Haven't tried them yet, but curious4 Votes - [15.38%]

2013-11-13 2:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Plyometrics

Originally posted by dmiller5

I think here conditioning is meant to indicate training of the aerobic systems. Bcagle is pointing out that the purpose of plyometrics is to increase maximal power, not aerobic endurance. If you do not allow rest, you are not getting the intended benefits out of your plyometrics

I agree about allowing for rest.  But I do think plyometrics that take you into zone 4/5 are impacting the cardio system positively.  Examples would be 60-90 seconds of repetitive motion such as jumping lunges, power squats (with hopping motion), hops over a low bench.  We do this in a drill based format with plenty of rest in between each drill set.  To me, that is cardio conditioning and that is a tough workout that zaps me for a day.

I think plyometric is a broad term.  I see it defined a certain way by NSCA as referenced in this thread but that's just one agency.  It's more generally defined as "jump training".  I'm looking at the term from a general fitness standpoint, not from a sport specific training standpoint.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-11-13 2:42 PM

2013-11-13 4:17 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by dmiller5

I think here conditioning is meant to indicate training of the aerobic systems. Bcagle is pointing out that the purpose of plyometrics is to increase maximal power, not aerobic endurance. If you do not allow rest, you are not getting the intended benefits out of your plyometrics

I agree about allowing for rest.  But I do think plyometrics that take you into zone 4/5 are impacting the cardio system positively.  Examples would be 60-90 seconds of repetitive motion such as jumping lunges, power squats (with hopping motion), hops over a low bench.  We do this in a drill based format with plenty of rest in between each drill set.  To me, that is cardio conditioning and that is a tough workout that zaps me for a day.

I think plyometric is a broad term.  I see it defined a certain way by NSCA as referenced in this thread but that's just one agency.  It's more generally defined as "jump training".  I'm looking at the term from a general fitness standpoint, not from a sport specific training standpoint.

I guess I don't totally understand what makes something plyometric (or not) at this point. Is it the jumping (concentric), the landing (eccentric), the rebound/reaction/rejumping after landing? The height? The reps? Rest? Even if Noelle's class is "conditioning" does that really mean the body is not--through the jumping movements--getting a stress response that can benefit power and soft tissue stiffness? Does the body's response to stress have such clear lines of demarcation?

I know a thread has potential when I'm more confused by page 2 than I was with the OP :)

We currently have the "running economy" thread going too and Shame listed ploys on that OP, but then qualifies with a later post saying probably wouldn't with an AGer.

Even with a 10:1 rest to work interval, it wouldn't have to equate to that much time--15 or 20 min.

I'm "just" an AGer, but I like to try new things, challenge myself, and find that my body responds well to new stimuli. When I look around at a lot of my fellow AGers, I see very, VERY, fit individuals-many who come to this sport with years (some decades) of training background. Many are very lean and have exceptional strength to body weight ratios. If it is truly a time argument, there are only so many hours in a day, and I get that. But I don't agree that AGers don't have the fitness for the ploys Skiba described.

2013-11-13 4:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Sorry, this very well may be common knowledge, so I apologize. But what exactly is an age-grouper? 

2013-11-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sorry, this very well may be common knowledge, so I apologize. But what exactly is an age-grouper? 

Those of us who do tris and aren't pro or race at that level.
2013-11-14 7:25 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

I voted year round because the class I teach which is a full body, core intensive drill based "bootcamp" style class includes several rounds of plyos.  I've been teaching it for about 10 years and I can tell you that it has definitely taken its toll on my joints--but it's also a big part of how I stay fiercely lean.  It's like the best friend/worst enemy.

The goal of my class like most other group fitness classes is overall improved general fitness and improving body composition.  For endurance athletes, it would be considered a cross training day.  While I do think it's helped me cardiovascularly because it's essentially zone training, I've never really thought of it as directly applicable to triathlon training.  The problem for me is that it zaps my strength and energy for a day and basically makes any s/b/r training I would do that day or the next into a lackluster session.

I do love them and love that feeling of a super concentrated quick burst of power.  But I think I'd be a faster triathlete without them (at least doing them once a week into tri training season).  I guess I don't care THAT much about being a still as average as I am now but slightly faster AG'er.

I may be misunderstanding you, but plyos are not conditioning drills. And you are "zapped" because it is zoo demanding on your nervous system.

Plyos most certainly can be conditioning drills and in my class that is how they are used.  Zapped because it's essentially a zone 4/5 workout.  It's similar to HIIT where the high intensity portion is the plyos.

See the link that Don posted and read mistake #3. I completely disagree with you and I think most strength and conditioning professionals will as well. The NSCA defines plyometrics as activities that enable a muscle to reach maximal force in the shortest possible time. This is done through quick and powerful movements through the use of the SSC. You cannot do these quick and powerful movements without proper rest in between each set. For example if I am going to have an athlete jump off a box to learn the mechanics of how to absorb force I might write a set that has 15 seconds between each jump and 3 minutes between each set. This is to properly rest. This goes back to my rest intervals that I mentioned previously in this post. Plyometric program design can be written similarly to power training. i.e. lots of rest is needed between sets.

Yes, we recover between sets.  Doesn't make the 75 minute workout any less intense or draining.

Heh, I don't know how to respond to this anymore, especially with your thoughts on how it can be considered conditioning. "Mistake #3 - Turning plyometrics into conditioning Example: A coach/personal trainer does not allow for full recovery between sets or exercises. This not only reduces the likelihood of training benefits but also subjects the athletes or clients to greater risk of injuries." "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development. Thus, it is important that you treat them as such and keep volume relatively low, movement quality and speeds very high, and utilize proper exercise progression at all times."

To say that plyos have no place in a conditioning class, I respectfully disagree.  I don't even understand the statement you quoted above "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development".  Isn't increasing power development a way to condition the body?

Secondly, I've already stated that we make a full recovery between sets so I'm not sure why you're citing that again.

I don't often like to cite Wikipedia, but the entry for plyometrics actually has a pretty good explanation that may clear up some of the confusion in this thread.  I've bolded a few key points:

Wikipedia re: Plyometric Exercise -

Since its introduction in the early 1980s, two forms of plyometrics have evolved. In the original version of plyometrics created by Russian scientist Yuri Verkhoshansky, it was defined as the shock method.[6][7] In this, the athlete would drop down from a height and experience a “shock” upon landing. This in turn would bring about a forced, involuntary eccentric contraction which was then immediately switched to a concentric contraction as the athlete jumped upward. The landing and takeoff were executed in an extremely short period of time, in the range of 0.1- 0.2 seconds. The shock method is the most effective method used by athletes to improve their speed, quickness and power after development of a strong strength base.[7]

Rather than using the term plyometrics to indicate exercises utilizing the shock method, it may be preferable to use the term explosive or true plyometrics which can be considered the same as the plyometrics originally created by Verkhoshansky.[3] The shock method that he created was the result of studying the actions that occur in running and jumping. He found that the landings and takeoffs in these two skills involved high ground reaction forces that were executed in an extremely quick and explosive manner. For example, time of execution of the landing and takeoff in jumping was close to 0.20 seconds and in sprinting it was approximately 0.10 seconds.[6]

Since one of the main objectives of the Soviet research was to develop practical methods of training to improve athletic performance, Verkhoshansky tackled the task of how these forces in explosive execution could be duplicated in an exercise. By doing exercises such as the depth jump, that he created, the athlete would enhance his ability in the takeoff and his resultant performance in the running or jumping event.[7] He experimented with many different exercises but the depth jump appeared to be the best for duplicating the forces in the landing and takeoff.

The second version of plyometrics, seen to a very great extent in the United States, relates to doing any and all forms of jumps regardless of execution time. Such jumps cannot be considered truly plyometric (as described by Verkhoshansky) since the intensity of execution is much less and the time required for transitioning from the eccentric to the concentric contraction is much greater. The term plyometrics became very popular with the publication of many books on the subject matter. It now appears impossible to go back to its original meaning and method of execution.

As a result, it is important to distinguish which type of “plyometric” exercise is used in order to determine its effectiveness and potential to receive the stated benefits. Understand that even though the name plyometrics is given to all jumps, not all jumps are plyometric.  

Ben and I are both referring to true plyometric exercises that utilize the Stretch-Shortening Cycle (SSC) via a very short amortization phase and relatively long recovery periods.  Noelle, you seem to be using the second version of the term defined above.  I've seen coaches and even some personal trainers use this second looser definition, but NSCA personal trainers and strength and conditioning coaches seem more inclined to use the stricter definition and differentiate this type of exercise from other types of jumping, and explosive conditioning exercise.

2013-11-14 7:45 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I voted year round because the class I teach which is a full body, core intensive drill based "bootcamp" style class includes several rounds of plyos.  I've been teaching it for about 10 years and I can tell you that it has definitely taken its toll on my joints--but it's also a big part of how I stay fiercely lean.  It's like the best friend/worst enemy.

The goal of my class like most other group fitness classes is overall improved general fitness and improving body composition.  For endurance athletes, it would be considered a cross training day.  While I do think it's helped me cardiovascularly because it's essentially zone training, I've never really thought of it as directly applicable to triathlon training.  The problem for me is that it zaps my strength and energy for a day and basically makes any s/b/r training I would do that day or the next into a lackluster session.

I do love them and love that feeling of a super concentrated quick burst of power.  But I think I'd be a faster triathlete without them (at least doing them once a week into tri training season).  I guess I don't care THAT much about being a still as average as I am now but slightly faster AG'er.

I may be misunderstanding you, but plyos are not conditioning drills. And you are "zapped" because it is zoo demanding on your nervous system.

Plyos most certainly can be conditioning drills and in my class that is how they are used.  Zapped because it's essentially a zone 4/5 workout.  It's similar to HIIT where the high intensity portion is the plyos.

See the link that Don posted and read mistake #3. I completely disagree with you and I think most strength and conditioning professionals will as well. The NSCA defines plyometrics as activities that enable a muscle to reach maximal force in the shortest possible time. This is done through quick and powerful movements through the use of the SSC. You cannot do these quick and powerful movements without proper rest in between each set. For example if I am going to have an athlete jump off a box to learn the mechanics of how to absorb force I might write a set that has 15 seconds between each jump and 3 minutes between each set. This is to properly rest. This goes back to my rest intervals that I mentioned previously in this post. Plyometric program design can be written similarly to power training. i.e. lots of rest is needed between sets.

Yes, we recover between sets.  Doesn't make the 75 minute workout any less intense or draining.

Heh, I don't know how to respond to this anymore, especially with your thoughts on how it can be considered conditioning. "Mistake #3 - Turning plyometrics into conditioning Example: A coach/personal trainer does not allow for full recovery between sets or exercises. This not only reduces the likelihood of training benefits but also subjects the athletes or clients to greater risk of injuries." "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development. Thus, it is important that you treat them as such and keep volume relatively low, movement quality and speeds very high, and utilize proper exercise progression at all times."

To say that plyos have no place in a conditioning class, I respectfully disagree.  I don't even understand the statement you quoted above "On this note, remember that plyometric exercises are not meant to be conditioning. They are exercises aimed at increasing power development".  Isn't increasing power development a way to condition the body?

Secondly, I've already stated that we make a full recovery between sets so I'm not sure why you're citing that again.

I don't often like to cite Wikipedia, but the entry for plyometrics actually has a pretty good explanation that may clear up some of the confusion in this thread.  I've bolded a few key points:

Wikipedia re: Plyometric Exercise -

Since its introduction in the early 1980s, two forms of plyometrics have evolved. In the original version of plyometrics created by Russian scientist Yuri Verkhoshansky, it was defined as the shock method.[6][7] In this, the athlete would drop down from a height and experience a “shock” upon landing. This in turn would bring about a forced, involuntary eccentric contraction which was then immediately switched to a concentric contraction as the athlete jumped upward. The landing and takeoff were executed in an extremely short period of time, in the range of 0.1- 0.2 seconds. The shock method is the most effective method used by athletes to improve their speed, quickness and power after development of a strong strength base.[7]

Rather than using the term plyometrics to indicate exercises utilizing the shock method, it may be preferable to use the term explosive or true plyometrics which can be considered the same as the plyometrics originally created by Verkhoshansky.[3] The shock method that he created was the result of studying the actions that occur in running and jumping. He found that the landings and takeoffs in these two skills involved high ground reaction forces that were executed in an extremely quick and explosive manner. For example, time of execution of the landing and takeoff in jumping was close to 0.20 seconds and in sprinting it was approximately 0.10 seconds.[6]

Since one of the main objectives of the Soviet research was to develop practical methods of training to improve athletic performance, Verkhoshansky tackled the task of how these forces in explosive execution could be duplicated in an exercise. By doing exercises such as the depth jump, that he created, the athlete would enhance his ability in the takeoff and his resultant performance in the running or jumping event.[7] He experimented with many different exercises but the depth jump appeared to be the best for duplicating the forces in the landing and takeoff.

The second version of plyometrics, seen to a very great extent in the United States, relates to doing any and all forms of jumps regardless of execution time. Such jumps cannot be considered truly plyometric (as described by Verkhoshansky) since the intensity of execution is much less and the time required for transitioning from the eccentric to the concentric contraction is much greater. The term plyometrics became very popular with the publication of many books on the subject matter. It now appears impossible to go back to its original meaning and method of execution.

As a result, it is important to distinguish which type of “plyometric” exercise is used in order to determine its effectiveness and potential to receive the stated benefits. Understand that even though the name plyometrics is given to all jumps, not all jumps are plyometric.  

Ben and I are both referring to true plyometric exercises that utilize the Stretch-Shortening Cycle (SSC) via a very short amortization phase and relatively long recovery periods.  Noelle, you seem to be using the second version of the term defined above.  I've seen coaches and even some personal trainers use this second looser definition, but NSCA personal trainers and strength and conditioning coaches seem more inclined to use the stricter definition and differentiate this type of exercise from other types of jumping, and explosive conditioning exercise.

Thanks Don :) Wikipedia to the rescue!

I also just noticed that I had a very unfortunate typo in my post above (ugh, autocorrect).  Shane, I'm sorry about that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plyometrics Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Winter bike workouts/Plyometrics

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 942 Posts: 9

2010-05-12 12:18 PM noelle1230

Kids and Plyometrics

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1009 Posts: 3

2009-11-09 7:29 AM chunta

plyometrics

Started by newbie13
Views: 1435 Posts: 9

2008-01-20 5:48 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Plyometrics anyone?

Started by HotRod
Views: 765 Posts: 12

2007-05-03 11:15 AM BobbyD

Plyometrics

Started by Irongirl
Views: 928 Posts: 2

2004-03-08 1:28 PM haris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
comments : 0
In this segment, Coach Al speaks of three daily running objectives. Included are videos of various warmup exercises to increase your hip mobility.

date : June 11, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Plyometric drills and exercises excite the elastic component of the muscles so that the muscles are trained to react powerfully and explosively.