BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2013-12-18 10:38 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED

Slornow/Randy....as in "slower now" than I used to be.-this will be a group that I will co-mentor with Wannabefaster/Jason. I will be the older/slower mentor and Jason will be the younger/faster mentor! This will be our third mentor group together. The last two groups were great with lots of active members. We hope for the same this time.

We are available to start immediately!

Story: Turned 51 this year and completed my 4th full season of doing triathlon's. Have always participated in sports. Played tennis competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. After that I continued to workout but was more focused on weights, playing basketball and some running. Decided to give traithlon a go after having continuing injuries with running. Fortunately, I have progressed steadily over the last 4 years and have become more serious about the sport. Bike and run are my strong suit and the swim is a constant challenge! I have done everything from sprints to HIM but have been more focused on sprint/olympic distance over the last 2 years. I live in South Alabama, near Fairhope, just across the Bay from Mobile.

Family: Married for 23 years to my very tolerant wife. I have a son 20 that is a sophmore in college. He runs cross country and track at the University of Alabama. I also have a daughter 18 that is freshman in college. She is a casual runner.

Training: Depending on the time of year I probably average 9-12 hours a week. Right now I'm in a swim and run focus but continuing to bike 2-3 times a week. I'll be in my second year with my current coach and he keeps me working hard.

2014-I'll likely do all short course (sprint/olympic) races with maybe an early or late season half IM thrown in My "A" races will be USAT AG Nationals in August and tentatively AG World Championships in Edmonton, Canada in late August.  I have to re-qualify for my tri team every year so that means I usually do alot of racing. 

2013 Season: Lots of racing. 2 HIM; 2 Olympic and 7 Sprints. It was a great year. Met and exceeded my goals.  Racing with the www.gulfcoasttriteam.com again this year and having a great time!

Weightloss: Fortuantely not a big issue for me but I am terrible about snacking after dinner on ice cream, cookies, candy...whatever I can find. Need some help there.

What will make me a good mentor?: I was a mentee in several strong groups led by some really sharp BT members. I have co-mentored groups with Jason over the last year or two and we had some great members and wonderful discussions. Some of the members of the group made amazing progress and it was great to follow along. I log all of my training here on BT and check in on the site more than I should admit. I like to see both the new and more experienced members work hard toward their goals and have success. Jason, my co-mentor, is a great guy with a strong training ethic who has taken his racing to a new level over the last two years. Hopefully, between the 2 of us we can provide support and good advice and get the same back from the group.  We had a very active group in 2013 and are looking for another group of active engaged triathletes. All levels welcome!

Edited by slornow 2013-12-23 3:18 PM

2013-12-18 12:26 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3
Name: Jason/Wannabefaster. I will be co-mentoring this Group with Randy/Slornow. This will be our third time running a mentor group together. Randy says that I am the younger, faster mentor...... Younger, maybe. Faster, that is up for debate. Randy is smoking fast and only getting faster. He is a really good guy as well with a wealth of information about Triathlon training and life.

Available: Right now. Let's get started.

Story: 42/43 year old triathlete in my sixth/seventh season of Triathlon. I always worked out but some guys at work convinced me to do my first sprint triathlon and I have been hooked ever since. I have slowly worked my way up the distances and have done three Iron distance races with a fourth one on my schedule to finish up 2014. I will race every distance from sprint to IM over the course of the year. I have a much more full race schedule than in the past, planning ten triathlons from May to November. I am a mediocre(but improving) swimmer, slightly better than mediocre cyclist but a reasonably good runner.

Family: Married to a fabulously supportive wife and have two kids, 16 and 11. I work full time as a physician so I can definitely relate to being overscheduled and the trials and tribulations of fitting an active life style in to a very busy schedule.

Training: In 2011 I took the major step of hiring a coach. Little did I know what I was in for. My coach is hard-core and writes me a very aggressive training schedule. I usually get in two workouts a day, one in the early hours of the morning and one later in the day. Scheduling is always an issue. I have just given up on sleeping......

2012: Raced a bunch of different races with the culmination of the season being IMAZ which I finished in 10:18. Thought I might have been able to go sub-10 but didn't have it in me.

2013: Was a pretty light racing season for me. Wrapped up the year with IM Tahoe in September which was the hardest athletic event I have ever done. It was hard!

Weight loss: You can never be too rich or too thin...... Really, I am doing OK on this front.

What will make me a good mentor: I love triathlon. I have gathered a wealth of information and I really enjoy spending time on this site and helping people get better at their athletic endeavors. Randy and I had a great group in the last two times and I am looking forward to having a lot of the old folks back and to a bunch of new folks as well. We had a very active group that covered a lot of topics (no question is too basic or too complex) and I see no reason that this will change. Everyone from beginner to experienced is welcome.
2013-12-21 6:32 PM

, Georgia
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-OPEN
Hi Randy and Jason!

My name is Bryan and I would be interested in joining this group.

As far as my background goes, I found out about triathlons two years ago indirectly through a friend who ran a sprint. I didn't think much of it at the time, but one of my good friends that I knew for about 5 years at that time got obsessed with cycling and jumped on board that train six months later. She was followed by a mutual friend of ours who started running, but was sidelined for six months due to a meniscus tear two months into her prep for a 5k. I had been working out some previously through a gym and such, but felt like I was just going through the motions. I was never a guy seeking to have the biggest muscles of the group, so between that and the lack of purpose in the endurance building machines, there was nothing to keep me motivated. When I transferred to another college in Fall 2012, the membership got canned since it’s only purpose was to fulfill a class requirement the previous semester; no sense in wasting money on something that serves no purpose.

During that time, I began walking quite a bit as it was my only means of transportation from point A to point B (besides taking the shuttles which ran 5 days a week on campus). Over time, started taking notice of my cycling and running friends and began research triathlons, but held back out of uncertainty. Would end up staying my hand for over 18 months on the matter (not one of my smarter decisions).

Finally, just a little over a month ago, I bit the bullet and jumped in head first. Since then, I've lost nine pounds (possibly more) off the couch and look forward to dumping off all the excess weight. In addition, there is a challenge with triathlon that is unmatched with anything else I've done. The beauty with endurance races is that you can climb latter continuously and/or work for better times. It is the challenge that never ends, and that is something that is really needed to keep me motivated. I just need to get off those blasted upright bike trainers and I'll be golden! :D

Short term goals for 2014 are simple since I'm getting into it right at the new year: Climb up the running ranks from a 5k in March, a 10 k in the late summer, and a half-marathon in November. The training schedule will stay way ahead of the racing schedule, so having a 6 mile run followed up by a 13 mile run 3-4 months later shouldn't be an issue. In addition, I’d like to run a sprint triathlon in September and (maybe?) do a half century before year’s end.

Long term goals: Marathon on foot, Century on the bike. Half-Ironman in triathlon. Once achieved, I plan on trimming the clock down on those events and the ones below them.

As far as equipment goes, all I have right now is a pair of Nike running shoes. However, I will be picking up a bike next week and currently looking at the 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.3C (will purchase if the bike fits well) . I will be stuck with whatever I get for a while, so I think it’s best to get the best quality I can while staying inside the budget. I'm holding off on swimming until May when it gets warmer and pools open up; it should give more than enough time to establish the run and bike parts.

Lastly, I'm about as green as it gets, so getting in with those having experience is always great.
2013-12-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Bryan-great to have you in the group. Progress comes quickly with consistency. Sounds like you are well on your way. Great news on the bike. No need to dive in with all the expensive toys in the beginning. Just getting out there and training consistently is the way to go at this point.

2013-12-21 6:52 PM

, Georgia
Indeed. However, it would be great if it would stop raining every 3-4 days.

Seems like it's always raining on my run days.
2013-12-21 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Hi Randy and Jason,

I'd like to join your group, if possible -- thanks!

Name: Steve/sdswriter

Story: I'm 51 and live in Morgan Hill, CA (San Francisco Bay Area -- about 20 miles south of Silicon Valley).  This will be my 4th season doing triathlons. I started running in January, 2009 after my weight ballooned to more than 215 lbs. By May, 2009, I'd dropped 40 lbs. I started training for triathlon in January, 2011 and completed my first sprint triathlon a few months later. I've been hooked ever since. I'm still not very fast. I've done mostly sprint and Oly triathlons, and several duathlons. This year, I'm planning on doing my first half-ironman distance tri. One of my nieces competes for the UC Berkeley Triathlon Club. We're doing some triathlons together in the spring -- I'm really looking forward to that...

Family: My girlfriend and I have lived together for 14 years. We are caretakers of our cat, Sophia. We live in a house near a lake surrounded by hills, oak trees, and sunshine. There's a nice Olympic-size pool in our town, and miles and miles of open roads for cycling. There are also plenty of hiking/running trails nearby.

Training: I average about 10-12 hours a week, but I'll be ramping up to 13-15 hrs as I prepare for an HIM in June. This will be my first season using a coach. I really needed some structure to my training plan -- no more winging it... (!)

Weight loss/gain: This is an issue for me. I weigh about 176-178 lbs, and have been trying to get under 170 lbs without much success. I eat a fairly healthy diet. I just need to be more dilligent about curtailing my eating -- I'm always hungry!

2013 races: Last season, I did 4 Olys, a sprint, and a duathlon. I had an up and down year. My swimming is gradually improving, but is still a major weakness. My bike and run are inconsistent. I still haven't been able to run under 50 minutes in an Oly triathlon yet -- but I'm planning to make it happen in 2014.

2014: Half-Marathon in San Francisco in Feb; a couple of sprints and Olys in March and April; HIM in June -- either Folsom Long Course or Boise 70.3 (I haven't decided yet). I'd also like to do another HIM in September...

Why I'll make a good mentee: I love to train, race, learn, make new friends, and share tips and experiences. Triathlon is a huge part of my life. I'm open to all advice. Hopefully, I can contribute some insights to the group based on my (good and not-so-good) experiences...

2013-12-21 8:05 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master
South Alabama

Steve-nice to have another 50+ athlete in the group. Glad to have you.

2013-12-21 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Count me in for another round, gentlemen!
2013-12-21 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Name: Jamie/WoodrowCall

Story: I'm 34, which means I just jumped up to the 35-39 AG, and live in Greenville, SC. I teach English at a nearby high school. I was never a runner, much less a swim/biker for most of my life; I considered myself active, but was never a guy who specifically exercised. I got into triathlon a couple years ago, after training for the Savannah RnR HM with some friends. I started with a local sprint, but caught the tri-bug pretty quickly after completing that race. Since then, I've done a good many sprints, a few Olympics, a couple HIM's and IM Lousiville.

Family: I got divorced this year, so that just leaves me with my dog, Gus.

Training: Right now, I'm in the off season, so I'm really just doing what I want. I recently started going to my local YMCA's Master's swim class, and I really enjoy it. I feel like I've made huge gains in my swim in just a few weeks. Otherwise, I still keep up my long weekend runs, 13-16 miles, and have just been going with short, but intense, trainer rides. I'll start properly training in January.

Weight loss/gain: Weight has been a funny thing: if you'd asked me before I started running, I wouldn't have said I was overweight, or not much, at least. However, since I started running, I've lost about 30 pounds. I'm about 155-160 now, which is nice. I've been happy that my weight stayed roughly the same after Louisville, with considerably less training volume.

2013 races: Last season, I did 4 Sprints, an Olympic, two HIMs, and one IM. I got my butt kicked by IM Louisviile, as Randy & Jason know, so I'm looking for redemption next season I did make some pretty good strides toward the end of the season as far as speed goes, in all three disciplines, so I'd like to improve on that next season.

2014: A-Race is IM Chattanooga. Everything else is a distant 2nd...I'm signed up for Rev3 Knoxville AG Championships, which should be fun, and IM Raleigh 70.3, which I did last year and enjoyed. I'll do some local sprints that I've done the past couple of years, but my main focus is definitely Chattanooga.

Why I'll make a good apprentice: I hate the word mentee...it's not a real thing haha. I know just a little bit about triathlon training after doing it for a couple years, but there's still a ton I don't know, and I love to learn new things. Once training gets going, I'm fully committed, so I'll be a solid contributor to the group once it gets going.
2013-12-21 10:24 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bryan, Steve, Jamie.

Welcome. We look forward to another great mentor session.
2013-12-22 3:51 AM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

, North Carolina
Name: Nathan (triathlonpal07)

Story: I am 22 years old and in my second season. I was relatively athletic in High School and College but never really competitive (baseball, flag football, soccer, cycling). I have been living overseas for the past two year and a colleague and I randomly decided to do a Sprint over here. Because of health reasons he had to pull out and he was my ride to the race so I ended up not racing, but on the day and time of the race I did a pretend race in our local lake where I had been training with my wife cheering me on. I also found a local TT where I was able to actually get a race in... Didn't do great but I had a respectable time for having not trained much for a TT other than my Tri bike training.

I am in a transition now back to the States and don't really know where I will land for sure. Will be in NC for a while and then possibly Alabama... But maybe VA?? It's all open now... I also am expecting my first child in July!!! So it will be a different race season this year

Family: Wonderful wife of 2 years and my first child (son???) on the way (Due July 17th).

Training: Been working on my run this off season. Try to get in a biker when I can, but with the move back to the States the run is the only thing I've been able to keep consistent. Hoping mid-Jan to get a bike and find a pool so I can get back into full training for the early races.

2013 Races:
Sprint Tri (see above... It doesn't really count tho) 1:24:28
Swim: 13:28
T1: 2:58
Bike: 41:14
T2: 1:07
Run: 24:08
Another thing to note is that the race was in early September and I didn't start training for it until mid June... So I was very happy with the performance and I smashed all of my goals for that race.

Individual Time Trial (20k): 20:10

2014 Goals: I'm writing my goals here instead of my races because the races are all up in the air with the planned moves etc. I would like my A race to be the Oak Island Bridge-to-Pier Triathlon (Sprint) on June 7th... But I'm not sure I'll make it to that one. I would also like to do another late A race with both an early and late B race to prepare for the A races...

This, however, is my list of goals and objectives that I wrote at the end of last season before the craziness of two moves became a possibility... But I'd still like to work towards these as much as

Some of you might notice that this is styled after the method used by Joe Friel in "The Triathlete's Training Bible"

Goal: Run a sub 18min 5k
Limiter: Run Speed Skills and Muscular Endurance
Objectives:
1. Transition to forefoot strike by start of Base 1
2. Break a 6min avg. pace in a training run by Base 3
3. Complete CFA 5k in 16min

Goal: Swim a 8min sprint distance
Limiter: Swim technique
Objectives:
1. Complete beginner swim course
2. Complete 1000m workout at 1:30 per 100m by Build 1

Goal: Race for the age group podium in Oak Island Tri
Limiter: Bike Speed Skills, Muscular Endurance and Transitions
Objectives:
1. Test LT HR by begin Base 2 and increase to ?? by begin Build 1
2. Avg. bike speed of 25mph (40kph) in Triangle Ortho. (April 19)
3. T1 time under 1:30 in Triangle Ortho. (April 19)

So that's about it. I'm looking forward to having a group to keep me motivated and to learn from you guys who have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

2013-12-22 6:10 AM

User image

Hi all, I'd love to join the group, if I fit in!

Nancy/el penguino

Story: I'm 43, turning 44 in 9 days (New Years Eve). This will be my first (of hopefully many) year of triathlons. A true newbie slowly getting into shape! I was kind of sporty up through high school. I swam on a small local swim team for a couple years as a little kid, played soccer all through high school. Always kind of middle of the back at best. After college, my brother conned me into playing ultimate frisbee, which I loved, and is how I met my husband. I ran a marathon way back in about 1998 ish, the Marine Corps Marathon. I've been kind of a slug since then, until this spring. I started the C25K this spring, got running and lost a bunch of weight. My boss at work started doing triathlons and got me interested in trying one myself. I'm slow in pretty much everything, but I'm really good at plodding on and on and on. I'm hoping to complete a half marathon and some sprints this summer.

Family: I've been married for 13 years this January to a way too smart physics professor, and have 2 great boys, 6 and 11. I also have 4 siblings, and lots of nieces and nephews. They have their father's brains and keep us and their teachers on their toes making sure they are actually challenged in their school work. I'm hoping they get the idea that being active is a great thing from me!

Training: I'm not sure how much time I'm spending right now, let's say 7 hours. I'm focused on building my run base back a bit as I had a bit of an overuse injury in November. I pushed my distance a little too fast and got a very sore hip. I took a lot of November off for that to heal and for another non-sports related medical thing to get sorted out. Now I'm in the middle of the Holiday Streak, so I'm running every day slowly and swimming 3-4 times a week, or at least trying too. My run mileage is based on the BarryP method, and my swim I'm kind of cobbling together at the moment as I try to build some endurance there too. I'm getting a swim coach in January for at least a couple sessions. The bike will come back out once I can ride better outside- in Vermont, riding in the winter is a bit of a challenge, and my swim and run could use the focus!

2014-
New Years Day 5K
Covered Bridge Half Marathon at the beginning of June
2-3 Sprints over the summer
really slim chance of running a marathon in the fall.
Turkey Trot 5K

2013 Season:
Turkey Trot 5K (38 minutes, and I have every intention of doing a lot better this year!)

Weightloss: I lost about 50 pounds over the spring and summer, have put about 10 back on with having Nov. off and the holidays. I was at 190, went down to under 140, and am now hovering around 150. I want to get back below 140, and we'll see after that!

Equipment: I have good running shoes, a decent swimsuit, and beat up road bike that works for now and Christmas is in 3 days! My husband and I are trying to find me a better road bike; I did a lot of riding back and forth to work last summer, and really want to get a decent light bike- the one I ride now is kind of a hybrid- thick tires, heavy frame. I'm not thinking a tri bike at all right now, it doesn't really make sense for me right now.

What will make me a good mentee?: I'm really at the sponge part of traithlons- reading a lot of stuff, soaking in the information and ideas, and trying to figure out what will work for me. I'm really hoping to get to a place where I can finish my races well, not fast, not placing but solidly and without falling apart afterwords.

2013-12-22 6:34 AM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

Name is John Lahr. I am 40 y/o and need some accountability! I have always been a runner (never that serious) and three years ago jumped into tri. Due to injury I didn't race (or train much) last year. About 6 weeks out from labral repair on shoulder and have just been given the clearance for running again. Probably won't be able to swim for another three months so my plan is to focus on bike (trainer for now) and run until then. Would like to do a couple of oly's by year end and then go to HIM next year.

Family: Married to a wonderful wife, two kids 3 y/o and 6 month old daughters.

Weight loss: Big goal ( and issue) for me. Currently around 240, need to be around 200!

Thats me in a nutshell! Would love to be a part of this, hopefully give some good inout as well as get some out!
2013-12-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: jmlahr

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all!

Jamie-welcome back! Good to have your insight on board for another group! Did you do the 12 days of Christmas swim you described in your blog? Looked brutal.

Nathan, Nancy and John-thanks for joining us. Feel free to ask any questions you may have or provide any thoughts you may have on an issue.

While the group is being formed please put your name at the end of each post so we can start to associate real names with screen names. Eventually we will post a list once to group fills up. Also, if you did not include it in your bio give us an idea of where you live. Can be very general if you prefer.

The mentor groups are one of my favorite things about doing triathlons and the beginning of a new group is always fun.

Steve-do you use a coach or pre set plan? Your swim workouts are really structured and well laid out.

2013-12-22 7:45 AM

User image

I figured I must have forgotten something!

I live in Vermont, near Middlebury, which is halfway between Rutland and Burlington.

Nancy/el penguino
2013-12-22 8:46 AM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Do you have room for a middle aged middle of the packer? I'm off for a run trying to beat the ice storm here in New England but I promise I'll do my Bio as soon as I get back.

Kevin

2013-12-22 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Good morning all!

Jamie-welcome back! Good to have your insight on board for another group! Did you do the 12 days of Christmas swim you described in your blog? Looked brutal.

I did do it, and it was brutal! The last two days were really tough, my arms felt like they were going to fall off! I am glad I did it though; the Master's class doesn't meet for the next couple weeks, so I'm going to try and keep getting my butt into the couple at least a couple times per week.

I'm heading out now for my long run. I figure I'm going to go 10, or so, and see how that feels. I hope everyone has a good Christmas eve eve eve...I think I got that right?
2013-12-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket Do you have room for a middle aged middle of the packer? I'm off for a run trying to beat the ice storm here in New England but I promise I'll do my Bio as soon as I get back. Kevin

Kevin-enjoy the run!

We are having severe thunderstorms here. Was hoping to get a swim in but pool will likely be closed. Heading to the garage for an easy hour on the bike.

2013-12-22 10:36 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
If there is room for another age-grouper - I'm in!

Story: Signing up for HIM in Calgary July 2014. Need tri-friends to bounce ideas.

Family: Married for 15 years to an extremely supportive wife. Two cats - not nearly as supportive, they are very demanding.

Training: Have been anywhere from 6-8 hrs a week, but require focus. Found a few of the HIM training plans of the BT site and I like them a lot.

2014 races: Local Oly in June, HIM in July, and Oly in Aug. San Fran, Vancouver, and Calgary half marathons for training along the way. Oddly enough, just about everything four weeks apart.

Weight: Unlike the skinny dudes - I have to be really careful. If I'm not paying attention the weight fluctuates 10 lbs in a real hurry.

What makes me a good mentee? I live near Edmonton and have a place to stay for Randy while he acclimates to his race!

Nelson

2013-12-22 11:16 AM

User image

New Brunswick
Hi guys. Would like to join the group if you have room for one more...

Name: Jon

Home: Fredericton, New Brunswick. Canada

Story: 37 year old father of two. Civil engineer who travels a lot for work - so training is difficult to squeeze in sometimes.

This will be my second season. Did my first sprint triathlon earlier this year and had a blast. Looking to move up to Olympic distance in 2014.

Training has taken a back seat the last couple of months, so just looking for a little motivation and training tips to get back in the routine.

Cheers,

Jon
2013-12-22 11:27 AM
in reply to: Jondpond

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I'd like to continue with the group!.  I'll update a bio and get it submitted today!

2013-12-22 11:32 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nelson and Jon-thanks for joining.

Suzy-great to have you back. Hope all is going well for you!

2013-12-22 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Originally posted by slornow

Steve-do you use a coach or pre set plan? Your swim workouts are really structured and well laid out.

Randy -- I started working with my coach, Mike Plumb (in Carlsbad, CA) just a couple of weeks ago. His swim workouts are very challenging (for me, at least). Before working with Mike, I rarely swam a session more than 2200 yards. So far, I'm happy just to finish a full workout. I feel really slow. I just started using a Garmin swim watch and it's giving me more info than I want to know... BTW, your swim workouts are really impressive -- tell me there's hope, please!

- Steve

2013-12-22 2:41 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Name: Kevin

Story: 46 year old male from Southern New Hampshire. I was finally able to kick a 20+ year smoking habit in the fall of 2008. Started run/walking to get in shape through 2009 although I didn't take it too seriously. I have a few good friends who are serious runners and they talked me into running my 1st 5K on New years day 2010. I think the only reason they invited me is because I've been sober since 1997 and they wanted a designated driver. I'm good with that plenty of people drove me around when I needed it, besides I made them pay my registration fee. Ran a few 5k's that year but didn't really take my running seriously until 2011. In the fall of 2011 I ran my 1st Half Marathon and ended up with a nasty case of ITBS. During my rehab my PT said no running for awhile so I decide to take up swimming in order to keep my aerobic base. How hard could it be right? After all I had just run 13 miles. Bwahaha! I couldn't even complete more than 50 yards without hanging on the wall gasping for air! I was hooked. On New Year's day 2012 I met up with my aforementioned friends for what had become our annual race. I asked them if they were interested in trying a couple triathlons with me and they jumped at the idea.
Did I mention these people are fast? They all run Boston in the 3:00 to 3:15 range. Which in itself is great, I am really proud of them. Unfortunately, that means they kick my butt. Don't get me wrong they are wonderful people and are very supportive. I'm just secretly sick of them standing at the finish line looking all nice and fresh cheering for me to finish as I try not to vomit all over myself. My goal is to someday be the one standing there waiting for them!

Family: I've been married to the same wonderful woman for the last 23 years. She is very supportive but I think inside she thinks I'm nuts. I have a 22 year old son and a soon to be 21 year old daughter. I know those two think Dad has lost his mind, they don't mind telling me so either.

Training: Right now I'm 5 weeks out from my 1st Marathon. The Mrs. and I are traveling to Florida at the end of January and she is doing her 1st HM. I really wanted to use this race to qualify for Boston in 2015 as I live 50 miles or so North of the city and know a lot of people who run it every year. Unfortunately, it looks like 3:25 is not in my foreseeable future so I'm looking to break 3:40. I was planning on swimming and riding the trainer on the off days of my training but I'm so tired/fatigued that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I promise after this Marathon it will be back to the pool and Trainer Road.

2013: Ran six 5K's, two 10K's, four sprints, a half marathon, as well as, completed my 1st 70.3. I was able to PR at every distance so I'm definitely getting faster, I just have to keep reminding myself I'm not 18 anymore and the gains will come albeit more slowly.

2014: Looks like pretty much the same schedule with perhaps two HIM's. Nothing set in stone quite yet, my friends and I are planning on meeting after the holidays to discuss 2014. Long term goal is to do a full IM in 2015.

Weight loss: I'm not overweight but I am definitely too heavy for an endurance athlete. Currently 5'7" and 172lbs.. I wanted to be around 160 for my upcoming marathon but that doesn't look it's going to happen. My diet needs a lot of work as I have a passion for ice cream, cookies, or anything unhealthy. I did just buy Matt Fitzgerald's book " Racing Weight" so I'm trying. I swear!
2013-12-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Steve,

For several years I did a couple 'Mike Plumb' swim workouts per week and they were always challenging. He is widely recognized as a fairly economical but really good coach.

Looks like we have a variety of skills and experience but as we said, all are welcome.

I would just repeat what Randy said about putting your name at the end of your posts. I am bad about names in person and really bad on the Internet so anything you can do yo help me out would be great

I had a really nice swim lesson this morning (I have been trying to do this every Sunday morning) followed by a tough swim set. The high school boys were doing a 'make-up' workout that they had missed yesterday because of an ice storm. It is both inspiring and humbling to be in the pool with a bunch of teenagers that can effortlessly out swim me. Very short run and the rest of the day is hanging out with friends who are visiting from out of town.

All in all, a very good day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.