Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-13 5:31 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by popsracer
Originally posted by switch

OK, so all this discussion is certainly whetting my appetite for the JD--the book, that is.

Those of you who have read it already, what do you think might be the best structure for discussion, if any?  A free for all?  A let's not talk about anything past pg ___ until next week, broken up into weekly segments? Others?

I would like for those who are just getting aquainted with these ideas to be able to hang with the discussions as much as possible.  What do you think?

I was thinking about this last night and started to write something along these lines but had a hard time articulating anything.

There is a lot of meat in the first few chapters that I think is important that everyone understand.  It lays the foundation for subsequent discussions about how the various workouts and purposes fit into an individuals real life schedule and goals.  I've limited my reading to the first few chapters because I didn't want to get ahead of discussion and jump into how do I setup a training schedule without first hashing out the various physiological adaptions, workouts to stimulate those, and appropriate paces and distances for those workouts.

We talked a little about VDOT earlier and I think that is also important to understand as it helps set parameters for workouts.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a roll call that would include what experience you have already on the topic.  Some people that have posted are very familiar and knowledgeable already, some are brand new, and some fall in between.  What races/distances are you training for.  What is your current fitness level/experience.  What do you hope to get out of this.  Some might be to understand the prinicples, others might want to focus more on the very specifc examples and workouts like we've seen already.  What questions do you have on any of the material in the first few chapters.

It is kind of tough to have too structured of a discussion because I think there is a pretty wide range of familiarity with the subject matter.  I do agree that everyone should feel comfortable and those more knowledgeable and experienced can help explain, answer questions, and provide insight while still be able to carry on some "case study" discussion that I think is a lot of fun.

I've learned a lot from the book in just the last week or so.  If anyone doesn't have the book yet and wants to get some familiarity here are some articles that summarize some of the foundational stuff.

http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-june-00.htm

I really like your idea about the roll call, Steve. I think we should definitely start there. 

As for the structure-- I don't think it needs to be predefined per se. Let's just assign a block of reading and a date to be done by and then have an open discussion (questions, comments, follow up, personal experience etc.

Maybe we do this for the first few weeks and see how it goes?

But immediately, let's get going on roll call. Just write a little about yourselves per Steve's above requests.

2013-09-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

New user
Ok here I go with starting the roll call:

Experience-new to running this year. I just turned 50 this year, did three triathlons this summer, some 5K and 5mile races. I am training for 10k, 10 mile and 1/2 marathon events through the rest of the year.
I am slow at this point to the tune of 12" miles. I know this is slow but I am thrilled to be doing this anyway since I am pretty new to fitness in my adult years.

I would like to learn more about training strategies, I am new to thinking of a purpose for my run workouts. I am certain I can improve and am really looking forward to learning with and from all of you!
2013-09-14 1:21 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

My turn.  I've been running for about 35 years.  Ran my first marathon when I was 15.  Ran track and XC in high school.  Seriously got back into tri's about 5 years ago.  Struggled for several years with nagging injuries due to stupid training mistakes.  I'm on a stretch of about a year building base and just now starting to feel like upping the intensities of some of my workouts.

I am currently focusing on a marathon in three weeks (my 11th) but run lots of 5k's, HM, etc.  The last four years have each focused on a June HIM with plan starting in January.  Before the next training phase in January I want to make some big gains in my running ability.

I studied the first few chapters and have experienced a lot of this when I was younger.  Dusting off the cobwebs and hopefully have a few more glory days.  I look forward to learning more.

2013-09-14 1:03 PM

User image

Master

I have been running since 2009.  I did XC in school, ran track, but never any long distance.  I ran a marathon in 2010 and have since run about 3 HM as well as a couple HIM.  I was injured late last year/early this year, Achilles.  When I came back, I started out super slow, built super slow.  But ran 6 days a week, all Z2-ish.  By the time my half iron mid July, I had only gotten up to a 12.5km long run.  But, because of my consistency, I was able to run the 20km in just a few minutes slower than my open HM time.  Firm believer in base here!

I have read a good part of the book already, and to be honest, a lot of it is over my head, and over my current training ability.  I am injury prone despite my best efforts at smart training.  But I do find the discussion interesting and expect to learn a lot from all you runnin' types.

2013-09-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
OKEE DOKEE:

I spent 38 years avoiding two things: running and reading - now I'm doing both - and mostly because I'd rather participate than watch and "everyone else is doing it."

Started running in the fall of 2012 and spent most of winter and early spring 2013 injured. Found a great PT in June of this year and I feel great. I did 10 sprint tris this summer (I'm a strong cyclist but weak swimmer and runner) - 6 of them were weekly off road in a series and 4 were stand alone.

My biking was great but this off season I really need to work on running and swimming. My goal is the pumpkin man HIM Sept 2014.

I want to learn to run good.
2013-09-14 4:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

NH
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
My biking was great but this off season I really need to work on running and swimming. My goal is the pumpkin man HIM Sept 2014.

Pumpkinman in Maine? Awesome race! I haven't decided whether to target the Rev3 in Old Orchard or Pumpkinman next year.

I started running about 4 years ago at age 48. Never ran before that except as part of a team sport. I didn't get "serious" about running until 2 winters ago. I spent that winter running 6 days a week at mostly easy, sometimes hard pace, and improved a great deal. My HM PR was that spring at 1:47:28. I've really focused on biking since then, so my run has regressed a bit. Haven't had many injury issues since the first year when I committed all the really stupid run training mistakes. I'd like to spend this off season really getting my run in order and improving on that previous time.

My main target races are an early season half marathon and a late summer 70.3.

In terms of the book, is this one you need the hard copy version or would the kindle version suffice? If there are lots of tables and such, I find the kindle version is not really as useful, so I'd suspect I want to get the brick and mortar book.

2013-09-14 6:08 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I am loving reading these roll call histories. 

I'm thinking about mine, but when I try to write it it sounds like more of an intro at an AA meeting or some sort of group therapy session--ruh roh.

-----------------

Wbayek--glad you'll be joing us :)

I think this is definitely a hard copy kinda book.  Lots of charts and tables.

2013-09-14 6:23 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by msteiner

So, here in the proper venue, I'll speak a bit: you'll notice that there are no I paces for 'Mile' repeats unless you are fast enough (and have a vdot that is high enough) to race at 5min/mile pace. He wants the vo2max effort to stay at 3-5 minutes, so you should not be 'extrapolating' to guess what you 1 mile time would be above 5 minutes. T pace is safer and better. (Or go out and run a 5K fast enough to support training at that much faster pace.) Otherwise, JD advises mile repeats at T pace with enough rest to do several of these (up to 8% of the weekly mileage) As training progresses in a block of training, there is a progression from R pace to T and I, with shorter recoveries, to get used to race pace and build ability to 'clear lactate', while shifting the curve of LT to the right and build mitochondria in the muscles to hold 'comfortably hard' for a longer time. The strides, or 3x200M reps, are for neuromuscular training. At least that's the way I remember it...

I've read that as well, but for 1 mile effort, if I can handle running a 5k at my 5k pace, then how is it unsafe for me to do a 3x1 mile with 4 minute jog workout at said pace?

The injury risk is higher. If you run 5K races every week, you will break down. If you train at that high a pace all the time with these efforts, the injury risk is unacceptable and that's why he wants the effort caped at 5 minutes. There is substantially less risk by training at 90% of max effort=T or LT or threshold. And if you can run lots of mile repeats at your 'extrapolated 5KRP', you haven't got an accurate 5KRP. There is a faster race in your legs waiting for you...

This has helped explain the I-pace Intervals. I-pace works VO2. T-Pace works threshold. I tend to think more in terms of those for harder work as it greatly simplifies things. Be careful not to mix the efforts and the work/recovery patterns. In the link it explains the I-pace part. You're not going hard just to go hard, but trying to go at a specific effort to work a particular part of the aerobic system. In this case it's the performance at VO2. Notice in the Figures that the time at VO2max is called out specifically. That's what this type of intervals are targeting. You want to reach this point and hold it there.

While one can go longer than 5 minutes at a time at that pace, Daniels felt this was a good upper limit in order to fit in more repeats. Longer and each interval will take a lot out of you, thereby shortening the amount of work that can be done, possibly considerably. Injury is most definitely a concern, but it's not the only one and stopping just short of injury isn't really the goal. Cycling doesn't have the injury concern and we don't do these things indefinitely there either. It's the work/recovery balance. One could do more in one workout, but the recovery cost goes up. At some point the hole becomes too great to be worth any gains that might be achieved. And also with the type of work being done, one can not continue to go hard enough to stimulate the targeted area of the workout, even though one could continue to work at a level that feels quite hard.

2013-09-14 6:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm thinking about mine, but when I try to write it it sounds like more of an intro at an AA meeting or some sort of group therapy session--ruh roh.

-----------------

Wbayek--glad you'll be joing us

C'mon Switch, let's hear it.  Not like you to hold back.  Inquiring minds want to know.Smile

2013-09-14 8:59 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by popsracer

-----------------

C'mon Switch, let's hear it.  Not like you to hold back.  Inquiring minds want to know.Smile

You beat me to it! Let's hear it Switch. We're all ears.
2013-09-14 9:12 PM

This will be a really interesting thread as I don't have much experience with JD. Initial impression is very interesting and exciting. I am looking to apply these theories for next season.

As for me my name is Dave and I am 37. Started triathlons 3 years ago after an 8 year hiatus from my original passion of running. I began in HS with XC and track. Ran indoor and outdoor track at college. After college I continued to run and had fun running 5k-25k distances. I was logging significant yearly miles which played a role in burnout. I came from the school of volume.

I'm excited to learn something new plus hear other's and share some of my experiences.

Dave

2013-09-14 11:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

So, here in the proper venue, I'll speak a bit: you'll notice that there are no I paces for 'Mile' repeats unless you are fast enough (and have a vdot that is high enough) to race at 5min/mile pace. He wants the vo2max effort to stay at 3-5 minutes, so you should not be 'extrapolating' to guess what you 1 mile time would be above 5 minutes. T pace is safer and better. (Or go out and run a 5K fast enough to support training at that much faster pace.) Otherwise, JD advises mile repeats at T pace with enough rest to do several of these (up to 8% of the weekly mileage) As training progresses in a block of training, there is a progression from R pace to T and I, with shorter recoveries, to get used to race pace and build ability to 'clear lactate', while shifting the curve of LT to the right and build mitochondria in the muscles to hold 'comfortably hard' for a longer time. The strides, or 3x200M reps, are for neuromuscular training. At least that's the way I remember it...

I've read that as well, but for 1 mile effort, if I can handle running a 5k at my 5k pace, then how is it unsafe for me to do a 3x1 mile with 4 minute jog workout at said pace?

The injury risk is higher. If you run 5K races every week, you will break down. If you train at that high a pace all the time with these efforts, the injury risk is unacceptable and that's why he wants the effort caped at 5 minutes. There is substantially less risk by training at 90% of max effort=T or LT or threshold. And if you can run lots of mile repeats at your 'extrapolated 5KRP', you haven't got an accurate 5KRP. There is a faster race in your legs waiting for you...

This has helped explain the I-pace Intervals. I-pace works VO2. T-Pace works threshold. I tend to think more in terms of those for harder work as it greatly simplifies things. Be careful not to mix the efforts and the work/recovery patterns. In the link it explains the I-pace part. You're not going hard just to go hard, but trying to go at a specific effort to work a particular part of the aerobic system. In this case it's the performance at VO2. Notice in the Figures that the time at VO2max is called out specifically. That's what this type of intervals are targeting. You want to reach this point and hold it there.

While one can go longer than 5 minutes at a time at that pace, Daniels felt this was a good upper limit in order to fit in more repeats. Longer and each interval will take a lot out of you, thereby shortening the amount of work that can be done, possibly considerably. Injury is most definitely a concern, but it's not the only one and stopping just short of injury isn't really the goal. Cycling doesn't have the injury concern and we don't do these things indefinitely there either. It's the work/recovery balance. One could do more in one workout, but the recovery cost goes up. At some point the hole becomes too great to be worth any gains that might be achieved. And also with the type of work being done, one can not continue to go hard enough to stimulate the targeted area of the workout, even though one could continue to work at a level that feels quite hard.

per arrested development, and youll understand, " marry me
2013-09-15 3:30 PM

User image

Seattle

-----------------

Where are the cookies and coffee? ya gotta go it, it's required
2013-09-15 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

-----------------

Wbayek--glad you'll be joing us :)

Where are the cookies and coffee? :) ya gotta go it, it's required

This is so ridiculous.  I have literally tried writing this five times now.  WTF?

Short version:

I'm naturally a sprinter, but I have been running long distances for >20 years.  I have never read a book about long distance running, had a coach, or really given it much thought.  I have done somewhere between 10-15 marathons (I really can't remember--is that weird?) with a prekid PR of 3:20.  I am just coming back to running now that I'm done having kids and am emerging from the baby cave.  I have one season of tris under my belt--one sprint, two olys and a HIM.  According to JD, my VDOT based off a 5K I did in May is ~45 (I think). I'm excited to learn how to run with a method to the madness.

-------------------

Long version:

I'm a sprinter who tries to do endurance sports.  I am actually a "gifted" sprinter and ran very competitively at an early age 10-12yo and burned out from the pressure of racing (National AAU level) 100s, 200s, 400s, 1 x 400 (anchor), 4 x 400s (anchor).  

I came back to running as a way to get time by myself, first in boarding school, and then in college (I went to a service academy for the first two years--not your typical college). 

I ran for lots of reasons, none of them were to improve my running or to compete in running.  I ran at one speed almost all of the time, which in retrospect, was threshold or just below--every run, every time.  I ran to be by myself, to have control, to process bad stuff that was happenning, to feel that burn because that burn made other stuff not hurt as much.  Running has been the cheapest and best form of therapy for me, and that's the only way I used it for years.  I didn't want to race because I still had race pressure hold over from my sprints as a kid.  I didn't want to train for anything because I really needed running to just serve the therapy function. 

I can still get into trouble with running because it still very much serves that function in my life.  Cycling doesn't do it.  Swimming doesn't do it.  Running does though, and it's a little bit like crack for me in that way, and I certainly abuse it.  I'm flirting with an overreaching period right now most certainly because I'm also dealing with some significant personal stress.  So there it is.

2013-09-15 6:42 PM

User image

Seattle

-----------------

This is so ridiculous.  I have literally tried writing this five times now.  WTF?

Short version:

I'm naturally a sprinter, but I have been running long distances for >20 years.  I have never read a book about long distance running, had a coach, or really given it much thought.  I have done somewhere between 10-15 marathons (I really can't remember--is that weird?) with a prekid PR of 3:20.  I am just coming back to running now that I'm done having kids and am emerging from the baby cave.  I have one season of tris under my belt--one sprint, two olys and a HIM.  According to JD, my VDOT based off a 5K I did in May is ~45 (I think). I'm excited to learn how to run with a method to the madness.

-------------------

Long version:

I'm a sprinter who tries to do endurance sports.  I am actually a "gifted" sprinter and ran very competitively at an early age 10-12yo and burned out from the pressure of racing (National AAU level) 100s, 200s, 400s, 1 x 400 (anchor), 4 x 400s (anchor).  

I came back to running as a way to get time by myself, first in boarding school, and then in college (I went to a service academy for the first two years--not your typical college). 

I ran for lots of reasons, none of them were to improve my running or to compete in running.  I ran at one speed almost all of the time, which in retrospect, was threshold or just below--every run, every time.  I ran to be by myself, to have control, to process bad stuff that was happenning, to feel that burn because that burn made other stuff not hurt as much.  Running has been the cheapest and best form of therapy for me, and that's the only way I used it for years.  I didn't want to race because I still had race pressure hold over from my sprints as a kid.  I didn't want to train for anything because I really needed running to just serve the therapy function. 

I can still get into trouble with running because it still very much serves that function in my life.  Cycling doesn't do it.  Swimming doesn't do it.  Running does though, and it's a little bit like crack for me in that way, and I certainly abuse it.  I'm flirting with an overreaching period right now most certainly because I'm also dealing with some significant personal stress.  So there it is.

thats fantastic, Elesa. Great write up. Do you know if you have any all-comers meets in your area? You could rekindle the sprinting career of you wanted :
2013-09-15 7:19 PM

I agree these are interesting. Keep 'em coming!

2013-09-15 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

-----------------

Short version:

-------------------

Long version:

thats fantastic, Elesa. Great write up. Do you know if you have any all-comers meets in your area? You could rekindle the sprinting career of you wanted :
huh...you know, I've never ever thought of doing that. Hmmm. Huh. Uhhhhhh, I'm gonna roll that idea around a bit.
2013-09-15 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Do you ever have one of those times in your life when lots of things line up that make you feel like your on a path to figuring some big thing out--kismet, serendipity, something like that.  Yeah, OK, I'm kinda feeling that way about reading this book.

So I'm about 30 pages into the book and I'm loving it, mostly because, holy crap, have I been doing it wrong! Frick.  So I guess I'm loving it because it makes a lot of sense.  I'm loving it because there's a lot of science and physiology (I'm a scientist, so I dig that).  I'm loving it because I believe now, more than ever, that I have significant room for improvement. 

RIGHT ON.

Anybody else have any initial response, thoughts or questions?

-----

Salty, I saw your altitude question the other day and grabbed some popcorn for the responses, but saw you didn't get many.  Then I saw the JD section on altitude early in the book.  I had no idea that the benefits of training at altitude could last for years.  Woah. 

So when are you gonna go somewhere high for a month?

2013-09-15 8:49 PM

User image

New user

-----------------

Short version:

-------------------

Long version:

I enjoyed reading this glimpse into your life and what has brought you to this point in it. Thank you for sharing this with us!
Mary

2013-09-15 11:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Do you ever have one of those times in your life when lots of things line up that make you feel like your on a path to figuring some big thing out--kismet, serendipity, something like that.  Yeah, OK, I'm kinda feeling that way about reading this book.

So I'm about 30 pages into the book and I'm loving it, mostly because, holy crap, have I been doing it wrong! Frick.  So I guess I'm loving it because it makes a lot of sense.  I'm loving it because there's a lot of science and physiology (I'm a scientist, so I dig that).  I'm loving it because I believe now, more than ever, that I have significant room for improvement. 

RIGHT ON.

-----

Salty, I saw your altitude question the other day and grabbed some popcorn for the responses, but saw you didn't get many.  Then I saw the JD section on altitude early in the book.  I had no idea that the benefits of training at altitude could last for years.  Woah. 

I had an initial response to this that was similar.  I've been working really hard, even doing core which I've always hated and considering changes to my diet, and while I've had formal coaching/training when I was young I didn't have to think too much just do what I was told.  Now, since I have no coach I have to figure stuff out for myself.

What I have read so far makes so much sense and is giving me a great foundation for discussion with my local runner friends.  I can also see very clearly many of my mistakes and why I made them over the last five years.  Most of my miles were way too fast.  No wonder I was always injured.  To be honest I never really believed that easy miles would make me fast.  What is so important is learning (in a convincing fashion) that certain physiological adaptions occur at an easy pace just as well as fast.  I am still having trouble slowing down but I am trying and this allows me to run more miles and be fresher for the occasional quality work out.

I also have not really done tempo runs correctly.  Again, understanding the purpose of this type of workout has helped me correctly lay out the pace and duration of this.  Intervals too.  I did my first real quality workouts over the past couple of weeks and while they were harder than what I was doing they will provide greatly more benefit.  The VDOT charts were a great tool to establish pace for these workouts.

I'll probably reread the chapters I've been through before moving on.  It is helpful to read, apply what you've read, and then go back with greater perspective to really let it sink in. 

2013-09-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by brigby1

Good stuff.  I managed to get through a few months of training against the intent of JD, so I guess the answer is that I have a faster race in me, and I need to learn how to suffer better.  Seeing the runners that beat me it definitely feels like they're prepared to endure a lot more than me.  Hopefully my marathon training will make me better at that.

2013-09-16 10:12 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

And for the roll call (warning, this can be lengthy):

I played football and ran track in high school. In track I ran mile, 400, and mile relay.  My best mile was a 4:50, but I could run a 50 second quarter.  I could have probably been faster in the mile if my coach (who was my football coach) knew more about running. 

In college I gained about 45 pounds (yeah....), which was a product of engineering school, Little Ceasars, and being too tired to workout anymore.  I'm 5'7, and I weighed 190 at graduation.  

Once I started working, I got tired of telling people how I used to be an athletic guy.  I felt like I was a shadow of my former self.  One day I found myself at a crossroads.  I was getting dressed for work, and noticed that my size belt was almost too small.  I told myself I had a choice: either buy a new belt and accept that you're going to get bigger, or do pack some running clothes and do something about this once and for all.

We had showers at my first job, so I was able to run during lunch.  That day I ran the hardest 3 miles of my life.  I ran, then I jogged, then I walked, then tried to jog some more, and spent most of my lunch break getting back.  I then got so sore that I nearly gave up again.  I decided I needed an ambitious goal to keep me accountable, so I signed up for a half marathon.  I trained for months and finished the half with a time of 2:32.  It was one of the hardest races I've done.  I lost 10 pounds in the 4 months I spent getting ready for it, which I felt wasn't fast enough at all.  

One day at work a friend of mine asked me to drop him off at a bike shop to pick up his hybrid that he needed work on.  He lived a mile away from the shop, so he wanted to just ride his bike home that day.  When we got there the place was packed!  I had to go inside to see what was going on.  It was like a party in there!  People were chatting and there was food and music playing.  I asked someone in the shop what was going on, and they said it was packet pickup for the Heatwave triathlon (half mile swim, 40k bike, 10k run).  I thought to myself "one day, I'm going to do that race!".  

Luck would have it a month later there was an info session about a beginner tri training group that one our running stores was putting on.  It was training for a sprint.  Holy crap did my body react to that training.  I lost 20 pounds within 3 months getting ready for the sprint tri the group was training for.  I raced Heatwave two weeks after that, and have been racing since (just finished my 4th tri season).

2013-09-16 11:51 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I'm on my way to Barnes & Noble to pick up my hard copy of this book. I was going to go digital style, but a couple of comments abut the charts and such got me to switch. I do generally prefer hard copies for training guides / books like this, although books I read for entertainment are now usually ebooks.

I've been off and on running for a while now, but didn't start doing it seriously until 2010 when my buddy and I were looking for a new challenge and signed up for a Warrior Dash (5K obstacle course). It seems like no big deal now, but before I signed up for that, the idea of running a full 3.1 miles was not something I really wanted to tackle. I'd always been a swimmer, and I did a lot of cardio and lifting in the gym, played basketball and such all the time. Well, in the middle of the Warrior Dash training, I suddenly took up running 5Ks. About 2 weeks after finishing my first Warrior Dash, I signed up for a local sprint triathlon the day before it happened. I borrowed a bike from a friend (which I subsequently bought). I realized I could do okay at these races, except for being about the worst in my AG for running. I'd end up walking in the run portion for almost every race I did that first summer.

I've since increased my running quite a bit, and am much faster than I used to be, but still not real dangerous in that discipline which holds me back from being on the AG podium quite often (I've still not broken 24:00 in a 5K, and the guys who beat me in the races all run 21:xx or 20:xx). I've run a half marathon and a Tough Mudder (12 mile obstacle run), but I still don't really know what I am doing out there. It isn't a lack of ability to understand, I've just never put the time into learning what I am doing. All of my training has been haphazardly stolen from other people's plans without any great knowledge of why workouts were ordered the way they were.

I just don't like running that much (mostly now due to plantar fasciitis issues), so I wasn't going to join in on this at first, but then since there was a group all doing it, I had to jump on the bandwagon. Hopefully I'll learn something and gain some real speed for next year.
2013-09-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Seattle

Me:

I'm actually relatively new to all of this running stuff. I've been running about 2.5 years now. 

I was a pole-vaulter in High School and played some hockey in college.

After college, and even during, I gained weight and become pretty inactive just trying to figure life out. I probably gained 35 lbs or so (Right there with ya Matt Smile) I was also really depressed and I just seemed to have all this negative energy wound up inside. I started working out, without much effort or direction. A friend of mine talked me into signing up for a triathlon. I did that (which also brought me to BT) and found that I really liked the running part. I definitely didn't do things correctly in the beginning. In 2011 I  randomly won entry into a HM and ran it the next day. With minimal training I ran something like a 1:42 so, I decided to run a marathon. The running was/is totally my therapy. I love doing it. I don't know what changed, because I used to dread running. Now, it quite simply makes me a better person.

I've decided I really like the marathon distance and have made some pretty big long term goals. In the meantime I have decided to do things better. I joined a competitive running club and read everything I could get my hands on, including "Running Formula." I'm doing more periodization, planning to run track in the summers for speed, cross country for strength in the fall, build base and ramp into the marathon in the spring. The running club I am part of definitely runs the practices using his principles, so it is a double win.

My PRs are:

5K 19:12

10K 40:50

HM 1:27:26

Marathon 3:13:16

Now that I have some nice and easy miles under my belt, I am ready to start leaning into all of this and pushing hard. I want to understand exactly what I am doing and why. I know for a fact "Running Formula" will help with that but I think being able to discuss it with all of you fine folks will really drive it home.

What I really like about JD is that it provides an excellent foundation for a program, giving all the science and technical data to make good decisions. 

Additionally, I know there is an art to running and that is the part that I am good at. I am really looking forward to blending the two.

2013-09-16 12:31 PM

User image

Seattle

RIGHT ON.

-----

I need to re-read his altitude section. I was really disappointed with the responses here.

I'm not getting all crazy trying to live high and train low or anything. I just owe my parents a visit (they live near Mammoth at like 7,500' )and thought if I had the facts straight, I could time it appropriately for my Boston training.

I'll reread this section and ask you all questions.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1868 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2168 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1706 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2294 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1397 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.