Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Me:

I'm actually relatively new to all of this running stuff. I've been running about 2.5 years now. 

I was a pole-vaulter in High School and played some hockey in college.

After college, and even during, I gained weight and become pretty inactive just trying to figure life out. I probably gained 35 lbs or so (Right there with ya Matt Smile) I was also really depressed and I just seemed to have all this negative energy wound up inside. I started working out, without much effort or direction. A friend of mine talked me into signing up for a triathlon. I did that (which also brought me to BT) and found that I really liked the running part. I definitely didn't do things correctly in the beginning. In 2011 I  randomly won entry into a HM and ran it the next day. With minimal training I ran something like a 1:42 so, I decided to run a marathon. The running was/is totally my therapy. I love doing it. I don't know what changed, because I used to dread running. Now, it quite simply makes me a better person.

I've decided I really like the marathon distance and have made some pretty big long term goals. In the meantime I have decided to do things better. I joined a competitive running club and read everything I could get my hands on, including "Running Formula." I'm doing more periodization, planning to run track in the summers for speed, cross country for strength in the fall, build base and ramp into the marathon in the spring. The running club I am part of definitely runs the practices using his principles, so it is a double win.

My PRs are:

5K 19:12

10K 40:50

HM 1:27:26

Marathon 3:13:16

Now that I have some nice and easy miles under my belt, I am ready to start leaning into all of this and pushing hard. I want to understand exactly what I am doing and why. I know for a fact "Running Formula" will help with that but I think being able to discuss it with all of you fine folks will really drive it home.

What I really like about JD is that it provides an excellent foundation for a program, giving all the science and technical data to make good decisions. 

Additionally, I know there is an art to running and that is the part that I am good at. I am really looking forward to blending the two.

I wish I could run fast enough to pull off wearing those pants. Those are something else.

2013-09-16 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My PRs are:

Our times are so similar 

5k 19:01 (I still lose sleep over this one)

10k 39:51

HM 1:29:39

This marathon I have coming up will be my first serious one.  

2013-09-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by msteiner

My PRs are:

Our times are so similar 

and our collegiate weight gain Wink Boooo yaaaaah!

2013-09-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Me:

I'm actually relatively new to all of this running stuff. I've been running about 2.5 years now. 

I was a pole-vaulter in High School and played some hockey in college.

After college, and even during, I gained weight and become pretty inactive just trying to figure life out. I probably gained 35 lbs or so (Right there with ya Matt Smile) I was also really depressed and I just seemed to have all this negative energy wound up inside. I started working out, without much effort or direction. A friend of mine talked me into signing up for a triathlon. I did that (which also brought me to BT) and found that I really liked the running part. I definitely didn't do things correctly in the beginning. In 2011 I  randomly won entry into a HM and ran it the next day. With minimal training I ran something like a 1:42 so, I decided to run a marathon. The running was/is totally my therapy. I love doing it. I don't know what changed, because I used to dread running. Now, it quite simply makes me a better person.

I've decided I really like the marathon distance and have made some pretty big long term goals. In the meantime I have decided to do things better. I joined a competitive running club and read everything I could get my hands on, including "Running Formula." I'm doing more periodization, planning to run track in the summers for speed, cross country for strength in the fall, build base and ramp into the marathon in the spring. The running club I am part of definitely runs the practices using his principles, so it is a double win.

My PRs are:

Now that I have some nice and easy miles under my belt, I am ready to start leaning into all of this and pushing hard. I want to understand exactly what I am doing and why. I know for a fact "Running Formula" will help with that but I think being able to discuss it with all of you fine folks will really drive it home.

What I really like about JD is that it provides an excellent foundation for a program, giving all the science and technical data to make good decisions. 

Additionally, I know there is an art to running and that is the part that I am good at. I am really looking forward to blending the two.

I wish I could run fast enough to pull off wearing those pants. Those are something else.

I think you get the pants first, then you get fast Smile

2013-09-16 2:09 PM

User image

I'd like to participate.

Roll call: My name is Jennifer, I'm 47, and I've been running since 2004. I only started triathlons this year, but now I am back to a run-only phase as I build up to a spring marathon.

I've actually followed Daniels philosophy for my training for a while. I also use a HRM for info purposes but tend to set my paces more using a vDot calculator. I read "Running Formula" a while ago, but should get it from the library again to follow along.

My first half-marathon in 2004 was in 2:09 and my 10K times were mid 50s. Using focused training and paces based on Daniels, I've been successful at improving speed up to the half-marathon distances, but have had trouble in the marathon. My PRs to date:

5K, 23:05 (2011)
10K, 47:00 (2007)
half-marathon: 1:47 (2011)
marathon, 4:06 (2010)

You can see that there's a bit of a gap since my PRs. 2012 was a tough injury year, and I'm still getting my speed back. I ran a half in June in just over 2:00 and a 10K in 53 min, so I have a ways to go. My recent 5K best is just under 25 minutes, and I realize I've been trying to do my speedwork and tempos too fast. Daniels vDot tells me I should be I should be doing about 4:54/km for I-pace and 5:15/km for T-pace, and I've been trying to go too hard (based on my old fitness levels).

I'm looking forward to following along with the insight that people get from this method of training.
2013-09-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I misread this at first, causing me to spit out my water. I was reading so fast I thought you wrote something about getting *in* the pants first. No wonder I'm so slow.

Edited by MSU_Brad 2013-09-16 2:50 PM

2013-09-16 3:03 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by MSU_Brad Originally posted by Asalzwed

I misread this at first, causing me to spit out my water. I was reading so fast I thought you wrote something about getting *in* the pants first. No wonder I'm so slow.

That has also been known to add speed.

2013-09-16 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My PRs are:

Our times are so similar 

Do you have a before and after picture?  You show me yours and I'll show you mine

2013-09-16 3:40 PM

User image

Seattle

My PRs are:

Our times are so similar 

Do you have a before and after picture?  You show me yours and I'll show you mine

Yeah, I can dig a before and after up. I don't know if people mind them being posted here of if they should go elsewhere? 

2013-09-16 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

My PRs are:

Our times are so similar 

Do you have a before and after picture?  You show me yours and I'll show you mine ;)

Yeah, I can dig a before and after up. I don't know if people mind them being posted here of if they should go elsewhere? 

I always like pics. I think they totally work here:)
2013-09-16 4:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Ok, most of my photos are from weddings I'm not trying to be fancy or anything lol.

Before:

And then these are just recent race photos for the After

2013-09-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Nice transformation, Salty!  As promised:

Me the day of my college graduation:

The pic to the left is during a 15k I ran two months before my first half.  The right side is the same race after my first tri season (one year later):

My avatar pic is me in a sprint tri.

Lastly here's what I look like in normal people clothes now:

Edited by msteiner 2013-09-16 4:33 PM
2013-09-16 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

These are AWESOME! 

That is a big change.  Did you purposefully alter your diet, or did the weight just come off with running?

p.s. you still fancy Herr DID!

p.p.s. I can't believe you've only been running for 2.5 years.  It is truly remarkable.

2013-09-16 4:42 PM

User image

Seattle

Nice transformation, Salty!  As promised:

Me the day of my college graduation:

The pic to the left is during a 15k I ran two months before my first half.  The right side is the same race after my first tri season (one year later):

My avatar pic is me in a sprint tri.

Lastly here's what I look like in normal people clothes now:

Ahhhh nice work, man!! Very freekin' cool. And I can most certainly appreciate what it takes.

We've got a lot in common, eh?????

2013-09-16 4:46 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

These are AWESOME! 

That is a big change.  Did you purposefully alter your diet, or did the weight just come off with running?

p.p.s. I can't believe you've only been running for 2.5 years.  It is truly remarkable.

OH YOU FANCY, HUH?

Yeah, I started with the diet. I just started eating real food. I learned what a portion was. Not rocket science but some of this shyte is all convoluted with fads and whatnot. Cooking nearly all my own meals (and making enough for lunch) was probably the most effective thing I did once I knew the general ins and outs of nutrition. 

2013-09-16 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yeah MATT! 

That's some super strong work. Lookin good in and out of the street clothes, btw. 

I mean that in the best, non-creepy, older woman kinda way.

2013-09-16 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

These are AWESOME! 

OH YOU FANCY, HUH?

Yeah, I started with the diet. I just started eating real food. I learned what a portion was. Not rocket science but some of this shyte is all convoluted with fads and whatnot. Cooking nearly all my own meals (and making enough for lunch) was probably the most effective thing I did once I knew the general ins and outs of nutrition. 

Word.  Preach it, sister.
2013-09-16 4:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah MATT! 

That's some super strong work. Lookin good in and out of the street clothes, btw. 

I also like that you are wearing the same color shirts, it adds to the before/after effect Smile

and I also want to make a comment about Elesa being a creeper but nothing is coming to me right now. That is all.

2013-09-16 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yeah MATT! 

I also like that you are wearing the same color shirts, it adds to the before/after effect Smile

and I also want to make a comment about Elesa being a creeper but nothing is coming to me right now. That is all.

It occurred ot me today when I clicked on the guys of BT thread and somy avi plastered all over it, that I probably seem (am?) a total creeper.  At some point you just have to own it, I guess...
2013-09-16 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ahhhh nice work, man!! Very freekin' cool. And I can most certainly appreciate what it takes.

Thanks!  And so it seems!

I personally didn't do a whole lot to my diet.  I did stop drinking soda as much.  I used to be able to put away some Mountain Dew!  I still eat fast food occasionally.

2013-09-16 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I personally didn't do a whole lot to my diet.  I did stop drinking soda as much.  I used to be able to put away some Mountain Dew!  I still eat fast food occasionally.

You know what is cracking me up right now? Just how far your kit has come! Cotton t-shirt and basketball shorts to--

(matt new kit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
matt new kit.jpg (158KB - 7 downloads)

2013-09-16 4:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah MATT! 

It occurred ot me today when I clicked on the guys of BT thread and somy avi plastered all over it, that I probably seem (am?) a total creeper.  At some point you just have to own it, I guess...

Hahahaha, I suppose so! I don't mind if you want to pretend to deny it a little longer though. Secret safe with me.

2013-09-16 5:00 PM

User image

Seattle

You know what is cracking me up right now? Just how far your kit has come! Cotton t-shirt and basketball shorts to--

Ah yeah! Who's fancy now!?!

2013-09-16 5:23 PM

User image

Seattle
Anyhoo ... it's the 16th today so everyone should begin reading. Should we establish a stopping point and then begin discussion? Does anyone have any questiosn thus far? Any comments?
2013-09-16 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yeah MATT! 

Hahahaha, I suppose so! I don't mind if you want to pretend to deny it a little longer though. Secret safe with me.

Full disclosure, I'm probably the opposite of a creeper.  The reality is that I can't stand it when people put themselves out there--with a pic or whatever and they get no response.  It gives me a little heartache. 

Now, don't go telling anybody that...

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1872 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2173 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1710 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2299 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1401 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.