General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-28 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Subject: Total Immersion

It was suggested I look into this swimming concept to improve my swim.  I've watched quite a few YouTube videos from Terry Laughlin, and I'm intrigued. 

I'd like to know if anyone uses the system and has some videos?  I'm a skeptical by nature.  The videos of Terry and his coaches just seem too good to be true to me.  Their gliding seems way too smooth, but I could just be a horrible judge.

Inquiring minds need to know if this system is legit and is something worth while learning.

2012-10-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4472836

Subject: RE: Total Immersion

I started tri's this year, I was not, and have never been a swimmer.  I am not blazing fast, but I feel I have made great progress in the last 8 months.   TI helped tremendously initially.  I got the book, and watched videos of drills on you tube.  It helped get me comfortable in the water and find good balance.  I feel TI taught me how to swim right, but don't feel that is what helped me get faster.  From the TI resources I used, I think it focused too much on the glide. 

If you need to get more horizontal (lessen drag), and imprint good mechanics, I would highly recommend TI.  If you are just looking to get faster, I would say work on pull/high elbow catch/early vertical forearm.  Also, make intervals the majority of your swim workouts.  It is easy to swim 2000yd and glide TI style, but 20 x 100yd will get you faster (and also make you want to puke).

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I really have only been swimming the last 8 months.  There are many other posters with way more experience and skill.  This is just what has worked for me.  Lately my 100 yd intervals are in the 1:25 range.

2012-10-28 9:55 PM

Veteran
Boston
I took up TI theory a few years ago (Have been a triathlete over 10 years now) and its completely changed my form and my triathlon success in general. I'm definitely not the fastest swimmer, but I've got so much left for the bike and the run. Now I'm at a point where I want to try and get really fast on the swim and am going intervals with a 6 beat kick and I am actually slower (I'm sure if I really put in a lot of time that wouldn't be the case). My point is, it sucks for a month learning to glide and to kick less etc, but then everything clicks and swimming is AWESOME.
2012-10-28 9:57 PM

User image

Regular

I started learning TI last January.  I bought the book, followed all the drills, and watched videos on youtube.  I got about 10 seconds faster per 100.  I was really hoping to see more improvement in speed, as I was already very very slow to begin with.  I did reduce my stroke count 6 strokes per lap, which tells me I became much more efficient.

TI has helped me with my swim mechanics.  I am able to balance in the water and breath better.  This has made me much more comfortable in the water, and I actually enjoy swimming now.  Before I learned TI, I dreaded swimming.  I still have a long way to go.  I think now I need to focus on some speedwork and intervals, in addition to mainly doing long swims.  Maybe that will help me get faster.

I put a lot of work into learning TI, and think it has been worth it.

2012-10-28 10:09 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I read the TI book/ watched the DVD first in 2006 because I had jut had back surgery and was using swimming for rehab...but first time in the water, it made my back and neck hurt (I was a swimmer in high school so had good-ish form). One reading of the book and one viewing of the DVD and my back and neck pain were gone, so I was sold immediately.

In 2010 I took the TI coach training course to further my knowledge of swim instruction s I could better instruct my triathletes.

I am now helping to develop professional coach training education for TI coaches here and in Europe in order to standardize Ti coach training, just returned from London where we did a TI coach training/update for a dozen UK coaches.

I tell you all that in full disclosure.

TI can do this for your swimming...this is a video from the first week of October from a camp in Turkey.
http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1713/

Two of these four swimmers in the video have achieved open water national championships in their age groups in both the US and in Sweden, as has the one behind the camera lens...who can be seen in this video here:
http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1737/

and here:

http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1746/

Where people have trouble with TI is the current self-coach materials available...we admit, they are lacking. But all the resources you need are available in the forums ... and many, including Lennart who you see in the first video, was self coached.

There are also of course, workshops & private lessons with a certified coach, or with anyone who feels comfortable teaching the principals outlined by Terry Laughlin

Finally, here is a brief before & after of my own stroke...note that the before is AFTER 6 years of self-coached TI...not an awful stroke, but not a great one either. The after is after a weekend workshop and my coach training.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaeIGcvWaO8&feature=g-upl

This may come across like a sales pitch, but I personally have nothing to gain from it. I talk a lot about total immersion here on the forums, but the reality is that no one really knew me here or saw me swim before I became a coach...the video above shows a good idea of my progress.

The bottom line is that good swimming is good swimming no matter what you call it or who the coach is. There are basic, fundamental principals of physics, anatomy and bio-mechanics that must be followed no matter what your philosophy. You see all of those beautiful principals followed in the videos above.

2012-10-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4472877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

ImSore - 2012-10-28 10:35 PM

Lately my 100 yd intervals are in the 1:25 range.

Would you attribute being in this speed zone to TI or to something else?  My 100 time sits around 2:05.  I admit that if I could hold such a pace for the entirety of a 1500m Oly swim (I'm focusing on Oly races for now... not ready for half-iron or iron distances, yet), I'm looking at a 31:15 swim.  I suppose I'm not doing too horrible, but if there's some improvement to be had, I'll take it.

2012-10-28 10:39 PM

I'd definitely recommend the book. The core concepts of efficient swimming are common to all good freestyle and you should at least be familiar with them (streamlining, pushing the buoy, etc.)

2012-10-29 4:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

I learned to swim way before the TI wave, certainly training methods have changed since then. I haven't spent time getting into the details of TI, that said, I wouldn't throw my money at TI. 

TI has a strong focus on glide, you glide with one arm in front of you waiting for the recovering arm to catch up, only then you begin your next stroke. And that IMO is the problem, glide is interpreted as wait, which have the effect of producing over-gliders: While you wait, you slow down and have to accelerate again with the next stroke, speed is sacrificed to conserve energy.

One should not interpret glide as wait but as reach: Think of trying to pick apples, you reach up as far as you can but once you've got hold of that apple you pull, you don't wait. Same with the stroke, when you can't reach further it's time to get on with the next stroke.

Lots of people have learnt to swim with TI and are happy with the result, but some later find themselves struggling to unlearn their (over-)glide. What's important is what works for you. I'd recommend taking a look at SwimSmooth also, they are a more pragmatic down to earth IMO. 

BR

2012-10-29 5:14 AM

I have used TI and I am still using it. People at the local pool have asked me if I am doing TI because of my weird drills without equipment and my smooth swimming without any splashing and wild kicking. Of course I would never compare myself to the good swimmers and Terry Laughlin, but I think you will notice how your swimming technique will become smoother than most others' swimming styles at the pool. It may take you only 2 months or a year or even longer, just be patient and you will get there.

2012-10-29 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran

YES...it does work.  The thing is, you need to put in the time.  The system starts very basic (ie. floating on your back and kicking across the pool).  Many find this too boring to stick with.  Swimming is like golf, martial arts,  and other "form" sports where there is so much to think about, it is really hard to just go and do it.  Instead, you have to re-program your brain and take baby steps. 

If you are willing to put in a couple of months, then it will work for you.  I just started back in August and have noticed a difference.  Form is KING when it comes to swimming and that is what TI is all about!  Stick with it and don't move on to the next drill untill you have mastered the current one and you WILL see results.  Good luck!

2012-10-29 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY

Talk about TI teaching 'gliding' is misinformed. You simply will not find an instruction to 'glide' in whole stroke anywhere in our literature or hear it on our videos. Nor will you ever hear such an instruction from one of our coaches. Where we do teach gliding is in the first two drills in the learning sequence for freestyle -- Superman Glide, and in two of the three versions of Superman-Glide-to-Skate.

In each of these instances the student practices 'gliding' for a duration of just a few seconds. This use of 'gliding' has a specific purpose -- to interrupt the nearly universal human instinct to churn the legs, or as we call it 'busy' legs. Busy legs burn a lot of oxygen and energy while contributing zip to either body position or propulsion. 

What we do teach -- unequivocally and without exception -- is a sequence that develops the following non-negotiable skills of efficient swimming, always in this order:

Balance and Stability -- Explore how a human body naturally behaves in the water. Increase comfort (sense of support) and ease. Improve body control. Stop moving around in water.

Streamline - Move through the water, instead of moving the water around.

Propulsion - Direct 'available' forces (body mass, buoyancy and gravity) before generating muscular forces. Work with, not against, the water.

We teach those via activities we call rehearsals, tuners and drills. We reinforce them in a highly choreographed way via Whole Stroke Focal Points. This stroke development method has been refined over 20+ years and empirically tested with 10s of 1000s of athletes. 

Once the athlete progresses from a primary focus on learning the skill foundations to developing a capacity to swim a specific distance at a specific pace, we have them make extensive use of a Tempo Trainer, to hone an individual sense of how to combine Stroke Length and Rate to achieve best pace at lowest cost.  

If anyone has questions or criticisms of what we actually teach, we're happy to entertain them. 
Discussing things we don't teach is a waste of everyone's time.  

Edited by Total Immersion 2012-10-29 5:34 AM

2012-10-29 5:41 AM
in reply to: #4473062

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
Kermat89 - 2012-10-29 5:32 AM

YES...it does work.  The thing is, you need to put in the time.  The system starts very basic (ie. floating on your back and kicking across the pool).  

Kermat. Thanks for your testimony that TI does work. However I'd like to be clear. "Floating on your back' is not part of the TI learning sequence. A drill called Balance on Your Back was included in our learning sequence 16 or more years -- and 4 generations of self-help videos -- ago. However even when it was we told our coaches to be aware that "No one comes to TI to learn Balance on Your Back." (I.E. Use it briefly, be clear on its purpose, then move on.)

We now start with Superman Glide and progress to Skate, both of which are done in a nose-down position. What has not changed is encouraging the student to be patient, purposeful and attentive.

Edited by Total Immersion 2012-10-29 5:41 AM
2012-10-29 8:06 AM

User image

New user

Cambridge

I started with TI about 1.5 weeks ago. I was comfortable in water, but never learned to swim or took swimming lessons. I'm not unsafe in water, just never learned stroke swimming. I read the book and am watching the DVDs, following the lessons outlined in them. 

I really like the drill progression. Considering I started from nothing, I find the progressions easy to follow and am generally successful at them, indicating that each drill doesn't incorporate too many new concepts to master.

I don't really have results yet, as it's only been about 6 swims totaling 4.5 hours, but I feel like I'm at least on my way. 

2012-10-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4472877

User image

Veteran
Great White North
ImSore - 2012-10-28 9:35 PM

I started tri's this year, I was not, and have never been a swimmer.  I am not blazing fast, but I feel I have made great progress in the last 8 months.   TI helped tremendously initially.  I got the book, and watched videos of drills on you tube.  It helped get me comfortable in the water and find good balance.  I feel TI taught me how to swim right, but don't feel that is what helped me get faster.  From the TI resources I used, I think it focused too much on the glide. 

If you need to get more horizontal (lessen drag), and imprint good mechanics, I would highly recommend TI.  If you are just looking to get faster, I would say work on pull/high elbow catch/early vertical forearm.  Also, make intervals the majority of your swim workouts.  It is easy to swim 2000yd and glide TI style, but 20 x 100yd will get you faster (and also make you want to puke).

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I really have only been swimming the last 8 months.  There are many other posters with way more experience and skill.  This is just what has worked for me.  Lately my 100 yd intervals are in the 1:25 range.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This
2012-10-29 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

I have the DVDs and they helped me with some basics. Then I also read "Swim Speed Secrets" by Sheila Taormina and the focus of the "catch and pull" and this book has really helped. I also like the "Swim Smooth" book. 

2012-10-29 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
SpeedKnight - 2012-10-28 8:46 PM

Inquiring minds need to know if this system is legit and is something worth while learning.

No 'system' has all of the answers. But, yes, if you study the TI approach, there will be lots of things that you can learn from it. But there are other systems and approaches from other very skilled coaches and swimmers that are also highly valuable. If you pick up info from as many different reliable sources as you can, you'll probably get the best picture of what it truly takes to learn to swim fast with the minimum of watts.

Learn from every source available to you, and combine what you learn. Nobody has a monopoly on the right answers.

2012-10-29 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

Not to offend Total Immersion, but I'm a skeptic.  My likelihood to take input from a party associated with the very program I'm trying to verify is very slim.  I do thank him for the input, but I'm after info that has bias through use by someone not getting some sort of paycheck from TI.

Here's my situation... I'm NOT a great swimmer.  I have the ability, with my current form, right or wrong, to hold a pace such that I finish 250m in about 6:30, and I can do 100m in about 2:05.  Obviously, I gas out and my stroke becomes less efficient over time.  My goal, right now, is far more endurance oriented than speed oriented.  I'm finding, however, that volume in swimming delivers diminishing returns.  I have managed to get myself from gassing halfway down the lane to gassing out halfway down the lane on the 11th trip.  I've also learned this crazy thing called side stroke which, for me, consumes less energy and allows me to keep pushing but destroys my time.
As I mentioned before, if I could hold a 2:05 100m pace for 1500m, I'd be able to turn a 31:15 swim in an Oly.  One of my goals is to turn a 30min 1500 and not be utterly gassed on the bike.

I love doing triathlons (which is very odd, because I'm NOT fond of running), and I really want to improve in the sport.  I don't care if others call me mediocre in 3 sports... I want to be bad in THIS sport.  Since my swim is my Achilles heel...

2012-10-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4473395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

SpeedKnight - 2012-10-29 9:39 AM Here's my situation... I'm NOT a great swimmer.  I have the ability, with my current form, right or wrong, to hold a pace such that I finish 250m in about 6:30, and I can do 100m in about 2:05.  Obviously, I gas out and my stroke becomes less efficient over time.  My goal, right now, is far more endurance oriented than speed oriented.  I'm finding, however, that volume in swimming delivers diminishing returns.  I have managed to get myself from gassing halfway down the lane to gassing out halfway down the lane on the 11th trip.  I've also learned this crazy thing called side stroke which, for me, consumes less energy and allows me to keep pushing but destroys my time.

Part of your 'diminishing returns' problem is that your stroke technique has some major problems. If you're able to at least somewhat fix those issues, then swimming most definitely will not deliver diminishing returns. Have you ever looked for a local swim technique coach to help you with your stroke? With your swim speed, getting help like that (but from someone who knows what they're doing) would likely pay off hugely for you.

2012-10-29 10:08 AM

I disagree that someone at 2:05 / 100m (not yards) HAS to have major stroke errors.

I swim routinely at 1:35/100yards for 3000yds nearly straight now going at a brisk effort for myself, but for sure, if I slow it down to the amount of arm power in the pull I had a mere 18 months ago for an very easy "all-day pace", I'm back to 2:00ish/100meters (not yards). 

I used to believe all the folks here who keep railing on major stroke errors at the 2:00/100m mark, but its def not true of anyone. And FWIW, I've taken several one-on-one swim lessons and currently drop by 2 separate masters groups, and no major speed-killing stroke errors were ever identified, even when I was around the 2:00/100m mark. For sure, lots of small things, but my current masters coach thinks its doubtful that I'll get even 10sec/100 anyomre through pure technique. And my technique is essentially identical to when it was at 2:00/100m pace 18 months ago, for sure no major changes.

2012-10-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4473395

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
SpeedKnight - 2012-10-29 8:39 AM

Not to offend Total Immersion, but I'm a skeptic.  My likelihood to take input from a party associated with the very program I'm trying to verify is very slim.  I do thank him for the input, but I'm after info that has bias through use by someone not getting some sort of paycheck from TI.

You can spend a lot of time analyzing all the different approaches out there...or just get in the pool and try something new. What was it that attracted you to TI in the first place?

Also, note that while Terry who created Total Immersion certainly "gets a paycheck" from his method. I chose to spend my continuing education $$ one year on becoming a certified coach for TI because at that time...4 years after I became a tri coach and had attended all sorts of USAT con-ed programs and Art & Science, etc, etc, I was searching for more effective information on how to teach swimming. SO at that time I had NO bias towards TI, I simple sought it out as another source of information. But I chose TI because of the impact it originally had on improving my swimming...With the self-coaching materials alone (book & DVD), I was able to swim & complete the Escape from Alcatraz swim (1.5 miles) smiling and laughing the entire swim...as much as one can laugh while swimming. It was after THAT experience that I wanted to know how to teach others what I had learned in an effective way.

But dark speed's comments ring true...learning how to swim the fastest with the fewest watts is the goal we are all after. Before swimming fast with few watts, most need to learn to swim the same speed with fewer watts...or even slower first with fewer watts. Increase efficiency in your swimming, whether it's with TI materials or some other method.

Don't over-analyze this...water doesn't care whose brand or whose advice you are following...just go out and try it.
2012-10-29 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4473452

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
yazmaster - 2012-10-29 9:08 AM

I disagree that someone at 2:05 / 100m (not yards) HAS to have major stroke errors.

I swim routinely at 1:35/100yards for 3000yds nearly straight now going at a brisk effort for myself, but for sure, if I slow it down to the amount of arm power in the pull I had a mere 18 months ago for an very easy "all-day pace", I'm back to 2:00ish/100meters (not yards). 

I used to believe all the folks here who keep railing on major stroke errors at the 2:00/100m mark, but its def not true of anyone. And FWIW, I've taken several one-on-one swim lessons and currently drop by 2 separate masters groups, and no major speed-killing stroke errors were ever identified, even when I was around the 2:00/100m mark. For sure, lots of small things, but my current masters coach thinks its doubtful that I'll get even 10sec/100 anyomre through pure technique. And my technique is essentially identical to when it was at 2:00/100m pace 18 months ago, for sure no major changes.

Likewise I can choose to swim at 1:25/100 fast repeats or swim 2:00/100 all day pace or warmup.

The difference between me swimmign 2:00/100 now and swimming 2:00/100 8 years ago is that now I do so at 14-15 strokes per length and a tempo of 1.4 seconds per stroke. 8 years ago I did so at around 22-24 strokes per length and a tempo of probably 1 second per stroke...and it was my only speed and my only choice of how to move in the water.

Good swimmers, just like good runners, can choose the pace they want to swim at will and will choose different speeds for different reasons.

When a swimmer posts that they are "stuck" at 2:05/100 there is a problem.

2012-10-29 12:08 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

if someone swims 2:00 min/100 and is gassed or is in a race then they do have large possibilities of improvement, with their stroke.  sure if they are just cruising that speed then that is another story. 

I am no way affiliated with TI, but everything adventurebear says regarding swim stroke is sound.

2012-10-29 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

At no point have I personally suggested that there is no problem with my stroke.  Since the fastest I have swam to date is a 0:48 50m.  Logic would dictate that either something is wrong with my stroke or I'm simply not strong enough to propel a 235# body through water at a higher speed.  Still, I find it odd that one could automatically assume I have a bad stroke without seeing said stroke.

I don't know what kind of stroke count I have per pool length.  I do know that I am slow and short on endurance.  For me, just swimming laps over and over is not serving to improve my stroke or my speed and has only marginally, IMO, improved my endurance.  

Sadly, I'm not in a position to have a coach or to take a Masters class.  I'm currently stationed on a submarine undergoing overhaul.  I have to be at work at 0600 and sometimes don't get out until 1600 or 1700.  I also have a 1.25hr commute, and no knowledge of where the nearest pool that does have coaches/Masters classes is located.
I get 2 hours for lunch/PT, and it's during this period that I go to the pool.  Between travel time and changing, I usually get about 45 to 50 minutes to do laps.  The pool I go to doesn't have coaches (Navy run pool). 
I'm also not in much of a monetary position to get a coach or take a Masters class.  Hence an interest in a self-coached program.

I do agree that mixing different programs is a good idea.  I've done P90X, but I also through in parts of other programs.  It worked out for me.  Doing the same with swimming only makes sense to me. 

In any case, the discussion here is coming in handy, and I'm hoping it continues.  The worst that could happen is that I find out about several programs to combine for maximum results.

2012-10-29 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4473511

AdventureBear - 2012-10-29 10:28 AM

Likewise I can choose to swim at 1:25/100 fast repeats or swim 2:00/100 all day pace or warmup. The difference between me swimmign 2:00/100 now and swimming 2:00/100 8 years ago is that now I do so at 14-15 strokes per length and a tempo of 1.4 seconds per stroke. 8 years ago I did so at around 22-24 strokes per length and a tempo of probably 1 second per stroke...and it was my only speed and my only choice of how to move in the water. Good swimmers, just like good runners, can choose the pace they want to swim at will and will choose different speeds for different reasons. When a swimmer posts that they are "stuck" at 2:05/100 there is a problem.

I still disagree in small part with some of what you said, despite agreeing with most everything else, AB. 

When I was 'stuck' at 2:00/100m, it was NOT because of a major flaw error, even in retrospect. It was absolutely, 100% lack of arm power for the pull. I did have some major stroke errors getting to 2:00/100m, but once I was there, I was really limited by my inability to pull hard. 

It's similar to someone on a rowing machine-erg; they might be pulling with perfect techinque even as a beginner, but they simply won't have a big range of speeds as a beginner because their top end speed and endurance is too low. It's not because they've got terrible erg technique.

Now, I'm not saying all folks at 2:00/100meters have no stroke errors - in fact, a good percentage do. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that at that pace, if I took 10 of them and fixed their stroke, they'd suddenly lose 30sec/100. Probably 10sec/100 at best with no fitness increases. 

The most obvious thing to me in my progression from 2:00/100 to 1:30/100m in the past 18 months has been the power of my pull sustained over distance. It's a lot, lot stronger. My technique is essnetially identical - I'd be exaggerating to say that my technique change over that time has given me 5-10sec/100. And likewise, the small range in speed I had 18 months ago was completely due to my lack of top-end power (which is still improving.

Incidentally, I probably train very TI-like. I rarely do all-out 100s, and instead opt for more zone3ish type aerobic swimming for 90+% of my workouts. I've been forced to mix it up a bit more with the masters swims I've been attending, but I still think most of my triathlon swim gains are from my longer aerobic sets where I'm not killing it out there effortwise.

Edited by yazmaster 2012-10-29 1:29 PM
2012-10-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4473511

Master
, California
AdventureBear - 2012-10-29 8:28 AM

Likewise I can choose to swim at 1:25/100 fast repeats or swim 2:00/100 all day pace or warmup. The difference between me swimmign 2:00/100 now and swimming 2:00/100 8 years ago is that now I do so at 14-15 strokes per length and a tempo of 1.4 seconds per stroke. 8 years ago I did so at around 22-24 strokes per length and a tempo of probably 1 second per stroke...and it was my only speed and my only choice of how to move in the water. Good swimmers, just like good runners, can choose the pace they want to swim at will and will choose different speeds for different reasons. When a swimmer posts that they are "stuck" at 2:05/100 there is a problem.

AB - just curious.  I noticed your lower stroke rate in your "after" video.  Do you find yourself picking up the stroke rate in OWS?  And do you adjust it based on the event distance (obviously racing 100m is a lot different than racing 1500).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Rss Feed  

of 2