General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rappstar 2nd overall!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Rappstar 2nd overall!!

Originally posted by fgump Sorry to create a $#%^storm here guys. I am a Facebook friend of Jordan's and wrongly assumed he was a more common personality. I mentioned Del Corral only because he had a killer IMFL. I followed Jordan's day at Kona, have been following his career a few years, and enjoy his perspective and athlete/dad balance. Again, sorry to stir up a storm. Back to your regular programming.

Yeah, unfortunately if you want a more famous triathlete at this point you have to use Hines Ward. LMAO

2013-11-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by JZig
Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by fgump
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by JZig Did you meant to post this on ST?

took the words right out of my mouth

I don't visit ST so I guess I don't know what the irony is here. Please explain.
I visit ST and I don't get the irony either. Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America. He does a ton for charity. He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast. He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.
He regularly posts at ST, and is also a moderator there. To my knowledge he has never posted here. Someone who isn't aware of ST probably has no idea who Rappstar is, or why a 2nd place finish at a random IM event warrants its own thread.

I'm not sure this is even worthy of a retort

You're right. I should probably just lose 20lbs and run more.

I know I should.

Seriously though, if anyone wants to point to the decline of BT then look no further than here.  Arguably the 2nd best US pro triathlete who sets a new bike course record competing against someone that just crushed it at IMFL followed up by helmet-gate and you dismiss it as some dude from ST that nobody cares about at a race that doesn't matter.  Talk about contributing absolutely nothing to a thread, even less than my snarky non-retort.  Oddly enough your reply is more reminiscent of something one would find on ST than even the OP's title.  

2013-11-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro

I don't visit ST so I guess I don't know what the irony is here. Please explain.
I visit ST and I don't get the irony either. Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America. He does a ton for charity. He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast. He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.
He regularly posts at ST, and is also a moderator there. To my knowledge he has never posted here. Someone who isn't aware of ST probably has no idea who Rappstar is, or why a 2nd place finish at a random IM event warrants its own thread.

I know I should.

Seriously though, if anyone wants to point to the decline of BT then look no further than here.  Arguably the 2nd best US pro triathlete who sets a new bike course record competing against someone that just crushed it at IMFL followed up by helmet-gate and you dismiss it as some dude from ST that nobody cares about at a race that doesn't matter.  Talk about contributing absolutely nothing to a thread, even less than my snarky non-retort.  Oddly enough your reply is more reminiscent of something one would find on ST than even the OP's title.  

Exactly.................see above.

2013-11-18 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

I know I should.

Really? because I see you post that exact thing on almost every running thread someone starts.

More to the point of the actual thread. I never dismissed Rapp's accomplishment, I never meant to suggest that we all couldn't learn many things from him, and I never meant to say that we shouldn't be talking about it on BT.

What I DID mean to suggest is that posting some RAPPSTAR 2nd place@!!!!! with little to no followup probably means nothing to 98% of the people visiting this site. Interestingly, the corresponding thread on ST has a much more productive conversation going on in it. I suppose I am partly to blame for that so I apologize for any distraction from what anyone may have learned from this thread.

Never underestimate the power of the internet to blow things massively out of proportion, I suppose. I'm still surprised people are getting worked up over one little comment.

2013-11-18 6:08 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I know I should.

Really? because I see you post that exact thing on almost every running thread someone starts. More to the point of the actual thread. I never dismissed Rapp's accomplishment, I never meant to suggest that we all couldn't learn many things from him, and I never meant to say that we shouldn't be talking about it on BT. What I DID mean to suggest is that posting some RAPPSTAR 2nd place@!!!!! with little to no followup probably means nothing to 98% of the people visiting this site. Interestingly, the corresponding thread on ST has a much more productive conversation going on in it. I suppose I am partly to blame for that so I apologize for any distraction from what anyone may have learned from this thread. Never underestimate the power of the internet to blow things massively out of proportion, I suppose. I'm still surprised people are getting worked up over one little comment.

Because it's actually relevant to almost every running thread that is started, just like "run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast" or "10% rule".  Unlike the others though it's often one of the easiest things to control yet most overlooked.  Unfortunately it's also one of those things that isn't PC to go saying so the people that actually do say it get knocked for it.  

Regardless, that's moving this thread in the wrong direction.  Everyone else has done a more eloquent job stating why this thread has merit than I can so I will just leave it at that.  

2013-11-18 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I'll submit my reply to the overall direction the thread has taken, despite the OP intentions for the thread.

I thought it was a very odd and random thread title - pointing out a second place on one out of 26 (give or take) Ironman branded races, (not to say the performance given by Rapp was discussion worthy). What!? No second place thread for Starykowicz in Florida two weeks ago? Whatever. To each there own. Discuss away.

I think the initial Slowtwitch reference was made innocently enough. For those who may not be familiar or frequent Slowtwitch (ST) it is not uncommon to see threads pop up over there referencing Jordan's most recent race performances since he is an employee of ST. It would be similar to thread posting here on BT congratulating the Bear or Yanti or whoever. So I understand the initial comment.

What I don't get, generally speaking, is that a tongue in cheek comment can't just be let go, even after one or two users gives it the inevitable attention. Instead it has to be pointed out, discussed, and derail a thread.

2013-11-19 7:21 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Barkeep 

What I don't get, generally speaking, is that a tongue in cheek comment can't just be let go, even after one or two users gives it the inevitable attention. Instead it has to be pointed out, discussed, and derail a thread.

This is the part that gets me, too.  I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.  But it has made the thread interesting.

2013-11-19 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
It's like a train wreck, you just can't look away....

Never been on ST? But still knew what the thread was about! It's a shame the ops comment did not lead into a discussion on the actual race instead of a bash fest that it turned into.

this could of been an interesting thread, instead I will take the suggestion above and just read race reports an stay out of TT since the majority of this is turning into useless babble
2013-11-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I really want an Evade helmet... I don't think I'd ever wear it, but I really like it.

I also want a McLaren though... but I guess it isn't legal around these parts yet...

Go Rapp
2013-11-19 10:41 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
You have to be carefull with the legalities of the helmets, you also have to make sure the legal sticker is on the inside of the helmet! I had a race last year where the officials were checking helmets for the sticker and if it was not there you could not use the helmet! Needless to say I spent 45 minutes on race morning finding a legal helmet so I could race! One guy had an expensive aero helmet but wound up using a walmart cheapy because his did not have the sticker!

but if you can run a 2:43 marathon, I'm sure you have the helmet issue covered! That is just smokng fast coming off the bike. Does anyone know what the fastest marathon time in a ironman is?
2013-11-19 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: new title: Really nice guy who works hard in Ironman finished in 2nd overall at IMAZ
Sorry gang, I really didn't know I would stir up such a mess. My intentions were purely honorable. I did not see any mention in the forum about the race. I was amazed at Jordan's bike split, and then even more impressed with Victor's run. It's been interesting to see Victor's rise and Jordan's improvement this season.

I guess I should go see what the norm is on Slowtwitch so I can avoid that type of posting. I've been a poster here on BT for as long as I can remember and can't recall anyone getting tweaked at ANYthing I've posted, so I must've crossed a line somehow. I'll be sure to make tonight's run a little harder as penalty.

2013-11-19 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mambos You have to be carefull with the legalities of the helmets, you also have to make sure the legal sticker is on the inside of the helmet! I had a race last year where the officials were checking helmets for the sticker and if it was not there you could not use the helmet! Needless to say I spent 45 minutes on race morning finding a legal helmet so I could race! One guy had an expensive aero helmet but wound up using a walmart cheapy because his did not have the sticker! but if you can run a 2:43 marathon, I'm sure you have the helmet issue covered! That is just smokng fast coming off the bike. Does anyone know what the fastest marathon time in a ironman is?

Since Del Corral's helmet was a hotly debated topic after IMFL and by most accounts he wore the same helmet for IMAZ, I guess this is germane...

Making sure you have a legal helmet shouldn't be difficult.  Here is the USAT rule:

5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).  Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

I've bolded the only part you need to know to ensure compliance.  By law, any helmet sold by a retailer in the USA must be CPSC approved and contain the appropriate sticker, so any helmet purchased at your LBS or through a legitimate US company online will comply.  Then it's just a matter of making sure the sticker is securely attached and doesn't fall off.

Where you need to be careful is if you buy your helmet overseas or second hand online, because you can't be certain where they originated.

And, just because someone can run 2:40 off the bike doesn't mean they have the helmet issue covered.  Just look at all the post-IMFL debate regarding Del Corral's helmet.  There are a lot of fast people who are far from experts on the rules.

2013-11-19 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: new title: Really nice guy who works hard in Ironman finished in 2nd overall at IMAZ

Originally posted by fgump Sorry gang, I really didn't know I would stir up such a mess. My intentions were purely honorable. I did not see any mention in the forum about the race. I was amazed at Jordan's bike split, and then even more impressed with Victor's run. It's been interesting to see Victor's rise and Jordan's improvement this season. I guess I should go see what the norm is on Slowtwitch so I can avoid that type of posting. I've been a poster here on BT for as long as I can remember and can't recall anyone getting tweaked at ANYthing I've posted, so I must've crossed a line somehow. I'll be sure to make tonight's run a little harder as penalty.

Eh, don't sweat it.  Even though the thread title is a little off kilter for this site and you didn't say much in the OP, IMO people should get over it, and just discuss the interesting facts about the race.

2013-11-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: new title: Really nice guy who works hard in Ironman finished in 2nd overall at IMAZ

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by fgump Sorry gang, I really didn't know I would stir up such a mess. My intentions were purely honorable. I did not see any mention in the forum about the race. I was amazed at Jordan's bike split, and then even more impressed with Victor's run. It's been interesting to see Victor's rise and Jordan's improvement this season. I guess I should go see what the norm is on Slowtwitch so I can avoid that type of posting. I've been a poster here on BT for as long as I can remember and can't recall anyone getting tweaked at ANYthing I've posted, so I must've crossed a line somehow. I'll be sure to make tonight's run a little harder as penalty.

Eh, don't sweat it.  Even though the thread title is a little off kilter for this site and you didn't say much in the OP, IMO people should get over it, and just discuss the interesting facts about the race.

Ditto.  But, then, here we are. 

2013-11-19 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I got to have dinner last night with one of the pros and he had an interesting take on Jordan's demise.  I'm paraphrasing here but what I took out of it was that Jordan most likely rode too hard on the back half to drop him and build a gap because he's a better runner than what he posted.  If he had just maintained he probably would have been able to put up a strong enough run to keep Victor behind him and seal the win.  

2013-11-19 1:08 PM

User image

Pro

I got to have dinner last night with one of the pros and he had an interesting take on Jordan's demise.  I'm paraphrasing here but what I took out of it was that Jordan most likely rode too hard on the back half to drop him and build a gap because he's a better runner than what he posted.  If he had just maintained he probably would have been able to put up a strong enough run to keep Victor behind him and seal the win.  

Are you talking about Hines Ward again?  I don't think he posts on ST.

2013-11-19 1:10 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by mambos You have to be carefull with the legalities of the helmets, you also have to make sure the legal sticker is on the inside of the helmet! I had a race last year where the officials were checking helmets for the sticker and if it was not there you could not use the helmet! Needless to say I spent 45 minutes on race morning finding a legal helmet so I could race! One guy had an expensive aero helmet but wound up using a walmart cheapy because his did not have the sticker! but if you can run a 2:43 marathon, I'm sure you have the helmet issue covered! That is just smokng fast coming off the bike. Does anyone know what the fastest marathon time in a ironman is?

Since Del Corral's helmet was a hotly debated topic after IMFL and by most accounts he wore the same helmet for IMAZ, I guess this is germane...

Definitely relevant, just wanted to add that while the initial accounts thought it might be the same helmet, the one used in Arizona was later found to be ok. After everyone settled down some and saw better pictures of it the thought changed to it being the legal Kask Bambino that had been done up in a scheme very similar to the Ekoi worn in Florida.

2013-11-19 1:39 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Maybe.  But my guess is it would be hard to be confident in that with a guy behind you who just ran a 2:37 and closed an 18min gap on the run two weeks ago.  One school of thought (at the pointy end, at least) is to "race your strength".  And Jordan's is the bike.

2013-11-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Maybe.  But my guess is it would be hard to be confident in that with a guy behind you who just ran a 2:37 and closed an 18min gap on the run two weeks ago.  One school of thought (at the pointy end, at least) is to "race your strength".  And Jordan's is the bike.

Yeah, I'd like to see Jordan's stand alone marathon time.  He may have no choice but to go for broke with that monster chasing him down.

ETA: Rapp went 4:25 and then 2:46 on bike and run in winning Texas last year.......last week he went 4:14 and then 2:54.   The guy throwing down 2:37 and then 2:43 a few weeks later is going to be a handful no matter what.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-19 2:09 PM
2013-11-19 3:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure where or how to interject in this thread... Anyways, I raced on Sunday and had the pleasure of watching Rapp blast by me on his final loop of the bike leg. It was on the climb towards Shea which everyone classifies as a gentle climb but I think it's more severe. He was climbing this stretch at about 20MPH which is incredible and like someone already said, probably hurt his run. He looked very tired but that may be how he always looks out there (or it could have been due to the effort he was putting in during that stretch). The chances are slim that you climb that section three different times in that fashion and have enough in the tank for a strong run. A random observation when he went by - After he passed me, Rapp bent over and looked under his armpit to see if any pros were behind him. Just shows how important staying in aero is to those guys. 99.9% of us sit up and look over our shoulder.

Rapp is a great ambassador of the sport and one has to dig deep to find anything bad to say about him. He gave a great speech at the Welcome Dinner on Friday night and I also enjoy reading his posts on ST. He's incredibly smart and we can all learn from him. Just my $.02
2013-11-19 3:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-11-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Fred D

Rapp is a great ambassador of the sport and one has to dig deep to find anything bad to say about him. He gave a great speech at the Welcome Dinner on Friday night and I also enjoy reading his posts on ST. He's incredibly smart and we can all learn from him. Just my $.02

I agree with this.

I will also submit that I am disappointed in the aftermath of the IMAZ race with the protest over the helmet. *I* think we are witnessing the evolution of one of the next GREAT ironman triathletes in Del Corral. I'm a fan after this last race for sure.

I will grant that the rules at WTC are strange, relying on the athlete to file the protest, and in his defense he was exhausted after an incredible performance, so I really doubt anyone will really hold this over on him.

I just feel this was a 'rain on Victor's parade' and was disappointed. Most will likely disagree with me as Jordan is viewed as near God by many on ST and this site.

Truthfully I was much more disappointed by what Slowman was spreading about rumors regarding the sticker placed 'illegally' or was implied by his posts. Slowman, unlike Jordan had not been in the heat of the battle and that stuff was uncalled for.

Jordan = great ambassador. I still feel this, however this was not his finest 'ambassadorial' moment in my most useless of opinions. Again, he was exhausted and just finished an IM, so no real issues long term.

I do ask those that strongly disagree with me here to ask themselves how they would have PERSONALLY felt if one of the most media savvy, highest ST presence triathletes in the world called you out for in essence cheating, after winning an IM.

I suspect I would be pizzed off. I truly believe I'm not alone in feeling some empathy for Del Corral.

Anyway, I'm out, so flame away.

Totally agree.  Integrity for the rules or not, the complaint struck me as a good ol fashioned ST witch hunt.  Dan's actions were even worse.

2013-11-19 3:43 PM

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I agree with this.

I will also submit that I am disappointed in the aftermath of the IMAZ race with the protest over the helmet. *I* think we are witnessing the evolution of one of the next GREAT ironman triathletes in Del Corral. I'm a fan after this last race for sure.

I will grant that the rules at WTC are strange, relying on the athlete to file the protest, and in his defense he was exhausted after an incredible performance, so I really doubt anyone will really hold this over on him.

I just feel this was a 'rain on Victor's parade' and was disappointed. Most will likely disagree with me as Jordan is viewed as near God by many on ST and this site.

Truthfully I was much more disappointed by what Slowman was spreading about rumors regarding the sticker placed 'illegally' or was implied by his posts. Slowman, unlike Jordan had not been in the heat of the battle and that stuff was uncalled for.

Jordan = great ambassador. I still feel this, however this was not his finest 'ambassadorial' moment in my most useless of opinions. Again, he was exhausted and just finished an IM, so no real issues long term.

I do ask those that strongly disagree with me here to ask themselves how they would have PERSONALLY felt if one of the most media savvy, highest ST presence triathletes in the world called you out for in essence cheating, after winning an IM.

I suspect I would be pizzed off. I truly believe I'm not alone in feeling some empathy for Del Corral.

I don't strongly disagree with you, but would submit that the other side of the coin is what would one do if the issue came up at Florida, and then two weeks later, the racer apparently repeats the same infraction. One might feel like the individual was giving the finger to the rules. But, I think more importantly, since I do agree with your point too, is that it high lights a need for a rules change. Reciprocity of some sort is in order.
2013-11-19 3:58 PM

Pro

I agree with this.

Meh.....protests are a staple at the highest level of any form of racing.  I have no idea if Del Corral was "pizzed off" or not, but I doubt it....especially since he knew he didn't cheat.  It's really hard to be "pizzed off" when you win.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rappstar 2nd overall!! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

BT's very own places 2nd overall in Chicago Tri run

Started by TriAya
Views: 1293 Posts: 11

2010-09-01 8:47 PM stuy119

27:42 gets me overall 2nd in a 5k

Started by stretchdew
Views: 943 Posts: 4

2008-04-13 9:46 PM Artemis