United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 31m 4s
Overall Rank = 1477/2219
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 198/263
Pre-race routine:

Before I get into the race report, here is a little information about myself. This is my 3rd season competing in triathlons. This was my first Half Ironman (my first Olympic triathlon was in June of this year). I'm writing this report mainly because I found BT race reports very interesting and helpful when considering bumping up from sprints to the Olympic distance and from the Olympic distance to the 70.3 distance.

Ok, now on to the race report. I woke up at 4:30am (4 hours before my wave start). I had my standard pre-race breakfast (banana, peanut butter sandwich, apple). I stupidly had trouble finding the rental car keys, but my support crew (wife, friend, and the dogs) finally left for the race site at 5:30am. The traffic trying to park at the race site was ridiculous (we probably sat for 40 minutes). I rushed to get on the bus that would take athletes from the parking area to T1 and the swim start. I pumped up my tires, put my nutrition on the bike, and left T1 with about 3 minutes before it closed. There were still dozens of athletes in T1. The race director actually delayed the race due to the chaos. If you're considering doing this race in the future, be sure to arrive at least an hour earlier than you think you need to. I won't complain too much though, because the race logistics were great other than the pre-race debacle.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warm-up. Once in my wetsuit, I jogged a bit in a grassy field before lining up in my swim wave.
Swim
  • 40m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I was very pleased with my swim. I don't claim to be a fast swimmer. My goal was 40 minutes based on my pool times (my 1000 yard TT 2 weeks before the race was 17:12).

The course was a triangle (buoys on left shoulder). Visibility was fairly poor, and there was some chop due to winds and thunderstorms the morning of the race.

This was the first race where I was using my wetsuit (I had 3 practice swims with my wetsuit). Contact was fairly minimal throughout the swim leg. My main problem was swimming straight. I felt like I was constantly drifting to the right. I only breathe to my right, so perhaps an asymmetry in my stroke causes this issue.

I never looked at my Garmin to see how fast I was going. However, I felt like I wasn't making any progress on the way back to shore. I was pretty happy to see 40 minutes once I finally made it to shore. I was surprised to see this was faster than the median overall and for my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Work on swimming straigther. First, I probably need to continue working on bi-lateral breathing. Second, I need to do more open water swims (it's tough to replicate the lack of visibility, lane lines, etc) in a pool.
Transition 1
  • 07m 40s
Comments:

I struggled to get my wetsuit off of my left arm (it was caught on my GPS). The wetsuit stripper helped, and I was off to my bike. My time was a slow (I tend to have slow transitions in any race I do), but I wasn't that concerned.

Practice taking my wetsuit off (particularly while wearing my GPS).
Bike
  • 3h 08m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very pleased with my bike leg.

The course is 1 loop. Road conditions were varied (some parts were smooth, some portions were pretty rough).

I thought my time would be around 3 hours (16 mph), but I was around 10% faster than that. I'm not sure if this was due to race adrenaline, or if course was just flatter than my training routes (probably a little bit of both).

I consumed 3 Clif Shot Blocks every 30 minutes (which equates to 200 calories per hour). I consumed 2 large bottles of PowerBar Perform.

I wouldn't change much. I might eat a little bit more.
Transition 2
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

My time was fairly slow, but I'm not sure what I would do to save a lot of time.

I wouldn't change much.
Run
  • 2h 29m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the leg that worried me the most. I've struggled with IT Band issues over the past year, and this limited my run training. I've only recently worked up to 1 long run on 10 miles.

The course was a 3 loop course. I started the run planning to execute a 4:1 run/walk strategy.

I felt really good for the first 6 miles. Then I developed a side stich on my right side (this didn't occur in training). I walked for about a mile and began to run again. Then I totally hit the wall around mile 8. I felt nauseous, my feet hurt, and it was tough to just keep moving forward.

Given my lack of run training, I was pretty happy to finish with a 2:29 run split. My IT Bands behaved, so I'm most excited about being able to move forward with my training pain free.

I believe my main limiter was lack of run fitness (due to IT Band issues in training). Now that my IT Bands seem to be behaving, I should be able to increase my run training.

I also need to continue to experiment with nutrition to identify the optimal amounts of calories, fluids, electrolytes, and carbs to consume.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't really warm down. I basically sat down and had a Coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My main limiter was lack of run fitness (as described above). This should be less of a concern going forward given that my IT Band issues seem to have lessened.

Event comments:

This was a good race for my first Half Ironman. My only complaint would be the delays in pre-race traffic/parking (described above).

Last updated: 2013-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:09 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 130/263
Overall: 979/2219
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:30 | 56 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 190/263
Overall: 1325/2219
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 1 loop course
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:29:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 198/263
Overall: 1474/2219
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-04 10:01 AM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Austin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

Started by Tyrell
Views: 1597 Posts: 1

2009-10-27 3:56 PM Tyrell

Started by dangitdake
Views: 1871 Posts: 7

2009-11-09 10:13 AM dangitdake

Started by TriMikeP1973
Views: 2170 Posts: 7

2009-10-30 5:02 PM Gawaine79

Started by dgunthert
Views: 2469 Posts: 3

2009-10-30 5:03 PM Bill

Started by dgunthert
Views: 4014 Posts: 16

2008-10-07 4:28 PM jldicarlo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 36
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.