General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rappstar 2nd overall!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-18 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Rappstar 2nd overall!!
Wish I could've seen it during the race. Looks like he had a great day. Del Corral's run was just blistering.

2013-11-18 10:05 AM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Rappstar 2nd overall!!
Did you meant to post this on ST?
2013-11-18 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I was there along the last 20 yards watching the pros come in.  Jordan clearly left it all on the course, and you can see on the live blog he had to lie down just past the line.

2013-11-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by JZig Did you meant to post this on ST?

took the words right out of my mouth

2013-11-18 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

You know yesterday evening when I got back from the race I couldn't believe there was no thread here for it.  I didn't think Del Corral could put another ridiculous run together considering he just crushed it at IMFL two weeks ago!  Stellar performance.  Also have to give it up for Pedro Gomes after putting up a 5th at IMFL and repeating it again with a 5th at AZ.  I had the pleasure of hosting him for the last two weeks and he's a super cool dude.  These guys are going to be awesome to watch next year and the upcoming years.  

2013-11-18 10:58 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by thebigb

You know yesterday evening when I got back from the race I couldn't believe there was no thread here for it.  I didn't think Del Corral could put another ridiculous run together considering he just crushed it at IMFL two weeks ago!  Stellar performance.  Also have to give it up for Pedro Gomes after putting up a 5th at IMFL and repeating it again with a 5th at AZ.  I had the pleasure of hosting him for the last two weeks and he's a super cool dude.  These guys are going to be awesome to watch next year and the upcoming years.  

It's all about the bike helmet.

2013-11-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

It's all about the bike helmet.

Yeah I laugh at the fact he runs a 2:37 and backs it up with a 2:43 15 days later and all people talk about is his helmet.
2013-11-18 11:38 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by dmiller5

I don't visit ST so I guess I don't know what the irony is here. Please explain.
2013-11-18 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by fgump

I don't visit ST so I guess I don't know what the irony is here. Please explain.

I visit ST and I don't get the irony either.

Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America.
He does a ton for charity.
He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast.

He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.
2013-11-18 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by marcag

I visit ST and I don't get the irony either.

Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America.
He does a ton for charity.
He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast.

He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.

He regularly posts at ST, and is also a moderator there. To my knowledge he has never posted here. Someone who isn't aware of ST probably has no idea who Rappstar is, or why a 2nd place finish at a random IM event warrants its own thread.

Edited by JZig 2013-11-18 1:32 PM
2013-11-18 1:44 PM

User image

I think the irony lies in the fact that the title of the thread uses Jordan Rapp's ST handle and not his real name. Granted, Jordan does use that handle for more than ST.

Great race by him. New bike course record if what I read elsewhere was true. Got to meet him at Kona and he's a super nice guy.

2013-11-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by Jason N

I think the irony lies in the fact that the title of the thread uses Jordan Rapp's ST handle and not his real name. Granted, Jordan does use that handle for more than ST.

Great race by him. New bike course record if what I read elsewhere was true. Got to meet him at Kona and he's a super nice guy.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't think he ran a great race, or isn't a great guy. By all accounts Rapp is a super dude.
2013-11-18 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Jason N I think the irony lies in the fact that the title of the thread uses Jordan Rapp's ST handle and not his real name. Granted, Jordan does use that handle for more than ST. Great race by him. New bike course record if what I read elsewhere was true. Got to meet him at Kona and he's a super nice guy.

yes he set a bike course record even with the zipper string flapping in the wind

2013-11-18 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

Jordan is one of a kind. I met him in Bend the day after he won Leadman and more then anything else he was more interested in being a dad then an athlete speaking. He is very articulate in his words and does a phenomenal job and giving great perspective on many topics and will even note when he uses his bias. Listen to any of his victory speeches, or race reports, you can tell he is from an ivy league school just in his speaking.

A good friend of mine (Thomas Gerlach) reminds me of Jordan Rapp. Pays attention to every minute detail about each race. Thomas told me about he studied flows in current of the Ohio River the day before IMLou this year, Jordan gives the exact same, if not, better attention to detail. Jordan shows just how much he puts into his development outside of just SBR.

One of my favorite stories (which is on competitor radio) is about his first IM in Canada back in 2008. He decided to sign up 4 days out, then Paula Newby Fraser told him not to make a fool of himself in the race. He went out to crash out of T1, then cruise into 4th place in his first IM on no IM specific training. First signs star was in the making.
2013-11-18 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by JZig

I visit ST and I don't get the irony either. Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America. He does a ton for charity. He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast. He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.
He regularly posts at ST, and is also a moderator there. To my knowledge he has never posted here. Someone who isn't aware of ST probably has no idea who Rappstar is, or why a 2nd place finish at a random IM event warrants its own thread.

I'm not sure this is even worthy of a retort

2013-11-18 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

I visit ST and I don't get the irony either. Jordan is a good guy, one of the top IM athletes in North America. He does a ton for charity. He represents the pros when dealing with WTC and very helpful to all amateur athletes, slow and fast. He happens to work (part time I believe) for ST, so yes, he has a tendency to be there more than here.

You're right. I should probably just lose 20lbs and run more.

2013-11-18 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Didn't we just have a long thread on the decline of BT with one of the points being less traffic / content / interesting discussions in Triathlon Talk? 

If not enough BT members know about pro triathletes, then I think the solution is to talk about them more right here on Triathlon Talk.  And I can't imagine a better pro to learn more about than Jordan Rapp. 

So discussing Rapp's performance here at IMAZ yesterday is entirely valid and may be interesting to others if not you JZig.  And if not interesting to you, vote with your feet and read some other thread.  You do not need to try to shut it down or continue to justify why it's a poor choice of content for BT.

2013-11-18 2:57 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I know who Rapp is, but the OP uses his ST handle and doesn't even discuss what the race was.  I actually don't know who Del Corral is since I haven't been following the pros much anymore (clearly since he just posted back-back wins, I see).  Honestly, I forgot IMAZ was even happening yesterday.  I'm sure there are many BTers who have absolutely no idea who Rappstar is or what this thread was even referring to when it was first posted.  It's an odd post to see on BT--not 'ironic' or wrong, just odd/unusual.  It might have been less so if the post had started with more discussion about his performance and what was interesting about it.  I think that's the only point a couple people were making (people who knew what it was referring to).  I don't think anyone's suggesting they should refrain from discussing a pro who happens to be affiliated with ST.  Anyway...

Congrats to Rapp on a great race!  And Del Corral for two of them!

2013-11-18 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Did you meant to post this on ST?

What is ST?.....Never mind just figured it out. Sometimes I crash like that....at some level my instinct is to rely on the genius of others.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-11-18 3:11 PM
2013-11-18 3:10 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by FranzZemen
What is ST?

Another triathlon site called Slowtwitch

2013-11-18 3:36 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jason N I think the irony lies in the fact that the title of the thread uses Jordan Rapp's ST handle and not his real name. Granted, Jordan does use that handle for more than ST.

Like Twitter

And his blog.

Edited by lisac957 2013-11-18 3:36 PM

2013-11-18 3:38 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Sorry to create a $#%^storm here guys. I am a Facebook friend of Jordan's and wrongly assumed he was a more common personality. I mentioned Del Corral only because he had a killer IMFL. I followed Jordan's day at Kona, have been following his career a few years, and enjoy his perspective and athlete/dad balance. Again, sorry to stir up a storm. Back to your regular programming.
2013-11-18 3:46 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by brucemorgan

If not enough BT members know about pro triathletes, then I think the solution is to talk about them more right here on Triathlon Talk.  And I can't imagine a better pro to learn more about than Jordan Rapp. 

So discussing Rapp's performance here at IMAZ yesterday is entirely valid and may be interesting to others if not you JZig.  And if not interesting to you, vote with your feet and read some other thread.  You do not need to try to shut it down or continue to justify why it's a poor choice of content for BT.

Excellent points here...and I think what is even more pertinent to the crowd here at BT are the age group stars, and every finisher. Everyone needs a model to learn from and depending on where you are in your devlopement, knowing that Jordan Rapp studies the currents of the Ohio River may either help you realize that there is a lot more to swimming than just technique...yet at the same time, if your technique is to pot then worrying about currents and eddy's is probabaly not where you need to spend energy right now.

There are probabaly plenty of BTers who actually raced here yesterday and I think a great opportunity for learning is in reading their race reports or hearing something about them that helped them tweak their plan and improve. Learning from pros is great, but doing what pros do can sometimes backfire.

Congratulations to all the finishers , and all the winners of yesterday's race.
2013-11-18 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Sorry to create a $#%^storm here guys. I am a Facebook friend of Jordan's and wrongly assumed he was a more common personality. I mentioned Del Corral only because he had a killer IMFL. I followed Jordan's day at Kona, have been following his career a few years, and enjoy his perspective and athlete/dad balance. Again, sorry to stir up a storm. Back to your regular programming.

No need to apologize. It was a great race. Rapp has done some wonderful things not to mention coming back from a near fatal hit and run accident. I don't care what you call him. Great race.
2013-11-18 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No apologizing to do. you did not create a "$#%^storm"
Jordan is a very popular pro, known by many on both sites
The reason he is popular is that he is the most accessible+successful pro out there.
You will not find one athlete of his pedigree that is so accessible to average joe.
If someone things it's innappropriate to talk about his exploit, I'd be interested to know why
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rappstar 2nd overall!! Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

BT's very own places 2nd overall in Chicago Tri run

Started by TriAya
Views: 1292 Posts: 11

2010-09-01 8:47 PM stuy119

27:42 gets me overall 2nd in a 5k

Started by stretchdew
Views: 942 Posts: 4

2008-04-13 9:46 PM Artemis