General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Coach near Schaumburg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-25 10:51 AM

, California
Subject: Swim Coach near Schaumburg
I'm looking for a good swim coach near Schaumburg. I'm a beginner (can barely swim 50 yards without getting tired) but I want to learn from someone experienced, not the park district teenager that does swim lessons locally.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Ryan

2013-09-26 2:38 PM
in reply to: cbr shadow

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Swim Coach near Schaumburg

Check out Jennifer Harrison

http://jenharrison.com/

2013-09-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: cbr shadow

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I've been swimming seriously for about a year. What I did to get started was just went out and swam a bunch. I watch some youtube videos and then hit the pool. It sucked at first, really. After a couple of months of that, I joined a masters group.

My thinking was that, at least initially, there isn't a lot of benefit from coaching, since everything you do is going to be bad - at least it was for me. If you can't swim 50 yards, then no amount of coaching is going to help that - time in the water will help that.

A couple of other thoughts - buy a pull buoy. Try swimoutlet.com. That will take your legs out of the equation, letting you focus on stroke and breathing. It will also pull your hips up higher in the water, making your form better. Pull drills help you learn balance in the water. Also, by quieting the legs, you save energy to stroke with. Especially initially, kicking and stroking would put me into oxygen debt almost instantly; the pull buoy let me swim better while focusing on the stroke. Once I had the stroke, then I added my legs back in to the mix.

Swim slow. Slower than that - keep going slower. Especially in the water, slow = smooth, smooth = fast.
2013-09-27 10:03 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

, California
Good advice guys - thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Coach near Schaumburg Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathletes/Clubs near Schaumburg?

Started by cbr shadow
Views: 2026 Posts: 5

2013-10-16 1:49 PM TowJoe

Anyone doing the Schaumburg 13.1?

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 1542 Posts: 12

2012-11-26 3:18 PM mcgilmartin

Schaumburg, IL area

Started by Curtisb
Views: 1559 Posts: 8

2012-04-09 8:11 PM Curtisb

Open water swims near Morris?

Started by realtree71
Views: 829 Posts: 1

2010-01-04 1:35 PM realtree71

Splash and Dash Schaumburg

Started by Sailing Hot Dog
Views: 2005 Posts: 9

2009-07-17 7:03 AM FurnaceM3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.