General Discussion Triathlon Talk » femoral neck stress fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-23 2:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: femoral neck stress fracture
Anyone with past/present experience with a compression side femoral neck stress fracture? I am on week 3 following diagnosis and still feeling quite a bit of discomfort. Because the fracture is on the compression side, the doctor is allowing me to remain off crutches but I wonder if my lingering symptoms are a result of not completely eliminating weight bearing. I haven't done any weight bearing exercise since diagnosis but can't avoid all weight bearing. The doctor said I would be able to return to exercise at 6 weeks but given the symptoms I still have at almost 3 weeks, I don't know that 6 weeks is realistic. Please share any experience you have had.

2013-04-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4712008

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: femoral neck stress fracture

1111 - 2013-04-23 2:02 PM Anyone with past/present experience with a compression side femoral neck stress fracture? I am on week 3 following diagnosis and still feeling quite a bit of discomfort. Because the fracture is on the compression side, the doctor is allowing me to remain off crutches but I wonder if my lingering symptoms are a result of not completely eliminating weight bearing. I haven't done any weight bearing exercise since diagnosis but can't avoid all weight bearing. The doctor said I would be able to return to exercise at 6 weeks but given the symptoms I still have at almost 3 weeks, I don't know that 6 weeks is realistic. Please share any experience you have had.

Who are you seeing?  I hope it is an orthopod but if not please  go see one preferably someone who specializes in sports medicine.  Not only have I had a hip stress fracture from sports I am also a sports trained orthopedist.  Certainly compression side is better than tension side but you still need to be very very careful.  If you can I would use crutches as much as you an until you are pain free ambulating.  6 weeks return to sports is VERY optimistic.  I had the same type of fracture and I took 6 MONTHS off and still have difficulty on that side many years later.  Also they need to do a follow up MRI or bone scan to see if its healing as most likely it will not show on a plain film.   I would not run until you have a negative scan.  You can swim and bike as long as its pain free.  The femur is the largest bone in your body and takes a long time to heal.  Its going to be an exercise in patience.  I know several colleagues in the Atlanta area.  PM me if you have other questions or would like their names

2013-04-23 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4712008

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: femoral neck stress fracture
Leslie, I sent you a message on FB. I think he was being ambitious by telling you 6 weeks. I was out for MONTHS and like Socks said, I didn't return to anything weight-bearing until I had a negative scan. I crutched to the pool to swim. When my scan showed the fracture I was out on crutches immediately. Like, I wasn't allowed to leave the office without them. You're still having pain: go back. ASAP.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » femoral neck stress fracture Rss Feed