me --- I am salivating over your background as a competitive swimmer.   You and your ilk, and all the natural-born "fishes", are the ones I spend EVERY triathlon trying my darnedest to catch up with on the bike and run!   Arggghhhh!

Huge congrats on the great season, and the collection of high o.a. placements you have garnered.  Wow!  And with a new bike, i'm guessing that the '13 season can't come soon enough.  What is your new steed?

Minor overuse injuires here and there, eh?  Sounds like the story of my life!  I too have gravitated to short(er) course stuff in no small part to keep a leg's-length from distance-induced injuries........and mostly it has worked.  Two years ago this coming weekend I had a terrific half-marathon, but paid for it with a couple of foot problems that stayed with me well into December.  Nothing bgged me during the race itself, but within two hours I was getting the message.  "We let you do the race, bucko, but the fun stops here."  Harrumph.  Hopefully, though, you will emerge from your upcoming h-m in the same shape in which you entered it.  I will take pleasure in following you vicarioulsy!

I'd say that 130 at 5'9' is just about perfect.....and that 15% b.f. supports that.  Those who say you could lose a bit are just certifiable chowderheads, IMHO! 

Finally, congrats on having a job that "allows" you to spend time here.  Well-played!Wink

2012-10-18 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4459767

User image

Champion

CARLO -

Glad you found us!

As for what to do next, you can either take my route, which is to log on here every chance you have, or:

Go to Quincy's post to Joe, a page or three ago, where she provides some shortcuts for the cyber-savvy (probably you, most definitely not me).

Please get a bio up as soon as you can.  I see the tx part of your user name, and the mentuion of White Rock....so i'm guessing a Texas connection.  Yes?   If so, where?  I lived a couple of years, '85-'87, in Allen, teaching at a school in Richardson that no longer exists. Cry

Finally, are you coming to tri as a runner first and foremost?

2012-10-18 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4459121

User image

Champion

WAYNE -

AmeliaMan, as in Florida?  A few years ago, desperate to extend my season, i looked into an AmeliaMan that was in north Florida..but ultimately was not so desperate as to drive all the way down for it.  Too bad, as if it is the same AmeliaMan, I could've waxed nostalgic about it with you!

Nice progress over the past six months!  Sounds like a plan --- kick in with the running, then add the swim and bike as double-header.  It obviously served you well, getting it all together so as to pull off two late-season races.  Well done!

Also a good plan is to join a masters swim team, which is sure to help lots.  I will be very interested to see how you find that experiwence, how hard you are pushed, how frequently you receive you-specific tips.  We re pretty much at the same spot in swimming; I can hit sub-2:00 mostly, but can't sustain sub-1:50 for long (I've got about one-and-a-half "speeds").  I'm sure that for you, not having been a swimmer for very long, that the improvements will come quickly and will be quite pronounced.  Here's hoping!

HUGE weight loss since January; yikes!   You have to be quite tall to be in a 43 long, and the 160lbs suggests...........that you need not lose too much more weight??  Eat up, eat up!!

You do well fitting in your workouts; you are obviously disciplined and committed. 

2012-10-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4459795

User image

Champion

CARLO!

Dopey me!  I guess I scrolled down just as far as to catch your first line, and completely missed your extensive bio.  You're probably thinking, in reading my request to you for a bio, "WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO DO?!?!?", and I can tell you that there's nothing more you can do; rest easily!

I will get to it all later, and then back to you.

2012-10-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4459795

User image

Expert
stevebradley - 2012-10-18 5:19 PM

CARLO -

Glad you found us!

As for what to do next, you can either take my route, which is to log on here every chance you have, or:

Go to Quincy's post to Joe, a page or three ago, where she provides some shortcuts for the cyber-savvy (probably you, most definitely not me).

Please get a bio up as soon as you can.  I see the tx part of your user name, and the mentuion of White Rock....so i'm guessing a Texas connection.  Yes?   If so, where?  I lived a couple of years, '85-'87, in Allen, teaching at a school in Richardson that no longer exists. Cry

Finally, are you coming to tri as a runner first and foremost?

I got my bio up so there's more info above now!  Yes I am from the Dallas area in Texas (Plano) so I'm close to Allen/Richardson!  I joined the group to both learn and contribute as I also believe that sprints/Olys are not any 'less' than the long-course tris. 

2012-10-18 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Argh!  I stop following BT for a few hours (gotta pay the bills) and I'm FOUR pages behind!  I looked for a join button, but didn't see one.  Hoping I'm in (assuming so, as I'm getting email notifications?).

OK - gotta grill up dinner and then will check back in after the kids are in bed and will post a bio then.

Bring on the speed and the SUFFERFESTS!  (and I thought it was just me)

Matt

2012-10-18 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4459149

User image

Champion

DANIEL -

Very nice season of successes, and those in a very tough age group.  Jeezum!

I race-skulked to see which one you qualifuied at, and I see it was Shawnee Mission.  I did that one in '02, part of an addled road-trip that got me there (and watching two Royals games), then driving out to Colorado just because, spending a few days there, then driving to Clevelend to do an oly there the next weekend.  Dumb, but fun.

DOes Shawnee still take place in a park with multiple bike loops?  i seem to remember about four of them, and a t-zone on a slope in a big parking lot, and a nasty little climb on the bike at one end of the park.  And the run gets down to that end, and then wends its way on pretty opaved trails.  Same beast?

Where are Nats next year?  i hear out westish, but not sure exactly where.  They were in VT the past two years, about 3 hours from home, and it would've been perfect......except for conflicts both years each year.  This year it was the small matter of my daughter's wedding, and try as I did to get her to switch the date, she didn't.  No way to treat old dad, huh?

I agree completely that lower weight is "free speed".  I don't know if you read my bio, but the diff between last year racing at 164-166, and this past season at 169-170 was not insignificant.  And the times I have raced at, say, 178, haven't been the prettiest things you've ever seen!  I need to work hard to get in the mid-160s for next season, to be sure.  I should be able to do it, just need to commit to eating smart and staying away from too many piescookiessconesetcetc.  I'd like to say that doing so will be "a piece of cake".........but that's not real apprpriate, given my "weaknesses"!

2012-10-18 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4459757

User image

Expert
tri808 - 2012-10-18 4:47 PM

Question to get the group rolling.  Anyone using power on the bike?  Or even virtual power such as trainer road?

I've been using a powertap for about 2.5 years.  I mainly use it for training, and while I keep an eye on it during racing...much of my decisions to push harder or ease off is determined by RPE and HR.

I started using power in July of this year.  I got a Quarq for my TT bike (Cervelo P3) then decided that I like having that data all the time so I got another one for one of my road bikes.  In fact, I'm waiting on the new left crank-based powermeter that was just announced since you can't fit most Quarqs on my 2nd road bike (those Wiliers have their own BB and I don't really want to buy SRM or a Quarq Rotor).

I am going to try experimenting with Trainerroad this winter to see if it's more motivating.

2012-10-18 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4459820

User image

Champion

MATT -

Yo!  Glad to have another sufferfester on board.  (The pain feels do good when it stops!)

See you soon, once those kiddos are asleep.  "Grill" -- sounds nice!  Bon apetit!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fast Twitch Tri-FULL Rss Feed  

of 56